A potential discovery regarding Counter and Mirror Coat.

I was battling the other day on Shoddy when a very unusual thing happened. I run a Milotic with Mirror Coat and I was facing an opposing Starmie. For whatever unfathomable reason, the Starmie used Ice Beam as I used Mirror Coat. What happened next was truly perplexing. I froze solid, immediately thawed out, and proceeded to use Mirror Coat...but it failed! Was this an annoying Shoddy glitch or is this real?

I'm thinking it was a Shoddy glitch. it would have to be seen if it always fails in that situation. If it was random (success vs. fail), then it really wouldn't even be a glitch (wouldn't make any difference since you unfroze and got to use it), but if you always fail then... its a glitch that needs to be fixed.

But, it could be real too :)

hmm, yeah, thats weird. does anybody know know if it does that in the actual game too?
and on another note, on shoddy, i burned somebody twice with overheat. i checked the description and i couldnt find anything about a chance for burn on overheat, just the spec attack drop. has this happened to anyone else?

The wobbafet would have to be mirrorcoating until it was frozen right???

Well won't the user be getting wacked constantly with mirror coats? That fails.

I thought that all support moves don't follow immunties. i.e confuse ray on normal types/hypnosis on dark rypes, etc.

And since mirror coat is "STATUS" move like them shouldn't it follow the same rules? Or am i mistaken and MC is a Special Move?

I thought that all support moves don't follow immunties. i.e confuse ray on normal types/hypnosis on dark rypes, etc.

And since mirror coat is "STATUS" move like them shouldn't it follow the same rules? Or am i mistaken and MC is a Special Move?
iirc, mirror coat is a special type move. Since its Psychic, it shouldn't effect Weavile, who is dark.

Just because Mirror Coat doesn't have a base power or an accuracy doesn't mean it's a status move. It inflicts damage under certain conditions, making it an attack move (similar to Me First in a way). Weavile should be immune to Mirror Coat thus.

It would also be nice to give a try with Dunsparce, since the little land snake learns Ice Beam AND has Serene Grace to boost the freeze chance to 20%.

Maybe double battle the pachi twins south of floaroma town with 5 sash beaming dunsparcse and one wobbafeut. lol

Someone get Weavile VS Milotic now, lol

And hack Weavile so its moveset is Ice Beam/Ice Beam/Ice Beam/ Ice Beam =3

^^lol, that would be fun to come up against competitively. it would get walled rather easily, though. I would make a video of it if that ever happened

No but that won't work against Weavile. Since it won't affect it at all, you can't tell whether it fails or not. IIRC using counter fails against Gengar, rather than coming up with a "it doesn't affect" trigger.

Try using it on something like Chansey vs Wobbuffet. Since Chansey can get Serene grace it will trigger more often and neither of them will be damaging the other one a lot.

blissey vs. wobbufet is the best bet then, as blissey can softboiled any damage that occured from the mirror coat, and she has enough hp to not die in one hit to mirror coat.

What should happen according to my cakkalations with Weavile v. Wobbuffet:

Weavile used Ice Beam!
Wobbuffet lost x% of its health!
Wobbuffet used Mirror Coat!
It doesn't affect Weavile...
(several turns later)

Weavile used Ice Beam!
Wobbuffet lost x% of its health!
Wobbuffet is frozen solid!
Wobbuffet thawed out!
Wobbuffet used Mirror Coat!
But it failed!

That SHOULD happen. It could be tested more easily, however, with Wobby and Bliss. I'd test it myself, but I unfortunately no longer have access to an Ice Beam TM or a Pokemon that knows Ice Beam and could deal with Wobbuffet Mirror Coat. I do, however, still have my Blizzard TM.

wait...why not powder snow? the lower amount of damage is better. have like a o sp. attack iv adamant swinub use powder snow against a milotic and have the milotic hit back. maybe the swinub would die, though. I think bliss vs. wobby is the best way to go still.

Shouldn't this be labeled as more of a glitch/inexplicable circumstance than a discovery? I mean theres not really any purpose to it other than getting screwed by random freezes?

It's a discovery because it was previously not discovered (at least not documented). Whether it is real or of any consequence is yet to be determined (and may be more clear in future gens with the potential advent of moves with higher freezing probability available to Serene Grace Pokemon).

It isn't really, because there aren't that many pokemon that can use mirror coat effectively, and among the few of them that do, the most noteworthy have a resistance to ice beam anyway (suicune, milotic, even magnezone) and high special defence, so the likelihood of someone using icebeam repeatedly against them is low.

Admittedly though, if you did have, say, an already frozen magnezone with mirror coat facing someone with flamethrower, and you did use mirror coat while frozen, which in turn failed, then it would have some impact.

You can use Blissey vs Tentacruel, because compairing to the other Mirror Coaters, it's the one with probably more Sp. Def.

... You can use a level 5 poke with extremely low special attack and high hp (bliss) against a level 100 wobbufet which is trained in special defense Ivs, maybe?
Also, powder snow should work instead of ice beam, and this should also be tried with ice punch/counter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)