Arcanine

My first post ever. Guys I noticed that arcanine has a interesting trick that other pokes can probably do, but I wanted to point it out anyway. (all at level 50 with assumed perfect IVs. no weather either but sun would power up arcanine even farther.) a jolly max attack 252 attack arcanine @life orb can
switch into a ferrothorn, and ohko it with a flare blitz 100% of the time (no matter its defenses). here is where it gets interesting, if they switch to a jellicent the jellicent takes a medium chunk and then the next turn has a chance (I don't mean by criticals) to be ko'd with a wild charge unless its 252 hp/def evs, def+ nature.
here are my calcs:
arcanine w/ flare blitz vs (any) ferrothorn 100%
arcanine w/ flare blitz vs (252hp 252def, def+ nature) jellicent 25.6%~30.4%
arcanine w/ wild bolt vs (252hp 252def, def+) jellicent 51.2%~60.9%
arcanine w/ flare blitz vs (252hp 252def) jellicent 28.5%~33.5%
arcanine w/ wild bolt vs (252hp 252def) jellicent 57%~67.6%
arcanine w/ flare blitz vs (252 hp 128def, def+) jellicent 29.5%~34.8%
arcanine w/ wild bolt vs (252hp 128def, def+) jellicent 58.9%~69.6%
arcanine w/ flare blitz vs (252 hp 128def) jellicent 32.4%~38.2%
arcanine w/ wild bolt vs (252hp 128def) jellicent 65.7%~77.3%
arcanine w/ flare blitz vs (252hp 4def, def+) jellicent 34.8~40.6%
arcanine w/ wild bolt vs (252hp 4def, def+) jellicent 69.3%~82.1%
arcanine w/ flare blitz vs (252hp 4def) jellicent 37.7%~44.4%
arcanine w/ wild bolt vs (252hp 4def) jellicent 76.3%~89.9%
also for lols:
arcanine w/ close combat vs (252hp 252def, def+) evolite chansey 57.1%~67.2%
I'm not even sure if I know what I'm saying myself, but to me It looks like arcanine could take out some walls unexpectedly in wifi. I think that's a good thing for him even if all my calcs are fairly circumstantial.

You know, it is true that most people wouldn't expect you to keep in a fire type on a water type.
He would take a chunk of damage from the recoil from wild bolt though.

it's a shame that he doesn't get U-turn or Volt Switch, because just constantly using it with another pokemon who can do this with Intimidate would be both annoying to them and fun for the user :D

yea the lack of u-turn is the only thing that makes me hesitant to use it on wifi battles. IF IT DID LEARN u-turn I probably wouldn't be the only one using it though, which lowers the BAM YOU JUST LOST YOUR SWITCH IN factor.

I recently started using a new set for Arcanine that I created. It works very well in OU. I switched my Heatran for this set. To my surprise, it worked at least on par with Heatran most of the time.

Arcanine @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire / Intimidate
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Hp / 200 Atk / 56 Spe
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat / Wild Charge
- ExtremeSpeed
- Substitute

I was astonished at how well this works. The EVs may seem a bit random, but they serve an important purpose. 56 EVs puts Arcanine at 240 Speed, which is just enough to outspeed all neutral natured base 70s as well as base 100s without speed investment. From there, 252 EVs in HP increase Arcanine's already solid bulk and let it reach a leftovers number. The remaining EVs go into Attack. You may switch the HP and Atk EVs, but that will only result in 4% more damage, which doesn't seem worth it. As for ability, Flash Fire is usually more useful to negate damage from fire moves. Intimidate is an option, but Arcanine is already a solid check to many physical attackers even without the attack drop. Another change that could be made is Close Combat to Wild Charge if you have problems with Water types, but Close Combat is generally more useful.

Arcanine's unique speed allows it to check important Pokemon such as Tyranitar, Scizor, Jirachi, Ferrothorn, Breloom, Heatran, and more. However, this is where Arcanine usually runs into problems. It is quite easy to switch in a faster pokemon to take a hit and scare Arcanine out without taking much damage. This is where Subsitute comes in. Arcanine can come in with ease onto many of OU's top pokemon and set up. From there, he can severely damage the opponent's switch in with the appropriate move. Combined with ExtremeSpeed, there are few Pokemon in OU that can repeatedly switch into Arcanine.

You may be wondering why this set is useful. For one, it is a perfect check to almost all Tyranitar, Scizor, and Ferrothorn. This trio it now the top 3 in OU with Garchomp sent to ubers. Being able to handle all three is certainly a boon to Arcanine's effectiveness. However, it is most effective in luring and defeating (or weakening) certain Pokemon. In particular, dragons almost always come out. Latias and Latios take significant damage from Arcanine's attacks, and dont deal much in return without Surf. Heatran will sometimes switch in expecting a fire move, only to be OHKOed by Close Combat.

Unfortunately, this set is hard countered by bulky waters and Gliscor. In particular, Vaporeon, Jellicent, and Gyarados give this set trouble. Make sure to have a counter for each of them. Rotom-W is a great choice, and also can handle Earthquakes that threaten Arcanine.

This ends my very long and drawn out description of this Arcanine set. I encourage you to all try it out. Especially with Chomp gone, Arcanine looks like he may be having a great time in Gen V OU.

SR weak, mediocre defenses,mediocre attack and STAB, coverage that is just barely good enough, Sandstorm, Hail and Rain weak..

He got a boost, but keep in mind he could run HP Ground before to deal with Heatran. He has one of the highest non-legendary or 600 BST in the game, but Arcanine is still UU material at best.
90-80-80 defenses aren't exactly frail, a 110-100-95 are a pretty decent set of offensive stats too. I don't know what kind of move you're looking for if a 120 base power STAB isn't good enough for you and Fire-Fighting-Electric deals with most things effectively. Also, it isn't necessarily rain weak considering it can Wild Charge rain users.

Don't know which Pokémon you were on about here.

90-80-80 defenses aren't exactly frail, a 110-100-95 are a pretty decent set of offensive stats too. I don't know what kind of move you're looking for if a 120 base power STAB isn't good enough for you and Fire-Fighting-Electric deals with most things effectively. Also, it isn't necessarily rain weak considering it can Wild Charge rain users.

Don't know which Pokémon you were on about here.
I don't know either, considering you quoted a post from 10 months ago.

My first post ever. Guys I noticed that arcanine has a interesting trick that other pokes can probably do, but I wanted to point it out anyway. (all at level 50 with assumed perfect IVs. no weather either but sun would power up arcanine even farther.) a jolly max attack 252 attack arcanine @life orb can
switch into a ferrothorn, and ohko it with a flare blitz 100% of the time (no matter its defenses). here is where it gets interesting, if they switch to a jellicent the jellicent takes a medium chunk and then the next turn has a chance (I don't mean by criticals) to be ko'd with a wild charge unless its 252 hp/def evs, def+ nature.
here are my calcs:
arcanine w/ flare blitz vs (any) ferrothorn 100%
arcanine w/ flare blitz vs (252hp 252def, def+ nature) jellicent 25.6%~30.4%
arcanine w/ wild bolt vs (252hp 252def, def+) jellicent 51.2%~60.9%
arcanine w/ flare blitz vs (252hp 252def) jellicent 28.5%~33.5%
arcanine w/ wild bolt vs (252hp 252def) jellicent 57%~67.6%
arcanine w/ flare blitz vs (252 hp 128def, def+) jellicent 29.5%~34.8%
arcanine w/ wild bolt vs (252hp 128def, def+) jellicent 58.9%~69.6%
arcanine w/ flare blitz vs (252 hp 128def) jellicent 32.4%~38.2%
arcanine w/ wild bolt vs (252hp 128def) jellicent 65.7%~77.3%
arcanine w/ flare blitz vs (252hp 4def, def+) jellicent 34.8~40.6%
arcanine w/ wild bolt vs (252hp 4def, def+) jellicent 69.3%~82.1%
arcanine w/ flare blitz vs (252hp 4def) jellicent 37.7%~44.4%
arcanine w/ wild bolt vs (252hp 4def) jellicent 76.3%~89.9%
also for lols:
arcanine w/ close combat vs (252hp 252def, def+) evolite chansey 57.1%~67.2%
I'm not even sure if I know what I'm saying myself, but to me It looks like arcanine could take out some walls unexpectedly in wifi. I think that's a good thing for him even if all my calcs are fairly circumstantial.

Also, in Sun, or Flash Flire boost Flare Blitz = 270 Base Power; stronger than Close Combat Super Effective. If both are activated then 405 Base Power; a 1HKO.

Why use Arcanine over Ape in OU? While he may be slightly bulkier, fire is a bad defensive typing anyway and with Ape's higher speed, he'll be taking fewer hits regardless. Also, Ape gets STAB on CC, has a higher Sp Attack and takes out the same pokes that Arcanine does.

Well, Arcanine does have a couple of useful traits, such as Intimidate and Extremespeed. In general, though, I agree. Infernape gets STAB on Close Combat, higher initial speed, ways to boost his stats (NP/SD), and a wider movepool including things like U-turn/Stealth Rock/Mach Punch/Vacuum Wave/Grass Knot/Stone Edge/EQ. You would really have to play to Arcanine's better bulk to have it not be outclassed.

Arcanine @ Sitrus Berry
255 Atk / 255 SpA
Jolly Nature
-Close Combat
-Flare Blitz
-Crunch
-ExtremeSpeed

Arcanine is noted for its high Attack and this set attempts to make the best of it. Its Close Combat can easily take out effective Rock-Ground walls like Rhyperior. Flare Blitz is its STAB move, Crunch is for OHKOing Alakazam, and ExtremeSpeed is just for it to have a powerful priority move.

Arcanine was already a pretty good pokemon but with the adition of Close Combat he will be really good. Not unstoppable but pretty good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)