Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: Monotype Edition

I need some help and I feel like im stuck. I am part of a gym league and was given Mono Dragon and I can't find a niche. I have looked all over and I feel like all I have found has been that, they are all sweepers or Revenge killers or wall breakers, Is there any walls? Should I even worry? Whats the best way to play Mono Dragons? I have been trying to find a Guide that could maybe break it down more for me to understand how best to play them and I haven't been able to. If anyone could help me out it would mean a whole lot to me.
From what I have seen for the past 3 generations, the most popular and arguably most successful playstyle for Dragon is Hyper-Offense and I don't think there is any need to change that. Idk about finding a niche in the type tbh, I think you shouldn't worry. Dragon has almost always been a strong type and if you master it, you should be a reliable player irrespective of what gimmicks you use.
A good starting point could be to consult the Viability Rankings under the Dragon section can help you understand the top threats in that department. For further information, I would advice you to watch Dragon replays of Mono Tours or Mono Circuit Tours to see how other players use it at a competitive level like LaPatateDouce suggested.

When evaluating a friend's pokepaste, what should I be looking for beyond, what are their win conditions?
The first thing I would evaluate is their match-up vs super effective typings. If it’s a poison team, for example, you’re looking for answers to psychic and ground types. Every type has its weaknesses and it’s okay if your poison team loses to ground typically, but you really don’t want to have no ground resists and then get swept not just by every ground team, but also Steel teams with Scarf Excadrill and Dragon teams with Garchomp.

When evaluating a friend's pokepaste, what should I be looking for beyond, what are their win conditions?
Try to think of specific things their team would do badly against and ways to keep them in check. This is monotype, so it’s not like that’s a difficult task because a lot of teams will be very similar (within a given typing, of course). Also you know make sure the individual Pokémon are solid in their sets and EVs and stuff that’s important too

JT Yao

Banned deucer.
The only suspect that could potentially happen soon is Landorus-I, since it was stated in it's ban post that they will revisit its ban with a suspect test after MWP, the current team tour.
Thank you for letting me know, appreciate it!

Is there something each type does the best or a niche that only that type gets access to? Example: Only Normal gets to use Ditto to copy the opponent's sweeper, where a bulky mon (Blissey) isn't really unique to just Normal.

Is there something each type does the best or a niche that only that type gets access to? Example: Only Normal gets to use Ditto to copy the opponent's sweeper, where a bulky mon (Blissey) isn't really unique to just Normal.
well unsure what you mean but some types fall into archetypes its hard to stray from

Example- Bug is hyper offense almost 100% of the time due to bug in general having the lowest average hp stat amongst all types
Electric is usually hyper offense as well as its whole thing is hit fast and retreat

Poison is typically a balance built around a bulk core of pex and amoonguss

Etc,people can name more if needed

As for type specific niches yeah that's harder ditto I think is the only type specific niche it can fill there

well unsure what you mean but some types fall into archetypes its hard to stray from

Example- Bug is hyper offense almost 100% of the time due to bug in general having the lowest average hp stat amongst all types
Electric is usually hyper offense as well as its whole thing is hit fast and retreat

Poison is typically a balance built around a bulk core of pex and amoonguss

Etc,people can name more if needed

As for type specific niches yeah that's harder ditto I think is the only type specific niche it can fill there
Rewording my question to clarify: What does each monotype do better than all the others?

Rewording my question to clarify: What does each monotype do better than all the others?
Well I don't think anyone can break down every type but you can check out the MWP Usage stats to have an idea of what types are strong or weak at this time.

But a tldr is that types struggle due to the following
- common/many weaknesses (such as Fire/Ice/Bug) due to Stealth Rocks
- a poor selection of pokemon available (such as past gen Ice/Ghost).
- only feasible archetypes are beaten by common threats (such as past gen Rock vs Steel)

Why types do well
- uncommon weaknesses, great immunities (such as Water, Steel and Flying)
- great selection of Pokemon which allow for a variety of playstyles (such as pastgen Psychic/Steel/Dark)
- great synergy even in a limited archetype (such as Dragon/Fighting)

However here's the catch since the "strong" types are more frequently used, this gives rise to potential matchup fishing. This is why it is common to see "low-tier" types such as Grass or Fire make an appearance in attempts to catch out people and get them out of their comfort zone.

Some types have historically done a good job in an anti-meta role and have been solid pick as a middle ground between the using strong/weak types. (examples are Dragon, Dark and pastgen Bug)

Hope I helped!

How viable are Ice teams in Monotype? I originally asked this here, but I was directed here for an answer. Thanks :)

The biggest problem with the ice type is its awful defensive typing. As a result, it is forced to run offense. Avalugg is the only viable ice type capable being ran defensively. I strongly suggest not using cloyster defensively(it has shell smash for goodness sake). As such, especially because its rapid spin is the best hazard removal on ice, avalugg is essentially required on ice teams. Ice usually does hail slush rush, or just hyper offense. both of which have plenty counters, and against type weaknesses, especially steel, life is going to be really rough.

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
Hey I'm looking for some sort of "typings vr", i recall seeing one a while back but i couldn't find anything like it for crown tundra. Does it still exists, and if it does can someone link it to me? ty in advance!

roxie

https://www.youtube.com/@noxiousroxie
is a Tutoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hey I'm looking for some sort of "typings vr", i recall seeing one a while back but i couldn't find anything like it for crown tundra. Does it still exists, and if it does can someone link it to me? ty in advance!
We never have a type VR for the current generation due to how often the metagame changes as a result of high activity. This leaves a lot of varying interpretations between viability of different types so a type VR is only really created for past generations where the metagame has more or less settled.
^

Glastrier @ Leftovers
Ability: Chilling Neigh
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Icicle Crash
- High Horsepower

For this Glastrier set, is Glastrier better off with Close Combat or High Horsepower?

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Glastrier @ Leftovers
Ability: Chilling Neigh
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Icicle Crash
- High Horsepower

For this Glastrier set, is Glastrier better off with Close Combat or High Horsepower?
High Horsepower is the move I would primarily go with as it beats Poison hard while providing decent coverage. I would also creep neutral natured Defensive Celesteela as you can sub on Flamethrowerless variants and Galarian Weezing.

Hi, been meaning to get into monotype but there seems to be a lack of stall teams in the samples. Is stall a struggling archetype in the meta rn or are there simply no beginner friendly stall teams?

Perish Song

flaunt
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Hi, been meaning to get into monotype but there seems to be a lack of stall teams in the samples. Is stall a struggling archetype in the meta rn or are there simply no beginner friendly stall teams?
There are a few reasons for this.

1- By its nature, Monotype ignores one of main teambuilding fundamentals which is repeating the same type too much. When you literally have one type of Pokemon in your team, you are also stacking the same weaknesses and this leaves you weak to common coverage. Some examples being Steel being forced to play prediction games versus a Victini despite its solid defensive core, and Flying teams being forced to play extra careful around its Electric immunity so it doesnt get automatically invalidated by anything that runs Thunderbolt.

2- Since Monotype is one team sharing a type, the defensive properties of a type is important. Types may have access to good defensive Pokemon, but if the type itself doesnt have a good type chart resistances, those types cant really make an efficient stall team. Two examples of strong offensive types that has shit defensive properties, Fighting and Ice.

3- Lastly, the utility provided by the type's availability also plays a huge role in the stall team's composition. You want access to Pokemon that can cure status with moves like Aromatherapy and Heal Bell, you want access to hazards, you want access to good hazard removal to reduce the pressure, you want good amount of defensive immunities so you dont lose to common coverage etc. Most types are quite limited when it comes to the utility, for example Fairy teams does not have any proper hazard removal outside of Togekiss, Poison-type teams who rely on their only Dark-type mon in their team to not get sweeped by a Psychic-type Pokemon, and Normal-type teams who cannot resist fighting type coverage in any way.

Combining all this, you can realize that there arent many good types that can effectively run stall and be consistent in the metagame. Water is perhaps closest thing we have right now that can attempt at making a stall but its questionable how efficient that team will be. Thus they are not featured in our samples.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)