PU 2021 PU Circuit Playoffs - Finals (Won by sensei axew)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gum

for the better
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
op copied from here & here, with modifications from myself

E4E715A9-6F7D-428D-B99C-3BE0405016A0.png

art by LifeisDANK, thank u!!

Congrats to the Top 16 players in the PU Circuit for making it this far!! All of this year's tournaments have finally led to this point. Now the Top 16 players will play to determine the winner of the Circuit, who'll be awarded with the PU Circuit Ribbon!

Tournament-Specific Rules
  • This is a standard SWSH PU Single Elimination Bo3 Tournament.
  • Matches are to be played on Pokemon Showdown!, preferably on the smogtours server.
  • General tournament rules and clauses apply.
  • Smogon-Wide Clauses still apply.
  • You may switch teams in between battles of the same set.
  • All matches must have replays saved and posted within the thread. All matches must be played publicly.
  • Any tier changes that occur after this post, if any, will not affect this tournament.
  • PU is a usage based tier. You can essentially use anything that is not in a higher tier or banned; anything in PUBL or higher is banned and cannot be used.
Standard Rules and Clauses
  • Species Clause: A player cannot have two Pokemon with the same PokeDex number on their team.
  • Sleep Clause: You cannot inflict sleep upon more than one member of the opposing team.
  • Evasion Clause: The moves Double Team and Minimize are banned.
  • OHKO Clause: The moves Horn Drill, Guillotine, Sheer Cold, and Fissure are banned.
  • Endless Battle Clause: Anything capable of intentionally creating an endless battle is banned.
Other tournament rules you should be aware of!
Identity

About playing on alts: It is entirely allowed to play on an alt other than your own main forum name, though if your opponent wishes to confirm your identity, you must log on to your main alt to show them you are who you claim to be. This is to prevent people from pretending to be who they're not.

About playing on different servers: The matches must be played on either the Smogtours server or the Main PS! server if both parties agree to that. Other servers are not sanctioned by the host(s) and playing in them might result in your game not counting. Protect yourself from that by playing on Smogtours.

Scouting

On scouting opponents: Going through your opponents replays of tournament and ladder games is entirely allowed, as long as a game is public there is nothing preventing you from watching it. An exception to this is abusing powers granted to you by being staff on Smogon or PS! to gain access to information a normal user wouldn't have access to, which is strictly forbidden.

On leaking teams: Divulging private information about someone's planned team to their opponent is never allowed, and will be heavily sanctioned. Requesting that such information be divulged is also grounds for punishment. Keep your scouting to publicly available information and you'll be fine.

Timer Clause / Disconnections

Timer Clause: As for taking long between moves, if your opponent asks you to hurry up, please oblige. If you are doing a damage calc for a key turn that is one thing, but prolonging every move is suspicious and annoying. Don't do it. Furthermore, Battle Timeout is a rule for a reason. If you run out of time, you lose, simple as that. It does not matter what your opponent says. Do not battle if you think you will have to leave mid battle, and instead reschedule for a better time.

Disconnections: Finally, in the case of a disconnect, the decision is in the hands of the player who did not disconnect. The options are: redo the battle move for move, redo the battle with the same teams but different moves, or redo the battle with completely different teams. If the battle was without a doubt over, they may also take the win. Any suspicion that a disconnect was committed on purpose to redo a match may be appealed to me, and if I feel this happened there will be severe consequences, don't do it.

Scheduling

Use VMs to schedule with your opponent to make it easier for me to track activity calls when needed, and use this guide to ensure you don't lose via activity or coinflip. If you use other methods to contact your opponent outside of VMs, then post in this thread confirming you're in contact with your opponent; otherwise, it's not necessary. Extensions for those with time conflicts will only be given when proof is provided of scheduling with their opponent in the beginning of the round, so do not schedule last minute expecting to be compensated in case of timezone conflicts or be given an activity win over your opponent.

I know that was a lot to read, but it is all necessary for me to have posted here so everyone can see it in the case of a dispute. I don't want any confusion or any problems.

1. TJ
2. Squash
3. watashi
4. mushamu
5. lockjaw
6. Vulpix03
7. eifo
8. tlenit
9. false
10. termi
11. chlo
12. Wingless
13. SOMALIA
14. sensei axew
15. zoowi
16. Xiri

Round 1
sprites by Lauriane, huge thanks!!

TJ vs Xiri - 1 | 2 | 3
3C8BEF1C-8D18-439D-AD84-133ED27B1EFB.png

Squash vs zoowi - 1 | 2 | 3
D55D5451-EF21-44D1-95F4-3F50B92F9921.png

watashi vs sensei axew - 1 | 2 | 3
51AEC96B-0742-474D-BF45-756931AB95A8.png

mushamu vs SOMALIA - 1 | 2 | 3
90010731-686A-4EAE-AD1E-0205B32878AF.png

lockjaw vs Wingless - 1 | 2 | 3
26AB32A7-8CE8-4F53-85C3-4FE5EAF6A055.png

Vulpix03 vs chlo - 1 | 2 | 3
0834EDAC-0A27-445E-A50A-03C49EE057EF.png

eifo vs termi - 1 | 2 | 3
C8856DA9-5A9A-454C-958F-FD278A2207E2.png

tlenit vs false - 1 | 2 | 3
DBE909AB-A0C4-4D67-B1FE-2153EB417791.png

the deadline for this round is sunday, december 12th 23:59 gmt-5!!
good luck and have fun to all participants! n_n

Last edited:

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
TJ vs Xiri - tj has a lot more experience with the current meta and has done rly well all circuit, xiri is good but i'd be silly not to pick tj here
Squash vs zoowi - i don't rate squash too highly as a player unfortunately, late seasonal runs plagued with act calls got him 2nd seed, and the games i have seen haven't really impressed me. should be fairly close though i'm leaning zoowi.
watashi vs sensei axew - idk how much effort watashi will put into this but he won open pretty easily and sensei is scared in my dms
mushamu vs SOMALIA - as long as mushamu knows how to cteam stall well it looks like a win, somalia doesn't rly look the same when he's using other stuff
lockjaw vs Wingless - probably the closest game here in my eyes, idrk who to pick but i don't want to be boring and abstain. both are good enough, probably lockjaw because he'll probably have some more support i think!
Vulpix03 vs chlo - not predicting my own game

eifo vs termi - better player, knows the meta more extensively, should be a win :blobthumbsup:
tlenit vs false - could go either way really, tlenit likes to use a lot of jank and it's rly hard to tell if it'll be good jank or bad jank. leaning false though especially if someone passes teams.

TJ vs Xiri
Squash vs zoowi
watashi vs sensei axew
mushamu vs SOMALIA
lockjaw vs Wingless
Vulpix03 vs chlo
eifo vs termi
tlenit vs false

PTF

girl
is a Tiering Contributor
What a stellar group of players! So hard to choose one player to win the whole thing because you're all excellent. Now, it's time for:

PTF's (very biased) predictions

TJ
vs Xiri - I remember when TJ first started playing PU many years ago and he was customising his Monferno EV's to some random configuration so that it checked and countered the mons he wanted in ORAS ladder. From that moment on, I knew the bloke was top notch. Xiri is not a threat to be taken lightly though and could very easily take this with his immense skill and excellent strategic oversight. Truly, the highlight match of this round and can't wait to watch!

Squash vs zoowi - I will always go for the French mdrrrrrrr. Squash has also just come off his first win in PUPL and that momentum would be very helpful in this matchup. The calibre in this pairing is top notch and you guys are great.

watashi vs sensei axew - There was a man I knew in uni who would play this Chinese song that goes like "wata molly, wata shimi," and whenever I read watashi's name I remember that song.

mushamu vs SOMALIA - Honestly, loyalty is dead with my African brethren Somalia being part of the UK team in PUWC.

lockjaw vs Wingless - It took me quite a while to realise what lockjaw's name could mean and when I thought I cracked the true meaning, I was more confused. Is your name referring to a dog's bite, tetanus, ice ice baby?? We need answers on the asap!!

Vulpix03 vs chlo - Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, OI OI OI!! Chlo's my neighbour, if I don't bold her name she'll come running after me with her bottle of red wine.

eifo vs termi - termi for tier leader when????

tlenit vs false - lol

Hera

Make a move before they can make an act on you
is a Social Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
Semi-serious predicts

TJ vs Xiri - Tbh TJ will probably win the entire thing unless hax, I don't see any reason predicting against him, although I think Xiri is skilled enough that an upset is possible
Squash vs zoowi - Let's go Northeast!
watashi vs sensei axew - I have not seen a single Sensei Axew PU game while watashi won PU Open but hasn't played in a while from my understanding. Leaning watashi here because it feels like the safer pick
mushamu vs SOMALIA - Better player imo, SOMALIA is definitely good and creative with his builds but mushamu just seems like a more consistent player overall. Hoping to see 100 turn matches though
lockjaw vs Wingless - This could go either way. I think both these players are around the same skill level, and while lockjaw does seem like a slightly more creative builder (or at least gets more creative teams, idk), the last time a similar match up happened Wingless won. I'm not 100% comfortable bolding either player
Vulpix03 vs chlo - Let's go Northeast!
eifo vs termi - Probably the most unpopular pick here but this feels like a contrast of momentum. termi hasn't been so hot lately, losing both of her PUWC games so far as well as going 5-4 in SCL after going for 15K. This isn't bad by any means but dissapointing after a strong PU Open run early in the year and a great PUPL showing. Meanwhile, eifo has been more impressive recently, doing very well in PULT and the random games I saw him play. You can definitely make the case that termi has played better players and has enough experience to stiffle eifo, but I think eifo has more momentum and motivation to win
tlenit vs false - False won the last time they played (I think), but tlenit's chances of winning increase once he knows how to catch his opponent's building habits off-guard with niche mons. Also very impressive performance in PUWC for tlenit so far, that stall team is very good

Best Pokemon Trainer class sprite: mushamu (very good taste, Tourist from X/Y is such an underrated and good-looking class)
Worst Pokemon Trainer class sprite: tlenit (dude seriously picked the most forgettable supporting Gen 6 character, most likely only because he wears a fedora)

Most heat set prediction: NP Golbat

Last edited:
TJ vs Xiri - love xiri but tj keeps winning literally everything

Squash vs zoowi - zoowi will bring some peculiar, innovative teams and it will work out just fine

watashi vs sensei axew - dude is one of the best players i have ever seen

mushamu vs SOMALIA - the stall shall prevail

lockjaw vs Wingless - i stole his team and then lost in a mirror match up vs him on the ladder to a last turn ribombee speed tie so he must be good

Vulpix03 vs chlo - did really well in the most recent ssnl

eifo vs termi - i played alright but got robbed w1 of puwc. with the exception of that game my playing has been atrocious recently. last time i won a tour game was months ago. hope i can turn it around a bit but i'm certainly no favourite in this one, seeds notwithstanding.

tlenit vs false - tlenit's been really good this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)