Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (CAP V. 3.0 READ THE OP!)

How do I post artwork? I wanna make a design for CAP19 when the time is right so I need to learn how. (If this sounds stupid, I dunno, I REALLY suck at IT skills.)
You can upload the image you've created to an image hosting site like Imgur, right-click the picture after it has uploaded, copy it, and paste it right into the post. It's a WYSIWYG editor, so no need to know BBCode :)

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Would it be okay to submit any fan art of the current CAP's Art Submissions in the Kitchen, or would I have to wait until submissions are over?
Please do not post fanart in the kitchen until the art polls have ended. Your art may sway votes.

Might be a kind of strange question, but here goes. Let's say I've create 150 custom pokemon and I wanted to make a ladder where people could only battle with those 150. Is this possible with Pokemon Showdown? If not, what could I do?

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Might be a kind of strange question, but here goes. Let's say I've create 150 custom pokemon and I wanted to make a ladder where people could only battle with those 150. Is this possible with Pokemon Showdown? If not, what could I do?
Hey Saboros, that's not how CAP works. However, there are custom Pokemon Showdown clients that allow you to code and use your own Pokémon. Search "Dr. Fuji Labs" for one of the best examples. If you get permission from Zarel or somebody, you can program in your Pokémon to use on your own client. A better place for this question would be for someone who leads the Other Metagames section.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
This is less of a CAP related question. However, it's one I actually can answer, so I'll point you in the right direction. More or less, Saboros, you have to have some level of programming skills and access to your own server/client in order to go about it. For documentation on how to set up your server, go here: https://github.com/Zarel/Pokemon-Showdown. For documentation on how to set up your own client (you'll probably need access/space on a reliable host as well, which probably will cost money), go here: https://github.com/Zarel/Pokemon-Showdown-Client. And if you want to know how to actually code up Pokemon and formats/tiers, etc in Showdown's language, go here: https://gist.github.com/dtalley11/8789538.

Now, since that's all out of the way, I have to stress that this is not the place to ask further questions on the subject. Talking to the showdown coders when they aren't busy is probably your best bet to actually understand something if the links I've given you don't help. Short answer to your question however is yes, you can have your own Pokemon Showdown server/client and play around with your own fakemon there (example of one in existence is Fuji Labs, as wh0sy0urpapa mentioned). However, CAP is not the place to talk about your own personal creations.

Last edited:
So, you're saying that fans can't create Pokémon? Only Staff? This is dumb. What's the point of making forums about it, then? Why even make CAP Pokémon?

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
So, you're saying that fans can't create Pokémon? Only Staff? This is dumb. What's the point of making forums about it, then? Why even make CAP Pokémon?
Its a community project. Fans don't create them by them self and neither do staff. Check out the CAP process archive to see how its done.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
No. Pokemon are made by the community as a whole. Everyone can contribute, but no one creates their own individually. Additionally, this is a competitive project, so the goal is to learn about the competitive game, not to simply make Pokemon. I suggest you check out the Newcomer Guide if you have more questions.

What program or programs do people use to make the CAP sprites? Im interested in making sprites but not sure what is the best choice to go with. I tried regular MSpaint with a tutorial and didn't like it lol

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I use the XP version of MS Paint for static sprites. I prefer the Windows XP version because Windows 7 changes some features that I don't like. Other spriters use more specialized pixel programs such as GraphicsGale, and it's possible to make sprites in less specialized raster programs such as paint.net, Photoshop, or Paint Tool SAI. If MS Paint doesn't suit you, some of these programs--or many ones I haven't listed--may fits your needs.

Is there going to be a doubles CAP tier on showdown. I love some of the CAPs, but doubles would make it quite amazing. There has been a lot more doubles taking place after the VGC worlds 13 and 14. I would love to use some stuff like tomohawk in a doubles environment.

Tadasuke

Tuh-dah-skay
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Is there going to be a doubles CAP tier on showdown. I love some of the CAPs, but doubles would make it quite amazing. There has been a lot more doubles taking place after the VGC worlds 13 and 14. I would love to use some stuff like tomohawk in a doubles environment.
The current CAP Metagame is severely underplayed, so I don't see them adding another CAP tier that'll just be ignored.

What determines if a move is an attacking or non-attacking move?
I ask because rapid spin is considered the latter.

An attacking move is simply a move which has a primary purpose of dealing damage; straight up attacks like Thunderbolt, Flare Blitz, etc. Status moves or moves whose primary purpose is not to deal direct damage but have a secondary effect are considered non-attacking moves. For example, Rapid Spin isn't used for its ability to deal damage, but it's ability to remove hazards, which is why it's considered a non-attacking move.

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
In the ability thread, are we allowed to suggest one of the already made custom abilities? Same goes for moves in the movepool thread. (Please don't give me an answer of, "Your are not allowed to create custom moves/abilities, I already know that, I am just curious about the ones that have already been made in the past)

In the ability thread, are we allowed to suggest one of the already made custom abilities? Same goes for moves in the movepool thread. (Please don't give me an answer of, "Your are not allowed to create custom moves/abilities, I already know that, I am just curious about the ones that have already been made in the past)
Fairly sure the answer here is no. Essentially, CAP tries to make a Pokemon that could be introduced in the current generation based on what Game Freak has made available (this is the same reason why, even though egg move illegalities existed in previous generations, they're no longer legal for new CAPs). Although it wasn't that way to start with, CAP policy has basically crystalised into "if we can't achieve the concept while using only the tools Game Freak has given us, we've picked a bad concept".

Is there a place where the concept for each CAP is located, or do I just have to go through the process archive. I have a couple of concept ideas for the next CAP but want to make sure they haven't already been used.

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Is there a place where the concept for each CAP is located, or do I just have to go through the process archive. I have a couple of concept ideas for the next CAP but want to make sure they haven't already been used.
Unfortunately, the only place where you can find the concepts of each CAP is in the process archive. Or in the case of Volkraken and Plasmanta, just scroll down.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Spammernoob, it is very much possible that 3D models for the old CAPs will be made. In fact, here's a model for Malaconda that G0dsl4yer made a few months back:

There might be a new thread up sometime in the future in which interested individuals can work on 3D models for the former CAPs. Last PRC cycle, we talked about this possibility briefly, and we might even continue this conversation in the upcoming policy review. However, at this exact time, I think we're waiting on seeing how the Plasmanta modeling goes, and will probably use it to set up a general process and rendering standards or whatnot. I myself am not a modeler, but it definitely seems like Plasmanta might become sort of a process prototype, and after that's done we'll probably have our heads in a better place to understand what exactly to do with the past CAPs and their models :)

Tadasuke

Tuh-dah-skay
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Has there ever been or is it possible for there to come a point, under the current policies, for a CAP to be changed after finding it to be inadequate at fulfilling it's concept in a playtest?

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Has there ever been or is it possible for there to come a point, under the current policies, for a CAP to be changed after finding it to be inadequate at fulfilling it's concept in a playtest?
In the past it was, but nowadays the vast majority of the cap community is against revising old caps, so much infact that we undid almost every revision to caps previously done. So its not possible and likely wont be for a long time

Hello!
1) How do I use CAP Pokemon on my team on Showdown? It didn't let me use them on OU because they are 'not real Pokemon'
2) Where would I post ideas for future CAP projects?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)