Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (CAP V. 3.0 READ THE OP!)

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Okay, thanks; I suppose I'll post it here. I've been on #cap and the showdown room asking, but to no real response yet. So, if anyone here can give me suggestions and help me out, that would be greatly appreciated. As of now, I fear that the concept might be too broad, but I'm not sure how to focus it without losing it altogether.

Name: Apparatus of Status

General Description: A Pokémon meant to showcase the effects of status-based moves, especially with the updated gen six mechanics.

Justification: Status inflicting moves are a common part of competitive battling, but there are many factors than can affect both the use and countering of status conditions: typing, abilities, held items, team synergy, etc. Poison and steel types are immune to poison, fire types are immune to burns; even new to X and Y, electric types are now immune to paralysis, and grass types are immune to the “spore” status moves. There are a plethora of abilities that can defend against certain status conditions, and prankster has proven to be an effective ability in inflicting status—but when these factors are all considered together, what type of status-minded CAP could be created?

Questions To Be Answered:

· How can teambuilding better prepare against status?

· Which aspects make a Pokémon a reliable status absorber?

· Which aspects make a Pokémon a reliable status inflictor?

· With different Pokémon being immune to different statuses, what battling strategies are employed in order to counter status?

· What new, innovative, or underused strategies might hit it big in response to inflicting/absorbing status in sixth gen?

· Can a single new inflictor or absorber or status affect how status is used within a metagame?

· How would a new viable status inflictor or absorber affect the usage of status-curing moves or items?

· What are the different factors that affect the usefulness of primary vs secondary status, or which factors affect the usefulness of a particular status compared to any other?

Explanation: When going through type and ability combinations, there seem to be some untapped pairings that can make a Pokémon shrug off the negative effects of common/viable status moves. Any fast sweeper that is of the electric type can now laugh at any attempts aimed at trying to make it paralyzed; as a result, immediately stopping its sweep becomes harder to do with status, especially so if it is a special sweeper and doesn’t mind the loss to its physical attack that burn could offer. A fast physical sweeper that is fire type doesn’t fear being burned, and if it has methods of ignoring paralysis, then it sits in a similar boat. Nowadays, grass types have a lot less to fear when it comes sleep, since the most reliable/common methods of sleep are spore or sleep powder (of course, hypnosis and dark void could still be used to put a grass type to sleep).

On the other hand, bulky Pokémon oftentimes care more about the residual damage from toxic or even burns. Magic guard seems to be an ability that is used to mitigate these effects, but that ability alone doesn’t prevent sleep, paralysis, freeze, and a whole list of secondary forms of status.

In terms of status inflicting, would having a wide status-based movepool help a Pokémon to efficiently inflict crippling status to multiple threats? Both prankster and serene grace could potentially be devastating abilities to inflict status with, given the proper moves.

Sorry if this explanation section is long-winded, but this showcases how many different options a status-minded CAP would have, and there are still many, many other noteworthy things that could be mentioned still. A CAP made from this concept could be a status inflictor, a status absorber/counter, or even a combination of both. Though the options resulting from this might be quite broad, they all converge of analyzing and studying how status plays its role with the updated sixth gen mechanics. One primary focus could turn into the combinations that type, abilities, and moves could have in order to make a CAP with status in mind.

Ok so let me explain once again: Submissions are made in threads specifically for submissions. These threads will not be opened until Policy Review stuff is done and a Topic Leader is chosen. So no submissions theads for anything unregarding pre evos are open right now. And seriously, be more patient. CAP projects arent something that is running all the time, there is usually some gap between projects. I cannot predict when a new CAP will start, but if you wanna know, lurk in the policy review subforum and youll likely get a rough idea on when it will happen.

Bull of Heaven

No one tried to submit a concept here; he's just asking for opinions on it.

The concept looks interesting, but a little vague. I got the impression that this Pokemon is supposed to be good at both stopping and using status, but that should be made clearer. I'd also be a little worried about how much we could actually gain from this concept, since the effects and strategies around status are already very well-known, and the concept doesn't seem on its face to generate much discussion outside of the typing and ability stages. I like the idea of exploring useful type/ability combinations, but there isn't enough there to keep an entire CAP process going. I do think this concept could probably work with some adjustments, but I'm not sure what those would be. Maybe if we dropped the part about stopping status (since there's probably less to explore there) and focused on making a Pokemon that specializes in spreading it?

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, I can agree that it might be a little vague, and that's one reason I was asking for opinions. Just to clarify, I'm not trying to submit this idea now and I know that submissions won't be open for quite a while (I already do lurk around enough to know this). I'm just trying to get a feel for what makes a good submission and asking for advice on how to focus down my idea to meet CAP standards.

Dropping the part about stopping status would probably make the discussion much more focused. I was trying to have a concept that left it open to having a Pokemon that could inflict OR stop status, and I was hoping either side would still allow for status to be researched. I suppose the basic workings of status might already be well known, but in particular the changes to electric and grass types were what got me interested in status again. If it could be said that stopping status has less to explore, then what potential things could be answered from a status inflictor? Looking through some of the CAP process steps that the concept is suppose to drive forward, I suppose most of them could still hold relation to a status inflictor, so that might be the better way to go about it in the end... Losing out on useful type combinations meant to stop status might go away from my initial inspiration, but focusing down a concept to fit CAP was my main reason for posting so I think that it might help me out in the end.

Thanks for your comments, and I'll try to mull things over and rework it. I'll try to use the irc more often and will use that avenue to ask any "not so simple" questions that I may have after this.

Hello, I am trying to make a pokemon for the CAP Project, but first I have some questions:

1. How do I get started?

2. What do I use to make the models?

3. Where to submit my design?

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello, I am trying to make a pokemon for the CAP Project, but first I have some questions:

1. How do I get started?

2. What do I use to make the models?

3. Where to submit my design?
Try reading the Newcomer's Guide first. Also, this post comes highly recommended.

If you still have questions, feel free to ask after reading the above.

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'm gonna nip this in the bud... this is not a discussion thread. There is no thread where you can post concept ideas for feedback. Try chatting on #cap, if you get no response, wait until the next project starts (while we're selecting our leadership even, to get a head start on the concept submission thread), people will be very open to discussing concepts then, if not now.

May I ask another question? I don't really get how the creation of "fake-mons" are started. Can anyone come up with an idea and start creating a pokemon with approval of Smogon?

Thanks, but what I need to know is whether an approval of Smogon is needed before starting the project.
Maybe I misinterpreted what you meant, and maybe I'm still misinterpreting it, but CAPs cannot be started by any individual person. There is a distinct process involved, and it is a community based process. Basically, if you are asking if you can just submit a concept for a Pokemon, have it approved by Smogon, and have it become a CAP, no you can't. If you are asking what is needed to start a CAP, CAPs are started by the community to gain more information about the current metagame. I'm going to post a few more links, hopefully they will answer your questions better than I can.

CAP Mission Statement
CAP Process Guide
CAP Articles

Maybe I misinterpreted what you meant, and maybe I'm still misinterpreting it, but CAPs cannot be started by any individual person. There is a distinct process involved, and it is a community based process. Basically, if you are asking if you can just submit a concept for a Pokemon, have it approved by Smogon, and have it become a CAP, no you can't. If you are asking what is needed to start a CAP, CAPs are started by the community to gain more information about the current metagame. I'm going to post a few more links, hopefully they will answer your questions better than I can.

CAP Mission Statement
CAP Process Guide
CAP Articles
Thank you! That's what exactly what I was looking for!

Also, how frequently are CAPs started by the community? About once in a month? And where is a place that would inform Smogon Users instantaneously of the creation of a new CAP? (sorry for asking so many questions.)

Also, how frequently are CAPs started by the community? About once in a month? And where is a place that would inform Smogon Users instantaneously of the creation of a new CAP? (sorry for asking so many questions.)
CAPs usually take quite a bit of time to complete (I've usually seen them take 3+ months), and aren't started immediately after the last one ends.

While such a place that would inform users of the creation of a new CAP does not (to my knowledge) exist, you could hang around the main forum/the CAP IRC channel (I believe that this is the correct link), as discussion is bound to be started at the beginning of a new CAP.

Finally, there's nothing wrong with asking questions; its good if you get the answers that you are looking for.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
AlphaValkyriesWolf

To add to what P2X7 said, the beginning of the creation of a new CAP will be announced on Smogon's front page (or at least, it has been for the last however-many) and you should be fairly able to tell when a new one has begun as the CAP forum will have a "CAP 1" thread as the most recently posted in thread. As to when it will likely happen, that will either be after the first round of OU suspect testing ends (I believe that currently Lucarionite, Deoxys-S and Genesect are being tested) or after we finish hammering out the details of how the project will be run in PRC - whichever finishes last.

And yes, CAP frequency varies wildly, but depends on the amount of PRC work that needs to be done - note that there were only 6 CAPs for the entirety of generation 5. Hopefully it will be more frequent in XY, but it's not something that can be easily estimated.

Thanks everyone for taking time to answer my question. (I've changed account), also, is anyone allowed to participate in the artwork & design of a CAP?

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yes. CAP projects are open to anyone who wishes to participate. So long as you follow the rules for any given stage, there are no qualifications needed to contribute.

Just wondering, in the hypothetical situation that we run out of original concepts, would we just do another concept over again (for example, Playing against Type with a different typing, or Cyclohm's concept with a different ability)?

Nyktos

Custom Loser Title
I don't know it's possible to actually run out of concepts, but it's certainly possible one might be reused. New versions of old concepts do get submitted from time to time, though I don't think we've actually done one as of yet.

Will the BSR calculations be changed before Gen VI CAP 1 is made? If so, will it be a mere number tweak or will it be a drastic change?

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
Will the BSR calculations be changed before Gen VI CAP 1 is made? If so, will it be a mere number tweak or will it be a drastic change?
Probably not

As in, the method of calculating them probably won't change. The formulae in the updated calculator for X and Y should be sufficient for its intended purpose.

This may sound a bit impatient of me, but will the Pre-Evolution Workshop work on Rebble and Bolderdash some time before Kalos CAP 1 starts?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)