Metagame 2v2 Doubles

The first thing I would like to do is initiate a discussion on whether Mega Salamence should be banned or not.

Mega Salamence has been an everpresent threat in the 2v2 doubles metagame. It was unbanned from DOU in Sun/Moon(banned in ORAS) and stayed so with the main reasons being the Aerilate nerf (from *1.3 to *1.2) and the Jirachi ban.
Nevertheless, Salamence-Mega is ridiculously versatile since it has a variety of moves it can utilize. Its access to Double-Edge, Hyper Voice and Giga Impact/Hyper Beam make it an excellent wallbreaker, while it can also help its teammates by setting up Tailwind and use Fire Blast to counter Steel Types that may trouble it.
Thanks to its pre-mega ability being Intimidate, it can shut down strong Physical attackers that are quite common in this metagame. Fairy-types that counter Salamence (especially Pixilate users),while common, can be checked by Salamence's teammates thus making nearly any core with Salamence tough to beat.

On other hand, a powerful Hidden Power Ice user could destroy Salamence in one hit without being a Fairy-, Ice-, or Rock type
and thus usually weak to Steel.
Furthermore, common pokemon like defensive Tapu Fini, other Water Types and Speed Control users either resist or take neutral damage from Salamence's STAB Aerilate-boosted flying attacks snd coverage moves or can neutralize it's high speed stat with Trick Room, moves like Icy Wind (which Salamence also,happens to be 4* weak too) and more.

So, should Salamence-Mega (Salamencite) be banned from 2v2 doubles?

Last edited:

Rumplestiltskin

I will rain lels all over you and you will drown in them
Probably, it has demonstrated its not so slight superiority in the games I've played.

But Megamence is hardly the largest issue right now. Z moves being allowed is far more of a pressing issue, with "insta-weather" right behind. It's not even close how messed up it is having Z moves allowed compared to having Megamence allowed.

Garou

Banned deucer.
I think that zmoves seem really broken in this tier. I have not played it so this is theorymonning on my part, but in a tier where there is no switching such as this, unlike in regular doubles where you can pivot out of an incoming zmove you can't do that here. While I feel like I may be stating the obvious I still think it needs to be said. Also on the topic of Mega Mence I don't think it would be broken because of the damage reduction in hyper voice when it hits two pokemon at the same time, like other 'split' moves, and this in combination with almost needing to run protect leads it to quite an unfortunate case of not being able to run all the coverage options it wants to, giving it a case of 4mss that I feel like would hold it back from being completely broken.

Rumplestiltskin

Another thing that should be obvious, but might not be to everyone (thanks qsns), is the factor that compared to 6v6, 2v2 Doubles doesn't have the rest of the game to even out the impact of the Z moves. This could probably already be inferred from my analysis here, but to clarify further, with Z allowed, 2v2 Doubles is centered around the part of the game where Z is used, a part which in regular games is only a fraction of the entire game. Which as I keep stressing, takes the metagame way more into the "kill or be killed ASAP" type of battles, which is undesirable for a healthy metagame.

To add further justification, based on the post OU's tiering policy framework is based on, "Characteristics of a Desirable Pokemon Metagame":

Balance
All viable playing options and strategies should be as competitively balanced as possible, in relation to each other.

Explanation:
When any elements of the metagame are considerably better than others, it gives an intrinsic advantage to players that prefer or excel with the superior elements, and handicaps players who are most proficient with other elements. This skews the player base, and hinders the potential to develop new ideas and attract new players. In order to ensure widespread appeal, the metagame should not be unbalanced for or against any particular viable strategy or expert playing option, if it is reasonably possible to avoid.
Other Comments:
This characteristic is typically underlying arguments about something being "overpowered". Variety refers to the breadth of aspects of the metagame; Balance addresses the magnitude of those aspects relative to each other. While these characteristics are probably closely correlated, they are two distinct aspects and care should be taken when discussing the merits of each.
Building on my analysis posts (initial post, follow up post), looking at the cost vs reward ratio, Z-moves are much better than other combinations of moves + items in most cases, which translates into that currently, "all viable playing options and strategies" are not "as competitively balanced as possible, in relation to each other".

Skill
The metagame should require knowledge and practice to become an expert player and to achieve consistent success at the highest levels of play.

Explanation:
Although the metagame is based on Pokemon, which has fairly simple basic gameplay, the metagame should require skill to master. The ability to increase proficiency through study and hard work is the hook that draws players to become avid practitioners of the metagame. The metagame should recognize and reward players with the most knowledge, talent, and dedication. All players should feel that it is within their power to "master the metagame".
Other Comments:
This characteristic addresses how the metagame is played, and how success is defined and rewarded. While it can be difficult to truly determine who is "the best" at any given time or in any given competition -- the overall metagame should cultivate a perception (if not reality) that more skilled players will experience greater success than lesser skilled players.
Again going back to my analysis, the fact that Z moves undermines the system of archetypes (i.e. pokes that specialize in support or bulkiness/defense not having to give up offensive power thanks to Z) is an attack on skill, which normally entails having to consider weaknesses and strengths of different pokes/sets and building your strategy by selecting what to specialize in and what to give up.

I made an updated banner by the way motogp
2v2-doubles4.png

dom

Banned deucer.
Another thing that should be obvious, but might not be to everyone (thanks qsns), is the factor that compared to 6v6, 2v2 Doubles doesn't have the rest of the game to even out the impact of the Z moves. This could probably already be inferred from my analysis here, but to clarify further, with Z allowed, 2v2 Doubles is centered around the part of the game where Z is used, a part which in regular games is only a fraction of the entire game. Which as I keep stressing, takes the metagame way more into the "kill or be killed ASAP" type of battles, which is undesirable for a healthy metagame.

To add further justification, based on the post OU's tiering policy framework is based on, "Characteristics of a Desirable Pokemon Metagame":

Building on my analysis posts (initial post, follow up post), looking at the cost vs reward ratio, Z-moves are much better than other combinations of moves + items in most cases, which translates into that currently, "all viable playing options and strategies" are not "as competitively balanced as possible, in relation to each other".

Again going back to my analysis, the fact that Z moves undermines the system of archetypes (i.e. pokes that specialize in support or bulkiness/defense not having to give up offensive power thanks to Z) is an attack on skill, which normally entails having to consider weaknesses and strengths of different pokes/sets and building your strategy by selecting what to specialize in and what to give up.

I made an updated banner by the way motogp
View attachment 102428
just use protect

Reactions: RR

Rumplestiltskin

I wouldn't write it off that quickly, it's not that bad. And are you saying gimmicks can't be viable in 2v2 Doubles? 2v2 Doubles is the place for gimmicks.

Reactions: pqs
2v2 is the new OMOTM

And now,it's time to put aside Mega Salamence and deal with possibly the biggest problem in 2v2

Z-Crystals
Should they all be banned?
Should some of them be banned?
Should they stay in the metagame?
I'd love to hear some opinions,and I shall post my own opinion soon.

Rumplestiltskin

Right, Z-Moves in 2v2! I'll be using the link Rumplestiltskin posted to justify my stance, but before that, let me make my point clear; I stand for a DNB ON ALL Z-MOVES !!

Variety
The metagame should have the widest possible variety of playing options and strategies that are viable and competitive for knowledgeable players.
“But Rumplestiltskin, Z moves make more pokes viable, how can you not want that? There’s no way that something that makes more pokes viable should be banned.”

First of all, while some pokes become more viable, others take a hit. Second of all, become viable at what cost? You don’t allow something broken just because it makes more pokes viable. In fact, I’d wager it’s a given that broken moves would make more pokes viable. If Perish Song was allowed on more pokes, we would get more viable pokes then too. And when it got banned in 1v1 for example Lapras and Murkrow fell real hard in viability. Just because something makes more pokes viable doesn’t mean it’s not broken, and you don’t keep broken stuff in a metagame just because they make more pokes viable.

I can’t speak about 2v2 as I have no experience playing it. But Z-Crystals should only be banned if the alternative is banning a significant number of Pokémon. We tier Pokémon, not moves or items.
The move Perish Song is banned in both 1v1 and 2v2 Doubles due to circumstances caused by the format, same goes for the accuracy dropping moves in 1v1. Items get banned too if needed, most recent being Focus Sash in 2v2 Doubles (however questionable that quickban was) and in 1v1 since gen6. Different formats require different actions to achieve the goal, which is a competitive, balanced, and healthy metagame. A multitude of reasons for why Z moves as a whole don't belong in 2v2 Doubles has already been outlined and justified using Smogon guidelines and general logic for a balanced and healthy metagame.

And as already concluded by the analysis, the alternative is "banning a significant number of Pokémon", with significant being an understatement.

And as already concluded by the analysis, the alternative is "banning a significant number of Pokémon", with significant being an understatement.
A Significant Number

I’m not really sure which Pokémon these would be. It’s seems like you think it’s obvious, but I would use Z-Tapu Bulu in 2v2. It’s my impression that it would probably not be included in this ban. I’m not sure where the line would be in a meta where Pokémon that are broken with Z-Moves are banned.

But Rumplestiltskin, Z moves make more pokes viable, how can you not want that? There’s no way that something that makes more pokes viable should be banned.”

First of all, while some pokes become more viable, others take a hit. Second of all, become viable at what cost? You don’t allow something broken just because it makes more pokes viable. In fact, I’d wager it’s a given that broken moves would make more pokes viable. If Perish Song was allowed on more pokes, we would get more viable pokes then too. And when it got banned in 1v1 for example Lapras and Murkrow fell real hard in viability. Just because something makes more pokes viable doesn’t mean it’s not broken, and you don’t keep broken stuff in a metagame just because they make more pokes viable.
Perish Song Ban

Now, I strongly disagree with your characterization of a Perish Song meta. Certainly, the viability of Marowak, Lapras, Azumarill, Sableye, Meloetta, and I’m sure a few others would increase with Perish Song around. But the corresponding decrease in an even larger number of Pokémon that auto-lose to Perish Song would mean the number of viable Pokémon would go down.

Perhaps I’ve misunderstood, but I always thought this was the justification for the Perish Song ban in 1v1 and 2v2. It becomes impossible to run passive Pokémon and teams because they just lost to Perish Song.

A Z-Move Meta and A Z-Moveless Meta

On the other hand, I’ve always sort of felt the opposite about Z-Moves than Perish Song. These are just my feelings from playing 1v1 and 2v2 a lot.

I don’t think that, for example, banning Tapu Koko and Kyurem-Black from using Z-Moves would be met by a large increase in the use of previously unviable and unused Pokémon. I think it would instead be met by an increase in the same Pokémon used now that don’t use Z-Moves and to a lesser extent by the Pokémon that had used Z-Moves using other items.

Rumplestiltskin

A Significant Number

I’m not really sure which Pokémon these would be. It’s seems like you think it’s obvious, but I would use Z-Tapu Bulu in 2v2. It’s my impression that it would probably not be included in this ban. I’m not sure where the line would be in a meta where Pokémon that are broken with Z-Moves are banned.
Where such power was once due to a selection of pokes with big offensive stats, pokes with access to devastating moves, and pokes with type advantages, it is now available to pretty much any poke without utterly horrible offensive stats (which is the majority of viable pokes, if not the majority of all pokes). Where such pokes were once utilized for their other traits, traits for strats such as setup, support, walling, or whatever else, they can now have a strong attack (as in strength comparable to pokes that specialized in attacking) in addition to their role/use. That alone makes for unfair gameplay as such pokes now in addition to their specialization also get to nuke. This scales down the entire system of pokemon archetypes. An due to the sheer power of Z attacks, even the system of type effectiveness is scaled down to almost nothing. Who needs type effectiveness when you can just use Z to nuke everything not immune? Again keep in mind that even if the same applies to 6v6, the impact is tripled here. Now if Z-moves can provide such power to pokes that didn’t specialize in attacking, what do they provide to pokes that do? They make them unmanageable to deal with through any means other than outspeeding them and KO’ing them before they do the same to you.

“But Rumplestiltskin, why not just ban the pokes that you say become unmanageable due to Z-moves?”

Because it would mean losing a majority (if not all) of all offensive pokes at the very least, and the meta would still be unbalanced due to the massive power boost to everything (the unfair gameplay mentioned above).
I hope this gets the point across. Though I will have to make a correction to my initial statement about type effectiveness. A more accurate description of the reality is that the battle heavily hinges on type effectiveness more than anything else, with Z still being able to nuke its way through type disadvantages to varying extents, moreso than regular moves ever could.

Perish Song Ban

Now, I strongly disagree with your characterization of a Perish Song meta. Certainly, the viability of Marowak, Lapras, Azumarill, Sableye, Meloetta, and I’m sure a few others would increase with Perish Song around. But the corresponding decrease in an even larger number of Pokémon that auto-lose to Perish Song would mean the number of viable Pokémon would go down.

Perhaps I’ve misunderstood, but I always thought this was the justification for the Perish Song ban in 1v1 and 2v2. It becomes impossible to run passive Pokémon and teams because they just lost to Perish Song.

A Z-Move Meta and A Z-Moveless Meta

On the other hand, I’ve always sort of felt the opposite about Z-Moves than Perish Song. These are just my feelings from playing 1v1 and 2v2 a lot.

I don’t think that, for example, banning Tapu Koko and Kyurem-Black from using Z-Moves would be met by a large increase in the use of previously unviable and unused Pokémon. I think it would instead be met by an increase in the same Pokémon used now that don’t use Z-Moves and to a lesser extent by the Pokémon that had used Z-Moves using other items.
The point is that you don't allow unhealthy elements and break the meta so that more pokes can become viable. In any case Z-moves do hinder the viability of strats beyond "nuke or be nuked ASAP". It's not (edit)only about different pokemon, but about balance.
Balance
All viable playing options and strategies should be as competitively balanced as possible, in relation to each other.

Last edited:
Tapu Bulu
What I was trying to say with my Z-Tapu Bulu example was the the power level of most Z-Users falls below that of other non-Z-Users. It seems clear to me that Victini and Mega-Lopunny are better, or at least not worse, than any Grassium Z Tapu Bulu set. No one wants to ban Victini and Mega-Lopunny. But somehow Grassium Z is too strong? What about the really bad Z-Crystals like Poisinium-Z and Buginium-Z?

The Real OP Thing About Z-Moves
I could maybe get behind Z-moves allowing Pokémon to be too bulky and set-up too easily, but I don’t remember that being a problem in 2v2. Or to run utility moves at too little opportunity cost. I don’t see these things mentioned too much though. Those are real issues I could see with Z. The power level of Z-moves is matched by Mega Pokemon and Choice items.

Protect
Partys Over’s suggestion isn’t that outlandish in a game mode where Protect is probably the best move.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Fly
- Rock Slide

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Draco Meteor
- Heat Wave
- Tailwind
This Sounds Like a Pretty Good Core. Pretty Sure I will add some Ice And Hail Counters, But Besides that, the two support each other's weaknesses and counter most of what I think will be viable. Tailwind support is Vital, and Sun, what i think will be a major threat, Crumples to this core.

dom

Banned deucer.
Partys Over’s suggestion isn’t that outlandish in a game mode where Protect is probably the best move.
yes it really is, it's a complete meme. the idea of the post was to parody the "just use ice beam" mentality of ORAS when megamence was allowed and broken

This metagame is really fun and I'm glad it got OMotM. Here's the team I've been using with a fair amount of success (click each gif to see each set):

The most common pairings I usually send out are either Stakataka and Cresselia for decent Trick Room synergy or Mega Abomasnow and Porygon-Z for some extreme Blizzard Spam. I find the latter working especially well given a Scarf mon being unexpected on a Trick Room team. I'll post some more replays here when I actually get some good ones.

Abomasnow-Mega @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Ice Shard
- Protect

Stakataka @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- Protect

Cresselia @ Psychium Z
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Future Sight
- Trick Room
- Ice Beam
- Moonblast

Porygon-Z @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Hyper Beam
- Shadow Ball

Last edited:

pqs

Banned deucer.
Fun 2v2 Core
+
(or any Flash Fire)

Because of Mind Blown mechanics, it affects both of the opponents and your teammate, Flash Fire is the key ability in this game, letting Heatran/any mon have Flash Fire activate, letting it set up a Heat Wave or Rock Tomb depending on the situation, doing alot of damage in total.

Blacephalon @ Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Mind Blown
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
- Knock Off / Hyper Beam / Dark Pulse

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 108 HP / 164 SpA / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power / Overheat
- Flash Cannon
- Rock Tomb / Rock Slide

(I don't know much about this metagame so far so i'm using 1v1 sets for the most part.)

Last edited:
As the only other OM I play beside 1v1, I like this meta pretty much, and am fascinated by the sheer number of innovative (and some fairly scummy) ideas the ladder is churning at the moment. But this post is not meant to analyse those strats. This post is meant to call for a ban on a Pokemon: Tapu Koko.

tapukoko (1).gif

Right from the genesis of gen7 2v2dubs, all Guardian Deities were quite OP, Tapu Koko more significantly over the others. A 130 Speed stat, coupled with mixed offensive capabilities, and a fantastic ability in Electric Surge. This makes it a perfect glass cannon on its own. What I believe makes it banworthy, is the overwhelming speed tier it gives to two Pokemon when on the field with them- Unburden Pokemon like Hawlucha, Sceptile, Hitmonlee, which can have its held Electric Seed activated, and Alolan Raichu, which reaches a maximum speed of 700 under Electric Terrain because of its Surge Surfer. Alolan Raichu also gets a signature Z Move, Stoked SparkSurfer which, under Electric Terrain, OHKO's any un-Protected, non-resisting Pokemon.

For all the mentioned reasons, I believe Tapu Koko is worthy of a suspect, and in such a suspect, I'll vote to BAN TAPU KOKO

tldr; Koko makes some Pokemon very fast, and is a fast oven itself, so suspec it

Rumplestiltskin

I really don't want to keep quoting my own post like this, are you sure you've read the entire discussion yet? If you have, I really don't see how this is countering what I've already said about the stuff you're bringing up.

Tapu Bulu
What I was trying to say with my Z-Tapu Bulu example was the the power level of most Z-Users falls below that of other non-Z-Users. It seems clear to me that Victini and Mega-Lopunny are better, or at least not worse, than any Grassium Z Tapu Bulu set. No one wants to ban Victini and Mega-Lopunny. But somehow Grassium Z is too strong? What about the really bad Z-Crystals like Poisinium-Z and Buginium-Z?
“But Rumplestiltskin, Smogon’s guidelines is to only ban the absolute necessary. What if not all Z-crystals are banworthy? Are you saying that Buginium-Z for instance is broken? LOL”

If one Z-crystal is broken then they all are, this isn't monotype where you ban things based on type. If a Z-crystal is broken, it isn't because of its type, but because of the other reasons mentioned. Just because some of the most used pokes resist the Bug type doesn't mean that Buginium-Z does what it does any differently than the other Z crystals. It just means that it will do less damage against the pokes that resist the Bug type, which shouldn't hold any relevance to balancing unless you're saying “screw the pokes that don't resist Bug”. You could also mean that no currently strong popular poke has X-type to use X-type Z-crystal with, which again shouldn't hold relevance because I'm arguing that Z is broken for what it is and does nonetheless, regardless of how popular a certain type Z-crystal is.

The Real OP Thing About Z-Moves
I could maybe get behind Z-moves allowing Pokémon to be too bulky and set-up too easily, but I don’t remember that being a problem in 2v2. Or to run utility moves at too little opportunity cost. I don’t see these things mentioned too much though. Those are real issues I could see with Z. The power level of Z-moves is matched by Mega Pokemon and Choice items.
“But Rumplestiltskin, what about megas, they’re also only usable on 1/6 of your team?”

The difference is that this isn’t Mix and Mega, where you could slap on a mega stone on any poke. Megas are viewed as individual pokes, and if a certain mega poke proves to be broken, it can get banned. Megas should be subject to more scrutiny here though as there's way less opportunity cost here than in a 6v6.
“But Rumplestiltskin, what about choice band and choice specs, don’t they boost moves base power to Z levels and even slightly above? How can you want Z banned, but not choice items?”

Except that there is a drawback to using choice, which is that you're choice locked, which can very much be exploited/punished in 2v2 Doubles. And choice can be used on all 6 pokemon in 6v6, unlike Z. Z's drawback, which is that you can only use it once per battle is extremely diminished in 2v2 Doubles, that's a clear difference. Being choice locked, if you think about it thoroughly, means that any poke that didn’t use choice band/specs is uniquely able to profit from Z due to the nature of sets that prefer not to use or don’t work with band/specs. Pokes such as the ones mentioned above, i.e. pokes that didn’t specialize in attacking, or pokes that setup. Even pokes that would previously use choice items, can now opt for setup + Z.

Protect
“But Rumplestiltskin, just use Substitute or Protect.”

That’s overcentralizing. Protect is one of the best moves to have in Doubles, but being forced to bring Substitute or Protect just for Z, even in cases where you otherwise wouldn’t have is not an indicator of a healthy metagame. And unless you’re a psychic in real life, you don’t know the exact turn your opponent will use their Z-attack, meaning Substitute and Protect are not very reliable answers.

And speaking of Protect, due to Z-attacks’ ability to bypass Protect, that damage, even while cut to 25%, is still in some cases enough to do a number (talking 75% HP in some cases) on pokes at a type and/or stat disadvantage, while also doing a decent chunk when hitting neutrally.

I don’t understand how Z-Moves can be worse or as good as other items and Pokémon but also be too strong and need to be banned. It’s like saying Tapu Fini is worse than Tapu Koko, but also too strong and overcentralizing, while at the same time Tapu Koko is better but isn’t too strong.

Just because some of the most used pokes resist the Bug type doesn't mean that Buginium-Z does what it does any differently than the other Z crystals. It just means that it will do less damage against the pokes that resist the Bug type, which shouldn't hold any relevance to balancing unless you're saying “screw the pokes that don't resist Bug
Extreme Evoboost isn’t OP because only Eevee learns it. Buginium Z isn’t good because Bug is a terrible attacking type. There is nothing broken about it. The idea that a meta with, say, only Buginium Z allowed would somehow prevent you from using Hoopa-Unbound because Buginium users would rule the meta is just silly. I think banning some Z-moves is a terrible idea, by the way. It’s just an example, since you mention that Pokémon that don’t resist Bug would somehow be at a disadvantage if Bug Z-Moves were the only ones allowed.

Basically I’m saying Z-Moves are balanced compared to other things. They are so good as to be the only option on certain Pokémon, like Landorus-T, but it’s not because Z-Moves are so good, it’s because non-Z-Move Lando-T is hot garbage.

Protect
You don’t have to run Protect for Z-Moves. You would run Protect anyway. That was the whole point of taking Dom’s stupid comment seriously. In 6v6, some Pokémon would be too OP, except Stealth Rocks make them not. There’s no cost to running Stealth Rocks, so these Pokémon are allowed to remain. There’s almost no cost to running Protect in 2v2.

Any Pokémon taking 75% from a Z-Move through Protect would die anyway to a non-Z-Move.

The point is that you don't allow unhealthy elements and break the meta so that more pokes can become viable
That’s the exact opposite of what the characteristics say, and what the Perish Song ban did. The goal should be to have as many viable Pokémon and strategies as possible because that is more fun. You used Perish Song as an example of a decision that reduced the number of Pokémon that could be used, when it did the exact opposite. It vastly increases the number of usable Pokémon. That’s the whole point of banning it!

Why would anyone want to reduce the number of useful Pokémon, items, or moves in any metagame, let alone one with so many different options as 2v2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)