All Gens Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Mark II (RoA edition)

In Generation I, does Bide take into account poison damage?

For example, say I have 160 HP and I'm poisoned (10 damage per turn). I use Bide while the opponent stalls with Splash or whatever. Bide lasts randomly from 2-3 turns. Will the opponent be hit with 40-60 damage because of my own poison damage? Or would Bide fail?

If it's not too much trouble, does anything different happen in other generations? (My main concern in Gen I, though.)

If I get a special event pokemon, talk to the guy who gives it to me, then decide I don't like its nature, can I reset the game and attempt to get it again with a different nature assuming I didn't save/the nature isn't predetermined?

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If I get a special event pokemon, talk to the guy who gives it to me, then decide I don't like its nature, can I reset the game and attempt to get it again with a different nature assuming I didn't save/the nature isn't predetermined?
If you are talking about DPP and the nature is unfixed, of course you can reset for a different. Though you should always RNG event Pokemon since they are sorta unique ;)

AfroThunderRule

*yawn* ez
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Dumb question, why was Latias banned in the 4th gen metagame?

I mean today most people don't see her as a threat (I know this doesn't matter but...) but most/all her checks and counters (besides Genesect but we were doing find without him) are Pokemon and where very much viable in the 4th gen metagame. >_<

nooblikeaboon

Banned deucer.
Because people got tired of having to plan for her and thus decided to ban her. Not much else to say....
Reason behind the ban was that Latias centralized the Metagame (i.e. Ttar had 20% usage, and Scizor around that too). After the Latias and Mence-Ban we now enjoy Heatran at 40%+ Usage though.....

RBY question.

So lets say I'm behind a Subsistute, and I'm in the "invulnerable" turn of Dig/Fly, can they still break the sub? Or will they miss?

Yes. There is a plugin for the Transfer Pak.
Thanks, after reading this went on Google and found the plugin for Project 64 and a page on how to use it.

Now, another RBY question: So my (awesome) dad visits me and brings me a surprise present: a working Pokemon Blue cart he got from a used game store. A nice gesture....but upon further inspection, I thought maybe it might be a bootleg. However, I don't entirely remember what the old old games are supposed to look like, so I could be wrong. Here on the details on why I think it might be a bootleg:

- This picture

It's my cartridge. If you can't read the text on the left side, it says
"DMG-APEE-USA-1".

- There is no gold star that says "Official Nintendo Seal of Approval", nor is there any text that says "Blue Version". However, after looking at various carts on Google Images, a lot look like mine.

- On some carts on Google I saw a "E" rating that was white with faded black edges, whereas the "E" rating on mine is solid black. Reference (not mine, from the internet):

- Okay so I actually played it on my GBA SP. The whole game is monochrome blue. Watching others play on YouTube, this isn't the case (although idk if it's b/c emulation or not).

- When I save, it says "Now saving". When I played on an English Yellow ROM a while ago, all it would say was just "Saving".

- It was bought from a used game store for $19.99. This is an awesome place that has collectibles and a lot of old video games across all systems, and I've gotten stuff from there before. Also, I know that usually knock-offs go for about $15 or less to make it look like a good deal. Or maybe someone sold them a fake and they never knew, idk

So tell me RoA goers...it my game legit or not? It doesn't matter too much...I'm still going to play it and I appreciate is as an awesome gift. But I'm just genuinely curious if this is the real deal.

Gen III ability to Gen IV ability question: I know that if I evolve a Gen III pokemon in Gen IV the evolution can get the Gen IV exclusive ability instead of it's normal Gen III ability. I was wondering if the capacity of picking the new ability was preset of if two clones of the same pokemon could inherit different abilities after evolving.

Gen III ability to Gen IV ability question: I know that if I evolve a Gen III pokemon in Gen IV the evolution can get the Gen IV exclusive ability instead of it's normal Gen III ability. I was wondering if the capacity of picking the new ability was preset of if two clones of the same pokemon could inherit different abilities after evolving.
I believe that both clones will have the same ability upon evolving, because they both have the same PID. If you want to know which ability it will get before you evolve it, then upload it to Pokecheck so you can get the PID number. The number is a hexidemical value, so you have to convert it into binary (easy math, but if you don't know how, just Google a number converter). What ability it will have is decided by if there is a 0 or a 1 as the last digit of the number once converted. Hence the RNG phraseology "Ability 1/Ability 0". This link (http://www.smogon.com/ingame/rng/pid_iv_creation#finding_ability_from_pid) has a table that tells you which corresponds to Ability 0 and which corresponds to Ability 1.

Now, I have a question of my own. Lately I have been contemplating playing GSC OU. But...I have my doubts. Namely:

1. Is the traffic minimal, or are there a good amount of opponents?
2. If all the people playing are the same 10 or 12 that frequent RoA....I'm going to get creamed. I don't have years of experience with this one tier.
3. I have a pretty good attention span, but....I've read logs of battles that go well over 100 turns (in particular, a fight Borat had that went 500+ turns). I don't know if I could do that. I know GSC is stallish, but....that's kind of insane. Although that could just be one isolated case.

So, is it worth giving a shot?

In DPP, does Pursuit work the same way if it's selected by Sleep Talk? Or does the opponent's Pokemon switch without being hit by it?

Hey I am making a pretty shoddy and cruddy gen 1 simulator for school. Since I am forced by guidelines to make the opposing player be a CPU, I am wondering what would be the best team for it. I am not doing anything groundbreaking, literally the cpu will make random moves, so I am thinking some sort of hyper offensive team with limited status moves should do that trick, something like thunderwave or recover should be fine, but any boosting moves are pretty much out the question. So what team would be the best for a literally mindless random machine?

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Is the mindless random machine going to incorporate switching, or is it just kind of like the RBY in-game AI, where it never switches (except for that one guy with the Hypno, but he's weird)

It matters how lazy I am, as making a switch would require me to code a part which chooses a random pokemon (not including itself). Also I am not to sure switching 1/5 of the time is reasonable or not for gen 1.

Does Roar affect Ghost-types in GSC, in spite of being a Normal-type move?
It does.

So what team would be the best for a literally mindless random machine?
If it's going to be completely random then things like doubling up in STAB or even not using all the 4 moveslot become an option.

Some examples:
Snorlax: Body Slam, Mega Kick, Earthquake
Lapras: Surf, Blizzard, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt
Zapdos: Thunderbolt, Thunder, Thunder Wave, Drill Peck
Mewtwo: Psychic, Blizzard, Thudnerbolt, Fire Blast

Is it true that spread attacks in ADV Double Battles only do 50% damage instead of their current 75%? I read that somewhere but I can't find anything to either prove or disprove it.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
In RBY OU, are OHKO moves banned? Additionally, are freezing moves banned if there is an opposing frozen pokemon?
OHKO moves are banned.

Freezing moves are NOT banned if a frozen Pokemon is frozen, you can still use Ice Beam if you freeze something. This is typically handled by "Freeze Clause", which is a rule built-in to simulators and Pokemon Stadium that prevents more than one Pokemon from being frozen.

If you're doing this in-cart and somebody gets multiple freezes with Ice Beam (since it's kind of unreasonable to ban the use of Ice moves when something freezes), the way to handle it would probably be by calling the game if it's obviously in one player's favor before the freeze, or simply starting a new match if the result is up in the air. You can't just switch around until something thaws because that doesn't happen in RBY.

OHKO aren't broken in the sense that they're OP and you'll win every battle, it's that they degenerate the game into almost complete luck, making them anti-competitive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)