A Guide to EV Training with Hordes

Can we just make a large note that Sweet Scent won't work in rain.
This is relevant as both routes 14 and 19 (The two prime routes for Atk EV's) are both simultaneously raining in my Kalos.

For the rest of you, this may affect any of your EV training schedules as I'm unsure as to what the rain mechanics are for the overworld at this time.

I know it's rather petty, but it's a large annoyance nonetheless. Plus, anybody encountering this issue now understands what's happening.

Can we just make a large note that Sweet Scent won't work in rain.
This is relevant as both routes 14 and 19 (The two prime routes for Atk EV's) are both simultaneously raining in my Kalos.

For the rest of you, this may affect any of your EV training schedules as I'm unsure as to what the rain mechanics are for the overworld at this time.

I know it's rather petty, but it's a large annoyance nonetheless. Plus, anybody encountering this issue now understands what's happening.
I discovered that too. I see so many people asking where to find rain to evolve Sliggoo in their games when I cannot avoid rain at all in mine. I eventually went to Victory Road and EV trained the old fashioned way to wait out the rain on the horde routes. Slapping around the Gurdurr and Druddigon was fairly effective. I also dabbled in Super Training.

If I'm killing the stuff with the higher level mons and the one I want to EV train has the power item equipped will it receive the 5 or 20 thanks to exp share

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
If I'm killing the stuff with the higher level mons and the one I want to EV train has the power item equipped will it receive the 5 or 20 thanks to exp share
Neither? It will either receive 25 or 50 depending on if you have Pokérus or not. 1 EV per Pokémon + 4 EVs per Pokémon from Power item multiplied by five Pokémon is 25.

If my first Pokemon in my party is holding the Power Item do all my party members get 50 EVs? Or does it have to hold the Power Item if I want the 50?
(I have Pokerus on the ones I'm EV training.)

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
If my first Pokemon in my party is holding the Power Item do all my party members get 50 EVs? Or does it have to hold the Power Item if I want the 50?
(I have Pokerus on the ones I'm EV training.)
Only the Pokemon holding the item received additional EVs.

Trevenant appeared to give +2 Attack from a quick test, which would make Route 20 a better Hp/Attack grind than Route 5.

Great chart, has helped me a lot.

For people using this method, I've found that Venasaur is probably the best pokemon to be the personal trainer for your younglings. He learns Petal Blizzard, a 90 BP all-attack, and Sweet Scent.

Higher leveled ones, you can do this by just going to the higher number routes as well. Not sure why you would want more exp from EVing as that's not the purpose.
Eh, the XP is nice. If you use level 25 Hordes in the later routes, your mon will be level 20 or so by the time you're done EVing him. Saves some time when you take him to the E4 or 3* Restaurant for his real XP training. And if you're one shotting them no matter what, why not save yourself some time later?

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Tried this. This is perfect. I love you.

The only problem is having to go through the hassle of getting all the power items :( but oh well.

Also the occasional random rain in route 19 is annoying but manageable. Is there anywhere with [Frequent] hordes that give 10 Spe EVs ?

So I don't know if anyone has realized this, but you can't train a start past 252 anymore, which is great because wasting 6 EVs was my biggest fear back when

So I don't know if anyone has realized this, but you can't train a start past 252 anymore, which is great because wasting 6 EVs was my biggest fear back when
Thank goodness, I was wandering what you would do in a situation with a 250 Satk/250 Speed Deino. I wouldn't want to invest my time just trying to get Small Bags of Satk and Speed (+1), just so I wouldn't go over the boundary lines.

So what your saying though is even if Deino received an additional 50 points after the 250, his EV would instantly stop at 252 instead of 255 then?

Thank goodness, I was wandering what you would do in a situation with a 250 Satk/250 Speed Deino. I wouldn't want to invest my time just trying to get Small Bags of Satk and Speed (+1), just so I wouldn't go over the boundary lines.

So what your saying though is even if Deino received an additional 50 points after the 250, his EV would instantly stop at 252 instead of 255 then?
Yup. I've done it plenty of times on my Pokés. 5 horde battles for 250 then I use a M or L bag and I only get +2. It is impossible to get 255 EVs in a stat now. So convenient.

So if I don't have Pokerus, I'm only yielding 1 EV per horde for each poke?

What would I yield with the Power Item (no Pokerus)

Holy!!! I tried this out last night without Pokerus and got 25 for each horde battle and maxed out a stat in just 11 battles

The only problem I saw was accuracy with Rock Slide missing on Wingulls :P

But with the introduction to Super Training, I can only see this working if you want 252/252 spreads

Super Training is a little more accurate for me if I want to have weird spreads that aren't maxed.. but i'm sure Horde EV is possible the same way, just gotta think harder with the calcs lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)