Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 22 (READ THE OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Critical Hits:

Is it ever possible to have >50% to crit?
How many levels do Lansat Berry, Scope Lens, and Razor Claw add?
What about focus energy? Is that Baton Passable? Is it still in effect even after you get a crit?
Does Lucky Punch work for Blissey as well as Chansey?
Would I be laughed off of ShoddyBattle if my team included both Chansey and Farfetch'd? :toast:

The credits would probably be only good for his shop unless his partner agrees that you can transfer the credits over to his shop as well.

How would I go about getting my AR to work for HG? It doesn't have the game by default, and whenever I insert HG into my AR'ed DS it restarts.

It should come with a list of games everytime you plug it into a computer that is connected to the internet. Otherwise, you go down to the bottom right box thing (where it has like your cheat codes and stuff) look up the game code thing on google and enter that under the "add new game" option. I hope that explained it, just VM if it wasn't clear.

Thanks, I tried that, but still no luck. Would it be because my version is australian (as opposed to american)? My pearl version is imported from the US, but I bought HG here.

What would you guys suggest for optimal in-game catches and leveling as the game progresses? (Heart Gold) Stuff to get before each gym that I'll want for the whole game. Preferably when to get them and when to evolve them if anyone would want to be so nice as to take the time....

ex. "Get a Mareep before Falkner, let it evolve at lv 15 when it gets there but keep it as Flaaffy through lv 31 so it has Thundershock a few levels earlier"
"Don't bother with Geodude/Graveler, they're outclassed by x which you can get later in the game and have at a high enough level for x battle"
"Try to have your Pokemon at x for your battle against x"

I just can't seem to figure out a good runthrough plan for HG which is unusual. I can't make up my mind on a few different things so any kind of opinions would be appreciated and a full runthrough either posted or PM'd to me would probably get you something nice from me once HGSS RNG is cracked :)
This thread might be able to help.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68448

If I were going to make the "perfect" in game team, I would probably go with something like:

Cyndaquil/Tododile
Kangaskhan
Geodude
Zubat/Kenya (it's a Spearow)
Mareep
Red Gyarados/Ho-oh/Arcanine

Scyther (with Technician) and Pinsir could replace one of the Pokemon in there if you can get one at the Bug Catching Contest but I'm not sure which one. Edit: Scyther would probably work best over one of the Flyers but then you'd need an HM slave for Fly.

Walkthrough (*spoilers*):

Cyndaquil and Tododile are the best starters so you should get them over Chikorita. Cydaquil is a Fire type which is rare early on and works better if you want the Red Gyarados but Tododile has a better level up movepool. Kangaskan is available in the first Pokewalker course and the Pokewalker has a 50% chance to choose it. You have a 50% chance to find one after you walk 3000 steps, which isn't much if you take it to work/school etc. You have a good chance of getting one with Scrappy and since it has almost as high Atk as Feraligatr and Fake Out, you shouldn't have any problems killing things. Geodude is the best Rock-type in the game, IMO, since it also gets Magnitude and Earthquake by level up as well as Selfdestruct and Explosion. It also works well against the half of the gyms and you can Paralyze and Explode on a tough opponent. Crobat is one of the best Flying-types and although Zubat is rather bad at first, it can easily take down Sprout Tower (except for Hoothoots) and once it learns Bite at Lv. 13 and Wing Attack at Lv. 17, it becomes a much better. Kenya is the Spearow that you get from the guard right above Goldenrod that you're supposed to give to the sleepy guy next to Violet City (he only gives you Rest so don't worry about keeping Kenya). It starts out at Lv. 20 and already has Pursuit and Aerial Ace. Mareep is the best Electric-type since it evolves fairly early and they're really aren't many good Electrics. It also learns Thunder Wave early which helps out slow Pokemon like Geodude. The choice for the last slot is mostly dependant on which starter you chose so you don't have two Fire/Water types. The Red Gyarados can be obtained at the Lake of Rage at Lv. 30 while your Pokemon should be in their mid 20's and the trainers will be using Pokemon in their low 20's. It will start out with Dragon Rage which will easily 2HKO all opponents Pokemon for a while. Ho-oh is obtained late but is definately the best Fire-type. It starts out at Lv. 45 while you're Pokemon won't be level at Lv. 40 unless you grinded with them. Arcanine is obtained earlier so it's a good alternative and you can evolve Growlithe right when you get it by getting a Fire Stone from the Pokeathlon.

Start the game and either get a Cyndaquil or Tododile. Use the Pokewalker to get a Lv. 8 Kangaskan. Head up to Route 46 to catch a Geodude. Head to Dark Cave to get a Zubat (if you want one). Capture a Mareep on below Violet City. Head to Sprout Tower and get Rock Smash. Level up Geodude to Lv. 11 to get Rock Throw and/or level up Mareep to Lv. 10 to get Thundershock and defeat Falkner. Head to Azalea. Defeat Bugsy with Quilava, Geodude, and possibly Flaafy. Teach Quilava/whatever Cut (or Headbutt), it'll apriciate a better Normal attack than Quick Attack. I think the Soothe Bell is in Ilex Forrest so you should get it and equip it to Zubat. Make sure to take Zubat on atleast on walk in the Pokewalker and give it a haircut every day you're in Goldenrod. Get Fire Blast from the Department Store for Quilava/Growlithe and Thunder for Flaafy, you can get Return for Kangaskan as well if it's Sunday. Crocanaw/Gyarados could possibly use Blizzard but they'll get Ice Fang anyway. Teach Geodude Rock Smash. Get Kenya. Defeat Whitney's Clefairy with whatever and defeat her Miltank with Geodude's Rock Smash. The Defense drops will ensure it doesn't get to stall with Milk Drink. Participate in the Bug Catching Contest and get a Fire Stone for Growlithe from the Pokeathlon on Tuesday. Get Dig in the National Park and teach it to something. Catch a Growlithe, evolve it, and teach it Fire Blast. Head to Burned Tower to do all that stuff and head to the Dance Studio to get Surf. If you've raised your Zubat well, it should evolve into a Golbat at Lv. 22 and a Crobat at Lv. 23. Defeat Morty with Crobat/Kenya and Kangaskan since it will have Bite and Scrappy. Head out of Ecruteak to the right and a Hiker will give you Strength; teach it to Kangaskan. Head to the Lake of Rage to capture Gyarados; teach it Surf. At this point you can either head to Olivine City or stay and fight Team Rocket/Pryce. Evolve Geodude into Graveller and Golem when you can. Head up the Lighthouse and learn of the situation. head to Cianwood City and defeat Chuck with Crobat/Kenya and Flaafy/Crocanaw/Gyarados for Poliwrath. You can use Selfdestruct on his Primeape provided Double Team doesn't make it miss. Get Fly and teach it to Crobat/Kenya. Fly to Olivine and defeat Jasmine's Magnemites with Graveller and defeat her Steelix with Quilava/Crocanaw/Arcanin/Gyarados, just watch out for Rock Throw. Fly to Mahogany and defeat Pryce with Flaafy and your Fire and Water-types. Defeat Team Rocket in Goldenrod. Fly back to Mahogeny and head to Blackthorn. Let Flaafy learn Discharge before evolving it. Make sure Gyarados/Feraligatr have Ice Fang/Blizzard. Defeat Clair's Gyarados and Kingdra with Ampharos and defeat her Dragonair with Gyarados/Feraligatr. You can always use Selfdestruct on her Kingdra if you Paralyzed it with Discharge/Thunder Wave. Get the Extremespeed Dratini. Capture Ho-oh. Head to the Pokemon League. Get Earthquake in Victory Road and teach it to something. I don't really remember what the Elite Four/Kanto Gym Leaders have but it should be pretty intuitive to defeat them.

This team doesn't really need HM Slaves because aside from Cut and Whirlpoool (which are only used once), all the HMs work well on one of the Pokemon. If you do manage to get a Technician Scyther, teach it Rock Smash for coverage.

1. What are IV Battles?
2. How complicated would manipulating RNG be to learn for someone who's never read about it or tried it before?
3. Assuming I learned how to abuse RNG, how much time investment would be required for a full team? Assuming some shiny, all perfect IVed if that's possible.

haunter

Banned deucer.
How do I "bumb" a rmt and what does it does?
Maybe you mean "bump". It basically means posting into your thread to ask for more people to rate your team, after the thread has been inactive for a few days.

1. What are IV Battles?
2. How complicated would manipulating RNG be to learn for someone who's never read about it or tried it before?
3. Assuming I learned how to abuse RNG, how much time investment would be required for a full team? Assuming some shiny, all perfect IVed if that's possible.
1) wifi battles where the Pokemon are automatically leveled to 100, so you can see their final stats and hence deduce their IVs.
2) quite a bit, at least in my humble opinion.
3) that's completely subjective.

What would the bare minimum ammount of EV's need to be (on Gyarados) to garantee an OHKO on 252 HP/4 SpDef Adamant (or Brave) Scizor with a neutral SpAtk natured Gyarados' Fire Blast without Stealth Rock damage?

Skymin_Flower

It's Seed Flare time.
What would the bare minimum ammount of EV's need to be (on Gyarados) to garantee an OHKO on 252 HP/4 SpDef Adamant (or Brave) Scizor with a neutral SpAtk natured Gyarados' Fire Blast without Stealth Rock damage?
160 EVs are required.

Based on opininon, what is the best tier to begin with?
I would say OU, as it is the most balanced, and has a large userbase, so there will be lots of people to play against.

Alright, I'm having some real difficulty finding a moon stone in SS, can someone tell me where the best/easiest way to find one is, I really want to evolve my nidorino!? Also, has anyone caught an elekid with the pokewalker int he suburban area, I wasted 300 watts on the damn thing (I had over 15,000 steps) and all I got was magnemites!

There is really no need for this though. Waterfall does a tonne especially with LO to Scizor anyway
furthermore Gyarados is probably the best Scizor counter in the game so there is no need to fear it in return. Finally you do not want to invest in its SpA which is appaling and will in the long run destroy its overall efficacy.

If you keep getting Magnemites, even with !!!, try taking the pokemon out and putting another one in. You get one pokemon from each group that will appear. Magnemite is actually in both the A and B groups, so make sure you're getting one even with three !!!

Speaking of the pokewalker, how does the leveling up work? I've only ever gotten one level from it, no matter how much or how little I walk.

If you keep getting Magnemites, even with !!!, try taking the pokemon out and putting another one in. You get one pokemon from each group that will appear. Magnemite is actually in both the A and B groups, so make sure you're getting one even with three !!!
Thanks, I'll give that a try, see if it works!

Speaking of the pokewalker, how does the leveling up work? I've only ever gotten one level from it, no matter how much or how little I walk.
You can only gain one level maximum from each time you put a Pokemon in the Pokewalker.

What happens if a pokemon with a Choice Band uses Fake Out?
It uses Fake Out regularly on the first turn (and gets a power boost) and fails on all subsequent turns.

@Hutch3: The Pokewalker randomly selects either Magnemite or Elekid when you put the Pokemon in the Pokewalker. The other one will not be found during that stroll. Also, IIRC, Elekid can only be found after about 5,000 steps but once you get that many it has about a 30% chance to appear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)