2012 music

I saw a band called A Dying Regime live at a show my friends' band was doing. They are a pretty cool metal band and fairly small. They are dropping an EP in 2012 and I'm excited for it. First album I'll buy in a while.

I don't have much else to look forward to since almost all the bands I listen to are dead or disbanded or retired. :(

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Nada Surf - The Stars Are Indifferent to Astronomy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=honovfwgL9s
I think of Nada Surf the same way I think of Cursive: their early catalogue is so goddamn good, and they peaked awhile ago and every album is progressively weaker than the one before it. I'm apprehensive about a new one.

Im a bit lazy but.. any good hip hop been released yet? or any at all?
Really weak year for hip hop so far, Habits & Contradictions by Schoolboy Q is probably the best one released so far (and it's a 3/5 still). Definitely keep an eye on the new Big K.R.I.T. mixtape, here's the first song released (one of my favourites from this year): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9KiXVom3H0&feature=player_embedded

I think of Nada Surf the same way I think of Cursive: their early catalogue is so goddamn good, and they peaked awhile ago and every album is progressively weaker than the one before it. I'm apprehensive about a new one.
Only listened to Let Go (amazing album), so I can't say a lot about the material in-between, but I really like The Stars Are Indifferent to Astronomy. A lot of people disagree (it has a fairly low rating on rateyourmusic), but I think it's some really solid power pop.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Listen to High/Low and The Proximity Effect to see what they USED to be. "Power pop" should be the LAST thing used to describe Nada Surf.

High/Low and The Proximity Effect are definitely power pop. Anyways, their new album is really, really weak. It's sort of a shame, but then again I haven't really liked any of their albums past The Weight is a Gift.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
Then maybe my definition for "power pop" differs, because that calls Sleigh Bells to my mind. I'd call early Nada Surf post-grunge or something to that effect.

Whores. - Ruiner

This is actually from December 20th 2011. Sue me.

Ruiner is a pretty great debut EP from this sludge metal (apparently they call themselves noise rock but listen to it and tell me it isn't sludge) band. It is sufficiently massive and noisy and I like the vocals. Straight forward, pissed off music. Looking forward to more form these guys, if they build on what they've currently got they could go places.

Whores. - Tell Me Something Scientific

"Power Pop" to most people is the combination of pop sounding melodies with loud power chords. The biggest example that comes to mind would be Weezer. Other bands like Big Star, The Replacements, or Cheap Trick are pretty good examples too. I can't say it's the most definite genre though, anything alt-rock with a hint of a catchy vocal melody gets tossed into the power pop pile.

Sleigh Bells are mostly known as "noise pop." Which is basically the same thing if you were to ask me.

Discovered this guy just about 30 minutes ago while browsing bandcamp. Mystery Skulls - Freaking Out

If you don't dance while listening to this you don't have a heart. This is so catchy (And Justice-y?) and the video is so great.

Here is his website
Dropped by this thread just to see if anyone else had found this gem. I've been listening non-stop recently. Particularly like Keep it Together and Beautiful. Both are great, but the other stuff is just as good.

well, that works too I guess

it's a pretty good album, obviously not as great as their best ones, but kind of refreshing to see Kasher put out great material again. Don't know if it makes sense, but it's got a cabaret-esque vibe.

new grimes is simply magical but sadly the best tracks were all released earlier, so with the exception of symphonia ix the rest of the album pales in comparison. still, this girl is the future of music and her wailing ways will eventually pop up in the most mundane of car commercials

[youtube]f2xyCIK4ALo[/youtube]

on the plus side the song titles are so post-jpop or something that it feels like i'm looking at a boredoms album
I know it's alittle late, but I love the leaked Grimes. Don't really agree with you in best tracks either; Be a Body, Circumambient and Skin are my jams.

Always loved CFCF, looking forward to his new EP in April.
[youtube]ISM8INqYieQ[/youtube]

http://vimeo.com/35990197 plus his nightbus mixes are really gr8

Speaking of Cursive, listening to Burst and Bloom EP right now :naughty:

Van Halen
Van Halen
Van Halen
Van Halen
Van fucking Halen
Van Halen

[youtube]3HifMA7gCM0[/youtube]

Van Halen

Stay Frosty, dave

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)