Ask a Simple Question; Get a Simple Answer & General Resources (OU Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyktos

Custom Loser Title
Thank you! Another question: I know there is a website that you can check to see how many pokemon learn the same combination of moves. For example, I would be able to check how many pokemon can learn BoltBeam or SmashPass.
Veekun's advanced search has an option to do that. However, it doesn't work perfectly as it doesn't factor in pre-evos. So for example it will tell you that nothing learns SmashPass at all, because Clamperl learns Shell Smash while Gorebyss and Huntail learn Baton Pass (and Smeargle, of course, naturally only learns sketch).

Outside of Rapid Spin and Volt Switch, as well as Toxic Spikes, what are the benefits of using Forretress over Skarmory?
Rapid Spin and TSpikes are really the only reasons to use Forretress over Skarmory (or Ferrothorn for that matter). Forretress does have slightly higher physical bulk and can hit Magnezone and Heatran with Earthquake, though.

Outside of Rapid Spin and Volt Switch, as well as Toxic Spikes, what are the benefits of using Forretress over Skarmory?
Gyro ball hit's hard. Skarmory is also weak to electric, so can be a problem if your teams weak to rain.

But generally you've listed the MAIN differences, although they generally have slightly different roles as Skarmory learns whirlwind.

What are some of the best Pokemon to pair up with Lucario, as in they help lure and eliminate his counters, etc.?
It depends on what set your Lucario is running. In general, getting past Gliscor is Lucario's biggest problem, so anything that can lure him in and smack it with a surprise HP Ice is a good lure. This also helps against Dragonite, who can survive anything from Lucario but an Ice Punch and KO back. A Pursuit trapper helps with killing Gengar is you aren't running double priority.

It depends on what set your Lucario is running. In general, getting past Gliscor is Lucario's biggest problem, so anything that can lure him in and smack it with a surprise HP Ice is a good lure. This also helps against Dragonite, who can survive anything from Lucario but an Ice Punch and KO back. A Pursuit trapper helps with killing Gengar is you aren't running double priority.
I'm planning on running a standard swords dance set of SD, CC, ESpeed, and Crunch

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't know why you would run Crunch , I guess to hit Jelly, but I would say Ice Punch or Bullet Punch would be better to hit Gliscor or Terrakion

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey, is it possible to re download PO1, I really hate PO2 and i cant figure out how to go back to the original.
You can re download PO 1, the only problem with that is everyone has pretty much moved on to PO 2 so theres only around 100 people on the PO 1 server where as there are around 1,000 on the PO 2 server. I still use PO 1 just because I like their teambuilder a little better in some cases, although now I just use Showdown's anyways. Sorry I rambled, heres where you can get PO 1 again: www.pokemon-online.eu/download It's at the very bottom under Legacy Version

Hi guys. What types of teams are better for a beginner to start with? What are some easy to use Pokemon that you would recommend for someone entering the competitive scene?

Hi guys. What types of teams are better for a beginner to start with? What are some easy to use Pokemon that you would recommend for someone entering the competitive scene?
Well an really nice and easy type of team to do is an offensive Rain team since they tend to be fairly formulaic and easy to play. As for individual Pokemon, just use common stuff that doesn't require a lot of prediction like Choice Specs Tornadus-T, rather than worrying about all sorts of niche sets.

Don't worry to much about it though, just throw a team together and start playing. You'll learn the ropes better through practice than anything else. Also, you'd do well to read the various articles on the site.

Another idea if you're more confused by teambuilding than anything else, you can steal someone else's team from the RMT forums and use them until you learn the ropes. Just reading around the RMT forums itself can give you some ideas as well, without having to directly copy and paste anything.

This is kind of stupid and vague but is DD T-Tar viable anymore? I never see him, but I always loved running it during the beginning of Black and White. Obviously it depends on your team and how you support it, but is it outclassed by other sweepers?

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This is kind of stupid and vague but is DD T-Tar viable anymore? I never see him, but I always loved running it during the beginning of Black and White. Obviously it depends on your team and how you support it, but is it outclassed by other sweepers?
I don't necessarily feel that it's not viable, it's always been viable and thats why an analysis for it is on the site. I feel like you don't see it enough because Tyranitar pretty much always has something better to be doing. In sand T-Tar can become an amazing special wall and is also great as a pursuit trapper with or without choice band. So to answer your question properly I would say: no he isn't outclassed by other sweepers necessarily, he just has a bigger and better job to do for the teams he's on.

Another viability question:

Could Crobat run a physically defensive set utilising moves such as roost, toxic, superfang, bravebird, whirlwind, haze, confuse ray?

Great typing and reasonable bulk already... I guess the downside is that most fighting types like to carry rock moves.

While I'm hesitant to say he's not viable at all, there are very definite issues:
-His lack of good resists means that it can be hard to bring him in.
-His low speed means that nearly all Scarfers outspeed him even after 1 DD.
-He's also easily revenged due to being weak to pretty much every priority move commonly used. (Bullet Punch and Mach Punch being the two most relevant)
-He has some 4MSS, wanting both Fire Punch/EQ to deal with Steel types an Aqua Tail/Ice Punch for bulky ground types.

Combine that with the demand for using Ttar in other roles, as Kiyo pointed out, and having to compete with very powerful, potent sweepers, and DDTar just isn't going to be used very much.

EDIT:

Could Crobat run a physically defensive set utilising moves such as roost, toxic, superfang, bravebird, whirlwind, haze, confuse ray?

Great typing and reasonable bulk already... I guess the downside is that most fighting types like to carry rock moves.
85/80/80 bulk is too low to really count as reasonable, he's SR weak, and a Fighting resist doesn't outweigh his numerous weaknesses. So no, that's not really viable.

I haven't used defensive or support Crobat in BW but it worked just fine when I used it in DPP, and I can only assume it still works to some extent. Relevant moves: Haze, Taunt, Confuse Ray, Whirlwind, Super Fang, Tailwind, Roost, U-Turn, Torment. You could consider Honchkrow for the same role minus a few moves, namely Super Fang

Kiyo

the cowboy kid

You can if you really want, It's outclassed by skarmory and gliscor for sure though as a defensive wall. And Crobats 85 / 80 / 80 Defenses are nothing to brag about. Its real niche is as a stall breaker, with access to taunt and base 130 speed not to mention toxic and super fang coupled with roost. The standard set in this case is definitely the superior set.

Thadeous Oakley

I have a specific question regarding my user account, but I don't know where or whom to ask. I know this isn't the place for it, my apologies, but the FAQ just doesn't cover it. Whelp.

I am trying to build a team around the status spreading capacity of double status Ammonguss. (spore + stun spore + clear smog + giga drain). In general, I want to build a weatherless heavy offense team. So, what do you guys think would be good team-mates to ammoonguss?

Another thing, I used a sun team in B/w1 which got me to 1300 on the PO server. It was specially def foretress, sunny day + sbeam tales, cb terrakion, chlorosaur, bulky volcarona and support Lilligant. Unfortunately this team gets ripped apart in the new metagame. It is hard to defeat rain teams especially with scarf politoed everywhere. Dugtrio and tornadus-T are also big pains. I have no switch-in into the latter and am forced to gamble by sending in ninetales, who takes a chunk from hurricane if it hits. And these mons and rain are so common that I have been dropping points like hell. So, what changes should I make to my team, so that I can take on these threats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)