Pet Mod Megas for All v6 (Slate 11 - Chandelure, Bisharp, Gothitelle, Conkeldurr)

Should we start metagame development?

• Yes

Votes: 12 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Last thread was made by Heavyweapons Mann
Previously run by Heavyweapons Mann
Original thread and concept by acestriker19
Approved by G-Luke

Megas For All v6

Thanks to G-Luke for this amazing banner!

Welcome to the sixth edition of Megas For All! Due to certain constraints, Heavyweapons Mann is unable to continue leading this project, so I am taking their place. We are going to have a revamp, because of issues with coding as well as new mechanics for Mega Evolution stats, which you will see down below. With that said, let's get right to the rules.

Step One: Submissions
We're gonna go through Megas, 2 or 3 at a time. The council will give a few set guidelines to go by, which includes limitations to moves and abilities gained, as well as how stat changes can be made. You can add 2 new moves to a mega, unless the amount of moves specified that more can be added. If you add another type to your Mega, you can add up to THREE more moves. When adding new moves to your submission, please make sure that they do not end up making the mon in question broken. The maximum that you can decrease the BST by is -80 total, though allowing more/disallowing less will be on a case-by-case basis based on flavor and brokeness. In general, min-maxing (decreasing one stat a lot to get more points to spend) is very much discouraged. You also can't increase HP. Other than that, you can make roughly whatever changes you want to your Mega Evolution, be it changing its stats from a special attacker to a physical wall, changing/removing its primary or secondary typing (you can't change both types), or adding moves that don't seem to fit the Pokemon at hand.

A few big things we want to prioritize this go around with the submission process: What can actually beat your submission, and what can it do that the base form can't? As a rule of thumb: if your submission requires something absurdly niche to be run (think Cofagrigus' popularity in the XY Kangaskhanite Metagame), it's likely not balanced! However, we do still want the Megas to differ from the base forms, so if you'd like to make a clear path for a Pokemon to beat a few of its checks, but not all, go for it! If your submission is too OP for the metagame, it'll be disqualified when voting comes around.

Custom abilities are banned UNLESS they are a clone of an existing ability or you provide code. This means you can have abilities like a dark -ate, a psychic Water Absorb, or a Fairy-type Heatproof. In addition using aspects of multiple abilities to make a new ability is tolerated. You can also make a custom ability, but must provide code for it. This phase will last for 5 days.

The New Stats Mechanics (FORMER SUBMITTERS PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE READ THIS):

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/megas-for-all-v6-revamp.3666825/#post-8526315

ABILITIES THAT CANNOT BE CLONED:
- Air Lock/Cloud Nine
- Corrosion
- Dancer
- Early Bird
Less likely to be relevant:
- Klutz
- Propeller Tail/Stalwart
- RKS System/Multitype

PARTS OF ABILITIES THAT CANNOT BE CLONED:
- Illusion asking the player to choose their team order (this actually doesn't happen for Megas with Illusion anyway, though)
- Levitate making the Pokémon pass as non-grounded (you can still have a straight immunity to any type you want)

This is not to say that these effects cannot be replicated at all, but it certainly isn't a simple copy/paste of an existing Ability.
With that in mind, you may be required to provide code yourself if you want to copy the effect of one of these Abilities!
They are not considered clones for the purposes of that rule.

Step Two: Voting
For the betterment of everyone's inboxes, we'll do simple, in thread voting. You'll vote for your top three favorite megas, in order of preference. Your first choice will receive 3 votes, your second 2, and your third 1. You may vote for yourself, but not as your first pick. You can also suggest future slates if you so desire. This phase will last for 2 days.

Step Three: Metagame Development
This is the more tricky part because I'm not quite sure how the coding of this will go, but amidst the next submission stage, I'd like to be able to see the mega's effect in an overall metagame (and if possible, an otherwise unaltered NatDex OU with just one mega in it) would be! We could give ideas for cores, team styles, and movesets for the new megas at this point. This is a stage that can really take place for any completed mega at any time. Dynamaxing is banned entirely, as is Gigantamaxing.

IMPORTANT RULES:

1. NO SWEARING
2. BE NICE TO OTHERS

Charizard-Mega
Ability: Blaze / Solar Power ---> Tough Claws
Typing: Fire / Dragon
Stats:
HP 78 ---> 78
Atk 84 ---> 130 (+46)
Def 78 ---> 111 (+33)
SpA 109 ---> 130 (+21)
SpD 85 ---> 85
Spe 100 ---> 100
BST 534 ---> 634

I feel like this is an interesting take on Charizard in that it goes for a more physical approach, whereas the base forme is more specially oriented in lower tiers. For starters, I gave it the dragon typing it so obviously deserves. To make it viable as a physical attacker, I needed to give it both a significant attack boost and some form ability which can help give it the power it would be losing without an item. I took care not to increase the speed stat so that a fair amount of Scarfers could still outspeed it after one Dragon Dance. This will most likely end up using a bulkier DD sweeper (see Gyarados) or an SD wallbreaker with scary dual stab coverage!

Mons that could beat this don't seem too hard to find, physically defensive ground mons like Hippowdon and Landorus-T can switch in fairly easily and hit it with a SE ground Stab, since it's losing the flying typing. Bulky waters could pose issues for it as well!

Here's kinda a rough concept i had for its design. Unoriginal I know but its just a rough idea.

Mega ~
New Ability: ~ ----> ~
New Typing: ~

New Stats:

HP: ~ ----> ~
Attack: ~ ----> ~
Defense: ~ ----> ~
Special Attack: ~ ----> ~
Special Defense: ~ ----> ~
Speed: ~ ----> ~
Base Stat Total: ~ ----> ~
New Moves: ~
Description: ~

Let me know if I should change any ability rankings.
[/hide]

The Council:

:Bisharp: ImperialGamer517 (Head)

:beedrill-mega: War Incarnate
:meowstic-f: Ausma
:xerneas: Hematite

Feel free to PM me or post on my wall if you want to apply as a council member!

Past Slates: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ezRaTQ_aJ7LSPJ6QqRvRTwfvQQyczACvW57y1OYfqwo/edit?usp=sharing
Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ixj-NprW8BiIuShAgXDFkHi6dle_I6jZ3nXg5JKooEU/edit?usp=sharing

Metagame Resources:

WIP

WIP

Last edited:
BIG ANNOUNCEMENT:

Because of the problems the have arisen with coding (see the last page of Megas for All v5), we, unfortunately, may have to start Megas for All from scratch just like V3. I’ve contacted G-Luke about this already, and if he approves, we unfortunately have to begin from scratch.

Edit: Me and Petuuuhhh have talked about this privately, and we have decided to place the new ability Unseen Fist in Rank 5, due to how good it is. Unseen Fist is like unlimited Z-moves, in which you ignore the target’s protection.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
BIG ANNOUNCEMENT:

Because of the problems the have arisen with coding (see the last page of Megas for All v5), we, unfortunately, may have to start Megas for All from scratch just like V3. I’ve contacted G-Luke about this already, and if he approves, we unfortunately have to begin from scratch.

Edit: Me and Petuuuhhh have talked about this privately, and we have decided to place the new ability Unseen Fist in Rank 5, due to how good it is. Unseen Fist is like unlimited Z-moves, in which you ignore the target’s protection.
Ignoring protect in a singles meta is not nearly good enough to warrant tier 5, there are about 2 (if you’re generous) regular users of protection in OU. It’s a 3 ability at best.

EDIT: Probably 2 tbh

Last edited:
The Google Drive links say that the files are in the owner's trash. Someone should probably make new versions before the old ones get deleted.
I've got a copy from when I was briefly the head of the mod. But we're starting over, right? Why do we need them?

Note Heavyweapons Mann I don’t think I need the files since we may have a revamp. I already pmed G-Luke about this
Okay yeah I would rather start from scratch so I support your decision.
Ignoring protect in a singles meta is not nearly good enough to warrant tier 5, there are about 2 (if you’re generous) regular users of protection in OU. It’s a 3 ability at best.

EDIT: Probably 2 tbh
lol that's what I get after playing Gen 3 sandstorm protect + leftovers memes and generalizing

This is the reasoning behind the rules - it's not necessary to read all of this if you just want to know what they are. The rules themselves are after this box!
The maximum that you can decrease the BST by is -80 total, though allowing more/disallowing less will be on a case-by-case basis based on flavor and brokeness.
Could I suggest a revision to this? There's a different sort of rule that's followed with canon Mega Evolutions that lower base stats, with a few exceptions that are covered later, and I think it would be worth taking advantage of that consistency. It looks like you're trying to accommodate for the most extreme official case and basically ending up with no rule at all, haha - this might help to establish the restrictions a bit!

- Any Mega Evolution that lowers a stat always puts at least that many points into its less used offensive stat. For example, Mega Camerupt loses 20 points in Speed, but it also gains 20 points in Attack; Mega Abomasnow loses 30 points in Speed, but it gains 40 in each of its offenses, some of which will almost certainly go to waste no matter how you choose to invest; and Mega Mewtwo Y loses 20 points in Defense, but it gains 40 useless points in Attack. The point I'm trying to make here is that losing points is not used as a way to cheat the +100 limit but actually as a way to weaken a Pokémon - those extra points are fairly consistently thrown away rather than amplifying the Pokémon's best stats even more.
- Something like Mega Sableye might appear to be an exception, but it typically uses neither of its offenses - its -30 Speed is "compensated" with boosts to both Attack and Special Attack that still add up to 30, and its more relevant Defense and Special Defense stats still don't exceed +100 and would be just as possible with no change to its other stats at all.​
- One of the only real exceptions to this is Mega Diancie (which loses a significant number of points from two important, relevant stats in its defenses - its Mega Evolution is a total role shift, not just trying to get better at the same thing by cheating the +100 limit) - and while none of its other stats really count as throwaways because it uses all of them, the fact that these boosts are split equally between its offenses rather than committing to one is still a relevant way to keep it in check. (Imagine a Mega Evolution that had -80 like Diancie and actually tried to optimize for one role! It would be ridiculous.)
- The only other cases that break this "rule" are Mega Heracross - which loses a mere 10 points (not 80, haha) from the very relevant and important Speed stat and actually does put those 10 points towards other relevant stats - and Mega Beedrill, which... is Mega Beedrill. I'll cover why Beedrill is an exception next, in fact!​

- The other "rule" about Mega Evolutions is that they only ever lose points in Defense, Special Defense and Speed - as I've said, these are relevant stats that affect a Pokémon's performance no matter what kind of set it chooses to run. If a physical attacker loses Special Attack, this is inconsequential for any set that doesn't use special moves; heck, if a special attacker loses Attack, that's even an actively good thing on some level. But this doesn't happen - they only ever lose Speed and bulk, each of which actually impacts the Pokémon in specific matchups no matter what kind of set it's running. A Pokémon is always actually affected in some way by being slower or by losing bulk - it can't just change the moves it runs and see no difference at all.
- As mentioned, I now need to talk about Beedrill, which is the only Pokémon to be an exception to both of these "rules." Here's the thing about Beedrill - it has a base stat total of 395, one of the lowest of all Mega Evolving Pokémon. Even if it didn't lower its Special Attack at all and just had a +130 BST boost instead of +100, it would still only have 525 - barely even above average for a fully evolved Pokémon, let alone a Mega Evolution. It's clear that Mega Beedrill is an exceptional case and not a precedent that just any Pokémon can follow... and even that was +30, not +80!​
(And even then, it's still Mega Beedrill. It's a pivot with a Stealth Rock weakness, it's an Adaptability user with terrible STAB, and it has base 145 Speed but it's one-hit KOed by nearly every unresisted priority move. Even with the +60 boost to its Attack in conjunction with Adaptability, its damage output is still relatively average for an offensively oriented Mega Evolution. Basically, try to keep in mind how bad Mega Beedrill would have been if it didn't "cheat" like that - I would really advise against doing the same thing unless you're confident that it's a similarly extreme case, and next to no other Pokémon will be.)​
A useful resource for looking into the trends in stat changes of Mega Evolutions is the Mix and Mega thread, which helpfully compiles the stat changes of every Mega Stone so you can see them all side by side!

With that in mind, I suggest changing this rule a bit. Instead of broadly allowing just any stats to be decreased by 80 points for the sake of minmaxing...
- stats should not be minmaxed to circumvent the +100 limit at all - even if some stats are lowered, no more than 110 points should ever go into relevant stats, and any excess should be put into the less used offensive stat​
- if a stat is lowered, it must be one that is relevant to the Pokémon's performance no matter what set it runs (specifically Defense, Special Defense and Speed), not an offensive stat that can be circumvented​
- there can be exceptions to these rules on a case-by-case basis as decided by the council for each slate, but only if this is explicitly stated in the slate​
(An example of a time when you might choose to make such an exception is if the Pokémon's base stat total is less than, say, 425 - for example, Mega Beedrill's BST of 395 is 30 less than 425, so it compensates by lowering Special Attack enough to "spend" 30 extra points elsewhere. This is something I would suggest indicating for the few slates when it comes up rather than leaving it up to the users to check for themselves!)
In any case, I think it would probably save some headaches to establish a ground rule like "no more than +110 to relevant stats/no cheating with the irrelevant offense" and then highlight the very specific exceptions rather than going all the way to saying "you can technically do -80 sometimes" up front just to support the most exceptional canon Mega, y'know?

THE STAT RULES

- stats should not be minmaxed to circumvent the +100 limit at all - even if some stats are lowered, no more than 110 points should ever go into relevant stats, and any excess should be put into the less used offensive stat​
- if a stat is lowered, it must be one that is relevant to the Pokémon's performance no matter what set it runs (specifically Defense, Special Defense and Speed), not an offensive stat, as those can be circumvented​
- you may switch your Mega Evolution's Attack with its Special Attack if you are changing the Pokémon from a physical attacker to a special attacker, but you must still follow the other rules if you do (its new Special Attack cannot be lower than its original Attack, and its new Attack cannot be lower than its Special Attack)
- there can be exceptions to these rules on a case-by-case basis as decided by the council for each slate, but only if this is explicitly stated in the slate​

A word of advice

With Mega Evolutions in particular, Attack and Special Attack base stats can be deceptive! The base power of moves, the frequency of Abilities that change attack power and the inability to hold an item all make stats look very different than they behave in practice.
For example, Mega Ampharos's Special Attack of 165 might look extreme, but it's actually just the same as a base 115.5 Pokémon that's holding a Life Orb.
Meanwhile, Mega Mewtwo Y has an incredibly high base 194 Special Attack, the highest of all Pokémon, but it relies on the move Psystrike, which has 100 base power. Would you believe that Mega Lopunny - with its base 136 Attack - hits approximately 99% as hard with its High Jump Kick just because of the move's higher power?
Always rely on damage calculations and comparisons rather than just eyeballing stats when estimating how strong your Mega Evolution is offensively! Many people get caught up in the over-the-top-looking base stats of Mega Evolutions without realizing how they manifest in practice and tend to create unrealistically extreme stats (or, conversely, avoid scary-looking numbers without realizing they're par for the course) - their stats may look like they're all over the place, but there are plenty of trends in Mega Evolutions' stats that go unnoticed if you look at the raw base stats alone, and you'd probably get more mileage by comparing damage against common targets than by copying numbers exactly.

Edit: some formatting improvements for readability and fixing some typos
Edit 2 like four and a half months later: since the first post just links this entire pitch instead of just a summary, I thought I would lighten the required reading a bit, haha. This was originally a suggestion post directed at Imperial, not a rules post directed at submitters!

Last edited:
Could I suggest a revision to this? There's a different sort of rule that's followed with canon Mega Evolutions that lower base stats, with a few exceptions that are covered later, and I think it would be worth taking advantage of that consistency. It looks like you're trying to accommodate for the most extreme official case and basically ending up with no rule at all, haha - this might help to establish the restrictions a bit!

- Any Mega Evolution that lowers a stat always puts at least that many points into its less used offensive stat. For example, Mega Camerupt loses 20 points in Speed, but it also gains 20 points in Attack; Mega Abomasnow loses 30 points in Speed, but it gains 40 in each of its offenses, some of which will almost certainly go to waste no matter how you choose to invest; and Mega Mewtwo Y loses 20 points in Defense, but it gains 40 useless points in Attack.
- Something like Mega Sableye might appear to be an exception, but it typically uses neither of its offenses - its -30 Speed is "compensated" with boosts to both Attack and Special Attack that still add up to 30, and its more relevant Defense and Special Defense stats still don't exceed +100 and would be just as possible with no change to its other stats at all.
The point I'm trying to make here is that losing points is not used as a way to cheat the +100 limit but actually as a way to weaken a Pokémon - those extra points are fairly consistently thrown away rather than amplifying the Pokémon's best stats even more.

- One of the only real exceptions to this is Mega Diancie (which loses a significant number of points from two important, relevant stats in its defenses - its Mega Evolution is a total role shift, not just trying to get better at the same thing by cheating the +100 limit - and while none of its other stats really count as throwaways because it uses all of them, the fact that these boosts are split equally between its offenses rather than committing to one is still a relevant way to keep it in check. (Imagine a Mega Evolution that has -80 like Diancie and actually tries to optimize for one role! It would be ridiculous.)
- The only other cases that break this "rule" are Mega Heracross - which loses a mere 10 points (not 80, haha) from the very relevant and important Speed stat and actually does put those 10 points towards other relevant stats - and Mega Beedrill, which... is Mega Beedrill. I'll cover why Beedrill is an exception next, in fact!

- The other "rule" about Mega Evolutions is that they only ever lose points in Defense, Special Defense and Speed - as I've said, these are relevant stats that affect a Pokémon's performance no matter what kind of set it chooses to run. If a physical attacker loses Special Attack, this is inconsequential for any set that doesn't use special moves; heck, if a special Attacker loses Attack, that's even an actively good thing on some level. But this doesn't happen - they only ever lose Speed and bulk, each of which actually impacts the Pokémon in specific matchups no matter what kind of set it's running. A Pokémon is always actually affected in some way by being slower or by losing bulk - it can't just change the moves it runs and see no difference at all.
- As mentioned, I now need to talk about Beedrill, which is the only Pokémon to be an exception to both of these "rules." Here's the thing about Beedrill - it has a base stat total of 395, one of the lowest of all Mega Evolving Pokémon. Even if it didn't lower its Special Attack at all and just had a +130 BST boost instead of +100, it would still only have 525 - barely even above average for a fully evolved Pokémon, let alone a Mega Evolution. It's clear that Mega Beedrill is an exceptional case and not a precedent that just any Pokémon can follow! ... and even that was an extra 30 points, not 80!
And even then... it's still Mega Beedrill. It's a pivot with a Stealth Rock weakness, it's an Adaptability user with terrible STAB, and it has base 145 Speed but it's one-hit KOed by nearly every unresisted priority move. Even with the +60 boost to its Attack in conjunction with Adaptability, its damage output is still relatively average for an offensively oriented Mega Evolution. Basically, try to keep in mind how bad Mega Beedrill would have been if it didn't "cheat" like that - I would really advise against doing the same thing unless you're confident that it's a similarly extreme case, and next to no other Pokémon will be.

With that in mind, I suggest changing this rule. Instead of broadly allowing just any stats to be decreased by 80 points for the sake of minmaxing:
- stats should not be minmaxed to circumvent the +100 limit at all - even if some stats are lowered, no more than 110 points should ever go into relevant stats, and any excess should be put into the less used offensive stat
- if a stat is lowered, it must be one that is relevant to the Pokémon's performance no matter what set it runs (specifically Defense, Special Defense and Speed), not an offensive stat that can be circumvented
- there can be exceptions to these rules on a case-by-case basis as decided by the council for each slate, but only if this is explicitly stated in the slate
(And then an example of a time when you might choose to make such an exception is if the Pokémon's base stat total is less than, say, 425 - for example, Mega Beedrill's BST of 395 is 30 less than 425, so it compensates by lowering Special Attack enough to "spend" 30 extra points elsewhere. This is something I would suggest indicating for the few slates when it comes up rather than leaving it up to the users to check for themselves!)
In any case, I think it would probably save some headaches to establish a ground rule like "no more than +110 to relevant stats/no cheating with the irrelevant offense" and then highlight the very specific exceptions rather than going all the way to saying "you can technically do -80 sometimes" up front just to support the most exceptional canon Mega, y'know?

A useful resource for looking into the trends in stat changes of Mega Evolutions is the Mix and Mega thread, which helpfully compiles the stat changes of every Mega Stone so you can see them all side by side!

Final unrelated note: with Mega Evolutions in particular, Attack and Special Attack base stats can be deceptive! The base power of moves, the frequency of Abilities that change attack power and the inability to hold an item all make stats look very different than they behave in practice.
For example, Mega Ampharos's Special Attack of 165 might look extreme, but it's actually just the same as a base 115.5 Pokémon that's holding a Life Orb.
Meanwhile, Mega Mewtwo Y has an incredibly high base 194 Special Attack, the highest of all Pokémon, but it relies on the move Psystrike, which has 100 base power. Would you believe that Mega Lopunny - with its base 136 Attack - hits approximately 99% as hard with its High Jump Kick just because of the move's higher power?
Always rely on damage calculations and comparisons rather than just eyeballing stats when estimating how strong your Mega Evolution is offensively! Many people get caught up in the over-the-top-looking base stats of Mega Evolutions without realizing how they manifest in practice and tend to create unrealistically extreme stats (or, conversely, avoid scary-looking numbers without realizing they're par for the course) - their stats may look like they're all over the place, but there are plenty of trends in Mega Evolutions' stats that go unnoticed if you look at the raw base stats alone, and you'd probably get more mileage by comparing damage against common targets than by copying numbers exactly.
Well ask Heavyweapons Mann, since I just copy pasted from v5.

After a council vote, Megas for All will start from scratch. There are two reasons. First, there were some problems with coding, since the person who was coding mysteriously disappeared (look at the last thread), and second, we may have new mechanics for Mega Evolution stats as stated by Hematite Speaking of Hematite he is now a council member because of his contribution to the new stat mechanics!

E: He is now Stats Leader, which means he has the right to disapprove any wrong stat modifications (since I don’t understand the stat mechanics other than add 100 to the BST). With all of this aside, we can now start our first slate!

Last edited:
Slate 1

:sm/Dragonite: :Sm/Hydreigon:

This is the first of 2 slates involving pseudo-legendaries that didn’t get their own Megas! Here are the ability limits:

Dragonite - 4
Hydreigon - 3.5

This is the beginning of a new Megas for All! Let’s kickstart this new mod with a bang! *BANG* you may now submit!

Mega Dragonite
New Ability: Inner Focus (Multiscale) ----> Water Veil
New Typing: Dragon/Water

New Stats:

HP: 91 ----> 91
Attack: 134 ----> 154 (+20)
Defense: 95 ----> 135 (+40)
Special Attack: 100 ----> 120 (+20)
Special Defense: 100 ----> 120 (+20)
Speed: 80 ----> 80
Base Stat Total: 600 ----> 700
New Moves: none
Description: Much higher defense (makes it less susceptible to priority), immunity to burns, and lack of double weaknesses make Mega Dragonite a terrifying set up sweeper. Multiscale pre-mega evolution guarantees Dragonite to set up a Dragon Dance. Its defensive capabilities also merit it to run a bulky phazer set with Dragon Tail. A lot of Pokedex entries connect Dragonite to the sea and it has a huge number of Water-type moves in its movepool so a Dragon/Water typing makes good sense flavor-wise.

Mega Hydreigon
New Ability: Levitate ----> Skill Link
New Typing: Dark/Dragon

New Stats:

HP: 92 ----> 92
Attack: 105 ----> 145 (+40)
Defense: 90 ----> 120 (+30)
Special Attack: 125 ----> 135 (+10)
Special Defense: 90 ----> 90
Speed: 98 ----> 108 (+10)
New Moves: none
Description: Hydreigon has 3 heads so I want its role to focus on multi-hit moves. It shows off the brand new Scale Shot move, catching opponents that expect a special attacker off-guard. It also has Dragon Dance for setup and a lot of coverage moves such as Zen Headbutt, Dual Wingbeat, and Superpower.

Last edited:
BIG ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER 2:

We are currently in need of a coding team, since I don’t want another revamp of Megas for All. If you want to apply, quote this post saying “I apply” or anything else related. If I approve, send me your coding history, and once your history is approved, you will be added to the coding team.

BIG ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER 2:

We are currently in need of a coding team, since I don’t want another revamp of Megas for All. If you want to apply, quote this post saying “I apply” or anything else related. If I approve, send me your coding history, and once your history is approved, you will be added to the coding team.
We've got plenty of coders in the Pet Mods Discord. I'm sure it won't be a problem.

Glad to see this back! Let me know if I'm breaking any new rules, specifically the stats.
:ss/dragonite:
Mega Dragonite
New Ability:
Inner Focus / Multiscale ----> Serene Grace
New Typing:
/

New Stats:
HP:
Attack: 134 ----> 150 (+16)
Defense: 95 ----> 130 (+35)
Special Attack: 100 ----> 130 (+30)
Special Defense: 100 ----> 130 (+30)
Speed: 80 ----> 69 (-11)
New Moves: Play Rough, Moonblast
Description: A great defensive typing plus great bulk, access to reliable recovery, Multiscale before Mega Evolving, and cleric support make Mega Dragonite a great wall. It can easily check/counter foes like Dragapult, Kommo-o, Hydreigon and Urshifu. Its offensive stats also ensure it is not passive at all for a defensive Pokemon. Serene Grace, while it is somewhat niche in this situation, can be useful with Moonblast to cripple special attackers easier. Despite its bulk, however, it can be overpowered by foes such as Magearna, Azumarill, Excadrill, and Clefable. Its speed is also very low, leaving it heavily weak to revenge killing.

:ss/hydreigon:
Mega Hydreigon
New Ability: Levitate ----> Berserk
New Typing:
/

New Stats:
HP:
Attack: 105 ----> 125 (+20)
Defense: 90 ----> 110 (+20)
Special Attack: 125 ----> 165 (+40)
Special Defense: 90
Speed: 98 ----> 118 (+20)
New Moves: None
Description: A powerful special wallbreaker that can easily overpower even special walls with a Roost + 3 Attacks set or Roost + NP. Its wide coverage allows it to handle almost any foe coming its way, from Flash Cannon for Fairies and Fire Blast and Earth Power for Steels. However, it has a wide range of weaknesses and is completely walled by Chansey. Regular LO Hydreigon also hits harder and has a useful immunity to Ground.

Time to bring this back on the road!
:ss/hydreigon:
Mega Hydreigon
New Ability: Levitate ----> Mold Breaker
New Typing: Dark / Dragon (no shit)

New Stats:

Attack: 105 ----> 143 (+38)
Defense: 90 ----> 100 (+10)
Special Attack: 125 ----> 143 (+18)
Special Defense: 90 ----> 122 (+32)
Speed: 98 ----> 98
New Moves: Recover
Description: When we said mixed attacker (*cough* *cough* Mega Garchomp *cough* *cough*), we DID, in fact, mean mixed attacker. Although Hydreigon still has the issue of being pAinFulLy sLoW for the metagame, it at least has the bulk to stomach at least one hit and retaliate with a punch to the balls! 143 to both attacking stats is no slouch and although that speed tier still didn't change (you're still outsped by Garchomp, for instance), you still have 92/100/122 bulk on your side so you can take hits better.

sad to see the previous submissions getting scrapped, but it is what it is

Mega Dragonite

Ability - Inner Focus; Multiscale ➝ Tough Claws
HP
- 91 ➝ 91
Atk
- 134 ➝ 164 (+30)
Def - 95 ➝ 110 (+15)
SpA - 100 ➝ 122 (+22)
SpD - 100 ➝ 122 (+22)
SpD - 80 ➝ 91 (+11)
BST - 600 ➝ 700 (+100)

Megastone - Draconite
Movepoll Changes - Play Rough
Competitive Corner - Nothing too fancy here, a simple power boost alongside Tough Claws should amp up Mega Dragonite's power a tad, making it not have to rely on Outrage for kills, and making Extreme Speed even more deadly. Should be strong enough to do its thing, but not too strong.

Mega Hydreigon

Ability - Levitate ➝ Mega Launcher
HP
- 92 ➝ 92
Atk
- 105 ➝ 145 (+40)
Def - 90 ➝ 110 (+20)
SpA - 125 ➝ 155 (+30)
SpD - 90 ➝ 110 (+20)
Spe - 98 ➝ 88 (-10)
Spe - 98 ➝ 88 (-10)
BST - 600 ➝ 700 (+100)

Megastone - Hydreigonite
Movepoll Changes - Aura Sphere, Terrain Pulse
Competitive Corner - With Mega Launcher, Hydreigon's Dark Pulses hit insanely hard. It's still marginally weaker than a Life Orb Hydreigon on most attacks, as well as a tad slower, but the powered up Dark Pulse should go a long way. All in all, Hydreigon is a deadly wallbreaker.

Last edited:
Pfff, disclaimer: I didn't actually apply to be on council, haha. I cannot guarantee results or constant activity, but if I'm needed, I will do my best!!

So far, it looks like everyone has done a great job staying within the constraints, keeping to an appropriate power level and having counterplay in mind as far as I can tell!!

I do have one small concern, but this one has nothing to do with stats - it's not a full veto or anything, just drawing attention to something I was wondering!
lyd, your Hydreigon's Ability is a "clone"/variant of Parental Bond, but it looks like Parental Bond is a rank 5 Ability and Hydreigon is only allowed to go up to 3.5.
In some ways, it might be arguable that your variation is weaker (the damage modifier is only 20% rather than 25% like Parental Bond), but the difference is so small, and it's more than compensated by giving an even bigger buff to secondary effects than Kangaskhan's version (including effectively making it a cointoss whether something flinches from Dark Pulse)... Does anyone on the council have an opinion on whether this Ability is acceptable or how it might be altered to make it so?

That aside, here are some subs of my own!

:dragonite: Mega Dragonite
New Ability
: Multiscale -> Natural Cure
Type: Dragon/Flying

New Stats:
HP: 91
Attack: 134 -> 145 (+11)
Defense: 95 -> 145 (+50)
Special Attack: 100 -> 134 (+34)
Special Defense: 100 -> 125 (+25)
Speed: 80 -> 60 (-20)
(700 BST)

New moves: Calm Mind
Description:
What does it do?
- My favorite thing about most pseudo-Legendary Pokémon is how versatile they are instead of being highly specialized and making the most of their 600 BST for one specific role. This Mega Dragonite is built to epitomize that, with its stat changes and Ability being used to open up new options for it rather than just make it a strictly better version of its base form.
- Dragonite's significantly increased bulk is useful for easing setup with Dragon Dance and Calm Mind, but it actually isn't as good a sweeper as its base form. Its base form's Multiscale serves the same purpose as its added bulk in easing setup; in addition, Mega Dragonite's physical offensive power is surpassed by its base form if it's holding any damage-boosting item, and its much lower Speed makes it more difficult to snowball and more dependent on using Dragon Dance multiple times to sweep at all.
- What its bulk does allow is for Dragonite to play the part of a wall, using moves like Roost, Toxic and Thunder Wave to outlast and wear down its opponents, while it still has powerful boosting options and is able to create offensive pressure rather than being passive or being possible to use as setup bait for an opponent that won't be worn down. Essentially, it's a wall that can actively punish opponents that can't break it in time by becoming a win condition in its own right.
- As an option for a different role, Dragonite's +30 Special Attack allows it to make use of moves like Hurricane more effectively, since it has no other Flying STAB.
- Natural Cure is a deceptively powerful Ability that allows Dragonite to cure its own status at the cost of any boosts it has accumulated. This allows offensive sets to escape being crippled by burns and paralysis at the cost of any boosts they've already accumulated, but it also makes defensive sets tougher to wear down with status.
What's keeping it in check?
- Despite its high raw stats, Dragonite has too many weaknesses to be a completely reliable wall. Strong Ice-type moves from the likes of Mamoswine, Kyurem, Weavile and Mega Mawile can reliably one-hit KO even variants with the most bulk investment, and many super effective moves can still outdamage its recovery.
- Even with its choice of Calm Mind, Dragon Dance or potentially Curse, it can't cover all of its vulnerabilities at once - it still needs to fit Roost and ideally wants some form of utility on its set, so trying to squeeze in more than one boosting move is outright impossible. Dragonite has options, but no set can exploit all of them.
- In addition, Mega Dragonite's low Speed enables offensive counterplay even after it's used Dragon Dance multiple times - let alone Calm Mind, which doesn't cover for its Speed at all - and using Natural Cure to restore its status comes at the cost of its boosts, hindering its ability to snowball if an opponent deals with it correctly.

I'm not ready with a Hydreigon sub yet, but hopefully this Dragonite is an interesting one, and I think carves a niche for itself over regular Dragonite without being broken!

(Fun fact about the various physically oriented Hydreigon submissions: one of the first pieces of official promotional artwork for the Fairy type showed a Sylveon fighting Hydreigon, and that has led some to see those two as rivals on some level. I think it's kinda awesome that one of Hydreigon's best physical options for Dark STAB - Throat Chop, which is almost identical to Crunch but with a different side effect - is one that can actually let it win against Sylveon specifically by keeping it from using the Fairy move it's most likely to run!
It's just a small thing, but I was looking at Hydreigon's movepool, and noticing that seemed kinda neat, haha.)

Mega Dragonite
Ability: Multiscale
Typing: Dragon/Flying => Dragon/Fairy

HP: 91 => 91
Attack: 134 => 159 (+25)
Defense: 95 => 105 (+ 10)
Special Attack: 100 => 125 (+25)
Special Defense: 100=> 120 (+120)
Speed: 80 => 100 (+20)
New Moves: Play Rough, Moonblast

Great bulky setup sweeper with DD, a fantastic STAB combo, and solid coverage moves. Dnite can also run some mixed sets with a good Special Attack, and can run some more defensive sets with an excellent typing, defenses and Multiscale.

Mega Hydreigon
Ability: Levitate
Typing: Dark/Dragon

HP: 92
Attack: 105 => 145 (+40)
Defense: 90 => 100 (+10)
Special Attack: 125 => 160 (+35)
Special Defense: 90 => 100 (+10)
Speed: 98 => 103 (+5)
New Moves: N/A

With great offenses and a speed their eclipsing the plethora of base 100 mons, Hydra can run a Special set with NP, a physical set with DD, or can run mixed sets. However, Hydra still struggles against Bulky Fairies like Fini and faster pokemon with SE attacks (duh). Additionally, Physical sets will often find themselves walled by Fairies, as Hydra only has Iron Tail as Physical Coverage for them.

Last edited:
Mega Hydreigon

New Ability: Levitate Mega Launcher

New Stats:

Attack: 105 ----> 150
Defense: 90 ----> 95
Special Attack: 125 ----> 170
Special Defense: 90 ----> 95
New Moves: Aura Sphere, Water Pulse, Terrain Pulse

Description: With a new ability in Mega Launcher and a massive special attack boost Mega Hydreigon becomes a top tier wallbreaker with a Nasty Plot + 3 attacks set, though remaining slow and prone to being revenge killed to make sure that Hydreigon itself doesn't lose its niche as a scarfer. A Mega Launcher boosted Dark Pulse with 170 special attack is nothing to scoff at, breaking through most walls in the OU tier after a Nasty Plot boost (+2 252 SpA Mega Launcher Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 352-415 (115.7 - 136.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO), except specially defensive Fairy types that can tank a Flash Cannon and strike back with Moonblast (Clefable) or Hyper Voice (Sylveon), effectively easily killing Hydreigon. A new addition in Mega Hydreigon's movepool, Aura Sphere, gets the Mega Launcher boost and safely OHKOs Tyranitar and other dark types such as Bisharp on the switch. Dragon Pulse is the better choice compared to Draco Meteor thanks to Mega Launcher's boost, threatening most of the tier with a 2HKO. Water Pulse could be a niche option to OHKO pokemon such as Volcarona on the switch instead of Dragon Pulse (which also achieves this feat, although not being as spammable because of the abundancy of fairies), although there aren't many reasons to run it. Despite its high damage Mega Hydreigon still has many weaknesses, such as its low speed that makes it threatened by many offensive Pokemon, and most importantly its reliancy on a Nasty Plot boost to beat its checks, making it easy to predict a Nasty Plot and put a faster, frailer Pokemon to beat it, forcing Mega Hydreigon to switch.

Last edited:
Mega Hydreigon

New Ability: Levitate Mega Launcher

New Stats:

HP: 92 ----> 107
Attack: 105 ----> 135
Defense: 90 ----> 95
Special Attack: 125 ----> 170
Special Defense: 90 ----> 95
New Moves: Aura Sphere, Water Pulse, Terrain Pulse

Description: With a new ability in Mega Launcher and a massive special attack boost Mega Hydreigon becomes a top tier wallbreaker with a Nasty Plot + 3 attacks set, though remaining slow and prone to being revenge killed to make sure that Hydreigon itself doesn't lose its niche as a scarfer. A Mega Launcher boosted Dark Pulse with 170 special attack is nothing to scoff at, breaking through most walls in the OU tier after a Nasty Plot boost (+2 252 SpA Mega Launcher Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 352-415 (115.7 - 136.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO), except specially defensive Fairy types that can tank a Flash Cannon and strike back with Moonblast (Clefable) or Hyper Voice (Sylveon), effectively easily killing Hydreigon. A new addition in Mega Hydreigon's movepool, Aura Sphere, gets the Mega Launcher boost and safely OHKOs Tyranitar and other dark types such as Bisharp on the switch. Dragon Pulse is the better choice compared to Draco Meteor thanks to Mega Launcher's boost, threatening most of the tier with a 2HKO. Water Pulse could be a niche option to OHKO pokemon such as Volcarona on the switch instead of Dragon Pulse (which also achieves this feat, although not being as spammable because of the abundancy of fairies), although there aren't many reasons to run it. Despite its high damage Mega Hydreigon still has many weaknesses, such as its low speed that makes it threatened by many offensive Pokemon, and most importantly its reliancy on a Nasty Plot boost to beat its checks, making it easy to predict a Nasty Plot and put a faster, frailer Pokemon to beat it, forcing Mega Hydreigon to switch.
Hi! I'm afraid the HP stat can't change for a Mega Evolution, so this wouldn't be a legal submission.

Aside from that, lyd actually submitted a Mega Launcher version of Hydreigon anyway about an hour before you, and theirs seems to be more moderate in its power level. Mega Launcher is a very strong Ability for Hydreigon - it means freely using a 127.5 BP Dragon STAB (basically Draco Meteor but with perfect accuracy and no drawbacks) and a 120 BP Dark STAB, and coming off of 170 Special Attack as you have it, I think that might be too much.
The Mega Duraludon in fellow pet mod Megamax was actually just nerfed for similar reasons. I don't think they're entirely comparable, to be fair - Duraludon has STAB on its Flash Cannon (note that Hydreigon still has Flash Cannon and would absolutely run it) and had somewhat better Speed at the time (105 rather than 98), which is worth keeping in mind as something it had over Hydreigon. That said, Duraludon had no way to boost its Special Attack, had lower Special Attack than this and had only one STAB that benefited from Mega Launcher, and it's much frailer on the special side; even so, it was hard enough to deal with that Mega Duraludon as it was.
In any case, I don't know if this is broken - again, there were some relevant qualities Duraludon had over Hydreigon here - but I think it would be better for us to go with lyd's submission than this regardless, or at least I personally would be more comfortable letting that one through.

I think the main part that stands out to me is this:
most importantly its reliancy on a Nasty Plot boost to beat its checks
A balanced Pokémon really shouldn't be able to beat its checks even by using Nasty Plot, and being overly reliant on boosting to beat things that it isn't meant to beat doesn't feel like a drawback to me. It sounds like the counterplay you're proposing is to bring in a soft check, then switch out to something frail that can actually beat it, hoping it doesn't attack because its player is compelled to boost? That sounds a little bit too risky to me. And then what happens if it does boost safely?
In any case, this would already be one of the hardest-hitting Mega Evolutions unboosted, and the other Mega Evolutions that are on this level all have notable drawbacks on their best moves, like major hazard weaknesses, recoil, accuracy or Special Attack drops - the last of which is exactly what Hydreigon escapes by having Mega Launcher-boosted Dragon Pulses to substitute for Draco Meteor. The fact that it even comes with Nasty Plot to double that power and break through its would-be checks looks to me like a bonus, not a drawback.

I really like this mod concept and I'd look over the submissions but I don't even know what the stat restrictions are. Tagging Hematite (again) so she can clarify.
Mega Dragonite
New Ability: Technicican
New Typing: Flying/Dragon

New Stats: 91 / 144 / 125 / 140 / 130 / 70

HP: 91
Attack: 134 ----> 144
Defense: 95 ----> 125
Special Attack: 100 ----> 140
Special Defense: 100 ----> 130
Speed: 80 ----> 70
Base Stat Total: 700
New Moves: Dual Wingbeat
Description: Dragonite has always needed a good Flying STAB. With Technician + Dual Wingbeat, it finally gets one, becoming what Scyther wishes it could be. It now gets a 60 BP priority move in Aqua Jet, and it can utilize 90 BP Dragon Tails for phasing. If it wants to go Special, it can utilize 90 BP Air Cutters. With the added bulk, it can continue to tank hits after activating Multiscale, allowing it to set up even more easily. However, with 70 Speed, it gets outsped by every non Trick-Room abusing offensive Pokemon, so it either has to sponge hits or set up.
Mega Hydreigon
New Ability: Night Vision (Compound Eyes clone)

New Stats: 92 / 135 / 110 / 155 / 120 / 88

HP: 92
Attack: 105 ----> 135
Defense: 90 ----> 110
Special Attack: 125 ----> 155
Special Defense: 90 ----> 120
Speed: 98 ----> 88
Base Stat Total: 700
New Moves: None
Description: With Night Vision, Hydreigon can finally take advantage of Dragon Rush and Iron Tail to have devastating coverage, and with 135 Attack, it wreaks havoc after one Dragon Dance. It still has to watch out for Fairies, and 10 less Speed makes is have a less than stellar Speed tier.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)