Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 23 (READ THE OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just started playing my SoulSilver version and I want my starter Pokemon (Cyndaquil) to gain levels a bit faster. I have the items I need to trade over to the game from one of my other games, but I was wondering this: what's the difference between EXP. Share and this 'Lucky Egg' item I keep hearing about? What would be better to give my Pokemon a bit more EXP during battles so it can gain levels faster?

I've heard that this Lucky Egg item gives you EXP also and so does EXP. Share. But what would be the better item to raise my in-game team Pokemon to higher levels with one of those two items?

Also, just a side note, this is just in-game 'mon stuff; don't really mind if my in-game team has the wrong Natures or gains the wrong investment of EV's, etc.

Thanks in advance.

~ Aether Nexus

So I just started playing my SoulSilver version and I want my starter Pokemon (Cyndaquil) to gain levels a bit faster. I have the items I need to trade over to the game from one of my other games, but I was wondering this: what's the difference between EXP. Share and this 'Lucky Egg' item I keep hearing about? What would be better to give my Pokemon a bit more EXP during battles so it can gain levels faster?

I've heard that this Lucky Egg item gives you EXP also and so does EXP. Share. But what would be the better item to raise my in-game team Pokemon to higher levels with one of those two items?

Also, just a side note, this is just in-game 'mon stuff; don't really mind if my in-game team has the wrong Natures or gains the wrong investment of EV's, etc.

Thanks in advance.

~ Aether Nexus
Exp. Share works only when you have 2 or more Pokemon. You give the Exp. Share to a weak Pokemon that can't fend for itself and let it leech 1/2 the experience gained from a stronger Pokemon beating others to a pulp. Pokemon B has Exp. Share. Pokemon A kills a Pokemon that would normally give 500 exp. but Pokemon A gets 250 exp. points and Pokemon B gets 250 exp. points.

The Lucky Egg, however, works for a single Pokemon. If you attach it to the Pokemon, it will gain 1.5x more experience than it normally would. So instead of 500 exp. points, it would gain 750 exp. points.

Is the effect of Water Sport baton pass-able?
That reminds me of my own question: so many pokemon that can use Water Sport are already water pokemon, so what's the practical use for a move that weakens the power of a type that's already weak against its target?

People keep telling me to use Shadow Ball over Dark Pulse on Lucario, but if they have pretty much the same coverage and the same power, then what makes Shadow Ball objectively better than Dark Pulse.
Well, Shadow Ball's secondary effect is a 20% chance of dropping the target's Special Defense, and Dark Pulse's is a 20% chance of flinching. Perhaps its so the added effect will work on enemies that are faster than Lucario?

Thanks in advance.

~ Aether Nexus
Experience Share does not increase exp at all. It gives the holder a share of experience as if it had participated in battle. If the holder DID participate in battle and switched out, the pokemon gets TWO shares of experience. For example...

Say you have your Cyndaquil lead, holding an Exp. Share. You have it switch to your Hoothoot. When the battle ends, it is worth 60 exp. Cyndaquil would get 40 exp, and Hoothoot 20. (Normally it would be 30 and 30).

Lucky Egg, on the other hand, actually DOES give a 50% boost to experience. Let's look at the above sample again:

Cyndaquil leads, holding a Lucky Egg. You switch to Hoothoot. The battle ends, and is worth 60 exp. Cyndaquil would get 45 exp, and Hoothoot 30. More experience for everyone!

Now if you REALLY wanna boost your exp gains, use a pokemon from a foreign real-world nation (like Japan). Those gain a BOATLOAD of experience after battle, and the boost DOES stack with Lucky Egg!

IIRC, other things that affect gaining experience are different trainer numbers and different regions (i.e. a Hoenn pokemon in Sinnoh).

This is a question for UUer's, since you don't have a personal simpleq/simplea thread.
What is Torterra used for in UU? Venasaur outclasses it as a sweeper, and I can't see it making a truly effective wall.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
This is a question for UUer's, since you don't have a personal simpleq/simplea thread.
What is Torterra used for in UU? Venasaur outclasses it as a sweeper, and I can't see it making a truly effective wall.
Rock Polish, Stealth Rock, Twave and Electric immunity, Rock Slide/Stone Edge.

I've got a baton pass question. Say pokemon X uses Agility then baton passes to pokemon Y. Pokemon Y uses Swords Dance then baton passes to pokemon Z, will pokemon Z have the boosted speed from Agility and Attack from Swords Dance or just the attack? Likewise, what happens if pokemon X uses Agility then baton passes and then pokemon Y baton passes to pokemon Z later on, will the stat ups carry over because you baton passed both times instead of switching or is it lost from one baton pass to the other?

Just wondering if someone who knows a lot more about pokemon than I do can critique my battle tower team that I'm thinking about making, I'd like to get some input before I waste my time training. Just send me a PM if you are willing to and I'll give you the details of it. Thanks!

Ok so frankly, I'm sucky at making new teams. I'm trying though, and here's what I've come up with:

Taunt/Fake out lead Weavile
Life Orb Moltres
SR/Roar Swampert
Curse/Sleep Talk/ Rest/ Umbreon
Choice Scarf Electivire (Adamant)
Choice Scarf Magnezone (HP Fire) [Crucial with Umbreon as it gets rid of Scizor - who completely ruins its ability to sweep]

Any glaring weaknesses? I'm having trouble with Crobats, Swamperts, and Celebi (which is why I got the Moltres [although the 4x SR weakness might just be why it's in UU])

Heya, looks like my question goes in here. So then~

What happens if a pokemon if asleep and used sleep talk and that move selects dig, fly or bounce? What happens to the sleep timer? Would it affect the amount of turns until it wakes up?

Any if this is the wrong place or too tricky a question, someone point me to the right place. Thanks for reading.

Ericcc, I'm not too sure in detail, but your team might have some difficulty with Lucario and Breloom once Moltres is out of the picture, and with a huge Stealth Rock Weakness AND Life Orb, that Moltres won't be around long

ManWithaPlan, that question does go here, but I'm really not sure about the answer

Ericcc, I'm not too sure in detail, but your team might have some difficulty with Lucario and Breloom once Moltres is out of the picture, and with a huge Stealth Rock Weakness AND Life Orb, that Moltres won't be around long

ManWithaPlan, that question does go here, but I'm really not sure about the answer
Yep as it did in my previous battle. I had to run once the guy sent out Breloom, lol,
Thanks for your help. I think I'm going to start over

How much +atk is needed for a swampert to OHKO Salamence with an ice punch after intimidate and stealth rock damage?
You'd need a +attack nature along with pretty much 220 Attack EVs to guarantee at least 75% damage to Salamence with Ice Punch, factoring in Intimidate.

Without Intimidate, you don't need any +attack nature nor any attack EVs to KO Salamence with Ice Punch after Stealth Rock.

I've got a baton pass question. Say pokemon X uses Agility then baton passes to pokemon Y. Pokemon Y uses Swords Dance then baton passes to pokemon Z, will pokemon Z have the boosted speed from Agility and Attack from Swords Dance or just the attack? Likewise, what happens if pokemon X uses Agility then baton passes and then pokemon Y baton passes to pokemon Z later on, will the stat ups carry over because you baton passed both times instead of switching or is it lost from one baton pass to the other?
Pokemon Z will have both boosts.

That is why gimmicky baton pass teams with smeargle leads who sleep, ingrain, batonpass to scizor/gliscor who swords dance+Agility, batonpass to metagross and game over.

A question for both UU battlers and NU battlers,

What speed should an explosion based (non choiced) Skuntank hit in NU? And what speed in UU? Jolly 252 isn't outspeeding much of note, and I'm hesitant to make him adamant with no speed investment. Skuntank has room for bulk, I don't want to waste EVs on speed I don't need.

does anyone have an extra ditto or torchic??
You can find one in the WiFi section. Just ask. ^_^

A question for both UU battlers and NU battlers,

What speed should an explosion based (non choiced) Skuntank hit in NU? And what speed in UU? Jolly 252 isn't outspeeding much of note, and I'm hesitant to make him adamant with no speed investment. Skuntank has room for bulk, I don't want to waste EVs on speed I don't need.
260 (232 speed EV + Neutral nature) beats neutral natured base 80 Speed Pokémon. You can use Jolly and aim for 290
(232 speed EV + positive nature) to out run the base 95 Speed group, assuming they don't have a boosting nature.

Retarded Newb here.

Could any kind soul please point me in the proper direction, for where I would ask for RNG help?

This is the second time I've advanced the RNG 1370 times for a properly IV'd Riolu, and I thought it might be a good idea to ask the experts and veterans over here, by explaining in detail my recording process (how I'm tallying my Journal Flips), what's on my journal pages, etc, in hopes of finding out what I did wrong.

Thanks again.

I'm sorry for asking again, but does anyone know where I would post for this? Just a simple point in the right direction would do. Thanks!

little question that has being bothering me for some time.

so hax is considered luck, we all know that, and when something with less then 50% chance of happening happens, its considered hax am i right? so when something like jirachi use iron head, its hax when it DONT flinch, and its normal to flinch, same for togekiss and skymin air slash who while dont have the same 60% chance of flinching because of accuracy, still got more then 50%.

so my question is:does the fact a pokemon hax you to the point its not considered hax anymore prove the pokemon is broken or gamefreak just like to make us suffer?

little question that has being bothering me for some time.

so hax is considered luck, we all know that, and when something with less then 50% chance of happening happens, its considered hax am i right? so when something like jirachi use iron head, its hax when it DONT flinch, and its normal to flinch, same for togekiss and skymin air slash who while dont have the same 60% chance of flinching because of accuracy, still got more then 50%.

so my question is:does the fact a pokemon hax you to the point its not considered hax anymore prove the pokemon is broken or that gamefreak just like to make us suffer?
I'd go with the second part. Game-freak likes to make us suffer! lol Not really! Serene Grace haxing is like tossing a coin with 10% luck on the opposite side! Pokemon such as Jirachi haxed too much with Iron Head that most players don't complain when they flinch! I've seen many people complain about one critical hit or even a freeze! It's pretty much haxing to the point where we all agree that there no point in complaining and we need to live with it! That's what happened to the Serene Grace users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)