5th Gen PRNG Help / Info - Latest: RNG Reporter 9.96.5, PPRNG 1.15.0

He can do this pretty easily because he's using a real cart, but the process for flash carts is a bit more complicated. Unfortunately, most people on Smogon are playing B\W with a flashcart.

I have a quick question, I've been reading up on the articles so far and trying to get my head round things. With breeding, i noticed there is a NPC on the same route. How do you control this? as they would advance the frame I'm guessing.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Why is it more complicated? I'm pretty sure most flashcarts nowadays support soft resetting. Mine does, at least.
It's not the resetting that's difficult. It's the predicting seeds part. There are four values that are used in the seed encryption. We know the range of these values for a DS Lite+real cart. But a flashcart gives different values, and there are so many different models of flashcart, each with different values.

Furthermore, these values change if you are using an AR, and we don't know what they change to. So we can't predict seeds if you do.

I have a quick question, I've been reading up on the articles so far and trying to get my head round things. With breeding, i noticed there was a NPC on the same route. How do you control this as they would advance the frame I would imagine?
When the NPCs advance the frame, all they are doing is changing which IVs are passed down from the parent. You should use Power items to overcome this.

When the NPCs advance the frame, all they are doing is changing which IVs are passed down from the parent. You should use Power items to overcome this.
Cheers for that, and thanks to you and everyone who contributed to the research :)

I'll have more questions soon....

It's not the resetting that's difficult. It's the predicting seeds part. There are four values that are used in the seed encryption. We know the range of these values for a DS Lite+real cart. But a flashcart gives different values, and there are so many different models of flashcart, each with different values.

Furthermore, these values change if you are using an AR, and we don't know what they change to. So we can't predict seeds if you do.
Wouldn't Emulators have the same problem? People seem to be able to RNG abuse on them.

Bond697

Dies, died, will die.
Wouldn't Emulators have the same problem? People seem to be able to RNG abuse on them.
OD is talking about predicting for non-cgear seeds. the values used in hashing the seed change depending on (along with some other values) a pair of timers in the 04000000 range of memory. the timers are different depending on whether you're using a real cart, a flash cart, an emu, an AR,etc. this is because the changes in hardware(faster, slower, etc) change the timing. see here:

http://nocash.emubase.de/gbatek.htm

for reference. these 2 in particular:

4000006h 2 R VCOUNT Vertical Counter (LY)

4000100h 2 R/W TM0CNT_L Timer 0 Counter/Reload

those 2 timers are... combined to create a special ID that is used in hashing. and due to minute differences in timing based on differing hardware/emulated hardware the IDs will change.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
People using emulators have the benefit of using save states. Doing what they do on an actual DS would drive people mad.

And they're not actually predicting seeds. With the emulator they can look directly in the game's memory and find the state of the RNG, so they're in effect cheating to find out what happens next.

those 2 timers are... combined to create a special ID that is used in hashing. and due to minute differences in timing based on differing hardware/emulated hardware the IDs will change.
There's actually two more that are XOR'd with the MAC address. One's called GxStat, and the second one I call VFrame. I can't find an official name for VFrame, but the Japanese call it Frame so I just call it VFrame in order to not confuse it with RNG frames.

Bond697

Dies, died, will die.
what a coincidence, i actually came across those values in a couple of japanese RNG apps today. i've been looking for documentation to find out what they were, and not having much luck.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
GxStat according to GBAtek is:

4000600h 4 GXSTAT Geometry Engine Status Register (R and R/W)

Bond697

Dies, died, will die.
there's a certain irony in my linking xelite to gbatek and not bothering to look there myself. especially considering how close that is to what i referred him to. what's the location of the second one? or do you not know yet?

Is there ever going to be a way to figure out the hardware speeds or whatever values you need for your flashcart? I've got an Acekard 2i; maybe there's some way I can help?

If not I'll just RNG abuse on a boring old emulator. How do you change the date on an emulator?

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
Is there ever going to be a way to figure out the hardware speeds or whatever values you need for your flashcart? I've got an Acekard 2i; maybe there's some way I can help?

If not I'll just RNG abuse on a boring old emulator. How do you change the date on an emulator?
I already can do the non C-Gear seed prediction on an Acekard 2i. We have an AR code that retrieves the values of two of the timers, making it much easier to figure out the value of the other two. This code only works for flashcarts; on real carts the game whitescreens.

I am not looking forward to helping people with different models of flashcart figure out how to upload AR codes so they can find their values.

I already can do the non C-Gear seed prediction on an Acekard 2i. We have an AR code that retrieves the values of two of the timers, making it much easier to figure out the value of the other two. This code only works for flashcarts; on real carts the game whitescreens.

I am not looking forward to helping people with different models of flashcart figure out how to upload AR codes so they can find their values.
Have you tried different firmwares on the Acekard? I think those may affect the timings, my seeds changed a while back and I'm curious what caused that to happen.(A problem being that I can't remember if I updated the Firmware or not.)

Also, I'm sure people should be able to figure out how to add AR codes to their devices themselves. All you need for that is Google and a brain.

Have you tried different firmwares on the Acekard? I think those may affect the timings, my seeds changed a while back and I'm curious what caused that to happen.(A problem being that I can't remember if I updated the Firmware or not.)

Also, I'm sure people should be able to figure out how to add AR codes to their devices themselves. All you need for that is Google and a brain.
I had a problem like this too. When I updated my Supercard DStwo's firmware, I couldn't hit my non c-gear seed anymore. >_< I don't really know what's causing it.

Bond697

Dies, died, will die.
I had a problem like this too. When I updated my Supercard DStwo's firmware, I couldn't hit my non c-gear seed anymore. >_< I don't really know what's causing it.
they occasionally tweak read speeds with new firmware/patch.dat. also, if your microSD card is on the slower side, it can affect loading times/saving times, and who knows what else. what class is yours? it should be a number on the front of the card.

When you're trying to do C-Gear abuse, do you have to get to the frame, (in this case 900,) before or after you hit your target time and delay?

Trying to RNG for Voltlos, but the frames the RNG spits out are completely different from the IVs I'm actually getting. Is there another option in the RNG reporter I'm missing or something?

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
Trying to RNG for Voltlos, but the frames the RNG spits out are completely different from the IVs I'm actually getting. Is there another option in the RNG reporter I'm missing or something?
Start by describing your entire procedure, step by step, so we can see what - if anything - you're doing wrong.

Ok, I check my seed with the code, check my frame, turn the codes off, walk around the house till I hit my frame, go outside and check the nature, if the nature sucks, I go to my save state and try again.

However, since the RNG reporter isn't working for my roamer, (works for random encounters, though!) I've been doing this over and over, recording my frames as I go. I have two Pokemon in my party (after I saved and got my save states set up I was like fffffffffffffff).

Seed: (Hex) 839f6ed0

My recorded frames (didn't record ones under twelve for some reason)

12= 17 5 1 18 20 3
14= 1/20/3/26/18/27
16= 3 18 27 20 26 9
18= 27 26 7 17 20 28
20= 9 20 28 17 17 31 !
22= 28 17 31 20 17 30 !
24= 31 17 30 27 20 13
26= 30 20 13 8 27 29
28= 13 27 29 28 8 25
30= 29 8 25 6 28 12
32= 25 28 12 28 6 14
34= 12 6 14 31 28 11
38= 11 31 16 18 30 2
40= 16 30 2 27 18 5

for an example of what the RNG is giving me, for frame 12 I'm supposed to get 20/27/24/23/15/19.

there's probably something else im missing here

EDIT: my c-gear is on fuck; gonna test with it off right quick
EDITEDIT: the frame check comes back with 624 right off the bat, so I turned the c-gear off and back on and I'm back at frame two, and my seed is 4483a286

according to the RNG i should get this:

10/8/19/21/11/29

or something like that since the roamers ivs are kinda scrambled?

gonna step out and check and edit this post with results

EDIT: I got 3/18/27/20/26/9 (and a hardy nature) on frame two; still doesn't match

EDITTIMESTEN: if this helps, this is my screen atm

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
You're using the C-Gear seed, then? So you also have to tell us the time, MAC address, etc. Also exactly which seed check codes you're using, there are several.

Nah, I think I got it; mattj helped me on the IRC. I've saved outside of the house now and I'm looking for a good seed/frame. :)

I have my MAC address, date, and time (up to minutes) of when I started my game, and IVs of a caught Pokémon. Can I convert this into a seed with delay and seconds? I'm using the C-Gear, by the way, and starting it up once I'm ingame.

Toast++

Nexus is literally the worst.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I have my MAC address, date, and time (up to minutes) of when I started my game, and IVs of a caught Pokémon. Can I convert this into a seed with delay and seconds? I'm using the C-Gear, by the way, and starting it up once I'm ingame.
I assume you're asking for calibration purposes?
If so then there's no need. Just try to hit a seed, catch something to see what you hit and adjust the timer. You should be really close after the first update.

My next question would be what programs can search for Gen V C-Gear seeds and work reasonably well on OS X? RNG Reporter takes way too long.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)