5th Gen PRNG Help / Info - Latest: RNG Reporter 9.96.5, PPRNG 1.15.0

Hi everyone, i'm new ahere and i hope you can help me with something that it's driving me crazy.

first of all i wanna thank you for all the helpful guides about RNG. I learn a lot in only 2 months and now i'm a kind of expert in 4th (Platinum/Soul Silver/Heart Gold) and 5th (Black and White). I saved a lot of time and got the legendary pokémon as i really want :).

i actually got a almost flawless Arceus from my white(The one who Pokémon give away from the dream world) and i got a Shiny Tornadus(i love it) and now i only need one more legendary Pokémon to finish my collection and that Pokémon is Thundurus.

But i'm having a really bad problem with this RNG, it seems that the PIDRNG advance is very very erratic, i mean even when it suppose to advance 550-750 with no weather(yes, i save the game in summer), i can't hit less than 955 frame and i don't know why this happen. :(. i'm trying to get a shiny thundurus and the frame is 921 so that's why i'm worried.

Actually i wanna know if the RNG thundurus is different from tornadus, because when the roamer appears and summon the storm, i don't know if the animation thunder counts to advance the PIDRNG frame or is it only the rain animation? Still, that's no reason that the frame advance so erratic. I check with a external clock and the animation last 9 seconds(counting the thunder animation) and 7 only the rain. But that should be 470-560 + all the NPC. Also everytime i advance the frame with chatot i'm getting the same Thundurus everytime. if i advance 10 time the frame, i got an Adamant Thundurus with Michievous characteristic and if i SR and do that again i got the same Thundurus not matter if i advance 1 less or 1 more. :(

I read that sometimes the PIDRNG get "stick" so do you think that's my problem? i really want the shiny thundurus because i have tornadus and landorus shiny and i want my shiny trio. but i'm getting mad because i cannot calculate the PIDRNG with this one, with tornadus was easy, in fact i knew 1 hour later what frame i was hitting but with Thundurus the relation of PIDRNG with my Chatot Advaces doesn't make any senses ;(. If some can help me i would really appreciate. I'm getting the desired IV's so that's not the problem, also i'm trying to catch him at february 2014 do you think this could mess the PIDRNG advances?

Cool page and seriously thanks for all the RNG guides i got like 100 new great Pokémon in only 2 moths. :) i spent the same time playing normally and never got more than 1 good Pokémon :P.
Hi, i haven't actually done a shiny roamer yet on b/w so my reply might be misleading :p, pardon, but don't say i didn't warn you.

Regarding your question. I have some clarifications first. Have you verified your shifted starting frame after hitting your seed and doing 1 chatter? Have you confirmed that you're indeed hitting your seed, by talking to the guy in the battle subway to verify the IVs (the problem may lie in the timer0 fluctuating or something)? If so, you've tried doing 1 chatter at a time, and you can't match a pattern generated in the reporter? Did you save inside the house of the old lady?

Last edited:
Hi, i haven't actually done a shiny roamer yet on b/w so my reply might be misleading :p, pardon, but don't say i didn't warn you.

Regarding your question. I have some clarifications first. Have you verified your shifted starting frame after hitting your seed and doing 1 chatter? Have you confirmed that you're indeed hitting your seed, by talking to the guy in the battle subway to verify the IVs (the problem may lie in the timer0 fluctuating or something)? If so, you've tried doing 1 chatter at a time, and you can't match a pattern generated in the reporter? Did you save inside the house of the old lady?
well, after 1 insane day of have been hitting frames 1 by 1 i finally gave up and caught a normal Thundurus ;(, now i will answer.

-Yes, i verified the starting frame and the advances since i got the IV's i want everytime and i always got exactly same nature and charactarestic doing 1 chatter. It was really weird because 0 chatters always gave me a frame with a Naughty nature; Often Dozes Off. When i advanced the chatter 1 by 1, i always got the same nature, same characteristics; every 1 chatter and was really weird, because with Tornadus this never happened. My timer0 was always correct. To be honest i don't know what the heck happen with the frame advances by the roamer's weather. And yes when i did 1 chatter at a time and the pattern doesn't match at all. ;( was really frustating.

As i said i gave up so i look my notes and find out that i had hit a Modest frame with certain things i did in the game. So i did the same things and guess what? yes in my first try i got that modest nature again, i don't know if the game tried to screw my hits all the time and gave me whatever it wants.

Also i can told you, guys, that tornadus work diferent from thundurus. I can now say that the thunder animation DOESN'T ADVANCE THE PIDRNG FRAME. This start moving until the rain appears so Thundurus rain last only 7 seconds instead of the 9 of tornadus. I verified this because i sent my Thundurus to Pokécheck and i could see the PID. I got the PID in the 802 frame but i let the rain animation for 12 secs(i let this secs on purpose in order to hit the modest frame); this without count the thunder animation; Because if i took all the rain animation counting the that the secs should be 14~15 and this should gave me a 900~940 frame and this can't be posible. Hope some RNG experts can agree with me and make tests to verify this. I will try another Thundurus this time i'm gonna manipulate my ID/SID and try a lower frame. If i can check again the 7 secs becuase of the roamer's rain i will let you know.

i did save inside the house of the old lady BTW.

well, after 1 insane day of have been hitting frames 1 by 1 i finally gave up and caught a normal Thundurus ;(, now i will answer.

-Yes, i verified the starting frame and the advances since i got the IV's i want everytime and i always got exactly same nature and charactarestic doing 1 chatter. It was really weird because 0 chatters always gave me a frame with a Naughty nature; Often Dozes Off. When i advanced the chatter 1 by 1, i always got the same nature, same characteristics; every 1 chatter and was really weird, because with Tornadus this never happened. My timer0 was always correct. To be honest i don't know what the heck happen with the frame advances by the roamer's weather. And yes when i did 1 chatter at a time and the pattern doesn't match at all. ;( was really frustating.

As i said i gave up so i look my notes and find out that i had hit a Modest frame with certain things i did in the game. So i did the same things and guess what? yes in my first try i got that modest nature again, i don't know if the game tried to screw my hits all the time and gave me whatever it wants.

Also i can told you, guys, that tornadus work diferent from thundurus. I can now say that the thunder animation DOESN'T ADVANCE THE PIDRNG FRAME. This start moving until the rain appears so Thundurus rain last only 7 seconds instead of the 9 of tornadus. I verified this because i sent my Thundurus to Pokécheck and i could see the PID. I got the PID in the 802 frame but i let the rain animation for 12 secs(i let this secs on purpose in order to hit the modest frame); this without count the thunder animation; Because if i took all the rain animation counting the that the secs should be 14~15 and this should gave me a 900~940 frame and this can't be posible. Hope some RNG experts can agree with me and make tests to verify this. I will try another Thundurus this time i'm gonna manipulate my ID/SID and try a lower frame. If i can check again the 7 secs becuase of the roamer's rain i will let you know.

i did save inside the house of the old lady BTW.
Doesn't that make your frame advancement consistent, given that you always get the same nature when you do x number of chatters?

To quote the guide in smogon's homepage, it tells you the range of frames where you should start looking at: Is rain present? if so you may have opted to search for the thousand mark.
  • No Weather Present: 550-750
  • Rain Present: 1500-1900
  • Snow Present (Winter Only): 260-300
note that there is also a disclaimer on the guide stating: You may need to check outside of these ranges, however these are the most common.

Last edited:
new page.
I just try with Timer0: A00 - 1500 and VCount 20-99 but nothing....
try deselecting "only search min&max gxstat".
and you have to write the time in which you press A to open the game. don't soft-reset.
comunque ho appena visto che sei italiano. te lo riscrivo:
deseleziona "only search min&max gxstat".
e devi scrivere l'orario in cui premi A per aprire il gioco. non soft-resettare.

Princess Emily

Fear the nice-smelling Princess!
  • No Weather Present: 550-750
  • Rain Present: 1500-1900
  • Snow Present (Winter Only): 260-300
BTW this part isn't updated.

The correct one is 440-460+ for Thundurus if no weather is present (600-620+ for Tornadus)...
Or 1670+ (Thundurus) or 1750+ (Tornadus) if there's rain.
Snow is still the same as above.
For Hail, uhh... I haven't researched enough yet :p

And yeah, I have provided dates with no weather from this link: http://www.smogon.com/ingame/rng/pprng_gen5_07_roamers

I am finding this line in the guide ambiguous:

• Keypresses: More keypresses => More results => more time.
      • For the majority of people, having a keypress seed increases their calibrated timer0 by 1. If you want keypress seed, adjust your calibrated timer0 according to how your DS acts.

What does this mean about adjusting your calibrated timer0. I thought timer0 couldn't be adjusted?

Edit: More info; I am prepping for an RNG abuse and I was looking at the guides to make sure I remembered how when I came across that line. So I'm just checking to find out what it means.

Last edited:
We never have experienced any anormalies when using keypresses. The front page and the guide say that the Timer0 may increase but they don't seem to be up to date. The last time we have ask this (a long time ago) the answer was that keypresses have no influence on the Timer0.

You may try calibrating with keypresses and see if it makes a difference but we doubt it.

We never have experienced any anormalies when using keypresses. The front page and the guide say that the Timer0 may increase but they don't seem to be up to date. The last time we have ask this (a long time ago) the answer was that keypresses have no influence on the Timer0.

You may try calibrating with keypresses and see if it makes a difference but we doubt it.
Thanks. So far, the RNG is behaving as expected. I appreciate the help. :)

The correct one is 440-460+ for Thundurus if no weather is present (600-620+ for Tornadus)...

And yeah, I have provided dates with no weather from this link: http://www.smogon.com/ingame/rng/pprng_gen5_07_roamers
Thank you so much for the update. To be honest i didn't know that thundurus is 440-460. In the guides only says that is 550-750 for roamers but never said it's different between thundurus and tornadus. With this i can even hit a 550 frame for my new thundurus. You practically save me, because i was about to hit a 650 frame now i can lower this. Thank you so much. :D

I'm glad you posted this. I'm restarting a game soon to get a properly RNGed Tornadus. I frigged up the order of the IVs the first time. This info will make the RNG easier.

Thanks for the verification, no wonder roamers keep messing up people's games.

I have some problems rng-ing an eevee from castelia garden (white2), i hit my correct nature and IVs but i keep encountering Pidoves
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12206225/encounterw2.htm

I'm currently using that table for encounter slots
Unless the Encounter Slots on Eggmove are wrong, which is quite unlikely, I'd say it's something that you need to check in your RNG Reporter setup.
BTW, the latest Encounter slots are this: http://eggmove.com/encounterwhite2.html Eevee's on ECs 9 and 11.

Can you post your SEED(full) and your Target frame?

If Timer0 is not the issue, then the next thing might.

First one, is your frame (49) an IV or a PID frame?! I'm asking this because unlike gen 4, chatots don't advance the IV frame in gen 5 and you have to use other methods. If this is your problem I would just give up the seed and look for another one with an IV frame of 1.

Another thing that will throw you off later is the fact that PID frames don't start at frame 1, but rather at different frames depending on the seed. To solve for this just paste the seed into the main page, select the method using and click on calculate initial PID RNG. You just have to do the remaining advances.

And finally, yes, you need to press them all together and right refers to the arrow while "R" refers to the shoulder.

Good luck.
I got it figured out, thank you for your suggestions.

Turns out that L/R triggers affect my Timer0 (which is probably a 'duh' for most of you). My seed required an R hold, screwing up the Timer0, blah blah blah. Got a new spread, got my 31/0/31/31/31/31 Shiny Timid Volcarona second try.

I wanted to RNG a shiny for a friend of mine. So I just entered her ID+SID into the time finder with all the other parameters staying the same. I hit the right seed (verified by Chatot pitches), grab the egg, trade it over to her. BUT. It isn't shiny. I already handed over 5 Pokés to her but it was never shiny. So I wondered where this comes from. She gave the Poké to me so I could doublecheck her ID/SID and such. I looked at the PID and noticed that this PID isn't listed ANYWHERE near the frame I should have hit. I have been RNG abusing for a while now and I also did the same process for getting a shiny Growlithe hatched on my Black 2 and everything went fine, but this time I don't understand anything at all. She also has Black 2 which makes me not understand it at all. First I thought maybe it's due to trading the egg over to her, but as I said, I already did this in the past for own purposes and I am quite sure I already also did this for her a few times like a year ago and there were no complications at all.
Does anyone have a clue what's going on here? I mean, the PID of the hatched one isn't listed AT ALL. Not even +-20frames or so. I also doublechecked everything, making sure that my input is right. The PID is set when receiving the egg, isn't it? What am I missing at this point? This whole story is killing me.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I wanted to RNG a shiny for a friend of mine. So I just entered her ID+SID into the time finder with all the other parameters staying the same. I hit the right seed (verified by Chatot pitches), grab the egg, trade it over to her. BUT. It isn't shiny. I already handed over 5 Pokés to her but it was never shiny. So I wondered where this comes from. She gave the Poké to me so I could doublecheck her ID/SID and such. I looked at the PID and noticed that this PID isn't listed ANYWHERE near the frame I should have hit. I have been RNG abusing for a while now and I also did the same process for getting a shiny Growlithe hatched on my Black 2 and everything went fine, but this time I don't understand anything at all. She also has Black 2 which makes me not understand it at all. First I thought maybe it's due to trading the egg over to her, but as I said, I already did this in the past for own purposes and I am quite sure I already also did this for her a few times like a year ago and there were no complications at all.
Does anyone have a clue what's going on here? I mean, the PID of the hatched one isn't listed AT ALL. Not even +-20frames or so. I also doublechecked everything, making sure that my input is right. The PID is set when receiving the egg, isn't it? What am I missing at this point? This whole story is killing me.
If you're using international parents, it won't hatch shiny.

try deselecting "only search min&max gxstat".
and you have to write the time in which you press A to open the game. don't soft-reset.
comunque ho appena visto che sei italiano. te lo riscrivo:
deseleziona "only search min&max gxstat".
e devi scrivere l'orario in cui premi A per aprire il gioco. non soft-resettare.
I had the same result:

However, the initial screen isn't the same of original cart. When I press "A" to open game there is before a purple screen with the SupercardDSTWO logo and then the withe screen of the game..

I had the same result:

However, the initial screen isn't the same of original cart. When I press "A" to open game there is before a purple screen with the SupercardDSTWO logo and then the withe screen of the game..
Since I assume that a Flashcaart takes some time to load the game, maybe you can try to increase the Min and Max seconds value?
If it were me, I'd change those to 0 and 59.

T_T So, i want almost cry, seriously!

Hi guys i'm here again :D. Well last week Princess Emily help me to find my right frame for my Thundurus. I learn how to abuse my ID/SID, i got snivy and tepig shiny from the begin thanks to that. So i abuse my ID/SID for a Shiny Thundurus frame 568. And again i restart my game; got my 8th badge; traded my chatots and saved before leaving the house. So i start the frame advances with chatot and i got this patter:

0 Chatters Gentle Alert to Sounds
5 Chatters Lax Alert to Sounds
10 Chatters Modest Alert to Sounds
15 Chatters Brave Often Dozes Off
20 Chatters Impish Alert to Sounds
25 Chatters Hasty Alert to Sounds
30 Chatters Mild Often Dozes Off
35 Chatters Rash Alert to Sounds
40 Chatters Brave Often Dozes Off

My seed is 29E0EA51D564B841 and when i look a pattern to this advances, there is no way they match at all ;( it's so frustrate, i look in the 480-540 range and nothing. I even look in a higher frame but there is no match either. I also check the rain animation and this last 7 seconds. I don't know if my RNGReporter is broken, i'm stupid(lol xD) or if this doesn't match at all the thundurus PIDRNG. I even download and pay the PPRNG to my iPhone(Kudos on that i must say, its a smoth app, thank you) and i got the same inconsistent pattern. This is my second try, i'm not a newbie in RNG i'm kinda good; got more than 20 shiny in 4th and a lot in 5th generation; all the legendaries with almost perfect IV(this was because i wanted them that way :D) with diferents delays(i could even hit delays out of my delay hit); got a RNG'ed Dream World Arceus perfect IV's, desired nature; even got a RNG'ed Shiny Tornadus for god's sake(Without abusing the ID/SID). But with this thundurus it's simple impossible to me to find the right pattern. And when i do the chatters again i got the same pattern over and over.

Please i'm desperate, i don't know what to do. I check all my parameters, the seed and everything like 3 times. Yes, i hit my seed and my IV's frame.

Someone has any idea of why with my thundurus i can't find the right pattern?

P.S. When i go out to the house i smash A as quick as possible.

Last edited:
^ How many advances did you make to get to frame 568? Because that's the number of advances you need to get the shiny at that frame after abusing your ID/SID.

^ How many advances did you make to get to frame 568? Because that's the number of advances you need to get the shiny at that frame after abusing your ID/SID.
Wait? so i need to see what frame i hit the most and then abuse my ID/SID? i just chose that frame because i like it and i didn't need so much advances.
Also i gave up again and sent the thundurus to the Pokecheck. Surprisingly the frames with 10 advances and 30 advances were correct but every other frame has no relation between them. Is this possible? Also with 30 chatters i always hit 564 Mild/Often Dozes Off, since the Thundurus i capture has the PID of the frame 544, the 0 chatters according to the RNG should be Bashful but instead i always got Gentle/Alert to sounds. i don't know why the PID frame change so drastically, when i know i always smashed the A button as quick as possible. I mean, i could get Gentle 2 times but 10 tries and got the same frame i think there is something wrong.

I did 31, 32, 33, 34 and 35 advances, i always got the same nature Rash Alert to sounds. You can't miss 5 advances right? and i should reach my shiny or a frame near to it but with those 5 advances i always landed in the 571 frame and never hit the 567, 568, 569, or 570 frame.

I put all this because i want some help and advices. I want to try one more time but now i don't want anything random. What can you guys, suggest? I will do the RNG in another DS lite. I don't know if that change something, because i didn't have any problems with others RNG Pokémon in the DS i always use, but i will do it.

Last edited:
Or now that i know with 10 frames i hit the 544 frame i just restart the game, abuse my ID/SID to get shiny that frame and i should get it by then?

Or now that i know with 10 frames i hit the 544 frame i just restart the game, abuse my ID/SID to get shiny that frame and i should get it by then?
This is correct. Basically if you find a seed that produces a Timid HP Ice Thundurus at frame 528 after 15 chatters, abusing your ID/SID using that exact frame will yield a shiny on the new file after 15 chatters.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)