Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer MK IV: Read the FAQ in the Opening Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm considering changing my scarf meinshao from +spd nature to +atk nature (neutral spd). Is there anything important I won't be able to outspeed??

Anyone know any good Gen 5 damage calculators?
This is the one I use for general purposes. It's really well done and easy to use.

This topic has a few other damage calculators listed at the bottom as well as some other useful links, and you should read it for other reasons anyway.

Also, this is a pretty fun and occasionally useful calculator for figuring out how a Pokemon fares against the entire metagame. If you wanted to know exactly how many DD's you need before your Haxorus 2HKOs everything with Outrage or similar then this is the place to go.

I got a question concerning team construction. Currently, I have a core of a Bullky DDNite, a MixMence, and a CS Magnezone. This set-up works by having MixMence start off with a Draco Meteor to lure in Steel types. If a Steel type appears which Mixmence can't handle, CS Magnezone can trap and kill it to help open up a Bulky DDNite sweep. What I'm wondering is what other Pokemon I can use to support this core? I know that I'll need to have at least some sort of Rapid Spinner to keep Multiscale active.

SkullCandy

She Bangs The Drums
is a Contributor Alumnus

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Rapid Spin

Starmie patches up a few holes in your team. It resists Salamence and Dragonite's Ice-type weakness and Magnezone's Fire- and Fighting-type weaknesses. It can also spin away rocks to aid your Dragons.

To Jimera (sry, forgot to quote)

fair enough... it does seem counter intuitive in some ways but I am inclined to trust you... it takes more damage from outrage now than it did when I put it in HP... need to breed a new one though this one is only "above average"

Thanks for the link, I was going to post it there, but I didnt think it was creative enough :P on your advice, and with adjustment, I will :) ty

is it really creative enough?

Jimera's right about all of this. You can think of it like you're dividing by both your HP and SpDef when you take a hit. Having both numbers close together maximizes the denominator, which minimizes the damage (like 3x3=9 but 2x4=8).

With that set, I'm not sure how it works much better than the bulky set already on the site. Discharge is mentioned as a possible alternative Electric STAB and I'm not really sure what Shadow Ball helps with besides Celebi and Lati@s, as a STAB Hydro Pump with hit harder than a SE Shadow Ball.
Thanks for the explication :)

I did have a long look at the page for rotom-w before deciding this build was worth a try... the main difference is more bulk and using the discharge (or thunder on a dedicated rain team) paralyze chance to offset the loss of speed, and it was specifically for hitting lati@s and celebi that shadow ball was on there, since they seem to be fairly common switch ins, also, it does more than STAB hydro pump in the sun and has a chance to lower sp def which is always welcome. It also makes hitting something at all a possibility when predicting a switch to a storm drain, dry skin, water absorb, motor drive, lightning rod, resistant other, water or ground counter when either could come in, which is something I have had to do, I've used it to that effect quite a lot...

like I said, I didnt think the build was creative enough to go on that page...

Is there any program that allows me to battle a friend who doesn't have the game online? Were we could pick our pokemon, their stats, and all that good stuff. My friend wants to battle, but he doesn't have the game.

~Thanks.

sorry about the call back

Is Poison generally seen as solid typing defensively? Also, does Gengar benefit anything from it's Poison-typing? Is Sludge Bomb of any use? It's Gengar's most powerful move...

in addition to the answers given on page 47 (or 48 maybe) another benefit from its poison typing is it can use black sludge instead of leftovers, ingame this is useful simply becuse you get 2 leftovers use in wifi etc. more generally, it is better than leftovers because if something uses trick which is not uncommon, they will end up with loss of hp instead of regain... not much, but I think worth mentioning.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Rapid Spin

Starmie patches up a few holes in your team. It resists Salamence and Dragonite's Ice-type weakness and Magnezone's Fire- and Fighting-type weaknesses. It can also spin away rocks to aid your Dragons.
Thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking of using either Starmie or Tentacruel in that spot; though, I guess Starmie might be better since it can keep up the offensive pressure of the team. I'll just need to think up of two more Pokemon for the team.

in addition to the answers given on page 47 (or 48 maybe) another benefit from its poison typing is it can use black sludge instead of leftovers, ingame this is useful simply becuse you get 2 leftovers use in wifi etc. more generally, it is better than leftovers because if something uses trick which is not uncommon, they will end up with loss of hp instead of regain... not much, but I think worth mentioning.
Just keep in mind that there is nothing stopping that Pokemon which tricked itself that Black Sludge from Tricking it onto one of your other Pokemon.

Concerning the ongoing international wifi tourny going on: if your opponent disconnects on you, does it impact your rating at all? As in, does it count as a win for you, or does it count as a disconnect for you as well (even tho your opponent D/Ced)?

Recently, i've been trying to breed a modest or timid porygon, but i haven't gotten any yet. Just curious, but are some natures rarer than others? Or do they all have the same chance of being gotten? Maybe i just have terrible luck...

For a VGC team, what would go best with a team of Politoed, Kingdra, and Cloyster? Specifically something that covers the weaknesses of the three..

For a VGC team, what would go best with a team of Politoed, Kingdra, and Cloyster? Specifically something that covers the weaknesses of the three..
I played around with http://pokemon.marriland.com/black_white/team_builder and you have 2 Electric, 2 Grass, 1 Dragon, 1 Fighting, and 1 Rock weaknesses. So a Steel that isn't weak to Fighting like Scizor fits, along with a Grass type, particularly one like Breloom that also resists Rock. Whatever else you add beyond that, just try not to add to existing weaknesses

Recently, i've been trying to breed a modest or timid porygon, but i haven't gotten any yet. Just curious, but are some natures rarer than others? Or do they all have the same chance of being gotten? Maybe i just have terrible luck...
All natures are equally likely. But if the female Pokemon is holding an Everstone it has a 50% chance to pass its nature to the new pokemon

I've been reading through the Breeding Guide here on mogon, particular Part II: http://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/breeding_guide_part2

I noticed that for Teddiursa, it's Atk would be 14 at Lv. 5 if it had 31 IVs in that stat (and 11 for defense), my question regards the possibility of that being higher. I just gave my newly hatched Teddiursa four Rare Candies to see how it would turn out, and it has 15 Atk, as well as 11 Def. It has an Adamant nature and 'Likes to thrash about,' so am I lucky here? Or are the given stats in the breeding guide based on the presence of a neutral nature?

Note: The two Pokemon I used to breed both have great Def IVs according to its mini-description: 'Capable of taking hits,' and I used an Everstone on my Adamant Ursaring in the process.

EDIT: I hatched another Teddiursa, also with an Adamant nature that had 15 Atk and 11 Def at Lv. 5 - it's description said it's 'Highly curious.' And, so am I...or rather confused. @_@ This one also had 10 Speed as opposed to 9 on the other.

Maaf

Let's go for Nanar sweep
is a Contributor Alumnus
As it's written on the guide, the given stats are for neutral natures.

If the nature is boosting the stat, and the stat listed here is a two-digit number, add the first digit of that number to the number shown. If the nature is hindering the stat, first subtract one from the stat listed here, then, if the resulting number is a two-digit number, subtract further the first digit of that number from itself.
Which means for Teddiursa, you add 1 to his stat, so 15 is the stat for a max Atk lvl 5.

Oops, sorry! Thank you. : ) Though, it's weird that I didn't see that with my Buneary. It has a Jolly nature, with the Speed being identical to that one listed.

You all may think I am crazy, but I would like the community to help me with my Offensive Rain Supporting and less Taunt-Bait Ferrothorn.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
252 HP / 252 Sp.Def / 4 Atk
The nature that is -Sp.Atk and +Def
- Leech Seed / Spikes
- Power Whip
- Bulldoze
- Thunder!!

Why Thunder? Well, although T-Wave is more reliable, Thunder allows paralyzing while under Taunt!! Power Whip is there to discourage Ground types. Bulldoze is to catch Zone on the switch as well as Balloon-less Heatran. Leech Seed is for the usual recovery, although Spikes can also be used if you want greater team support. The nature and EVs are for max durability.

My I have some C&C?

When I was breeding my gible, I noticed that it was easier to check for ivs at a higher lvl as compared to lvls 1 to 5 since the stat difference was larger. One question, when do the ivs (complete 31 points) of a pokemon start to show up~?

SkullCandy

She Bangs The Drums
is a Contributor Alumnus
You all may think I am crazy, but I would like the community to help me with my Offensive Rain Supporting and less Taunt-Bait Ferrothorn.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
252 HP / 252 Sp.Def / 4 Atk
The nature that is -Sp.Atk and +Def
- Leech Seed / Spikes
- Power Whip
- Bulldoze
- Thunder!!

Why Thunder? Well, although T-Wave is more reliable, Thunder allows paralyzing while under Taunt!! Power Whip is there to discourage Ground types. Bulldoze is to catch Zone on the switch as well as Balloon-less Heatran. Leech Seed is for the usual recovery, although Spikes can also be used if you want greater team support. The nature and EVs are for max durability.

My I have some C&C?

My main problem with Thunder is that, as you mentioned the Paralysis is much more unreliable, but also what do you hit harder with Thunder than with Power Whip? Power Whip gets STAB and comes off Ferrothorn's much higher base Attack stat. Bulldoze is decent on Ferrothorn but you need to predict well to use it to good effect because, even with the Speed drop, most Pokemon will still outspeed Ferrothorn.

I would recommend using Spikes and Leech Seed and having Power Whip and Bulldoze to keep up offensive pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)