5th Gen PRNG Help / Info - Latest: RNG Reporter 9.96.5, PPRNG 1.15.0

Hi I have a question about PIDRNG. How am I able to hit a seed on the frame for example 48. Is my starting frame 1? Or 40? I'm a bit confused.
Thanks for answering!

Hi I have a question about PIDRNG. How am I able to hit a seed on the frame for example 48. Is my starting frame 1? Or 40? I'm a bit confused.
Thanks for answering!
Well you would go to the main RNG reporter menu, select gen 5 PIDRNG(or whatever gen you're doing) in the method tab, then put your seed where it says seed(hex) and press calculate PIDRNG starting frame and that should be your starting frame(if there are no moving NPCs)
heres a picture for reference
screeny2.png

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Note that if you're using BW2, and you've done the Memory Link features on those games, make sure you select that as well, otherwise your PIDRNG will be off.

Hi, smogon friends.

Well, I've allways admired this site: its trully an university at pokemon after all! It's my very 1st post!

I've got a problem here and I'll try to describe it the best way I can.

I've been trying to RNG a "always Shiny" wondercard Giratina (Summer2013) in Pokemon White 1. I go to the time finder and it looks like this:

I think I did everything right: set down the method and shininness.

I copy the seed hex to the main window and, after the calculation of the initial PID frame it looks like this:

My initial frame is 48. I can confirm that I hit the correct seed because when I load up at the correct moment and fetch the poke it looks EXACTLY like the shown in the frame 48. Nature, IVs and HP.

The problem is that, when I advance the frames using chatots, I receive Giratinas not described in the chart. For instance, if I advance one frame I will receive a Giratina not described in ANY frame of the seed. I put Max results to whatever number I imagine and search for the Giratina only to find it doesnt exists.

This is my 4th seed and the first one that the initial frame matches.

I would apreciate any help. Thanks in advance!

Well you would go to the main RNG reporter menu, select gen 5 PIDRNG(or whatever gen you're doing) in the method tab, then put your seed where it says seed(hex) and press calculate PIDRNG starting frame and that should be your starting frame(if there are no moving NPCs)
heres a picture for reference
View attachment 6908
so if the frame need is 48 I just need to do 8 Chatot cry right?

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
The problem is that, when I advance the frames using chatots, I receive Giratinas not described in the chart. For instance, if I advance one frame I will receive a Giratina not described in ANY frame of the seed. I put Max results to whatever number I imagine and search for the Giratina only to find it doesnt exists.

This is my 4th seed and the first one that the initial frame matches.

I would apreciate any help. Thanks in advance!
Sounds like the Timer0 is trolling you, since you are able to correctly hit your seed at least some of the time. Unfortunately, that's just the nature of RNG. Nothing you can really do except to keep trying with the same seed. You'll get it eventually. People have more success getting the right Timer0 by starting the game at a consistent time from the DS menu, but that is by no means a guarantee. If you're good at distinguishing between Chatot pitches, you can use the pattern listed in the reporter to check if you hit your seed before advancing all of the frames and checking at the end.

Oh, and welcome to Smogon :)

Do I need to compute the Initial PIDRNG Frame first before I use chatot cry? Or is it always set at frame 40?
You'll need to compute it first every time, as the initial frame changes with each seed.

Ugh... I'm trying to calibrate for White 2, but... it just isn't working. At all.

I first tried with the regular DS calibration. I was using Reshiarm at Dragonspiral Tower as a stationary legendary. I set the clock at :00 (synched with an external clock), and started white from the DS menu at :30. I waited for the star to begin mashing A, started the game without starting C-gear, mashed X as the game start, and as soon as I closed the menu I talked to Reshiram. I caught it with the master ball, and fed its stats into the IV calculator. And... nothing. No matches.

(I would check its nature by comparing it to http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Nature, and characteristic by comparing it to both http://s45.photobucket.com/user/home_rowed/media/kosei.jpg.html and http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Characteristic.)

I'm using Japanese White 2 on a Japanese 3DS XL. In RNGReporter, I'm selecting White 2, Japanese, then 3DS. I've also triple-checked the MAC address, so I'm sure it's not a typo there.

I've done some RNGing in my White version (in English on a DSi), so I've done this before and know what I'm doing... (All this was done in 9.96.5.)

I then came to this thread and found out about the Unova Link calibration. And when I tried it... I got wildly fluctuating results. I got a different Actual Seconds, VCount, and Timer0 pretty much every single time. I also did this in 9.96.6, from the link on this page of the thread. One time I tried putting in the exact same things in 9.96.5, and I got different results from 9.96.6. Also, I would input the minimum 7 arrows, and get 1 or 2 seeds. But if I inputted an 8th arrow, I'd get 0 seeds.

I just... I don't know what's going on and I just want to RNG >_<

Ugh... I'm trying to calibrate for White 2, but... it just isn't working. At all.

I first tried with the regular DS calibration. I was using Reshiarm at Dragonspiral Tower as a stationary legendary. I set the clock at :00 (synched with an external clock), and started white from the DS menu at :30. I waited for the star to begin mashing A, started the game without starting C-gear, mashed X as the game start, and as soon as I closed the menu I talked to Reshiram. I caught it with the master ball, and fed its stats into the IV calculator. And... nothing. No matches.

(I would check its nature by comparing it to http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Nature, and characteristic by comparing it to both http://s45.photobucket.com/user/home_rowed/media/kosei.jpg.html and http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Characteristic.)

I'm using Japanese White 2 on a Japanese 3DS XL. In RNGReporter, I'm selecting White 2, Japanese, then 3DS. I've also triple-checked the MAC address, so I'm sure it's not a typo there.

I've done some RNGing in my White version (in English on a DSi), so I've done this before and know what I'm doing... (All this was done in 9.96.5.)

I then came to this thread and found out about the Unova Link calibration. And when I tried it... I got wildly fluctuating results. I got a different Actual Seconds, VCount, and Timer0 pretty much every single time. I also did this in 9.96.6, from the link on this page of the thread. One time I tried putting in the exact same things in 9.96.5, and I got different results from 9.96.6. Also, I would input the minimum 7 arrows, and get 1 or 2 seeds. But if I inputted an 8th arrow, I'd get 0 seeds.

I just... I don't know what's going on and I just want to RNG >_<
Try starting always at the same point of time and see if you can get the same pattern twice.

Try starting always at the same point of time and see if you can get the same pattern twice.
Just did it (with the Unova Link rotating arrow thing).

The fourth time, got the same pattern as the first time. Going to try it a few more times and see if I can get some more repeats.

EDIT: Okay, after doing it 10 times, I got 1 pattern three times, 2 patterns two times, and 3 patterns one time.

I can see that this RNG is pretty volatile compared to earlier ones, but... I still don't know what to do. In the "profiles" they have a "timer0 range" so it's okay if that changes, but before I was getting different VCounts and stuff (whereas the profile only takes much), and that was when I was getting a seed at all...

Last edited:
Does the PPRNG have a save spinner test to find your timer0, or do you have to improvise in order to find what timer0 you hit for it? I'm tone-deaf, so the Chatot test isn't working very well for me.

Fishaman P

Mechanics Maniac!
I'm trying to get a flawless Shiny Darumaka in White 2. I'm good on the IV frames, PID frames, encounter slots, etc.
My problem is the sandstorm in the desert.
I tried the trick to clear it as explained in the first post, but the season didn't change. I can't Sweet Scent with the sandstorm out, not to mention the RNG advancement.

Is there another way to clear the sandstorm in White 2, or alternatively a sandstorm-free place to encounter Darumaka?

Agonist

That trick doesn't work in BW2 anymore. Unfortunately, White 2 is stuck with perma-sand, while Black 2 doesn't have any at all.

Fishaman P

Mechanics Maniac!
That trick doesn't work in BW2 anymore. Unfortunately, White 2 is stuck with perma-sand, while Black 2 doesn't have any at all.
Well, THANKS Game Freak! :mad:

Is there any info on dealing with the sand? For example, does it advance the PIDRNG at 60 frame/s?
I RNG abused a shiny flawless starter on this same White 2, just to give you an idea of my patience.

Agonist

Well, THANKS Game Freak! :mad:

Is there any info on dealing with the sand? For example, does it advance the PIDRNG at 60 frame/s?
I RNG abused a shiny flawless starter on this same White 2, just to give you an idea of my patience.
Roughly 60 fps.

Agonist

And for the actual encounter, I have no choice but walking around?
On that subject, turning in place advances the PIDRNG, but not the IVRNG, correct?
You can turn for the encounter. And yes, turning only advances the PIDRNG (by two frames each time you turn).

I think i remember reading somewhere that BW2 starters IVRNG start on frame 15. Anyone know if this is true or am I going crazy?

Just did it (with the Unova Link rotating arrow thing).

The fourth time, got the same pattern as the first time. Going to try it a few more times and see if I can get some more repeats.

EDIT: Okay, after doing it 10 times, I got 1 pattern three times, 2 patterns two times, and 3 patterns one time.

I can see that this RNG is pretty volatile compared to earlier ones, but... I still don't know what to do. In the "profiles" they have a "timer0 range" so it's okay if that changes, but before I was getting different VCounts and stuff (whereas the profile only takes much), and that was when I was getting a seed at all...
Quoting because new page...

I ran the patterns that I got into the Unova Link Calibrator (in 9.96.6), and still get wildly inconsistent results. (Because I only took 7 arrows for each, some of the patterns don't have just 1 possible seed, but even then there's no way to "choose" so that the results are consistent.) For example, one pattern has an "Actual Seconds" of 34, whereas the other pattern has an "Actual Seconds" of either 30 or 36. VCount, Timer0, and VFrame all varied a ton. (Actually, VFrame was 3 about half the time, but the other half it seems totally random.) The only thing that's consistent is GxStat, at 6.

Does anyone know what's going on with my calibration, and what I need to do to get it to work right?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 13)