Singles 3v3 Singles (BSS) Discussion

I was thinking about if coming back on this meta. I quitted cuz i was bored from the fact that is not played much.
Lol for a while i thought that everyone quitted battle spot single. Then i found out it just has a different name now.and looks like more people are in, arent they?

So, whats new with this gen? Beside dynamax

Any specific reason that I don't see a lot of clefable? It's pretty slow but it seems to be a good wallbreaker against toxapex, corviknight, and togekiss. Am I insane?

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
Any specific reason that I don't see a lot of clefable? It's pretty slow but it seems to be a good wallbreaker against toxapex, corviknight, and togekiss. Am I insane?
Mostly excadrill, as said, but its a pretty good balance breaker. It was rated B- in the last VR and does a good job with its LO offense set. Rotom H also resists all of its common moves.

Any recomendation that u can do for my team(or to do a bettler solid one)? I have a darma-g excadrill, mimikty, tyranitar, dracozolt, cinderrace, and excadrill also if you can tell me some items or moves it should be good :)

RicksBaslesica

Banned deucer.
This game bothers me sometimes. There's just too much hax in this damn game. It's very hard to teambuild; I always think I have a good idea and then the meta has already thought up of over 9000 ways to counter it.

I've been trying to build a Hail team on showdown, but to me Hail is a very difficult archetype to play effectively due to the many weaknesses of the Ice typing. I'm on Icy Rock Glaceon right now, trying to recreate the evolution of the Japanese high elo metagame from last season. Even though Shamditioner was banned from Smogon for breaking the nebulous, ill-defined "rules" of this website (which ironically are very unkind toward non-American foreigners like Asians), I think her replays are very interesting to watch in this scenario.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8battlestadiumsingles-1063838783

Last edited:
Outside of the context of Hail, Ive seen a few rare Weakness Policy Glaceons. It can be a pretty cool pokemon. As for hail itself, I'm not sure its a particularly good read in the meta. Probably pretty fun though. I'd definitely recommend Eiscue as a pretty cool Hail mon which can continually recycle its disguise under hail. I hope your ladder efforts continue to go well.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd definitely recommend Eiscue as a pretty cool Hail mon which can continually recycle its disguise under hail.
Ice Face only regenerates the turn hail is set, not at the end of every turn that hail is active. This is why most Eiscue run Liquidation or Head Smash, they set rain/sand and can then Max Hailstorm to reset hail, but that goes against the idea of a “hail team.” In fact, I’d say playing Eiscue within a hail team is a hindrance because Eiscue has to change the weather before resetting Ice Face, whereas without any prior weather it can Max Hailstorm as soon as Ice Face is broken...

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Anybody else get a chance to play with the new Gmax mons yet? My current favorite and a big one I see a lot of people playing is G-Max Lapras... I haven't come up with any fancy spread so I've been using a spread that was previously in the offensive set on its analysis (Speed EVs I think are for outspeeding most slow Corviknights, not sure how pertinent that is now):

Lapras-Gmax @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Water Absorb
Level: 50
EVs: 180 HP / 252 SpA / 76 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sparkling Aria
- Freeze-Dry
- Thunderbolt / Sheer Cold
- Ice Shard

This thing is quickly becoming one of my fave mons to use in the format with G-Max Resonance setting Aurora Veil for 5 turns, giving Lapras some turns to deal some damage after G-Max has worn off, or allowing a sweeper teammate to set up. Been pairing it with stuff like Haxorus and Bulk Up Grimmsnarl since I wanted to take advantage of Aurora Veil by using sweepers who couldn't Dynamax. It's super easy to activate WP with Aurora Veil up, I feel in a similar vein you could run a gimmicky set using Light Clay if you want to center a team around using that move to set up sweepers.

hello, guys =) I have a few questions about my team. what I need to add or remove? thanks^
team:
Corsola-Galar (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Haze
- Stealth Rock
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
Shiny: Yes
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Transform

Excadrill @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Blast
- Swords Dance

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
1. Where's your other 3? If you didn't know you can actually look at your opponent's team when you pick your 3, so even if you never intend to bring anything else it's still good to have 3 other mons just in case & to make your plan less obvious.

2. G-Corsola wants Strength Sap. You are getting owned by Substitute and Taunt anyways and I feel there's no reason to drop the very move that makes Corsola better than other do-nothing walls.

3. I do like the combination of defensive core + Ditto to revenge setup sweepers to break the core + a fast threat to threaten immediately threatening wallbreaker. https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...s-teams-aka-japanese-team-compendium.3658518/ The first team uses the concept very well.

Hope this helps.

hello, guys =) I have a few questions about my team. what I need to add or remove? thanks^
team:
Corsola-Galar (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Cursed Body
Bold Nature
- Haze
- Stealth Rock
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Transform

Excadrill @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Blast
- Swords Dance
What I would fear happening with your team is that your Corsola would haze away your optimal ditto switch-in. Having both seems redundant as an answer to the enemy Dynamax. I would look to replace either Corsola or Ditto with a sand-setter lead, possibly one with a move who could take down some of excadrill's counters.

Sandaconda @ Focus Sash
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Glare
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

This Sandaconda set is a great setup/lead for your excadrill, and would replace the corsola. This mon sets SR, sandstorm, and cripples at least one target with glare/focus sash. With an exca in the back, a sandaconda lead will glare, set stealth rocks, and sandstorm before dying/switching. This would however, lack a punch to deal with exca's counters, which maybe the ditto can take care of? But imo, ditto can't deal with Corviknight

1. Where's your other 3? If you didn't know you can actually look at your opponent's team when you pick your 3, so even if you never intend to bring anything else it's still good to have 3 other mons just in case & to make your plan less obvious.

2. G-Corsola wants Strength Sap. You are getting owned by Substitute and Taunt anyways and I feel there's no reason to drop the very move that makes Corsola better than other do-nothing walls.

3. I do like the combination of defensive core + Ditto to revenge setup sweepers to break the core + a fast threat to threaten immediately threatening wallbreaker. https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...s-teams-aka-japanese-team-compendium.3658518/ The first team uses the concept very well.

Hope this helps.
Thanks
But I choose haze because I scared about swords dance/calm mind/etc

What I would fear happening with your team is that your Corsola would haze away your optimal ditto switch-in. Having both seems redundant as an answer to the enemy Dynamax. I would look to replace either Corsola or Ditto with a sand-setter lead, possibly one with a move who could take down some of excadrill's counters.

Sandaconda @ Focus Sash
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Glare
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

This Sandaconda set is a great setup/lead for your excadrill, and would replace the corsola. This mon sets SR, sandstorm, and cripples at least one target with glare/focus sash. With an exca in the back, a sandaconda lead will glare, set stealth rocks, and sandstorm before dying/switching. This would however, lack a punch to deal with exca's counters, which maybe the ditto can take care of? But imo, ditto can't deal with Corviknight
Okay, I replaced them
I thinking about Dracozolt. Is he good here?

Thanks
But I choose haze because I scared about swords dance/calm mind/etc

Okay, I replaced them
I thinking about Dracozolt. Is he good here?
I personally haven't seen a lot of 'zolt in BSS. When I ran Excadrill + Sandaconda, usually my third was dragapult for speed control and to fire blast/flamethrower corviknight. Let us know how the games go with the updated lineup.

I'm currently tossing around ideas for a gravity team. Not ready to post here yet, but soon, v soon.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So I've been messing around with Blastoise a bit, got to Master Ball tier with it and played till I got in the top 7k. Still need a lot more testing with it against higher ranked players obviously, but something I really like about it compared to Cloyster is that it can actually survive Special Attacks, so I've been able to win several games by just Shell Smashing against something weak like Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball AFTER Stealth Rock damage (watch out for Dynamax in that particular match-up tho lol). It was also neat when I got into Torrent Range, because then Blastoise would just obilerate everything after a boost rofl.

My main issue with it though is that its a lot more reliant on Dynamaxing than Cloyster is since it has much lower BP moves (unless you wanna roll the dice with Hydro Pump lol). And as a Dynamaxer, while +2 LO Blastoise DOES do a crap ton of damage, don't be expecting to deal with blows very well on its own.

Here's the set I've been using. I do think its still gonna compete with Cloyster (who I still think will be better overall because it isnt nearly as pressured to Dynamax), but I think theres a good chance this is at least viable.

:Blastoise: Blastoise @ Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 52 HP / 252 SpA / 204 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse

This is what I've been using. I'm almost interested in trying physical since it OHKOs Toxapex with +2 Max Mindstorm, and OHKOs Dynamax Togekiss that don't invest in bulk with Max Hailstorm after Stealth Rock damage. (Ice Beam is actually not a gurantee with the special set after Dynamaxing because Togekiss has a lot more special bulk lol).

Also, cant say brought up maybe trying Hyper Beam over Dark Pulse since it gurantees a OHKO on max HP Rotoms without Stealth Rock, and the speed drop could be useful in those times you're forced to Dynamax without a boost (which, while a bummer, I was impressesd with how much Torrent Max Geyser was still doing lol).

Last edited:
I've been using a sun core of

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 180 HP / 76 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder
- Weather Ball
- Growth

Ninetales @ Eject Pack
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 SpD
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Solar Beam
- Hex
- Overheat

I've been winning fairly well using this team, but when I see Togekiss I use screens Grimmsnarl, Conkeldurr, and Trick/Thunderwave Rotom-H.
I'm not super impressed with Ninetales, honestly, and I don't know who to use for my last spot. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

So I've been messing around with Blastoise a bit, got to Master Ball tier with it and played till I got in the top 7k. Still need a lot more testing with it against higher ranked players obviously, but something I really like about it compared to Cloyster is that it can actually survive Special Attacks, so I've been able to win several games by just Shell Smashing against something weak like Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball AFTER Stealth Rock damage (watch out for Dynamax in that particular match-up tho lol). It was also neat when I got into Torrent Range, because then Blastoise would just obilerate everything after a boost rofl.

My main issue with it though is that its a lot more reliant on Dynamaxing than Cloyster is since it has much lower BP moves (unless you wanna roll the dice with Hydro Pump lol). And as a Dynamaxer, while +2 LO Blastoise DOES do a crap ton of damage, don't be expecting to deal with blows very well on its own.

Here's the set I've been using. I do think its still gonna compete with Cloyster (who I still think will be better overall because it isnt nearly as pressured to Dynamax), but I think theres a good chance this is at least viable.

:Blastoise: Blastoise @ Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 52 HP / 252 SpA / 204 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse

This is what I've been using. I'm almost interested in trying physical since it OHKOs Toxapex with +2 Max Mindstorm, and OHKOs Dynamax Togekiss that don't invest in bulk with Max Hailstorm after Stealth Rock damage. (Ice Beam is actually not a gurantee with the special set after Dynamaxing because Togekiss has a lot more special bulk lol).

Also, cant say brought up maybe trying Hyper Beam over Dark Pulse since it gurantees a OHKO on max HP Rotoms without Stealth Rock, and the speed drop could be useful in those times you're forced to Dynamax without a boost (which, while a bummer, I was impressesd with how much Torrent Max Geyser was still doing lol).
I'm excited to run Blastoise. One of my favorite mons. I have one ready but haven't had the chance to play yet. I was thinking of using a similar set but maybe Aura Sphere over Dark Pulse? I'll probably tinker with both. Who have you been running with it? Sounds like some stealth rock support. I was thinking maybe about running a screens Grimmsnarl.

What has been giving you trouble? Any tips on getting set up with Shell Smash? I haven't messed around with any Shell Smash users before. It's been years since I've played around with competitive and it's been fun busting out some old faves and Blastoise is next.

Is there any pokemon that always beats lapras including when dynamaxed? I've just lost like three games because of sheer cold hitting my mon's that can two hit ko but are usually slower.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So I've been styled on this by this set in more recent times... I never saw it until this season. I didn't play a lot of Gen 7 BSS but this apparently has been a set since then (though back then it ran a Z-Crystal which obviously is now unavailable), but it always gets the drop on me and usually trades with 1 of my mons before going down and I hate it... The variants I've seen have all been this set specifically:

Mimikyu @ Bright Powder
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Curse
- Thunder Wave / Play Rough
- Substitute
- Pain Split

I guess lower HP investment means you take more from the opponent with Pain Split? Idk. All I know is if you don't lead a Magic Guard Clefable, a Taunt user (preferably one not weak to Fairy just in case they are packing Play Rough), or Mold Breaker Excadrill/Haxorus you are in for a very bad start to your match...ugh.

So I've been styled on this by this set in more recent times... I never saw it until this season. I didn't play a lot of Gen 7 BSS but this apparently has been a set since then (though back then it ran a Z-Crystal which obviously is now unavailable), but it always gets the drop on me and usually trades with 1 of my mons before going down and I hate it... The variants I've seen have all been this set specifically:

Mimikyu @ Bright Powder
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Curse
- Thunder Wave / Play Rough
- Substitute
- Pain Split

I guess lower HP investment means you take more from the opponent with Pain Split? Idk. All I know is if you don't lead a Magic Guard Clefable, a Taunt user (preferably one not weak to Fairy just in case they are packing Play Rough), or Mold Breaker Excadrill/Haxorus you are in for a very bad start to your match...ugh.
I approve yet disapprove of brightpowder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)