All Gens Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Mark II (RoA edition)

Is there a place to get up to date sample teams for USUM? The sample teams linked in the ruins of alph resources are last updated july 2019, and the metagame has surely evolved since then. Tournament replays are nice and all, but a tournament built team and one for ladder performance is different. Surely now that SPL is done (congrats ruiners) maybe there would be time for someone to go about updating them?

With the recent discovery of the change to how the item metronome works, does this drastically affect any mons' viability (or at least viability of the sets with the item)? I know stuff like Celesteela, Mamoswine and Kyurem ran it a fair amount in SM

Just played a game of random battles, was using an oranguru and opponent was using a trevanant, as far as I have known randbats use max speed on non trick room setters, the trevanant outsped prior to trick room and I used trick room and the trevanant still outspeed. Is there something I'm missing here?

That's not a replay. You need to click the "upload and share replay" button to save a replay.
Darn, well as far as I know trevanant doesn't get any priority moves anyways, likewise outside of trick room the oranguru only had focus blast, psychic and thunderbolt if I recall correctly

Sevi 7

Semi-retired
Just played a game of random battles, was using an oranguru and opponent was using a trevanant, as far as I have known randbats use max speed on non trick room setters, the trevanant outsped prior to trick room and I used trick room and the trevanant still outspeed. Is there something I'm missing here?
According to the random battle sets trevanant can also get trick room, which means that it probably also has min speed. Trick Room went last because it had -7 priority, then when you both used a 0 priority move, Trevenant was slower and thus went first in the Trick Room.

Also just a heads up, you're in Ruins of Alph which isn't a place to discuss Gen 8.

hey, i was wondering what the odds were to wake (i.e. for sleep to end) on a given turn in adv? having browsed around the forum i couldn't find any info apart from minimum and maximum duration, so my question regards turns on which odds of waking, x, expressed as a percentage are 100>x>0. apologies if the info was listed elsewhere. thx

Last edited:
Is there any way to make sure the Gen 3 "retro tiers" (ie. UUBL and PU) use all of OU's bans and clauses, instead of doing this?

Edit: What are the invite links to each generation's Discord server?

Last edited:
Can we actually do something to resolve cartridge inaccuracies, one way or the other? If something needs to be decided by the community, organise a vote. If you're concerned making X cart-accurate will negatively impact the metagame, run a test to see if the change is really bad enough to warrant modifying the game. We have all the procedures we need to reach a decision on these things, so why don't we use them?

I'm just sicking of seeing these discussions crop up repeatedly, seeing a lot of back and forth, then nothing happens bc idk, are we hoping for community consensus or something? If cart accurate adjustments go through fine then that's great. If they don't then at least we'll have done something and reached a decision, rather than leaving things unresolved indefinitely.

I recently got into RBY and wanted to start playing on cartridge/Stadium. My question is, which TMs are worth duplicating with the MissingNo. glitch?

I recently got into RBY and wanted to start playing on cartridge/Stadium. My question is, which TMs are worth duplicating with the MissingNo. glitch?
The best ones and most used in the competitive scene are the following:

08 Body Slam, 10 Double Edge, 13 Ice Beam, 14 Blizzard, 15 Hyper Beam, 18 Counter, 19 Seismic Toss, 21 Mega Drain, 24 Thunderbolt, 26 Earthquake, 29 Psychic, 38 Fire Blast, 44 Rest, 45 Thunder Wave, 47 Explosion, 48 Rock Slide, 50 Substitute.

Sevi 7

Semi-retired
The best ones and most used in the competitive scene are the following:

08 Body Slam, 10 Double Edge, 13 Ice Beam, 14 Blizzard, 15 Hyper Beam, 18 Counter, 19 Seismic Toss, 21 Mega Drain, 24 Thunderbolt, 26 Earthquake, 29 Psychic, 38 Fire Blast, 44 Rest, 45 Thunder Wave, 47 Explosion, 48 Rock Slide, 50 Substitute.
This list is pretty much everything for OU mons, but for non-OU mons/non-OU tiers, I would also include:
I would also duplicate: 03 Swords Dance, 06 Toxic, 11 Bubblebeam, 17 Submission, 25 Thunder, 36 Self-Destruct, 41 Soft-Boiled, 43 Sky Attack, 48 Rock Slide 49 Tri Attack

To be honest, pretty much anything that isn't directly outclassed (like Water Gun) could be good to duplicate.

This list is pretty much everything for OU mons, but for non-OU mons/non-OU tiers, I would also include:
I would also duplicate: 03 Swords Dance, 06 Toxic, 11 Bubblebeam, 17 Submission, 25 Thunder, 36 Self-Destruct, 41 Soft-Boiled, 43 Sky Attack, 48 Rock Slide 49 Tri Attack

To be honest, pretty much anything that isn't directly outclassed (like Water Gun) could be good to duplicate.
Tri Attack is useless and Submission you can buy at Celadon.
Self-Destruct is only used in Snorlax (no reason to have more than 1) same for Bubblebeam and Persian.
The other ones are ok i guess to duplicate even tho they have very little usage.

Reactions: zf

Sevi 7

Semi-retired
Tri Attack is useless
I've seen Tri Attack be used on two different Porygon sets in NU and RU, I'll admit that it's super niche and it probably won't be used,, but if they want to try it out then it doesn't hurt to copy it.

Self-Destruct is only used on Snorlax (no reason to have more than 1)
There's three different Snorlax sets that run Self-Destruct, so they want to have multiple Snorlax for different teams, then they'll want more than 1.
Also Mewtwo does occasionally run Self-Destruct in Ubers.

same for Bubblebeam and Persian.
Again, there's different Persian sets, so they may want to have more than 1 persian set sitting in their PC. Also I've seen it be used on Tentacruel and Raticate in UU.

The other ones are ok i guess to duplicate even tho they have very little usage.
Like I said, outside of OU some of those TMs are good to have. Toxic is actually useful and commonly used on Dugtrio and Persian in UU for example.

What's the niche of poisonium Z protean Greninja in gen 7 OU, and what moves does it use? I would assume gunk shot, u-turn, spikes, and ice beam?

Goodbye & Thanks

Thrown in a fire?
Does Drapion have any niche in ORAS OU? Not sure why but it's caught my interest lately and I feel like a SpDef variant with T-Spikes, Taunt, Poison Jab, and Knock Off/Pursuit/Whirlwind could have some value, if for no other reason than beating Clef and spreading T-Spikes. I get that its value is probably too limited for it to be viable, but I thought I'd check and see if anyone had any thoughts.

Sorry also if there was a better place to post this; I didn't see any specific ORAS discussion thread or something like that.

Last edited:
Is there anywhere I can go to see tiering history for past gens? I'm referring to something like this thread in SS: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sword-and-shield-tiering-announcements.3657492/

I've been searching, but can't find much. It would be interesting to be able to see how bans unfolded in previous generations, especially with things in borderlines rising all the time - for example, I had no idea Hawlucha and Crawdaunt were ever in RUBL in gen 7! Even if it's not a single thread, any help would be appreciated! It's kind of weirdly frustratingly hard to find ban history for past generations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)