Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Mark II - Read the FAQ in the Opening Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why isn't Umbreon used more often? It has 394 max HP, 350 max Defense and 394 max SpDef, semi-reliable recovery in Wish (and IMO, Wish is a much better recovery move for the Curse set than a Recover-clone could be), Curse to boost its likely-uninvested Defense (and Attack, so you can do a bit of damage) with Baton Pass to pass the Curse boosts to something holding a White Herb, and Inner Focus to stop Haxrachi and Togekiss. Dark typing isn't that bad defensively, although it's weak to Conk and Scizor (and Tyranitar's Superpower), which sucks. It's basically a Dark-type Cresselia, which is good IMO.
Umbreon may have high defensive stats but that can't save it from the fact that its just plain outclassed by the wall commonly seen in OU due to their higher stats, better movepools, and superior typing. For example, Blissey is a better special wall due to its higher Sp. Def and incredible HP as is Jirachi thanks to its much better typing. Meanwhile, Ferrothorn just works much better as a wall in general seeing how it resists the same Dark/Ghost-type attacks that Umbreon does while gaining several key resistances and only having one extra weakness which can be easily covered with the right teammates. Overall, there's nothing that Umbreon can do which these walls can't do a much better job of outside of using Baton Pass.

The main reason is because Umbreon's extremely shallow moveset makes it nothing more than set-up fodder for some of OU's top threats including Excadrill, Scizor, and Terrakion.
The same could be said for Chansey in UU, but people just use the argument "Oh, but it can just pass Wish to a counter" which I guess holds a bit of truth (but still isn't a very good argument).

About half of the moves it can learn are Physical. Excluding those, half of the moves are Special attacks which it can't use. Excluding those, half of the remaining moves are stupid, like Defence Curl. About 1/10th of its movepool is viable, lol
The 1/10th is all it needs to be extremely good. Umbreon isn't extremely good with its movepool. Another example of this is Excadrill with its movepool of like 6 moves.

What's a good possible moveset and EV spread for a Timid Venusaur that has no acces to a Hidden Power? (except for Dark, but I don't see any use in that).

What's a good possible moveset and EV spread for a Timid Venusaur that has no acces to a Hidden Power? (except for Dark, but I don't see any use in that).
Timid? thats a hard one. Id say you should max out your special attack first to ensure good kills. Im looking at his movepool and there is not a whole lotta good special attacks it has that are not grass and poison. Why not just give it hp dark to kill chandelures and gengars that wall your STABS. If you really need it. Also to ensure killa on LATI@S after a growth. 208 EVs in speed will let you outspeed scarfed Latias in the sun(if you have Chlorophyll) If not, then dont let the timid nature go to waste. Max out your speed to kill pokemon good and fast.

The 1/10th is all it needs to be extremely good. Umbreon isn't extremely good with its movepool. Another example of this is Excadrill with its movepool of like 6 moves.
It's not exactly the movepool that sets them apart..
Both have Wish/Protect, both have Toxic, both have a cleric move, both have Substitute, both have reliable recovery (in UU), both have a decent method of offense; pretty much what differentiates them are their stats (Umbreon's stats seem more well-rounded at first glance, although it's not almost-immune to Special attacks like Chansey is), Chansey's access to Eviolite, and their typing.

To be honest, though, Curse is a good move for Umbreon to use to help its Attack and weaker Defense, and is obviously not an option for Chansey (even if she could learn it).

It's not exactly the movepool that sets them apart..
Both have Wish/Protect, both have Toxic, both have a cleric move, both have Substitute, both have reliable recovery (in UU), both have a decent method of offense; pretty much what differentiates them are their stats (Umbreon's stats seem more well-rounded at first glance, although it's not almost-immune to Special attacks like Chansey is), Chansey's access to Eviolite, and their typing.

To be honest, though, Curse is a good move for Umbreon to use to help its Attack and weaker Defense, and is obviously not an option for Chansey (even if she could learn it).
In addition, pokemon like Scizor, the fire moth, or Speclens Yanmega dont screw over chansey since it has better typing and thunderwave.
Plus umbreon cant BP mean looks anymore, only curses, which all the eeveelutions can somewhat do.
Umbreon is cool and all, but it could be so much better.

Help plz im new ;p

ive just gotten white and beat the elite 4 etc. and i would like to start battling competitively as ive never done it before so i was just wondering if someone could suggest a simple yet effective team to get me jumpstarted into competitive play would be much appreciated thanks :)

ps only pokes available to obtain from pkmn white plz as its my only ds cartridge.

I just had some confusing experiences with the Dream World. Here's what happened:

1. I navigated through the Windswept Sky until I was one space away from the Tree of Dreams, then clicked "Return to Home."
2. I navigated through the Pleasant Forest until I was one space away from the Tree of Dreams, then clicked "Return to Home."
3. I navigated through the Windswept Sky and found more Pokémon/items available. Why was this?
4. I clicked "Return to Home" before reaching the Tree of Dreams.
5. I went to the Dream Bridge screen and clicked on the Windswept Sky, but was taken to the Pleasant Forest instead. Why was this?

Thanks!

I just had some confusing experiences with the Dream World. Here's what happened:

1. I navigated through the Windswept Sky until I was one space away from the Tree of Dreams, then clicked "Return to Home."
2. I navigated through the Pleasant Forest until I was one space away from the Tree of Dreams, then clicked "Return to Home."
3. I navigated through the Windswept Sky and found more Pokémon/items available. Why was this?
4. I clicked "Return to Home" before reaching the Tree of Dreams.
5. I went to the Dream Bridge screen and clicked on the Windswept Sky, but was taken to the Pleasant Forest instead. Why was this?

Thanks!
You can enter as many times you want to each different zone however it has a preset number of items and pokes so be careful and the game chooses the zone if I´m not mistaken.

On the Umbreon issue: firstly, it sucks at Curse sweeping. Frankly. It's much better to use BU Scrafty, who has a Fighting STAB to work with. Secondly, it sucks at walling. Ferrothorn's only downside is an additional Fire weakness, but in exchange it gets broken shit like Leech Seed, Power Whip, Gyro Ball, SR, Spikes, Iron Barbs, Toxic immunity, and a crapload of resistances. It also doesn't warrant usage over Blissey on special walling. Finally, Baton Pass. whoops, trap pass got mega-nerfed, now BP doesn't pass Mean Look. In addition, Umbreon can't pass Quiver Dance or Shell Smash. And it still doesn't warrant usage over Vaporeon, who is like 100x better due to better STAB, better ability, and better HP to pass for Wish.

Since Umbreon sucks at everything compared to everyone else, I don't see how its going to be able to secure a place in OU :/

As for Chansey, here's one word of advice to Virizion: play UU. You'll be surprised at how bulky Chansey can be, and its near-impossible to KO without resorting to Victini or Close Combat. Chansey just needs Wish, Protect, Seismic Toss, Stealth Rock, Toxic, Thunder Wave and Softboiled. Really. It's the same theory as Excadrill, as to how it only needs like 4 out of SD, Return, X-Scissor, EQ, Rock Slide and BB, occasionally Rapid Spin. Or Breloom, who pretty much just needs Spore, Sub and Focus Punch to fuck shit up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)