Animal Cruelty/Dogfighting

Animal torture is an awful thing, and I believe that anyone who engages in such activities has something twisted inside.

However, I find the other extreme unacceptable as well. It has been presented in this thread that all living things are equally valuable. Someone who places the same value on a human life as they would a housefly is bang out of court. At some point, one has to evaluate the "worth" (for lack of a better word) of a life. Certainly a border collie has a higher intrinsic value than a mosquito... and the orangutan a higher value than the dog? Under Big Bayou's position, one shouldn't spray their homes to combat cockroaches, termites, or other pests. It is simply an impracticable and unreasonable way of looking at things.

A certain pragmatism is required.

I realize I'm posting a bit much in a relatively short period of time, but I love that this topic is happening and I just want to respond to two things. Then I'm done, I promise.

However, I find the other extreme unacceptable as well. It has been presented in this thread that all living things are equally valuable. Someone who places the same value on a human life as they would a housefly is bang out of court. At some point, one has to evaluate the "worth" (for lack of a better word) of a life. Certainly a border collie has a higher intrinsic value than a mosquito... and the orangutan a higher value than the dog?

Human > Orangutan > Collie > Mosquito ?

How interesting that the "worth" of a life of a creature is directly correlated to its evolutionary closeness to humans. The less we are able to associate ourselves with something and the less we understand about its life and existence, the easier it is to ascribe to it a lesser value. It's only lesser in our eyes anyway, and we are not the sole custodians of life on Earth. I'll say it again: life on this planet is too magnificently deep and diverse to be successfully interpreted in human terms.

Under Big Bayou's position, one shouldn't spray their homes to combat cockroaches, termites, or other pests. It is simply an impracticable and unreasonable way of looking at things.
On the contrary, I find spraying for pests to be impracticable. Granted I've never had to deal with a mass termite infestation or something horrible like that, but nonetheless...you can keep like 99% of household pets at bay by letting your house centipedes live.

Seriously.

They're native to the Mediterranean, meaning that many pests elsewhere have evolved less adequate means of defense against them. Being predators, their numbers are closely tied with the numbers of their prey, so both are kept in check. Harmless to humans. They eat ants, cockroach larvae, termites, spiders, silverfish, pretty much everything. And best of all, they don't like to really show themselves all that often.

Unfortunately, bug traps and Raid spray kills them too...which is why I see no reason to use that kind of stuff. Haven't had pest problems yet.

This is probably a bit nitpicky, but I do not see the relevance in your (as in Big Bayou) saying 'as a pacifist' to necessitate not participating in the harm of some creatures at some level. I am a pacifist when it comes to humans, but not when it comes to eating animals! As a vegetarian, of course, would be valid and relevant though.

One thing I've never understood about Vegans: I always hear them say "every life counts!", yet they eat plants and plant products witout problems. I thought plants are living beings as well?

Not to stray from the topic, but...

Try not to generalize all vegans - I'm one myself and you won't ever hear me saying "every life counts". There are indeed people that take veganism to an extreme and don't eat milk or eggs, and there's also hypocrites that don't eat meat but do eat fish. Can't see the logic in either...I just don't eat meat or fish, period.

Hip said:
BB, I was under the impression that it was utterly impossible to live without B12 from cud chewing animals.. That Vegans generally get injections of it that come from animals.

Or do you get it from milk or something and maybe only vegans have that problem? I dunno..

Have a nice day.

Either B12 is something you don't need per se or it's in other food such as milk (I personally don't know but Big Bayou seems to have given the answer), but I've been a strict vegan for 8 years by now and as you know I am still alive, and I never had an injection of such kind.

Now, for on-topic:

Aeolus said:
Animal torture is an awful thing, and I believe that anyone who engages in such activities has something twisted inside.

This. Why the fuck would you? Especially if you're not being threatened to death by an animal what reason would you have to kill it? Besides eating, which is something I'd rather not discuss now because it's obviously not what this topic is intended for.

Mekk if you don't eat milk or eggs you're a vegetarian not a vegan - vegans don't eat dairy products or anything animal.

I'm pretty much with BB here, because it's not required to kill an animal for meat since you don't strictly have to eat it. I also think that we are in no position to judge what deserves to live and what deserves to die, like we do when we kill insects and vermin yet save other mammals. Most of these judgements are purely down to our emotions: spraying a house full of termites doesn't generally evoke the same emotional response in people as killing a cat or a dog. It's insane that our 'morality' works like this, but to be completely morally consistent you will either say that it's not right to kill anything or that it's ok to kill anything including other people. If you declare anything in between you are saying what's worthy of life and what isn't, which at best is based on limited knowledge of other living things. Some would say it's like playing God, considering the ability we have as a species to affect our environment.

On a strictly numerical level, it would still be immoral to eat animals if people could not survive otherwise, because you're deeming yourself more worthy to live than the animals you eat. However, this point is thankfully irrelevant in real life since people are not carnivorous.

I ask vegetarians and vegans: would you eat roadkill or any animal killed entirely by accident?

I said i wasn't gonna post in this again but phox's angry outburst made me want to.

@ Maslada.

I'm finding it difficult to believe the kind of fucking moron you are. You assume that because animals have no vocal cords and are thus unable to speak, they are some form of pathetic microorganism crawling around the feet of humans with no free will or general intelligence of their own. Domesticated animals are intelligent species; they are adapted to their environment in such a way that they need not use vocal communication with others nor display what humans refer to as "intelligence" on a regular basis. In a human social environment, being intelligent involves knowing things like math, reading, science, etc. In a canine or feline social environment, being intelligent means nothing of the sort. Just because animals don't exhibit intelligence in the way humans do has nothing to do with them being "lesser beings" as you call them. They're not lesser beings just because we have them as pets.

I don't really know what you are trying to say. To me not having our intelligence is inferior, we have become so advanced that we are able to live in the harshest conditions on earth, able to leave earth and one day probably be able to spread out from earth. To say animals are different but equal to humans seems ridiculous to me. I never said I think animals are stupid because they can't speak although it obviously doesn't help.

And how much value does entertainment actually have? Is it worth taking something else's life just for fun? In a natural environment the answer is obvious. If anything kills a smaller or weaker animal solely for play and doesn't actually prey upon the animal (unless it's an herbivore, though those don't typically kill other animals), it could have made a potentially fatal decision. Animals don't kill for entertainment and neither should people.

I make the claim that entertainment, while not necessary to live, is necessary to have a quality life for humans. Humans are too complex for everyone to like the same thing so if someone enjoys dog fighting so be it, to me the enjoyment of humans (like i said before its too popular to right them all off as psychos) outweighs the suffering of the dog in this particular activity. I'm pretty certain its a fabrication that dogs always fight to the death, these dogs have been bred for over years by people who consider themselves professionals. I'm sure the breeders would have enough respect for the work of the other breeder to not want to see the other dog killed.

I'm not advocating torture as then I believe suffering would outweigh any enjoyment (as i said before, i'm sure no one enjoys torturing animals). I just don't think dog/cock/bull fighting is THAT bad. I mean lok at bull fighting in spain, tourists go to see that often, matadors are portrayed often in pop culture and thats a human killing an animal. Are all these people freaks? While I would personally hate watching it there are to many people see it as morally neutral for me to be against it.

You fail to take your own argument to its logical conclusion. The animal could have a certain mutation that would start or continue an evolutionary tree that would eventually end in a sentient species. So the animal could theoretically be important, just as the child could.

This is a good comeback. However I wasn't looking this far ahead when I made the post but all that ending the dog would do is end the chance of an emotionally human like creature stemming from the dead animal. Its not the same as ending the life of a toddler who is already an emotional human whether it turns out bad or not would be irrelevant at the time. Then theres also that I don't believe death is an appropriate punishment for an evil act anyway but thats not the discussion.

Also the argument is more about cruelty/dog fighting rather than death, otherwise your counter argument could be used to support vegetarianism. Dog fighting doesn't always end in death (and like I said I think it should be brought above ground to make sure it doesn't) and so the dog would pass on its genes anyway. I just don't see dog fighting as being cruel in comparison with obviously bad acts like torturing an animal.

Edit: sorry for the tl;dr. I think i've repeated myself a lot as well so sorry if that gets annoying.

Mekk if you don't eat milk or eggs you're a vegetarian not a vegan - vegans don't eat dairy products or anything animal.

Oh yeah, vegans are the people I mentioned as well. I thought vegans = vegetarians there. Screw not having English as a mother tongue.

Animal torture and cruelty is twisted. Dogfighting and such "activities" are disgusting.

That said, I don't agree about this idea that every living creature has an equal worth. I wouldn't break it down to say placing primates over dogs etc. but I don't feel any remorse from killing houseflies or spiders.

Guys, this thread really isn't about killing animals at all. It's about animal cruelty. They are two completely different things. While I find killing completely innocent animals FOR ENJOYMENT/NO REASON wrong, I do approve of killing an animal if you plan on eating it. There are other animal species that approve of killing Humans to eat us. But like I said, this is completely irrelevant to the topic of discussion. This is about animal CRUELTY.

cookie said:
It's insane that our 'morality' works like this, but to be completely morally consistent you will either say that it's not right to kill anything or that it's ok to kill anything including other people. If you declare anything in between you are saying what's worthy of life and what isn't, which at best is based on limited knowledge of other living things

Ok, well by your logic all carnivores and herbivores are not morally consistent. It is ridiculous that you think there should only be 2 extremes. If a bug is invading your home, and annoying you (it could be trying to attack you) why not kill it? I mean, if a human invades my home and starts messing with my shit, I'm going to try to f it up. If I invade an ant hill they sure as hell want to kill me. This is just a poor statement to say that everybody has to be on one extreme or the other.

majesty said:
Being a cow would be awesome. You get all the free food and steroids you want and at the end of the day you don't have to go through the formality of old age.

Is it ok to keep slaves if I give them free food, steroids and kill them before they're senile? Sure, you can't really ask cows what they prefer, but some humans are just as incapacitated.

Intelligence and anthrocentrism doesn't dictate that one act of cruelty is more severe than another based soley on merit of species.

Yes it does. Life has no inherent worth. To value the life of an entity, you have to use human criteria such as how much empathy you can feel for it or how its life or death can benefit you or your peers.

Our valuation of life and our concept of cruelty are evolved. I could go in details on where I think it comes from and how it came to be, but it's madness to give it any objectivity. What is or isn't cruel is relative, subjective and cultural. It's written nowhere and it shifts through time: that's why slavery was acceptable before but is now completely immoral. Of course, a time's morality is always superior to the morality of any other time, so it's difficult to argue that nothing is inherently more wrong than anything else.

Maslada said:
Torture is always going to create more pain than pleasure no matter what is being tortured.

Why? Just imagine that you're getting multiple orgasms every time you tear off a kitten's ear. Fuck yeah. I mean, in all seriousness, you can't really evaluate that at all.

From what I know of animals, I don't believe they can suffer as much as humans can.

From what I know of animals, they do, and their helplessness makes it even worse.

Surgo said:
The animal could have a certain mutation that would start or continue an evolutionary tree that would eventually end in a sentient species. So the animal could theoretically be important, just as the child could.

Pragmatically, that's a bad thing for us.

Big Bayou said:
Emotional capacity hardly grants elevated status amongst living things. So what if you've evolved the ability to fire your synapses at a ridiculous rate and feel emotions like love or excitement? How does that let you deem the life of, say, a housefly as having less value than your own? What about its life, so completely and utterly different from yours, gives you any reason to take it away? Length? Access to memory? Level of comfort? Those are all human components that have nothing to do with a fly.

We're humans, therefore we have to use human values. As I said, life has no inherent worth. To say that a fly has less value than myself is misleading because there is no objective realm where I even have a value. Normally, humans value life in proportion to how much they can relate to it and in proportion to how parasitic or symbiotic their relationship with another species is. We value chimps because they're our little brothers; we don't value carrots because we can't relate to them; we value cats because they're pets; we don't value mosquitoes because they do nothing but harm us.

Aeolus said:
It has been presented in this thread that all living things are equally valuable. Someone who places the same value on a human life as they would a housefly is bang out of court. At some point, one has to evaluate the "worth" (for lack of a better word) of a life. Certainly a border collie has a higher intrinsic value than a mosquito... and the orangutan a higher value than the dog?

Not intrinsically, no. But we do have a partial ordering of what species are worth more than what others (and what people are superior to what others, for that matter), and that's what we use. Maybe in our system orangutans > dogs and maybe in a typical dog's system it's the opposite because they valuate things differently. But that's irrelevant: a human will obviously use a human system, and we're all humans here.

Maslada said:
I don't really know what you are trying to say. To me not having our intelligence is inferior, we have become so advanced that we are able to live in the harshest conditions on earth, able to leave earth and one day probably be able to spread out from earth.

And destroy earth. That's pretty bad.

I make the claim that entertainment, while not necessary to live, is necessary to have a quality life for humans.

Not all forms of entertainment are acceptable and very few are irreplaceable. It's not like we don't have choice. Don't tell me there's nothing that we could do instead of making dogs fight each other that would entertain people just as much.

there are plenty of organic and natrual ways to get b12 vitamins in you. something as simple as eating a bowl of cherios and half a cup of soy milk gives you 35% of your daily b12.

milk is very unheathy, the top 4 countries that consume milk have higher, cancer, osteoporosis, heart disease, and obesety rates than any other countries.

animal is cruelty is just wrong no matter how you look at it. no logical, rational thinking human being would think it is ok to inflict harm on another creature for fun or entertainment. Sine the early 1900 stereo types have plagued many first world countries into thinking animals are unintelligent, and lack the ability to feel emotion.

Anyone who has done any kind of research into this field know that these stereo types can be easily dismissed. read up on the storys of Pelorpus Jack, Bobby from Edinburg Scotland, or Henry Burgh.

read books. dont listen to what the tv has to tell you about meat and animal cruilty. the meat industry is the largest in the US. its a terrorist act to speak out agains them since the pass of the Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act. dont gather your info from TV.

Read books.

milk is very unheathy, the top 4 countries that consume milk have higher, cancer, osteoporosis, heart disease, and obesety rates than any other countries.

Saying something so stupid should deserve a ban. I've been browsing the internet for the past 30 minutes studying milk. The only sources relevant to what you have said have all been about the same interview from some guy named Robert Cohen. Are you seriously trying to say that drinking milk is a direct cause to cancer, osteoporosis, heart disease, and obesity? Really? Did you know that Milk has Calcium and Vitamin D which is essential for strong bones and teeth? Hm? Did you know that eating a lot of fatty foods leads to obesity? Yeah, milk has fat. But do you think the obese people are obese because of milk? Do you think that maybe, just maybe, these people have very unhealthy diets in general? Just sayin'. Did you know that countries in Asia that don't really depend on milk have really healthy diets involving seafood and vegetables? That's probably why they aren't obese. They eat healthier than we do. Trying to pin all of that bullshit on milk has pissed me off more than anything else all year. Oh man can I please flame you? Just a lil' bit? (insert insult here)

Yeah, I call bullshit on the milk comment. While there are a number of problems with modern dairy farming (particular the US commercial dairy farms) milk over all is good for you, especially if you're drinking the organic brands which don't have cows that are pumped full of growth hormones and antibiotics, and usually have cows that raised "free range" as opposed to tiny filthy pens. Stop spouting that PETA grade bullshit.

That said I believe that eating an animals isn't wrong, nor does it constitute animal cruelty unless how it was raised or killed is considered to be inhumane.

However to play the devil's advocate there are very few situations in the first world where we -have- to eat meat to survive because of the availability of effective vegetable replacements.

Yes it does. Life has no inherent worth. To value the life of an entity, you have to use human criteria such as how much empathy you can feel for it or how its life or death can benefit you or your peers.

Our valuation of life and our concept of cruelty are evolved. I could go in details on where I think it comes from and how it came to be, but it's madness to give it any objectivity. What is or isn't cruel is relative, subjective and cultural. It's written nowhere and it shifts through time: that's why slavery was acceptable before but is now completely immoral. Of course, a time's morality is always superior to the morality of any other time, so it's difficult to argue that nothing is inherently more wrong than anything else.
Madness to give it any objectivity? That is almost a contradiction in terms isnt it. Anything, no matter how subjective can still be viewed objectively.

Our concept of cruelty is evolved, this is true. I mean, it is obvious that it comes from someone saying "I wouldnt want x to happen to me" then realising that they cannot reasonably expect that x wont happen to them if they are inflicting x upon other people. But this still allows for objective analysis. Slavery was always cruel. It was just accepted because people didnt realise it was immoral, or they just didnt care and believed they could get away with it.

So the question here should be "If I were a dog, would I approve of dog fighting". This is kind of a difficult question since none of us know what it is like to be a dog. Does a dog really give a shit if it gets hurt or is it just a machine that squeals when you pull its tail or whatever? Well, as far as I know, all evidence points to the fact that dogs do give a shit. Therefore dog fighting is cruel.

But clearly there is a point where this ceases to be the case. Colin was saying the other day that insects do not give a shit. I didnt bother to check if he is right, but if he is, then bug fighting is ok. Plants definitely do not. It's ok to fight plants.

The reason you should obey this is despite the fact there is no risk of you becoming a dog, there are comparable situations. For instance, you could suffer a brain injury that causes you to become as intellegent as a dog. Also your child at a point in development might be as intellegent as a dog, and you may find yourself unable to protect it if you died or something. Or you might have a pet dog that you could be unable to protect.

Then there is the totally different point that fighting dogs are fucking dangerous animals. I dont want fighting dogs to be kept anywhere near anywhere I might be.

As for vegetarianism. If animals are treated well, I dont have a problem with them being killed for food. If the life of a cow is valuable, farming and killing cows for eating actually results in far, far more cow lifes than otherwise. And the animal isnt suffering. It isnt able to understand its position nor is it aware of its fate. If I were a cow I would support farming. I only eat free range eggs though (I am utterly unsure if chickens are capable of suffering, so rather than putting in the effort to find out I err on the side of caution).

[edit] - Ambitions: Cheerios have artificially added B12, do you know where it comes from? I know it is endorsed as Vegan, but if the alternative is injections, it might be endorsed out of necessity. Also, where do you get your other 65% of daily b12 from.

Mekkah: I am under the impression that B12 gets stored a long time in the body, and that some people go for years and years without problems before suddenly becoming sick when they run out. I dont really know all that much about the subject though..

Have a nice day.

Yeah, I don't see what people are complaining about. You realize that in the wild, animals would have a much lower quality of life than in our care (on average).

I mean, they get fed for free, they get cleaned, they get pampered etc. All we ask for is their love and care (in the case of housepets) or their Milk, Eggs or etc. (in the case of farming animals).

Especially in the case of cows, they get infected badly if they don't drain their utters of milk every day and they lose the ability to produce milk. So we're helping them out. And plus, they have a great life (as I mentioned before).

I think the biggest problem most people have with animals in captivity is their "lack of free will". But what the hell is a cow going to aspire to in the wild? Will it think of a cure for cancer, or travel all the way around the world to see all it can see? No, it will stand in the wild eat grass, shit and probably get eaten by some carnivore.

Madness to give it any objectivity? That is almost a contradiction in terms isnt it. Anything, no matter how subjective can still be viewed objectively.

Well, you can always say "this is what he thinks", or "this is how human morality works". What I mean is that there is no set of moral rules that are inherently better than the others and remain constant through time and culture.

Our concept of cruelty is evolved, this is true. I mean, it is obvious that it comes from someone saying "I wouldnt want x to happen to me" then realising that they cannot reasonably expect that x wont happen to them if they are inflicting x upon other people. But this still allows for objective analysis. Slavery was always cruel. It was just accepted because people didnt realise it was immoral, or they just didnt care and believed they could get away with it.

It was less immoral than it is now. It's not a matter of people "realizing" that something is moral or immoral: they simply change their minds and look back using a new perspective. You'll always think you've improved, even though the truth is that the scale doesn't exist. From your modern morals, slavery is inacceptable and it has always been. From an ancient perspective, slavery was acceptable. And there's no reason to think that slavery won't become acceptable again in the future, perhaps using more sophisticated arguments.

You could argue that a modern man could convince an ancient man that modern morals are superior. Maybe, but not always. If you're clever enough, you can really twist morals any way you like.

So the question here should be "If I were a dog, would I approve of dog fighting". This is kind of a difficult question since none of us know what it is like to be a dog. Does a dog really give a shit if it gets hurt or is it just a machine that squeals when you pull its tail or whatever? Well, as far as I know, all evidence points to the fact that dogs do give a shit. Therefore dog fighting is cruel.

If a machine squeals when you pull its tail, you'd think it gives a shit. And under the surface, a dog is a machine and we're machines too. If you ask a supporter of dog fighting what he would think of it if he was a dog, he'd probably just scoff and tell you "man, it's just a dog". He would find it as ridiculous as if he was asked to imagine himself as a tree. When you say that dogs give a shit, it's that you can empathize with the dog, you can imagine being a dog and going through the same thing you would go through as a human. You see a dog machine and a human machine and you tell yourself "we're the same" (where applicable). Some people don't. What can you expect from them?

But clearly there is a point where this ceases to be the case. Colin was saying the other day that insects do not give a shit. I didnt bother to check if he is right, but if he is, then bug fighting is ok.

How do you evaluate if a bug gives a shit or not? What if it gives a shit in a way we can't relate to? It can also be argued that hampering the reproduction of any living being is cruelty towards nature. Or isn't cruelty just related to any sort of suffering or distress a human can relate to?

Plants definitely do not. It's ok to fight plants.

They can react to the fight in some ways, so I assume that whatever reaction they have you're ok with?

The reason you should obey this is despite the fact there is no risk of you becoming a dog, there are comparable situations. For instance, you could suffer a brain injury that causes you to become as intellegent as a dog. Also your child at a point in development might be as intellegent as a dog, and you may find yourself unable to protect it if you died or something. Or you might have a pet dog that you could be unable to protect.

"Being a dog" is pretty much what defines the situation. There isn't really any comparable situation you could be put in. You might become "less intelligent" later on, but you wouldn't be a dog. As far as I know, there are no rings where retarded people are forced to fight each other. People will leave you alone. The last example is probably the best, but even in that case, you might be against dogfighting not because of the cruelty but to be respectful towards dog owners.

As for vegetarianism. If animals are treated well, I dont have a problem with them being killed for food. If the life of a cow is valuable, farming and killing cows for eating actually results in far, far more cow lifes than otherwise. And the animal isnt suffering. It isnt able to understand its position nor is it aware of its fate.

I could carefully inbreed humans to ensure that all resulting humans are retarded and use them as slaves to do manual labor. When they get old, I would kill them and eat them. I could also buy brain-damaged people from all over the world for the same purpose. If I treat them well, that's ok, isn't it?

It's really the same thing, yet a lot of people would feel uneasy about it because it's done to humans. Even when they have cow brains, people relate with human beings a lot more easily than they can relate with cows. That is the real reason we give humans a greater value than cows.

If I were a cow I would support farming. I only eat free range eggs though (I am utterly unsure if chickens are capable of suffering, so rather than putting in the effort to find out I err on the side of caution).

Of course they are. If an animal doesn't "suffer", when you kick it, it'll keep coming back. The whole purpose of suffering is to be able to adapt one's behavior to avoid hurtful things. Suffering is a way of learning (or behaving) - any animal or machine that learns or chooses a behavior through rewards or penalties can be said to feel joy or suffering.

Let me elaborate on the idea: what we call suffering is a particular method of transforming an input into a "penalty" that tells the brain how to behave next. From a purely abstract point of view, the function of suffering is so general that a lot of computer programs could already be said to suffer. That's why cruelty towards dogs is relative to how "close" we think we are to dogs - if an animal has a mechanism that is fundamentally different from how we suffer but has the same purpose, we won't call it suffering, even though it's actually the same damn thing. How do we determine how "close" an animal is to us? How they look. The sounds they make. Their intelligence. There's nothing very scientific in this.

justin im just stating proven facts.

milk maybe high in calcium but it flushes more calcium out of your body when you urinate than it puts in. if you dont take in other vitamins that your body needs to absorb the calcium, then milk really doesnt help your body from a calcium standpoint.

when the owner of basking robbins died at 55 from a heart att, his son who took over for him stepped down from his position because he realized how detrimental milk is to a humans health, an animals life, and most of all the environment.

justin, id say you need to check out some other sites indeed.

There is an ongoing debate on how healthy milk is for you. You can't just take one side of the spectrum and argue it. It's a double-edged issue. Yes, it can be unhealthy for you, but it can also be very healthy for you.

Besides, all the research so far is inconclusive and as such it's all just speculation. You can be of the opinion that Milk is bad for you, but Milk is only bad for you if you let it be.

If you are talking about Milk being high in Saturated fat, so is a lot of things that people eat. It's up to you to exercise, which is important to stay healthy anyway. If you sit there and just eat icecream, drink milk and eat other fatty foods without taking care of yourself, of course something bad is going to happen. It's inevitable. But it's not because of the milk; it's because you don't take care of yourself.

That said, just remember that it's of your opinion that milk isn't healthy for you, or that it's detrimental to your health. It's not fact.

Also, how in the world is milk detrimental to animals and the environment? Do you understand how milking even works or why they do it? It's actually healthier for a cow to be milked than to not be. And I really don't get the environment part.

When deciding if certain organisms have higher worth than others, I look at it this way: does the animal reproduce at a high rate? Does the animal have the ability to form a personality?

Let's look at dogs vs. ants. Dogs don't reproduce as quickly as ants do, nor as many. Dogs eventually form personalities, whereas ants basically just work off of instinct. Dogs therefore have a higher worth than ants, using my method, because ants can easily replace themselves, since they reproduce so easily and quickly, and because they don't have a personality to replace, they are all basically the same. Getting a dog with the same personality as another would take years, therefore the dog's life is more valuable than the ants.

all forms of life on this earth hold a key importance to the food chain and our ecosystem. no form of life is more valuable that another.

except for humans, they are basically worthless.

Back