2011 Music

After a first listen of Watch the Throne....Cunninlynguists can safely sit atop their mountain for the year.

Listened to Def Leppard's Mirror Ball: Live and More (Deluxe Version).... BEST ALBUM OF THE YEAR SO FAR! (We're waiting Nickelback/Aerosmith/maybe Blink-182 [none of you are as good as Def Leppard though]).

If someone can tell me why I had my hopes up for this in the first place, please do tell. Maybe it was the album art?

Trivium - In Waves

Generally the most descriptive term most people who rate albums on a frequent basis are able to find for Trivium and the whole genre of metalcore is 'balls'. I wouldn't concur that this is the most metaphorically figurative noun that can be said to depict the music of the given band into the minds of people. Yet, unfortunately it also holds some truth within, and the fiftfh studio album of Trivium exaplains why.

The rest of the review here.

pookar

Banned deucer.
k after 1 listen of wtt

its quite disappointing. nothing really hits you except a few parts in some songs. i only got really excited when "who gon stop me" started with the "i cant stop" sample, but mainly because i loved chiddy's freestyle over it on their mixtape earlier this year.. jay z shouldve stopped rapping a long time ago, hes just not writing good lyrics anymore

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
just gonna repost this from something i wrote earlier,

This LP (I think) is absolutely amazing. A word to describe the layering of the tracks would be delicate, and his sound at times is quite similar the The Books. A complex mix of strings, folk samples, light drums and modern synths make for a contemplative listening.

Notable tracks: Sixes & Nines, Goats Get Lost, He Quipped, Early Morning Bassenthwaite

It was actually offered for free download, as the mediafire link provided by bandcamp proves: http://absentfever.bandcamp.com/album/time-doesnt-exist-clocks-do

enjoy

I've been severely disappointed by basically every rap album I was looking forward to this year... This year officially sucks now. |:

I've been severely disappointed by basically every rap album I was looking forward to this year... This year officially sucks now. |:
tbh watch the throne has been decent to me versus lasers and finally famous which were both terribly disappointing

tbh watch the throne has been decent to me versus lasers and finally famous which were both terribly disappointing
amen to that man -- i could not get into lasers at all, unlike his previous albums.

i'm going to give watch the throne a listen tonight i think. right now i'm listening to a self-titled album by a band called yuck and it's decent. so far none of the tracks have stood out to me but it's solid (albeit pretty average), mellow, shoegaze-y stuff from the year 2011. speaking of which, has anyone listened to the new pains of being pure at heart? think i'll find that now...

Better.

amen to that man -- i could not get into lasers at all, unlike his previous albums.

i'm going to give watch the throne a listen tonight i think. right now i'm listening to a self-titled album by a band called yuck and it's decent. so far none of the tracks have stood out to me but it's solid (albeit pretty average), mellow, shoegaze-y stuff from the year 2011. speaking of which, has anyone listened to the new pains of being pure at heart? think i'll find that now...
The Pains of Being at Heart's album was fantastic. Definitely give it a listen.

The problem for me is that it's just decent. The production is fantastic as always, but all I can say for it is that it's a good attempt. The only rap album I've been somewhat impressed by this year was Cunninlynguist's Oneirology, and even then I was relatively disappointed.

Better.

The Pains of Being at Heart's album was fantastic. Definitely give it a listen.

The problem for me is that it's just decent. The production is fantastic as always, but all I can say for it is that it's a good attempt. The only rap album I've been somewhat impressed by this year was Cunninlynguist's Oneirology, and even then I was relatively disappointed.
We've talked about this before, so you know my opinion; Oneirology is IMO the second best CunninLynguists album behind A Piece of Strange. The Raekwon album from this year was decent too as long as you weren't expecting another OB4CL2, haven't listened to Watch the Throne yet but HAM was borderline horrible and Otis was decent but nothing amazing, so I'm not really expecting that much.

a piece of strange is definitely a great album. haven't heard the new one yet, but since it came up i have to ask for any good, recent hip-hop album recs if you guys have them. i saw a mixtape by big k.r.i.t. on pitchfork's best new music list (say what you will about that) that seems really good from the first few tracks. never heard of the guy before but he has good flow, the beats are good, and the dude is actually saying something. seems mellow.

i've been listening to belong and i'm enjoying it. thanks for putting a word in, arch -- i would probably have forgotten to check the album out had i not read your post.

We've talked about this before, so you know my opinion; Oneirology is IMO the second best CunninLynguists album behind A Piece of Strange. The Raekwon album from this year was decent too as long as you weren't expecting another OB4CL2, haven't listened to Watch the Throne yet but HAM was borderline horrible and Otis was decent but nothing amazing, so I'm not really expecting that much.
HAM isn't even on the regular version lol, the best tracks imo on the album after listening to it some more are No Church in the Wild, Niggas in Paris, That's My Bitch, Why I Love You and I am also partial to Gotta Have It

on another note, i hope cole world breaks the trend.

I thought Shabazz Palaces - Black Up was pretty great.

Swerve is one of the best singles of 2011 so far (which truthfully isn't saying too much). Relax by Das Racist comes out in like 3 days, but truthfully I'm not too excited.

pookar

Banned deucer.
goblin
random axe
chiddy bang - pb and swell (mixtape, album out soon)
the weeknd (r&b chill)
death grips - exmilitary (hobocore)
team teamwork - super nintendo sega genesis
frank ocean n/u (r&b)
raekwon's was ok
oneirology

thats all the 2011 hiphop that i liked at least a little bit

listened to new Ulver and the very few parts in it that were decent felt like they were just ripped off from their own Perdition City / Shadows Of The Sun albums, while the rest was just really fucking awful =/. the bad production didn't help it either. I think I was too generous when I gave it 1.5/5 on rym

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
shabazz palaces was definitely good, i dunno how to feel about das racist's new releases... i mean rapping 2 u is amazing and their few second best tracks are only 'quite good' at best.

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
yo that random axe album is fucking awesome. black milk continues to impress as a producer.

yes, random axe is really dope, and i dug shabazz palaces too.

shabazz palaces was definitely good, i dunno how to feel about das racist's new releases... i mean rapping 2 u is amazing and their few second best tracks are only 'quite good' at best.
i really love sit down, man
every song is gold to me, but idk

on the first one, a lot of them are hit n miss
im eagerly awaiting Relax 8)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)