Singles 3v3 Singles (BSS) Discussion

Has anyone else been put off from ranked battles in game by people rage quitting and causing you to disconnect? Apparently they are exploiting a bug and nintendo is aware, can they fix it or will they just have to deal on a case-by-case basis? It really sucks lol.
Yeah. It took me ages to get to Masterball as I would say around half of my 'wins' werent registered as people disconnected.

Yo guys... can anyone recommend a good defensive Milotic set? I want to run one with Marvel Scale and Mirror Coat but I don’t know what EV-spread to use.

Yo guys... can anyone recommend a good defensive Milotic set? I want to run one with Marvel Scale and Mirror Coat but I don’t know what EV-spread to use.
I hope this can help you out. This is basic, but I like this set.

:ss/milotic:

Milotic (F) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Marvel Scale
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Recover
- Mirror Coat
- Haze

I hope this can help you out. This is basic, but I like this set.

:ss/milotic:

Milotic (F) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Mirror Coat
- Haze
Thank you! Do you also know a good one for Goodra? :)

Thank you! Do you also know a good one for Goodra? :)
:ss/goodra:

Goodra (M) @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Gooey
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Acid Armor
- Counter
- Life Dew

Even though this is a basic set this should be good for defense

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Goodra (M) @ Aguav Berry
Calm Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Acid Armor
- Counter
- Life Dew

This is a terrible, very situational set. You'll get way more mileage using AV Goodra.

Sap Sipper as an ability, Dragon Pulse as main attack, followed by 3 out of Acid Spray, tbolt, fire move, focus blast, or sludge wave.

This is a terrible, very situational set. You'll get way more mileage using AV Goodra.

Sap Sipper as an ability, Dragon Pulse as main attack, followed by 3 out of Acid Spray, tbolt, fire move, focus blast, or sludge wave.
That is true, but the whole idea of the set is staying alive. Assault Vest Goodra is an offensive set regardless of the evs so I just wanted to try something different.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Feel free to "try something different" on your own all you want. We're not the "standard set police" trying to say every Pokemon should use the most standard set. However, the problem arises when you masquerade this concoction as a "basic standard Goodra set."

I find it very intellectually dishonest to let you convince this guy to breed this Goodra just because of you potentially being upset that your set is called "bad" knowing that it's a very suboptimal set, very far from what most Goodra players find strong with this Pokemon, and likely be a gigantic waste of time breeding.

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
That is true, but the whole idea of the set is staying alive. Assault Vest Goodra is an offensive set regardless of the evs so I just wanted to try something different.
Definitely not trying to gang up on you, but putting multiples of 8 EVs in any stat (as you have with your Goodra set) slightly disqualifies you from recommending, as this is wasted EVs that don't correspond to a stat increase.

Feel free to reach out if you want help with optimizing sets, I can definitely lend a hand. Also, I appreciate you trying to make an effort to help others, because often this place doesn't help posters who ask questions nearly as much as it should, but be careful to not recommend sets or spreads that are not just niche, but strictly suboptimal.

Definitely not trying to gang up on you, but putting multiples of 8 EVs in any stat (as you have with your Goodra set) slightly disqualifies you from recommending, as this is wasted EVs that don't correspond to a stat increase.

Feel free to reach out if you want help with optimizing sets, I can definitely lend a hand. Also, I appreciate you trying to make an effort to help others, because often this place doesn't help posters who ask questions nearly as much as it should, but be careful to not recommend sets or spreads that are not just niche, but strictly suboptimal.
Ok, I just thought on something niche just because they wanted to go on the full defense

Goodra (M) @ Aguav Berry
Calm Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Acid Armor
- Counter
- Life Dew

Life Dew also only heals 25% damage too, so it’s just not that great of an option where most normal attacks to most normal Pokemon do at least 25% damage (I would say) anyway.

Anyway, you could try a set like this for defensive Goodra:

Goodra @ Leftovers / Chesto Berry
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP, 252 SpD, 4 Def
Calm Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk / Flamethrower
- Dragon Pulse
- Sludge Wave / Flamethrower

(Note: this set isn’t optimized for anything specific; feel free to adjust as need be)

Goodra has the second highest special defense stat in this meta game right now, so it would make sense to invest in special defense/HP to augment Goodra’s strength here. Rest/Sleep Talk allows Goodra to tank a few hits while not necessarily sacrificing turns due to Rest-induced sleep. Dragon Pulse is the main stab here; this Goodra is meant to stay on the field a fair bit, so Draco Meteor would inhibit it’s effectiveness here. The last move is meant to cover Pokemon that resist Dragon moves. There are a ton of Fairies in BSS right now, so I think Sludge Wave may be the better choice here. Flamethrower is viable as well, as it has better neutral coverage with Dragon Pulse, and it hits most Steel Pokemon for reasonable damage. I think that three attacks + Chesto-Rest could work here too; the BSS meta is fairly fast paced right now, and this would allow Goodra to have way better coverage then the two attack version.

Hope this helps!

This set gives Goodra more physical bulk, while still taking advantage of it's natural special bulk.

Goodra @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Curse
- Earthquake
- Rest
- Body Press/ Outrage/ Counter/ Iron Tail

Curse is to increase power and physical bulk. I don't mind the speed drop since 80 base isn't much anyway. Sap Sipper is a good ability so you can't get seeded by Ferrothorn or Appletun. Earthquake hits Pokemon like Excadrill, Tyranitar, and Toxapex hard. If Goodra gets worn down after stacking Curses, then Rest is there along with a held Chesto Berry to instantly heal. Unfortunately, since Goodra can't learn Dragon Tail this gen, you may have to substitute it with Body Press for Ice types, or Outrage for a hard-hitting STAB move, but fairies like Mimikyu are common in BSS, so I wouldn't run that. You can sash Counter in there to surprise strong physical attackers. Iron Tail is another option too if you want to hit fairies super effectively, but the accuracy is a bit shaky.

This set is unexpected and can take people by surprise! I hope this set pleases you.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
For real time discussion you can also join our Discord here: https://discord.gg/TXmgYKu
Here, the Discord server, Bazaar, and RMT are all places to discuss team ideas.

The distinction would be that this thread is for all discussion with no restriction, the discussion can be slow, but it won't get lost in time.
Discord is generally a better place for active discussion but some people don't like it for various reasons and that's fine.
Bazaar is generally reserved for a team you've used a lot and want to share so other people can use it too (often shared in Rental Code + Pokepaste) but that being a personal standard, there's no restrictions to who can post.
RMT threads require you a minimum level of description on your team to post, which is a barrier of entry. If you just want to drop a pokepaste and nothing else don't post in RMT cuz you'll just get your post deleted, but wherever you post more information you give = more in depth help you are likely to get, anyways.

You would be getting responses from mostly the same crowd anywhere you post, though.

Well if you look at their moveset and what they can do its basically the same thing. The only difference if Excadrill is using the sand rush ability, but I am comparing Excadrill and Haxorus with the mold breaker ability. Also I rarely dynamax my Excadrill, but Haxorus is always a dynamax threat. There is more then that but that is just for starters.

Here are the sets I am comparing:

:ss/Excadrill:

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
Level: 50
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Tomb
- Swords Dance

:ss/Haxorus:

Haxorus @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
Level: 50
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Iron Tail
- Dragon Dance

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
How about a Throat Spray + Clangorous Soul set?
It can work, but at the same time setting up is asking to get massacred by Mimikyu or any other fairy user. Better to just use a set with immediate value rather than getting hard shutdown by a ton of the meta.

Honestly I don’t think Ferrothorn is as good as it was before because metagame mons like Dragapult and Tyranitar mostly fire-moves on their sets, and it can OHKO or 2HKO even with full defensive investment. Even Fairy-types give it some trouble now that that most of them run Mystical Fire. It is only good at checking Dracovish, Mimikyu, and Dragapults without Flamethrower/Fire Blast, but overall, the meta isn’t friendly with Ferrothorn and personally I think Corviknight can do better as a physical wall that’s even able to run specially defensive.

I actually think Ferrothorn has become even better lately. Lapras and Primarina have become pretty common over the past couple of months Ferrothorn can just sit and Leech Seed on them. In the case of the former, you can even fully stall out the effects of GMax Resonance provided you dodge some Sheer Colds. If I had to choose between Ferrothorn and Corviknight, I probably would still think Corviknight is stronger overall, but it is much closer than it was say 3 months ago.

The issue of most offensive mons having Fire-type coverage has been there since the beginning and it's not too uncommon to run Occa Berry on Ferrothorn now. Also Ferrothorn is one of the few Grass-type choices to form a FWG core in the current metagame.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)