Pokémon Aegislash

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could opt to go Brave but I think the idea for Mixed 3-attacks is to mostly surprise physical walls on the switch-in with a hard hitting Shadow Ball, which is why Quiet is favored.

The mixed 3 attacks set usually has 2 physical moves (Shadow Sneak, Sacred Sword are the most common I think) anyway, so I think you can play around with the EV adjustments and just shift more EVs into SpA to make up for the nature.

You could opt to go Brave but I think the idea for Mixed 3-attacks is to mostly surprise physical walls on the switch-in with a hard hitting Shadow Ball, which is why Quiet is favored.

The mixed 3 attacks set usually has 2 physical moves (Shadow Sneak, Sacred Sword are the most common I think) anyway, so I think you can play around with the EV adjustments and just shift more EVs into SpA to make up for the nature.
Yeah I hope this brave nature is something i dunno what can i say lol

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 240 SDef / 252 HP / 16 Def
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Gyro Ball
- Shadow Ball
- King's Shield
- Toxic

This is what Aegislash runs in Ubers, maybe it will help around here. It might want the moves and EVs changed around, but Toxic and KS stay.

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Shadow Ball
- King's Shield
- Toxic

This is what Aegislash runs in Ubers, maybe it will help around here. It might want the moves and EVs changed around, but Toxic and KS stay.
In OU, this set seems pretty much outclassed by all the regular Aegislash sets. Why bother Toxicing stuff when you can hit hard from the start?

Great in Ubers, I'm sure, but I don't see it being useful over his other sets in OU.

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Shadow Ball
- King's Shield
- Toxic

His speed stat would be 112. It's too fast to run Gyro Ball in OU. You'd need the opponent to have 359 speed to be able to beat out Iron Head in terms of damage output. 359 speed is 252 EVs, speed-neutral base 130. If you were to run a stall aegi in OU, Iron Head would be the superior steel STAB move majority of the time.

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Shadow Ball
- King's Shield
- Toxic

Toxic stall is just not a great idea for a pokemon with no recovery move, especially one who has godly offensive stats and the best offensive type. Aegislash is a bulky attacker or wallbreaker in OU. He can't be a great toxic staller.

Aegislash @Chesto berry /Life Orb Moveset2@ Leftovers/Weakness policy
Obviously Stance change
Nature: Moveset 1:Quiet/Brave V2:Naive/jolly/Timid Moveset 2:Careful/Bold/Adamant/Modest
Moveset 1 EVs: 252hp / 116Atk / 24def /116SpDef v2: 160hp /128Atk /128Sp.Atk /96Spe
Moveset 2 EVs: 252Hp / 252SpDef / 4atk

Moveset 1:
kings Shield / v2 Automotize
Sacred Sword / Focus Blast
Shadow ball / Shadow Claw
Rest / v2 Kings Shield / Substitute

Moveset 2:
Substitute
Shadow Claw / Shadow Ball
Iron Head /Sacred Sword
Kings Shield

Simple bulky ChestoRest: Goal Deal as much damage as possible then rest off damage if possible.
Version 2 Aegislash: i used this set for a little bit since Aegislash is fairly new still i figured i try every possible set that can have potential. It can be improved But i have not analyzed it enough to say what is possible but the above can be used for now. Its not the best but can work with the correct pokemon like pokemon immune to Ground. The speed EVs let it outspeed base 130plus after one boost Also Allowing it to setup Substitute on incoming status users. without Evs Aegislash can dent many things that are not invested in either defence so some investment for more fire power along with life orb besides the 150base Atk/Sp.atk is pretty good. weakness policy can also be used but i have a weakness policy set already posted in earlier posts. Moveset 2 is unorthodox but can be used since Aegislash has the potential to deal heavy damage and/or force switches nobody likes a pokemon with sky high at/sp atk behind subs Hope you guys will enjoy using these sets and maybe make them better. :)

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Shadow Ball
- King's Shield
- Toxic

With a stall set, a reliable way to deal with steels is absolutely necessary. Even though this set relies very heavily on T spikes support, I think its the best for outmaneuvering your opponent before you even begin the fight.

Aegislash @ leftovers
Impish nature, 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
-Kings Shield
-Substitute
-Shadow Sneak/toxic
-Sacred Sword

Since pretty much everybody assumes your goal is to buff up and sweep, its not hard to get a sub up. You let Tspikes kill the first poke, and they'll usually send in a ground type to take out Slash while they can. Just alternate between King's shield and substitute while healing up with leftovers and you can easily take the 5 hits poison needs and finish off with shadow sneak. If they figure out its a stall set, they'll probably send in a steel type to be taken down by sacred sword. Since this guy naturally blocks rapid spin, his biggest threat is flying/levitating defoggers. Most can be hurt pretty hard by shadow sneak, but it does show that no stall set is perfect.

I think at this point it's clear that the mixed set is entirely superior to the SD set. Shadow Ball is so incredibly difficult to switch into now, just about 2HKOing many of the common switchins to the SD set, and doing massive damage to anything that isn't immune. The SD set is quite easy to stop, relying on a 40 BP priority move as its main attacking device, and it has none of the immediate power and impact of max SpA Shadow Ball. Ghost is an incredible attacking type, and there's often no downside to just clicking Shadow Ball and watching whatever takes the hit drop by 50%.

I've been using this lately:

Aegislash @ Leftovers/Spooky Plate
Quiet 252 HP/ 12 Atk/ 244 SpA
Sacred Sword
Shadow Ball
Hidden Power Ice
King's Shield

The 12 Attack evs allow me to KO 4 HP Tyranitar 100% of the time:

12 Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 344-408 (100.5 - 119.2%)
8 Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 340-404 (99.4 - 118.1%)

and the rest is for bulk and to hit harder off of the special side. Essentially it's used to switch into a resisted move and then hit back and switch, however King's Shield allows me the option of staying in and possibly scouting a move before hand. It unfortunately comes at the cost of Shadow Sneak, but, without a LO on this set, Shadow Sneak doesn't hit for very much at all.

Last edited:
So, I might have found something cool.

Aegislash @ Leftovers / Spooky Plate
252 Sp Attack / 88 Hp / 168 Speed
Modest nature

Automize
King's Shield
Shadow Ball
Flash Cannon

Basically, thanks to Aegislash's stats, ability, and typing, a tank / cleaner set is pretty decent. Early on, you can use Aegislash to come in on resisted attacks and hit back with Shadow Ball or Flash Cannon, or mess with people with King's Shield, since seeing as people usually don't run King's Shield on Shadow Ball sets, you can often surprise those expecting the mixed set. Late in the game, you can use Automize and clean up with your boosted speed.

Shadow Ball + Flash Cannon is surprisingly good neutral coverage, with few things resisting the two attacks (Bisharp, Crawdaunt, Sharpedo... Bibarel). EVs are yanked from the standard Automize cleaner, but with HP investment since you aren't running physical attacks with this.

I've been using this lately:

Aegislash @ Leftovers/Spooky Plate
Quiet 252 HP/ 12 Atk/ 244 SpA
Sacred Sword
Shadow Ball
Hidden Power Ice
King's Shield

The 12 Attack evs allow me to KO 4 HP Tyranitar 100% of the time:

12 Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 344-408 (100.5 - 119.2%)
8 Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 340-404 (99.4 - 118.1%)

after stealth rocks or a layer of spikes its an ohko and with 0 investment its the same result:
0 Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 340-404 (99.4 - 118.1%)

I realize that. However, in the event that I do not have hazards up on my opponent's field, this is a nice cushion to fall back on. It's nice to know that I will always take down the Scarfed variants, and it only asks for a negligible drop in my SpA.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The Aegis set I run is a lot more offensive than other regular variants, and it's the set that Aegilash utilizes the most imo. Aegislash should be a hit-and-run not a hit-stay-in-and-use-king's-shield Pokemon.

Aegislash @ Life Orb
Rash
252 SpA / 108 Speed / 148 HP
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Sneak

it works pretty much like the regular mixed set but with an added niche in that it outspeeds uninvestment Skarmory and doing lots of damage with Shadow Ball, and I think it has a pretty high chance of OHKOing after SR. It also outspeeds Scizor, Tyranitar (and OHKOs it with Sacred Sword), opposing Aegislash, and other random shit in the speed tier.

Of course, if you go with this set you lose King's Shield aka you lose protection against pursuit trappers. And you can also lose in an Aegis vs. Aegis situation if the opposing Aegislash used KS while you SS. And Scizor can easily revenge-kill and pursuit trap.

Last edited by a moderator:

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
I have a question. Does Taunt prevent Aegislash from reverting to Shield Forme? I've seen an Aegislash revert while asleep, so the Stance Change seems to be independent of the move.

What's the best EV spread for a mixed Aegislash? I've been running this:

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Quiet
236 HP / 172 Atk / 100 SpA

King's Shield
Shadow Sneak
Sacred Sword
Shadow Ball

I run 236 HP EVs for the Lefties number (320 HP), and to free up a few EVs. I need to find a good balance between physical and special attacking power. I'd like to run 252 SpA for powerful Shadow Balls, but then I risk Shadow Sneak losing too much power. It needs a decent amount of investment for those Shadow Ball > Sneak one-two punch KOes, and I don't want to miss any KOes with Sacred Sword.

Is there a standard spread for this?

The best spread for mixed aegislash is 252 att / 252 spa / 4 hp. No kings shield w/ shadow ball, shadow sneak, iron head, and sacred sword. Your set is just called kings shield and has a spread of 252 hp / 252 spa / 4 def

ok, here's what I've been running with....ok, it probably needs help. I mean, it's been getting good results, but I get the sense it could be better.

Aegislash@Air Baloon
Brave, 252 HP, 252 Att, 6 Sp. Att
IVs: 0 speed

King's Shield
Sacred Sword
Iron Head
Shadow Ball

I will admit that I never really liked Shadow Sneak on this thing, due to the low power, but I accept the fact I'm probably wrong about that. Just.....be honest about it.

November Blue

is a Contributor Alumnus
ok, here's what I've been running with....ok, it probably needs help. I mean, it's been getting good results, but I get the sense it could be better.

Aegislash@Air Baloon
Brave, 252 HP, 252 Att, 6 Sp. Att
IVs: 0 speed

King's Shield
Sacred Sword
Iron Head
Shadow Ball

I will admit that I never really liked Shadow Sneak on this thing, due to the low power, but I accept the fact I'm probably wrong about that. Just.....be honest about it.
I don't think you need that much Attack investment. I'll admit that I've never tried Iron Head before (what is it useful for? Fairies?) but Aegislash's Ghost STAB has such good neutral coverage that it's usually the better option. I guess Iron Head is good for Florges, but Togekiss and Sylveon carry Flamethrower and Shadow Ball, respectively.

I'm currently using this:

Quiet (+SpA, - Spe)
236 HP / 20 Atk / 252 SpA

King's Shield
Sacred Sword
Shadow Sneak
Shadow Ball

If you're going to go mixed, powerful Shadow Ball will be your main weapon. Most Earthquake users are more susceptible to Shadow Ball than Iron Head, so it complements the Air Balloon well. If you're not using Leftovers, the 236 HP isn't as important so maybe take the EVs out of SpA instead. As someone posted above, 12 Atk EVs secure the OHKO on Tyranitar (with Sacred Sword), so Iron Head will still deal a good amount of damage to Fairy-types.

Disliking Shadow Sneak is understandable, but I find it's often good to have the priority for times when you need some, and it can help finish off weakened foes that switch into Shadow Ball.

Guys I'm going to test a Mixed Sweeper Aegislash. It's:
Brave, HP 252 - Atk 192 - SpAtk 64
@ Air Balloon
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword

I'm honest I haven't been playing very much with this Poké in his Mixed set, so I really want to know what you guys think about it and what you suggest.
Thanks for the attention

I have a question. Does Taunt prevent Aegislash from reverting to Shield Forme? I've seen an Aegislash revert while asleep, so the Stance Change seems to be independent of the move.

What's the best EV spread for a mixed Aegislash? I've been running this:

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Quiet
236 HP / 172 Atk / 100 SpA

King's Shield
Shadow Sneak
Sacred Sword
Shadow Ball

I run 236 HP EVs for the Lefties number (320 HP), and to free up a few EVs. I need to find a good balance between physical and special attacking power. I'd like to run 252 SpA for powerful Shadow Balls, but then I risk Shadow Sneak losing too much power. It needs a decent amount of investment for those Shadow Ball > Sneak one-two punch KOes, and I don't want to miss any KOes with Sacred Sword.

Is there a standard spread for this?
320 is not a Leftovers number. 321 is. It's "[number divisible by 16]+1" for Leftovers numbers.
I've been running 112 HP / 148 Atk / 240 SpA / 4 SpD on my in-game (IV bred) Aegislash. I saw that spread earlier in this thread and don't remember what the Attack EV's are for, but it gives Sacred Sword and Shadow Sneak the bite it needs most of the time. It also hits a Leftovers number (289), and the 4 SpD are so Downloaders get an Attack boost, which works for both lvl 100 and for lvl 50 battles, i.e. Battle Spot and friends.

In order for Stance Change to take effect, Aegislash's user only needs to be able to select the move that will change its form. Regardless of whether Aegis actually executes the move (failing to move due to sleep, full para, self hit in confusion, infatuated, etc.), the forme will change when Aegis would move in the turn order. Taunt will block the selection of King's Shield and thus trap Aegislash in Blade Forme since only damaging moves can be selected while taunted.

November Blue

is a Contributor Alumnus
Taunt will block the selection of King's Shield and thus trap Aegislash in Blade Forme since only damaging moves can be selected while taunted.
... right. Of course, thanks. Not sure what I was thinking there...

320 is not a Leftovers number. 321 is. It's "[number divisible by 16]+1" for Leftovers numbers.
Wait, +1? Are you sure that you haven't confused Lefties with a Life Orb or Stealth Rock number? If Leftovers restore 1/16 of the max HP, shouldn't the HP be perfectly divisible?

Wait, +1? Are you sure that you haven't confused Lefties with a Life Orb or Stealth Rock number? If Leftovers restore 1/16 of the max HP, shouldn't the HP be perfectly divisible?
I'm 100% positive (http://www.smogon.com/dp/items/leftovers). It's a very common mistake. The idea is that only going one point above the divisible number puts you into the next "bracket" as far as how much back you get per turn from Leftovers, at the least cost to EV-usage. Conveniently, it also always makes your HP odd, which can be helpful to a lot of things that don't like residual damage.

As quoted from that link, "When using Leftovers, it is often advised to make your HP divisible by 16, +1. This will allow for a "magic" Leftovers number (a number divisible by 16), while the +1 allows essentially for a "free" hit point due to the floor function in the damage formula."

So while that line does imply that the magic number is the divisible by 16, the number your actually aiming for for optimal, bonus recovery is the one right after it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)