Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: Monotype Edition

Hello, this is more about game mechanics or maybe a bug in PS, but since is a Monotype battle i'm asking here, if it's the wrong place i apologize.

Replay

in this match my Weavile had pressure (you can see that it shows the message) and i was trying to beat a Sableye that kept using recover, however said Sableye seemed unaffected by Pressure, which as far as i know it's not an ability that has immunities. in the replay you can see that the enemy Sableye was able to use Recover 12 times, (with pressure it would be only 8 effective PPs).

Is there a mechanic to Pressure that makes sableye immune to it, or is it a Showdown Bug? if it's the latter, where can i report it?

Turn 9

Avalugg, come back!
Go! Weavile!
[Weavile's Pressure]
Weavile is exerting its pressure!

The opposing Sableye used Will-O-Wisp!
(Since gen 7, Dark is immune to Prankster moves.)
It doesn't affect Weavile...

The opposing Sableye restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Turn 10

The opposing Sableye used Recover!
The opposing Sableye had its HP restored.

Weavile used Triple Axel!
(The opposing Sableye lost 9% of its health!)
(The opposing Sableye lost 20% of its health!)
(The opposing Sableye lost 28% of its health!)
The Pokémon was hit 3 times!

Turn 11

The opposing Sableye avoided the attack!

Turn 12

(The opposing Sableye lost 10% of its health!)
(The opposing Sableye lost 19% of its health!)

The opposing Sableye used Knock Off!
It's not very effective...
(Weavile lost 23.8% of its health!)
The opposing Sableye knocked off Weavile's Choice Scarf!

Turn 13

Turn 14

Weavile used Knock Off!
(The opposing Sableye lost 44% of its health!)
Weavile knocked off the opposing Sableye's Leftovers!

(Weavile lost 14.9% of its health!)

Turn 15

(The opposing Sableye lost 8% of its health!)
The Pokémon was hit 1 time!

Turn 16

(The opposing Sableye lost 30% of its health!)

(Weavile lost 15.3% of its health!)

Turn 17

Turn 18

(The opposing Sableye lost 21% of its health!)
(The opposing Sableye lost 32% of its health!)

Turn 19

(The opposing Sableye lost 27% of its health!)

Turn 20

Turn 21

Turn 22

Turn 23

Turn 24

Weavile used Foul Play!
(The opposing Sableye lost 24% of its health!)

(Weavile lost 13.9% of its health!)

Turn 25

Weavile used Knock Off!

Conflux

big boy diamonds
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hello, this is more about game mechanics or maybe a bug in PS, but since is a Monotype battle i'm asking here, if it's the wrong place i apologize.

Replay

in this match my Weavile had pressure (you can see that it shows the message) and i was trying to beat a Sableye that kept using recover, however said Sableye seemed unaffected by Pressure, which as far as i know it's not an ability that has immunities. in the replay you can see that the enemy Sableye was able to use Recover 12 times, (with pressure it would be only 8 effective PPs).

Is there a mechanic to Pressure that makes sableye immune to it, or is it a Showdown Bug? if it's the latter, where can i report it?

Turn 10

Turn 11

Turn 12

(Weavile lost 23.8% of its health!)
The opposing Sableye knocked off Weavile's Choice Scarf!

Turn 13

Turn 14

Weavile used Knock Off!
(The opposing Sableye lost 44% of its health!)
Weavile knocked off the opposing Sableye's Leftovers!

(Weavile lost 14.9% of its health!)

Turn 15

(The opposing Sableye lost 8% of its health!)

Turn 16

(Weavile lost 15.3% of its health!)

Turn 17

Turn 18

(The opposing Sableye lost 21% of its health!)

Turn 19

(The opposing Sableye lost 27% of its health!)

Turn 20

Turn 21

Turn 22

Turn 23

Turn 24

Weavile used Foul Play!
(The opposing Sableye lost 24% of its health!)

(Weavile lost 13.9% of its health!)

Turn 25

Weavile used Knock Off!
Pressure only works on moves that target the user. Since Recover targets Sableye and not Weavile, it is not affected by Pressure.

Is Spiritomb or Sableye better for Dark Monotype teams, and why? Thanks.
neither would be used for their dark immunity, as all the prominent fighting spammers(mons like keld urshifu gapdos etc) nuke both with their other stab, so mandibuzz almost always does the job better and more consistently with its superior bulk and access to moves like u-turn and defog. As for which is better, sableye definitely sees more use as dark's only out against iron defense kommo-o, whereas spiritomb has no niche at all.

Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Night Shade
- Taunt / Encore

Last edited:
neither would be used for their dark immunity, as all the prominent fighting spammers(mons like keld urshifu gapdos etc) nuke both with their other stab, so mandibuzz almost always does the job better and more consistently with its superior bulk and access to moves like u-turn and defog. As for which is better, sableye definitely sees more use as dark's only out against iron defense kommo-o, whereas spiritomb has no niche at all.

Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Night Shade
- Taunt / Encore
Thanks!

Hey I wanted to ask a question on the nature of bans in monotype. What makes something qualify for a ban? Overcentralization is easier to judge in other tiers because all teams can run certain mons to beat certain threats, which isn't the case with monotype.

For example, I'm curious if a mon like toxapex could be considered banworthy. It's presence makes mono fighting extremely tricky. Most fighting mons have a difficult time dealing with phys def pex, and teams are forced to run very specific counters like toxicroak to beat it. So in a case similar to this - does a single mon being extremely overcentralizing for a whole typing make it qualify for a ban? Curious what the thinking is on this topic, thanks!

Hey I wanted to ask a question on the nature of bans in monotype. What makes something qualify for a ban? Overcentralization is easier to judge in other tiers because all teams can run certain mons to beat certain threats, which isn't the case with monotype.

For example, I'm curious if a mon like toxapex could be considered banworthy. It's presence makes mono fighting extremely tricky. Most fighting mons have a difficult time dealing with phys def pex, and teams are forced to run very specific counters like toxicroak to beat it. So in a case similar to this - does a single mon being extremely overcentralizing for a whole typing make it qualify for a ban? Curious what the thinking is on this topic, thanks!
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/monotype-tiering-information.3656252/ explains most of it, I'd ask a council member for more info if this isn't enough.

Why is Slowking considered so good in Mono Water? It's A-Rank and is present on both sample teams and while I can see how it is very good, I don't exactly understand why it is considered almost essential.

roxie

https://www.youtube.com/@noxiousroxie
is a Tutoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Why is Slowking considered so good in Mono Water? It's A-Rank and is present on both sample teams and while I can see how it is very good, I don't exactly understand why it is considered almost essential.
Teleport has great use as it pretty much slow pivots teammates in while also working well with its ability Regenerator. Future Sight in conjunction with Teleport pressures switches and helps breakers like Urshifu-R, Barraskewda, and Dracovish get rid of threats or Pokemon, in general, a lot easier. Its Psychic typing is also amazing because it gives Water a switchin to Pokemon like Tapu Lele and Alakazam while also pressuring fat like Toxapex and Amoonguss once Future Sight is used. Slowking should be wary of the occasional Energy Ball Tapu Lele as shown in this replay from MWP.
Slowking @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Future Sight
- Teleport
- Slack Off

roxie

https://www.youtube.com/@noxiousroxie
is a Tutoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Why are past gen monotypes not laddered on pokemon showdown? is there any possibility that they will be in future?
1617762399384.png

mb double post (edits dont give notifs) I can always make tournaments, feel free to pm or tag me in the Monotype room or ask in the RoA room. A temporary ladder is made for the respective RoA Spotlight picks also and its announced whenever their community decides to elect one of our past gens as a pick!

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion

Toxapex isn't considered banworthy because its presence can be covered with good building and is not to the point where you have to run specific Pokemon or sets to beat it. Even Fighting teams can beat it nicely using something like Taunt Keldeo, Choice Band Urshifu, or Conkeldurr. Toxicroak is another option but serves a greater use than just beating Toxapex; it is a good answer to Water, Fairy, Poison teams as well. There are many good Toxapex answers across the board. Super effective coverage, Taunt users, Trick users, PP Stalling are ways types can deal with Toxapex and other walls in the metagame are dealt with in a similar fashion.

You're not really going to see Pokemon getting banned because they're too much for one type. This is Monotype, so every type is going to have natural weaknesses they're just going to have to deal with. Despite terrorizing types like Ice, Rock, and Fairy, Scizor is not banned because those types are naturally weak to Steel, so it's more of the type's problem than Scizor's. You're not banning Spectrier because it sweeps Psychic, or Keldeo for beating Normal for similar reasons.

ORAS Mega Sableye is a good example of a Pokemon which was banned due to overcentralization. Many types had to run ridiculous sets to beat it, which warps the metagame into an unhealthy state. Keep in mind many of these sets weren't to take on walls, Ghost- or Dark-type Pokemon, these very niche sets specialized in beating Mega Sableye and Mega Sableye only, and would not be seen without it. Without Mega Sableye in the ORAS Monotype metagame you'd never run something as ridiculous as Poison Fang non-Sheer Force Nidoqueen and that's a good thing. I hope this answers your question, you can always pm me on Discord if you have any more.

as it stands, the megas for natdex mono are only allowed on teams where the base and mega share the type. theoretically, if there were a mega where both types are different from base, how would this be handled?

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Hi, considering how the meta currently is, I was wondering why Urshifu was chosen to be suspected and not Zapdos? and are there plans of Zapdos being suspect tested in the future?
From the survey results Urshifu and Dracovish were the most ideal candidates for a suspect; a majority of the community don't feel really strongly about Zapdos which makes sense because Choice Specs Zapdos is relatively new. We chose to suspect Urshifu-S first due to its greater meta influence than Dracovish, but we have plans for Dracovish as well. As for Zapdos, it is a possibility, but later when the demand is higher and more people feel strongly about it since a suspect is supposed to be a community vote.

I am new to showdown and just started playing mono flying, I would like to ask if hawlucha could choice band galarian zapdos, and the uses of tornadus in mono flying

mushamu

God jihyo
I am new to showdown and just started playing mono flying, I would like to ask if hawlucha could choice band galarian zapdos, and the uses of tornadus in mono flying
I'm not sure what you're trying to ask about Hawlucha and Galarian Zapdos, but the latter is way better with Choice Band. Base Tornadus has Prankster Tailwind on more offensive teams, but is hard to fit and that is why it's only D ranked. Tornadus-T is a good utility Pokemon with Regenerator.

I'm not sure what you're trying to ask about Hawlucha and Galarian Zapdos, but the latter is way better with Choice Band. Base Tornadus has Prankster Tailwind on more offensive teams, but is hard to fit and that is why it's only D ranked. Tornadus-T is a good utility Pokemon with Regenerator.
thank you

Hi, I watched a Monotype [Gen 8] RU Single Elimination Tournament today without any special rules, and saw people using Damp Rock.

I'm wondering, shouldn't Damp Rock be banned in lower tiers since it's banned in regular?

mushamu

God jihyo
Hi, I watched a Monotype [Gen 8] RU Single Elimination Tournament today without any special rules, and saw people using Damp Rock.

I'm wondering, shouldn't Damp Rock be banned in lower tiers since it's banned in regular?
What you watched follows the Gen8Ru banlist, not the Monotype banlist. Damp Rock is not banned in that tier, so it wasn’t banned in the Monotype version of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)