Sign-Up Apprentice Program Signups: SV OU

awyp

Assault Vest Arch GONE
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
RMT Leader

Welcome to Battling 101! If you're seeking a tutor for SV OU, you are in the right place. Please read all the rules carefully and fill out every part of the application.

RULES

• You must be able to access Discord, or whatever your tutor wants as the primary form of communication.
  • You must be willing to use Pokemon Showdown! even if you are being tutored in a cartridge format such as Battle Spot or VGC.
  • You, the tutee, should have at least 15 posts before signing up AND your account's age should be a minimum of at least 1 month old before signing up.
    • This is not a strict requirement meaning you may still be paired without satisfying it, so no matter what, DO NOT spam post elsewhere in the forum. That is an infractable offense and we do not encourage such behavior from potential Tutees.
  • You must have battled competitively for a decent amount in at least ONE of the Smogon tiers or Battle Spot / VGC to sign up. Playing 10 or so matches on the PS! ladder is not substantial enough, ~70 or so is more reasonable. This experience does not need to be for the format you sign-up for; this is just to weed out people who have never played competitively that can improve themselves simply by using resources already available to them without needing a tutor to hold their hand.
  • You, the tutee, are responsible for setting up times with your tutor. When you receive the Smogon notification informing you of the pairing, please take the initiative and post on their VM wall first. Continued scheduling and communication is key to a successful pairing!
  • Use the Tutee Talk forum to complain about your tutor (or praise them if they're doing a good job). These are no longer mandatory, but if your tutor is ridiculously inactive or is a complete jackass, COMPLAIN HERE. Nobody can see your tutee talk posts except for you and the Battling 101 Staff; everything is confidential.
  • Signups older than 4 months or 1 month since last login will be considered inactive. These will be moved to the Inactive Posts thread, and can be returned back to this thread by request.
  • Tutors can and will drop you if sessions go badly, and significant violations may result in a ban from B101. Be active, be enthusiastic, be respectful. Make the best of your time together!
Here is the signup template, and an example sign-up post.
Username:
PS! Username:
Signup Format:
Your timezone:
Usual Hours of Availability:
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences):
Are you able to use Discord?:
Username: Shiba
PS! Username: Big Sean
Signup Format: SV OU
Your timezone: EST (GMT -5)
Usual Hours of Availability: weekdays 8 PM - 12 AM, weekends 12 PM - 12 AM
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I started playing competitively in early XY and spammed Baton Pass on the ladder. I was pretty skilled I guess. I then got more involved with Smogon and started to play in various tournaments like UUPL and later on Snake and SPL. I could use a bit more practice in this tier though, so I'm looking to get help
Are you able to use Discord?: Yes

Last edited by a moderator:
Username: NoSeLlama
PS! Username: ElHuequereque
Your timezone: GMT-3
Usual Hours of Availability: For the most part I'm available every day. Ideal hours are between 10AM - 12PM or between 2PM - 5PM. Schedule might free up even more on ocassion. (GMT-3 time zone).
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): Started playing Showdown on 2013 and have played on and off since then. I'd say I'm a decent player as I usually hang out in the 1600's-1700's on the ladder. My main issues are that: 1) I struggle to form long term game plans as I usually just react to what's in front of me, thinking at most about only 3 or 4 turns ahead. 2) And that I struggle to learn to use a variety of teams, I get fixated on 2 or 3, which to be fair I master p well, but then I feel really uncomfortable branching out and rage quit after 2 or 3 matches when using other teams, especially if I didn't build them myself.
Are you able to use Discord?: Yes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Username: Bakugames
PS! Username: Frogcroaks
Your timezone:
UTC -3
Usual Hours of Availability: 5-6 PM monday/wednesday/friday; 3-6 PM tuesday/thrusday; 2PM-10PM sunday. (Not available on saturdays)
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I've tried to get into competitive in gen 8, but wasn't able to really get the meta, and fell behind (that and busy life). I'm trying to get back to comp in gen 9, and while I'm not the most consistent, I've done some decent-ish progress in the times ive played, even if it's still beginner stuff. I want to get better at the tier and understand fundamentals better, even if tournament stuff may not be possible in a long time (or even available to me due to timezones u_u)
Are you able to use Discord?: Yes!

Last edited:
Username: MechSteelix
PS! Username: MechSteelix
Your timezone: EST
Usual Hours of Availability: Most times after 7PM
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I played a lot of Monotype in Generation 7, peaking #11 on ladder. I've played a lot of Random Battles, and only a little bit of OU. I haven't played much since generation 7, so there's a lot of gaps in my knowledge in Generation 8 and 9. I've been trying to build and ladder with a team for OU, but I would like some longer-term mentorship to help me understand the tier better. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Are you able to use Discord?: Yup, MechSteelix#3333

Username: Zane102
PS! Username: Zane102
Usual Hours of Availability: I am pretty free almost every day,Thursdays/Fridays are taken unless told otherwise.
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I use to play a ton of gen 7/8 competitive OU, I was a big fan of the formats and I thought I was pretty good, I took a pretty long break and finally wanna get back into the scene. I am hoping to find a tutor to help me get back into team building, battling, and more. I hope this comes well to all the tutors and hope to hear from one soon! But if they are busy, that's okay <3
Yes ZaneIsBad

Username: Prof.Otaku
PS! Username: P.Otaku
Your timezone: GMT+2
Usual Hours of Availability :10-12pm on weekdays, more flexible on weekends
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I started playing in monotype, then in UU during the 8th generation. But when I came back from my break, I focused on the monotype. I would like to leave the tier to focus on the OU of 9g, but I'm having trouble, especially with the management of terra. My objectif would be to improve my building, and my ingame in order to be able to obtain good results on the ladder and no longer be stuck at 1700-1800.
Yes snowangelotaku

Username: jawabarat
PS! Username: jawabarat
Your timezone: +0
Usual Hours of Availability: Weekdays 6-10pm, weekends no consistent time but usually flexible
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I made it onto team UK as a substitute for this year's world cup, but was not confident enough in ou to be all that helpful as I was an unused substitute and struggled to contribute to building. I have had decent success in UU this gen (top 8 uu open, 5-0 in espanol pl, #7 on ladder), but OU hasn't been clicking in the same way. This year I want to keep my place on the UK world cup roster and be more capable of pulling my weight. I'm travelling during December, so I'd ideally like to start with tutoring in January.
Are you able to use Discord?: yes, Dansparce#5404

Last edited:
Username: Astico
PS! Username: Astico
Your timezone: GMT+1
No weekends, only weekdays at afternoons, evenings, nights
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences):
I started playing late gen 7 OU but didn't get too much into it at the time. I gave it a shot again in gen 8 OU but ended up confused and didn't really understand the metagame. Since I got frustrated with OU I mostly played random battles. I now want to try my hand again at OU as I've gained a deeper appreciation for the competitive game and want to become a good enough player where I have a shot at placing good at tournaments. I mostly get confused on teambuilding and people tell me some of my decisions in battle ar very stupid and I want to become better at recognizing that. I also struggle at formulating gameplans and sticking with them and understanding what my opponents gameplan is.
Yes, astico (Astico#6679)

MMF

Give me the strength to part this sea
Username: MMF
PS! Username: schizoxbt
Usual Hours of Availability: Most days from 9am-5pm but can be reached on discord via msgs whenever
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I've been playing Mons for a long time. I used to be an NU council member, Tutor, and played in some tournys back in the heyday, like gen 4 ish. So I have plenty of experience but I let it slip by the wayside for so long and I feel out of touch. Try to keep up best I can but still lost lol. Teambuilding and general meta knowledge is probably where I struggle the most.
Are you able to use Discord?: Yes, Schizoxbt is the handle

Shaymin Sky

formerly slainey
is a Pre-Contributor
Username: slainey
PS! Username: slainey
Your timezone: CST
Usual Hours of Availability: Any time from 1:30 PM to 9:30 PM
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I've been playing for a little over 10 years, since BW OU, with only truly gaining skill at the end of Gen 7. I peaked #2 in Gen 8 OU at 2134 elo, and have peaked in 1900's in gen 9/7 OU's. Although truthfully I had lost a lot of motivation when I quit OU in the middle lifespan of Generation 8 I am a little rusty in Generation 9 from such a long hiatus. However even though I had quit after DLC 2 of SS, I had entered last years OLT for fun for just cycle 1 and ended at #17 on cycle 1, so I believe I have retained most of my skills. Right now my goal though is to become a top 5 player in SV OU, which does sound ridiculous but I believe I have the gameplay experience and skill necessary to reach that goal given I put in the right amount of effort. It would not be nearly as much effort to coach me since I'll pick up on things fast and can do a lot of things on my own, I just need some sort of guidance and I think it would go a long way. The only tour experience I have had is Smogon OST where I DQ in round 5 or 6 I don't remember exactly, which was when I quit gen 8 OU, but I'm back for SV since I find it fun actually lol.
Are you able to use Discord?: Yes, "shayminsky"

Username: empoleon621
PS! Username: piplup621 but i have a gazillion alts like Bigg♥Chunggus♥
Your timezone:
PST GMT-8
Any time past like 3pm pst basically everyday. Just dm me on discord and I'm free I will say so.
I've known of showdown for like 6 years at this point but I didn't really start playing seriously till gen9, where I found a fire team and hit like top500, but now I'm ass again.
Yes, empoleon621

Username: tankmonx
PS! Username:
- Powermaple
- Tankmonx
- Starfoxfalco
Signup Format: OU
- Monday mornings/afternoons
- Tuesday all day
- Friday morning
- Saturday all day
- Sunday morning/evening
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): Played for 6 years straight from summer 2014 (Gen 6) - 2020 (gen 7/early gen 8). Peaked 1500s in Gen 7 OU.
Yes

Attachments

Username: Durk27
PS! Username: Durk27 and Grass Seed 12
Signup Format: scarlet violet ou
Your timezone: GMT -5
nighttime except on fridays and sats
I am no stranger to playing pokemon on a competitive level. I've been playing lots of VGC and TCG, both IRL events and just the battle spot and TCG Live. I know the types, EVs, IVs, all that jazz. I've been playing since the VGC days of 2012, off and on. One of my buds suggested to use Pokemon Showdown to build teams quicker and I see there is a LOT here. Thanks
Yes

Username: Noriken
PS! Username: Noriken
Your timezone: GMT -3
Every day after 1 PM

I started between 2015-2016 playing OU in 6th Gen, then I played OU 7th Gen reaching 1400 and in 8th Gen I reached 1300. After this I left the game and a few weeks ago I played again, I would like to improve as a player since I was never really good player.

Sorry if english is weird, I don't know how to speak it and I turned to Google translate for help. If by chance there is a tutor who speaks Spanish it would be the best ):

Username: Foufakirby
PS! Username: FFK Foufakirby
Your timezone: GMT+2
Usual Hours of Availability : 4:30 - 7pm on weekdays, more flexible on weekends
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I started playing SS Natdex AG (was just trolling with cloyster team). But when I came back from my break, I focused in OU and started real strat at the beginning of gen9. I‘m a pretty good player but I intend to signup for next Wcop and I don’t have the level ofc. My objectif would be to improve my building, and my ingame, I made a good perf during OLT (#3 cycle 4 even if I choked at the end)
Yes foufakirby / Foufakirby #7395

Last edited:
Username: Doonboggle
PS! Username: Weese328
Signup Format: SV OU or SV UU
Your timezone: CST
3 PM to 12 AM
I've been trying competitive singles on and off since ORAS, and the higher tiers always pulled me in with how active they were. I've never got past 1200 on any ladder, even on older accounts, and I wish to improve. I've been struggling with SV's competitive singles scene more than I have with any previous gen, and I believe that I need to try and get into tutoring if I want to improve.
Yes. My user is iloveholes

Username: Cristian Jimenez
PS! Username: Zelph Spectral
Your timezone: GMT-4
Usual Hours of Availability: 6pm to 11pm

I climbed the ladder when the pokemons from home had not yet arrived, I participated in some tours with a decent performance without standing out much, after home I only participated in a tour
Are you able to use Discord?: yes

Username: FYBIRR
PS! Username: FYBIRR (or fybirr because Pokémon Unite chatroom doesn't allow all caps for some reason)
Your timezone: GMT-4
Usual Hours of Availability: Monday-Friday 4pm-8:30pm Saturday 12:30pm-10pm Sunday all day
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I saw a YouTube video about some dude getting #1 on SS OU ladder and my ass said to myself "I can do that." I couldn't do that. I'm much better than I was when I started except in OU, which is currently my worst tier.
Are you able to use Discord?: nope

genisu

formerly tigershark/genius1
Username: genius1/tigershark
PS! Username: genisu x org
Timezone: PST
availibility, usually after school or miscellaneous times
Experience: I play LC and SMOU and recently decided to try for ursa reqs- peaked at 1500 with a 77 gxe, then lost 2 games in a row and ragequitted, looking for a coach that can help with replay review and teambuilding
Discord: Yes my user is xxxtentacionstan

Username: CaptainDanny
PS! Username: Captain Danny So
Your timezone: GMT+ 8
Most times after 7PM
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I've watched competitive singles pokemon battles for more than a decade and only recently started playing on PS about 1.5 months or 2 months ago. I usually float around 1300~1400 Elo. I think I have a huge problem with identifying win conditions and trying to predict the sets opponents are using. Would love to get better at the game.
Are you able to use Discord?: toilette13

Username: Valkyeye
PS! Username: Valkyrye
Your timezone: GMT-3
Usual Hours of Availability: mon/wendesday/friday
I've played extremely on and off for about 10 years, since XY came out. I love this game, and wouldlove to improve.
Currently stuck in elo hell hahahaha
Are you able to use Discord?

yes!!!! it's sofia.valquiria

Username: ChekYoPrivilege
PS! Username: ChekYoPrivilege
Usual Hours of Availability: Most evenings/nights

Used to play competitive mons in the past. No idea whats going on now.
Are you able to use Discord?

Yes.

Username: TonezofFun
PS! Username: T0nezOfFun
Usual Hours of Availability: saturday and sunday 7-10 PM
Got back into competitive after a long break since XY/ORAS. Have the team building down somewhat, but feel my play is hindering my experience.

Last edited:
Username: Galactikitty
PS! Username: Galactikitty
Evenings (after 6pm) on most days. Will vary with exams and homework.
I've been playing on Showdown for more than a few years; I think I remember playing gen7 randbats, to give a timeframe. I've been getting more seriously into it in the past year or so due to watching YouTubers that have inspired me, and in general I want to get more into the Smogon community at this point, but that's an aside. I've been feeling a little stuck with laddering; I'll use others' teams because I know my teambuilding isn't very strong, but I must be struggling somewhere with actually playing and I'd like to talk through it with someone more experienced and see if I can be helped.
yes!

Username: XXVI
PS! Username
: Sinful Ky
Usual Hours of Availability: from 6pm or later on depending on my school days but in always free on the weekend.
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): iv been playing mons for a little under a year now im swapping from national dex as i found the tier to be not as challenging as it used to be hit my experience is kinda hard as i tend to make bad plays and throw the game entirely.
Are you able to use Discord?: yes its x764

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)