Buzzwole @ leftovers
Ability: soundproof
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly nature
- leech life
- superpower
- drain punch
- ice punch

This is the best Noivern lure. Until you reveal soundproof, bluff triage by not using draining moves against faster opponents. Nobody will see this coming.

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
Speaking of which, why was Shedinja banned? It's not like people don't carry stealth rock.
shedinja would force the meta to focus around it heavily, the entire meta would be shed vs shed and teammates would be designed mostly with shedinja on their minds, offensive mons would need to rely on shit like toxic just to not get hardwalled by it. choice mons would be almost impossible to run since shedinja would force choice mons into constant 50/50's and force them to lock themselves into toxic or wrap-clones. stealth rock sounds like a good idea, until you remember defog, spin, and bouncers all exist, and are not restrictive in the least.

meanwhile on the other spectrum, the only viable offensive shed eliminator in AAA would be toxic/wrap-users and mold breakers. shedinja would literally single handedly 6-0 offensive teams effortlessly. and considering unlike BH, AAA is much more restrictive on moves, theres far too few countermeasures for offensive pokemon to run, while shedinja has easy access to supporting teammates. as you cant just run stealth rock on whatever you want like in bh. It's much more predictable and would be placing a HUGE force-stop in the meta we dont need.

like, it might not be overpowered, but it would make AAA REALLY ugly and centralizing as hell. and force itself into a "Red light, Green light" meta where shedinja would completely block momentum, forcing the opponent to switch, only to eventually lose momentum again because the opponent sent their shedinja in. etc.

Speaking of which, why was Shedinja banned? It's not like people don't carry stealth rock.
I have no idea why Shedinja was banned, and also congrats!
Btw who would you say is the best Stealth rock setter? I use Mega-
Steelix but it always dies to an infernape or something like that

Shedinja was banned because its Sturdy set can be abnormally difficult to take down. Mold Breaker/Status/Weather is required to take it down.

As for a Rocker, Skarmory is one of the best, but it can also be a defogger (though Fini can defog too). Uxie is quite fun to work with in my opinion.

According to the viability rankings, another good one is Mamoswine. Its good offensive typing lets it force a lot of switches and check some of the common magic bouncers.

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Adding to the comments above, Azelf with Mold Breaker as suicide lead is really good as well, especially if you're using a Hyper Offense team. I will post it in any case:

Azelf @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Zen Headbutt

Aeriliate Noivern isn't op?Seriously this thing can be almost impossible to switch

252+ SpA Choice Specs Aerilate Noivern Boomburst vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Skarmory: 244-288 (73.2 - 86.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Aerilate Noivern Boomburst vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 207-244 (68.3 - 80.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge
recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Aerilate Noivern Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Rotom-Wash on a critical hit: 260-306 (85.5 - 100.6%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
I know there a lot thing that can sponge this, but have some coverage on draco meteor, focus blast and fire blast and almost everything can't safely switch but Chansey doesn't care.

Ok yeah but why is the Rotom-W calc on a critical hit when none of the others are

Also there is no reason to factor crits into any calcs unless it’s got scope lens, super luck, frost breath, etc.

Aeriliate Noivern isn't op?Seriously this thing can be almost impossible to switch

252+ SpA Choice Specs Aerilate Noivern Boomburst vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Skarmory: 244-288 (73.2 - 86.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Aerilate Noivern Boomburst vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 207-244 (68.3 - 80.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge
recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Aerilate Noivern Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Rotom-Wash on a critical hit: 260-306 (85.5 - 100.6%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
I know there a lot thing that can sponge this, but have some coverage on draco meteor, focus blast and fire blast and almost everything can't safely switch but Chansey doesn't care.
I didn't initially think that I was going to respond to this, but as several others have, I thought I would respond to it myself in order to try to clear up some of the confusion. Yes, Aerilate Noivern is definitely something that everyone should keep in mind when building a team, but it isn't necessarily overpowered. As others have mentioned, yes, your calculations are off for a number of reasons. First off, modest Noivern is not a thing really, and you should also not be calculating for crits unless you are doing it out of curiosity or a crit build. This is important, sure, but more importantly, you didn't even calc it for the relevant special defense threats in this metagame. Skarmory and Toxapex are commonly seen physical walls, not special ones. This in itself pretty much invalidates your first calc, and brings into question the second. As far as Rotom, it isn't even commonly seen in AAA, being currently ranked B- on the VR. Also, Noivern does not carry Draco Meteor or Focus Blast, and it does not get access to Fire Blast; it only has access to Flamethrower. The common set for Aerilate Noivern is this.

Noivern @ Choice Specs
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Flamethrower
- U-turn
- Switcheroo

Now, fixing these calcs for common threats, like RegenVest Magearna, this is one calc you will be looking at:
252 SpA Choice Specs Aerilate Noivern Boomburst vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Magearna: 73-87 (20.1 - 23.9%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
0 SpA Magearna Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Noivern: 392-464 (126 - 149.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Now, of course, Noivern does get fire coverage, so lets explore that:

252 SpA Choice Specs Noivern Flamethrower vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Magearna: 106-126 (29.2 - 34.7%) -- 6.1% chance to 3HKO

That is a considerably better in terms of damage; however, it is still not enough to break Magearna even in two hits, allowing it to switch in safely to Noivern, no matter the move it is using.

Meloetta is another decently common threat that we can look at as it too runs RegenVest:
252 SpA Choice Specs Aerilate Noivern Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Meloetta: 135-160 (33.4 - 39.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
4 SpA Meloetta Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Noivern: 172-204 (55.3 - 65.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Now, I am aware that Focus Blast is generally better coverage for Meloetta over Dazzling Gleam, so I will include this calc as well:

4 SpA Meloetta Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Noivern: 145-172 (46.6 - 55.3%) -- 70.3% chance to 2HKO

(Note: Hyper Voice can be traded out for Psychic here as both are neutral against Noivern and get Stab from Meloetta, but I chose Hyper Voice as Meloetta can run Psyshock too).

RegenVest is common in AAA and can easily check Noivern, but it isn't always necessary. Should you be interested, there are other Pokemon that can tank it without RegenVest:
252 SpA Choice Specs Aerilate Noivern Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Zapdos: 144-170 (37.5 - 44.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Zapdos with Delta Stream is a very good defensive Pokemon as it ends up with no Weaknesses, and it can switch in, tank a Boomburst, and Volt Switch out into an offensive threat.

As for other pokemon, must I post calcs for the disgusting thing that is Chansey?

Also, Rock type Pokemon resist both of the moves that Noivern carries. They would also be a decent place to go for Noivern Checks, albeit, not the best checks for other pokemon too.

Because your post focused on defensive checks, I formatted my post so that I addressed the defensive side first. Noivern can be revenge killed too.
252 Atk Life Orb Refrigerate Weavile Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Noivern: 468-551 (150.4 - 177.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Noivern: 696-824 (223.7 - 264.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Pixilate Tapu Koko Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Noivern: 440-522 (141.4 - 167.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

And this is just the beginning of the offensive checks too. You can still explore the world of scarves, -ate priority, scarf -ate's... you name it, this is just three commonly seen offensive pokemon.

One last thought I would like to leave you with: feel free to use the resources we have here for AAA. The Viability Rankings are a great place to start as you will get an idea of where the metagame is at. You can also talk to people in the Other Metas room. I frequently hang out there, and would be willing to help you out individually should you be interested.

Now, on a completely different note, here is a set that I have been having considerable fun using.

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Dancer
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Earth Power

I will completely admit, I designed this set for the Other Meta Achievement, Dancer (more details can be found here). But as I was playing with this set, I realized that it actually does have use in this meta. Without Dancer, it is still a regular Mega Diancie with its wonderful 160/160/110 offenses, which isn't something to scoff at. With these mixed offenses, Diancie is a good candidate to steal both Dragon Dance and Quiver Dance as either will boost Diancie's Speed and at least one of its attacking moves while also being generally able to kill the threats that make the mistake of using these set up moves as Diamond Storm hits Volcarona for 4x damage, and Moonblast is SE against all of the Dragons that run Dragon Dance (and it is SE against Mega Tyranitar too for the off chance you see that, but you need to beware the Sand of Mega for that). Even better is the fact that Diancie is pretty bulky pre-mega in case your opponent decides to attack rather than set up, in which case you mega in the next turn and attack your opponent.

252 Atk Salamence Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Diancie: 158-188 (65.5 - 78%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Diancie-Mega Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Salamence: 438-516 (132.3 - 155.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Volcarona Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Diancie: 132-156 (54.7 - 64.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 Atk Diancie-Mega Diamond Storm vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 924-1092 (297.1 - 351.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Here are two different replays I got testing this set out. Albeit, both replays are against Volcaronas as that is the safest pokemon that Diancie can check with this set (also the highest ranked in the VR), but other things that this can check are still possible.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7almostanyability-711928101
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7almostanyability-711984191

Let me know any comments that you may have!

(also, my apologies for the double post, but they are different posts, so I wanted to separate them out)

Ok yeah but why was megagross unbanned

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Download
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Agility / Thunder Punch
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch
- Zen Headbutt

If your opponent is unlucky enough to have literally any special wall on their team they ded

Offensive Calcs
+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Thunder Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 216-256 (64.8 - 76.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Iron Head vs. 244 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 402-474 (57.2 - 67.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock (Jolly still gets the 2HKO without SR up)

+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Zen Headbutt vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 294-348 (97 - 114.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Zygarde: 480-568 (114.2 - 135.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Shuckle: 236-278 (96.7 - 113.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Zen Headbutt vs. 248 HP / 240+ Def Zapdos: 246-289 (64.2 - 75.4%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (Delta Stream)

Defensive Calcs
252 Atk Weavile Knock Off vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Metagross-Mega: 140-168 (46.5 - 55.8%) -- 70.7% chance to 2HKO (Doesn’t take it very well so a focus sash Refrigerate Weave is an alright check on a free switch in with Fake Out, Knock off, Kock off)

252+ Atk Light Ball Galvanize Pikachu Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Metagross-Mega: 141-166 (46.8 - 55.1%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock (Idk what people use for Galvanize E-Speeds so I figured Pika was all right)

252 SpA Noivern Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Metagross-Mega: 148-176 (49.1 - 58.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock (Ice punch, Iron Head, and Zen all OHKO)

And before everyone goes “REEEE MEGAGROSS RUNS JOLLY NOT ADAMENT REEEE”
I prefer Adament on the Agility set cause it still out speeds anything that matters except a handful of scarfs
But on the non Agility set yeah use Jolly

Ok yeah but why was megagross unbanned

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Download
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Agility / Thunder Punch
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch
- Zen Headbutt

If your opponent is unlucky enough to have literally any special wall on their team they ded

Offensive Calcs
+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Thunder Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 216-256 (64.8 - 76.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Iron Head vs. 244 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 402-474 (57.2 - 67.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock (Jolly still gets the 2HKO without SR up)

+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Zen Headbutt vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 294-348 (97 - 114.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Zygarde: 480-568 (114.2 - 135.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Shuckle: 236-278 (96.7 - 113.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Zen Headbutt vs. 248 HP / 240+ Def Zapdos: 246-289 (64.2 - 75.4%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (Delta Stream)

Defensive Calcs
252 Atk Weavile Knock Off vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Metagross-Mega: 140-168 (46.5 - 55.8%) -- 70.7% chance to 2HKO (Doesn’t take it very well so a focus sash Refrigerate Weave is an alright check on a free switch in with Fake Out, Knock off, Kock off)

252+ Atk Light Ball Galvanize Pikachu Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Metagross-Mega: 141-166 (46.8 - 55.1%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock (Idk what people use for Galvanize E-Speeds so I figured Pika was all right)

252 SpA Noivern Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Metagross-Mega: 148-176 (49.1 - 58.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock (Ice punch, Iron Head, and Zen all OHKO)

And before everyone goes “REEEE MEGAGROSS RUNS JOLLY NOT ADAMENT REEEE”
I prefer Adament on the Agility set cause it still out speeds anything that matters except a handful of scarfs
But on the non Agility set yeah use Jolly
Before we get started, how are you getting the +1? Are you assuming a Download boost, in which case Metagross only gets it once as soon as it megas, and considering the defensive core you are working with, it isn't likely Metagross will stay in all the time. If not Download, then are you assuming that it is able to set up Hone Claws each time it comes in? These can be pretty lofty assumptions, calling into question every offensive calc in the list (though Adamant is fine with Agility on the set).

So I can't speak for the council and why they decided to allow this, but I can say from my own experience that I haven't seen too much of it, which, to my mind, makes it not a meta-defining Pokemon, allowing it to fit in this OU based metagame.

On the VR, it is only ranked B. It has 4 listed Pre-Mega abilities, Psychic Surge, Defiant, Download, and Magnet Pull. None of these roles seem overly overwhelming (albeit, Magnet Pull could serve as a decent check to Magearna, who is a dominant threat in this metagame). That might be in part because the only way to use another ability with Metagross is pre-mega, and its pre-mega form isn't overwhelming, being only UU in the usage rankings. This, in my mind, takes most megas down a peg in general as they are locked into a post-mega ability. Now, this isn't to say that Tough Claws isn't good. Quite the opposite actually as it is just shy of an Adaptability boost (For those who don't know, Stab already is 1.5, so Adaptability bringing Stab up to 2 is only adding a multiplier of 1.33). However, we can see that there are pokemon that require 2 hits to be ko'd, not to mention the fact that the set you provided is hardwalled by Volt Absorb Skarmory.

Second, Metagross has only one (real) way to boost its attack in Hone Claws, a far from ideal option (yes, yes, Meteor Mash can, but that is only a 20% chance. Far from reliable). If Metagross had a way to boost its attack like Mega Lucario does, then I don't doubt that it wouldn't be allowed here. But because it doesn't, we have to rely on its natural 145 base attack with Tough Claws and its subpar movepool to handle everything. Its highest base power stab is at 90 in Meteor Mash, with Zen Headbutt at 80. Not to mention the fact that they are both 90% in accuracy (okay, so maybe Hone Claws isn't as bad as I said considering that detail).

In the end, no one has really brought this Pokemon to a spotlight which shows that it is overpowered. Right now, it just looks like a decent pokemon (that I may start to try out), but not something that is broken by any means. It needs a +1 in order to 2hko the common defensive threats you have included here. Now, if you wish to prove that it is broken, by all means, find a set that demonstrates that Metagross is unhealthy for the metagame and can't be balanced by other pokemon. As of right now though, I believe that Magearna and Zygarde are far bigger issues, both deserving suspect tests (especially Zygarde).

It also loses to RegenVest Alolan Muk when it doesn't have earthquake. It can't get the download boost if the Muk has some physical defense EVs.

Hey folks, I'm new to the thread, so please forgive me if this has been discussed already, but how do people get around Poison Heal Tapu Fini? I feel like regardless of what team I make, that mon is the bane of it.

Hey folks, I'm new to the thread, so please forgive me if this has been discussed already, but how do people get around Poison Heal Tapu Fini? I feel like regardless of what team I make, that mon is the bane of it.
Most Tapu Finis don't know haze, so you can try to set up on them. These are two of the common answers.

Manaphy @ waterium Z
Ability: motor drive
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid nature
- tail glow
- surf
- ice beam
- energy ball

Xurkitree @ electrium Z
Ability: adaptability
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid nature
- tail glow
- thunderbolt
- energy ball
- hidden power [ice]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)