Ask A Little Question, Get A Little Answer (Mark 1)

To me it seems that Eevee would be better in that role as it has superior attack and greater bulk. I would much rather use a Belly Drum + Extremespeed ziggy than CB.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Being choice locked into a normal move kinda sucks, too many ghosts/bronzor/rock types who just step in and set up/wall you forever. And I think several 'mons get significantly stronger Sucker Punches. It's not utterly horrible, and could take something out (frail sweeper without priority), but also not amazing and easy to revenge.

on the Yanma ban, why is it that they don't just ban the Abilty of speed boost instead of the pokemon(like how they banned DST from Clampearl but not it?) and make it only CE Yanma?

eric the espeon

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Banning a specific Pokemon/Ability combination is questionable at best, it opens the door for things like "no tangela+sunny day+chlorophyll", or to give an OU example "no Garchomp+Swords Dance". Banning DST is just like banning soul dew, it's a tier wide ban of an item anything can hold.

Alright, I'm getting ready to breed and EV Train my LC team IRL right now... I've got Eric the Espeon's LC EVing guide handy, but I just have a few more questions that I do't think were fully explained in there, as well as just some in-general questions...

- The 'Box Trick' for EVs works in all 4th-Gen games, right?
- Aside from Magikarp for Speed, what are the best low-level wild Pokemon to EV train for each stat? (in any 4th-gen game)
- On the Magikarp / Starly training charts, does the 'Level of Pokemon' column refer to Magikarp/Starly, or the Pokemon being trained?
- Why do I need to use Tamato Berries if I'm EV training a Pokemon that doesn't want Speed, and therefore won't be gaining any Speed EVs? (looking at the Munchlax example in the article)
- How can I clone Pokemon? Or, if I opt not to, does saving beforehand and EV training all at once work?

In case it helps, the Pokemon I'm planning to raise are Lead Kabuto, standard Paras, Sub-Gastly, LO Houndour, RP Aron, and Scarf Dratini.

And just one last question; which combination of EV spread and item is better on Aron, between investing 116 HP VS. 36 HP / 36 Def / 36 SDef and Lum Berry VS Life Orb? (Lum Berry would be to set up on Meowth that carry Hypnosis and to beat Duskull and stuff)

eric the espeon

Alright, I'm getting ready to breed and EV Train my LC team IRL right now... I've got Eric the Espeon's LC EVing guide handy, but I just have a few more questions that I do't think were fully explained in there, as well as just some in-general questions...

- The 'Box Trick' for EVs works in all 4th-Gen games, right?
I have been told several times that it does, and that the problem with EVing Lv. 100s is that they don't gain EVs not that the sets are not recalculated.
- Aside from Magikarp for Speed, what are the best low-level wild Pokemon to EV train for each stat? (in any 4th-gen game)
Don't bother with anything but 'karp, just use power items. Otherwise it's vastly slower/more complex.
- On the Magikarp / Starly training charts, does the 'Level of Pokemon' column refer to Magikarp/Starly, or the Pokemon being trained?
Level of wild Pokemon (karp/starly).
- Why do I need to use Tamato Berries if I'm EV training a Pokemon that doesn't want Speed, and therefore won't be gaining any Speed EVs? (looking at the Munchlax example in the article)
Magikarp gives Speed EVs, And you should train against Magikarp. therefore, you want to remove Speed Evs. Therefore, use Tamato.
- How can I clone Pokemon? Or, if I opt not to, does saving beforehand and EV training all at once work?
Easiest way to clone is to get a WiFier to do it for you. Or get AR/other hacking device.

And just one last question; which combination of EV spread and item is better on Aron, between investing 116 HP VS. 36 HP / 36 Def / 36 SDef and Lum Berry VS Life Orb? (Lum Berry would be to set up on Meowth that carry Hypnosis and to beat Duskull and stuff)
Unless you've got near perfect/perfect IVs, you'll want a different spread. But a point in each defense is worth much more than one HP. Lum seems overly specific, you're better off getting a sleep absorber and going with Oran or LO.

What would be the best way to go about team building in Little Cup? In OU/UU I choose a sweeper and build the team around helping that Pokemon sweep, is that a good method in LC?

My personal preference for LC teambuilding is to build it around immunities.

EDIT: HYU explains it better and less confusingly. But that's ^ my preference.

Personally, I actual use a method similar to what you suggested. What I usually do is pick a sweeper of choice, and then pick a couple (read: 1-2) Pokemon to help lure out / trap / weaken said sweeper's counters. After this, I pick a lead, and make a core from there out of the rest of the team. I always make sure to have at least one priority or scarfer to revenge.

eric the espeon

I tend to pick a theme (like rain or sash abuse) which has set counters, but once those are gone can walk over a normal team, then put a few Pokemon in specifically to deal with those counters. Relying on a single sweeper is generally a bad idea in LC, it's too easy to revenge kill almost everything (a few can almost pull off the "big main sweeper" role, like RainTyke, DDTini, and RPGligar, but even they can be beaten down by a moderately healthy team.).

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
I build my teams in different ways. I might go with what Heysup did, as I did with my current team - ScarfChop sweeps, Mankey lures out Ghosts, Munchlax Pursuits them and forms a strong core with Gastly and Gligar that gives plenty of immunities. Snover is a strong anti-lead that helps to patch up my ScarfGar weakness (seriously, it's nuts!).

Alternatively, some of my other teams use a facilitator and pair it with synergistic sweepers. For example, I have one team with Wynaut setting up Aron and Gligar while another focuses on crippling Munchlax with Duskull and then throwing Staryu, Snover and Scarf Gastly at them.

It really varies but it's similar to teambuilding in OU - except you have to make sure you have plenty of immunities as well as resists, because you can't rely on the resistances of frail pokes in LC. Only bulky things like Munchlax and Gligar can really be counted on to productively and consistently utilise their resistances - many LC sweepers are paper-frail and will be 2HKOd by resisted hits.

I'm not sure about the Shoddy people (since I don't Shoddy), but for the few Wi-Fier's that battle LC rules (or even if you battle only on Shoddy), What effects will a Beldum packing 2 strong STAB Attacks have on the LC format.

(I'm guessing the DestructoLax won't have much effect.)

I actually want to try Beldum, but even so, I doubt it'll ever become popular. It's definitely no longer in the same boat as Pokemon like Magikarp and Caterpie, but since it only has one possible moveset, it's still definitely restricted in its options, and therefore its performance. It completely fails to do anything to Houndour, one of the most common LC Pokemon, as well as Carvanha and a few other Pokes. I don't see it becoming popular or even all that viable.

As for DestructoLax....? I could see that happening. Although I think most people like their special-wallin' Munchlax too much to want to make him esplode.

Dubulous

I look just like Buddy Holly.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Beldum has always been able to know both Zen Headbutt and Iron Head (it can learn both moves though Platinum Move Tutors) and it hasn't seen much usage. There are much better options than Beldum in Little Cup.

Selfdestruct Munchlax is interesting, but it is illegal in conjunction with Pursuit, which is one of Munchlax's main moves.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
DestructoLax is bad for a couple of reasons. Selfdestruct isn't viable partly because Return already OHKOs a lot in Little Cup, while 2HKOing everything that doesn't resist it - and Munchlax has the coverage to take down the Rocks, Steels and Ghosts that do. Following on from this, the main reason is that it's illegal with Pursuit, meaning that Boomlax is a) unable to significantly hurt many Ghosts and b) Lax's typical main role, Ghost-trapping, is impossible.

Okay, this is more of a forum-related question, but I don't know where else to put it. x0

WhyTF isn't this group more active? :0 I mean, I know we have our own forums for analyses and stuff, but what about other non-competetive, LC-related topics? The NU players group, for instance, is still really active, and I just wonder why ours isn't.

EDIT: Another small collection of questions:

- who are the best LC Rapid Spinners?
- what are the best Pokemon to eliminate opposing priority-users? Anything and everything, really, although I know there's a crapton of priority-users out there... the more priority-users something can counter, the better.

....well, crap. I had some others, but I forgot. Dx Well, it's basically all team options-related stuff for the Charmander analysis, and outside of those three, I'm having some trouble finding others who'd be able to support him well. Bah... if I remember my other questions I'll come back. =___= ...maybe Diglett'd be good.

I was just looking at something and I wondered:

Why isn't Onix ever used in Little Cup? It seems like he'd be good. He's got decent speed for Little Cup and absolutely ridiculous defenses. He's not strong, but I feel like he could be a good supporter.

He has great defense, you mean. Onix suffers from the ubiquity of choice scarf in the LC metagame. Scarfed special attacks (as well as scarfchop, bane of rock types) are much more common here than anywhere else. Furthermore, Onix lacks the power to make an effective scarf set itself, meaning it can do one thing, outspeed, hit (somewhat) hard, or support, but you need to be able to do more than one of those to be a versatile threat.

Why is Yanma LC?
I mean, its defenses are mediocre, and its offense is like an OU Little Cup pokemon.
Can anyone explain this, its just that I have a shiny yanma, I want to Little Cupify

It's LC becuase it meets all the qualifications for an LC pokemon such as being able to evolve and in its lowest form possible.

Dubulous

I look just like Buddy Holly.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yanma is banned because of his ability to boost his speed for free, his ability to use Hypnosis with that speed, and his access to an all around great movepool that makes it simply overwhelming to face.

Okay, this is more of a forum-related question, but I don't know where else to put it. x0

WhyTF isn't this group more active? :0 I mean, I know we have our own forums for analyses and stuff, but what about other non-competetive, LC-related topics? The NU players group, for instance, is still really active, and I just wonder why ours isn't.

EDIT: Another small collection of questions:

- who are the best LC Rapid Spinners?
- what are the best Pokemon to eliminate opposing priority-users? Anything and everything, really, although I know there's a crapton of priority-users out there... the more priority-users something can counter, the better.
Bumping this because it didn't get answered. >o>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)