Resource Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: NU Edition

Honestly if you're going for a defensive Leafeon, you should consider Vileplume or Tangela but here's a physical wall Leafeon:

Leafeon(252 HP 252 Defense 4 Attack) @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
-Synthesis
-Aromatherapy/Toxic/Swords Dance/Wish
-Leaf Blade
-Knock Off

Knock Off is good coverage and taking away your opponent's item is always nice. IMO Wish passing from Leafeon isn't very great as it only has 65 base and Synthesis grants more reliable recovery.

Like Punchshroom mentioned, a SD set is better. I would suggest something like:

SD, Baton Pass, Sub/Synthesis and Leaf Blade.
SD, Baton Pass, Leaf Blade and Knock Off/X-Scissor.
SD, Synthesis/Substitute, Leaf Blade and Knock Off/X-Scissor.

Run max speed with Jolly nature or 224 speed Jolly for base 90s, share the other evs into attack and/or bulk. Leftovers or Life Orb for item. Maybe even Lum Berry, Salac Berry or the grass boosting item.

X-Scissor is to let you hit other grass and dark types hard, namely Malamar and Cacturne. Also hits Lilligant, Leafeon and other mono grass types harder. Knock Off is preferred but Malamar is a huge nuisance.
Thanks, i more than expected . Ima try him with a sysntesis life orb set !

Quick question, with the spike in Serperior usage I'm looking at running Bouffalant, what's the best eV set? Does it need to invest in sp Def and speed? Using it to cover standard grasses such as vileplume and lilligant as well

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Quick question, with the spike in Serperior usage I'm looking at running Bouffalant, what's the best eV set? Does it need to invest in sp Def and speed? Using it to cover standard grasses such as vileplume and lilligant as well
I was going to link you the analysis thread, but apparently no one has written one yet for Bouffalant? x_x either that or I`m blind..

If I recall correctly, a spread of 216 HP / 76 Atk / 216 Spdef with a Careful Nature gives it enough Special Defense so that a 0 Spa Sludge Bomb from Vileplume won't break its Substitute, and that allows Bouffalant to set up Swords Dances on it. I believe the set was Head Charge / Earthquake / Substitute / Swords Dance. That works well for the purposes that you mentioned, for general walling of grass-types. If you're worried more about Serperior in specific, Megahorn could be used over Earthquake, but that leaves you unable to hit Steelix.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The analysis was actually finished a while ago so it was moved to the Preliminary Dex forum TCW :] Here's also the thread if you need it

Although I'm not sure if I'd run that much bulk in the current meta, Bouff already has plenty of bulk to take on Serp and Lilligant and it detracts a lot from its power. Plume becomes slightly more annoying but it's typically a bit easier for most teams to manage since it's slow + easy to pressure. Never been much of a fan of Sub either since being complete bait for Levitating Ghosts seriously sucks ass (especially with a mon that actually fares quite well against those mons otherwise), but eh

Back again lol. So with Serp getting suspected (and most likely banned), that frees up my Serp check slot. I run a scyther to cover other grass types in the tier and am looking for a better check to fighting spam as well as a defogger, and have narrowed it down to the three water birds (peliper, mantine and swanna) and togetic. Although Mantine and Peliper are fairly similar, which do you guys think serves best as the joint role of defogger/ fighting check? (Guessing Swanna is way to frail)

My team consists of Gatr/Electivire/M-Rupt/Scyther/Ferro

Cheers in Advance :)

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Back again lol. So with Serp getting suspected (and most likely banned), that frees up my Serp check slot. I run a scyther to cover other grass types in the tier and am looking for a better check to fighting spam as well as a defogger, and have narrowed it down to the three water birds (peliper, mantine and swanna) and togetic. Although Mantine and Peliper are fairly similar, which do you guys think serves best as the joint role of defogger/ fighting check? (Guessing Swanna is way to frail)

My team consists of Gatr/Electivire/M-Rupt/Scyther/Ferro

Cheers in Advance :)
Pelipper would definitely be your most reliable fighting type switch in as it has the most physical defense and recovery with Roost. Swanna is frail (like you said) and Mantine doesn't have Roost.

Pokedots

How should I live to be happy
is a Contributor Alumnus
While Pelipper is 100% the better fighting check, Mantine is also decent at this, and you should mostly consider it if you need something to handle M-Camerupt (Pelipper takes a ton from Fire Blast or Ancient Power), which your team seems to kind of need.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Don't forget you can also go more passive with a Magic Bounce Xatu, simply getting rid of hazards at the source and thus forgoing a more active hazard remover.
Yeah, that's true. Xatu isn't always the most reliable because it has a bad matchup against some stealth rockers such as offensive mega steelix, rhydon, archeops, and the occasional piloswine.

Yeah, that's true. Xatu isn't always the most reliable because it has a bad matchup against some stealth rockers such as offensive mega steelix, rhydon, archeops, and the occasional piloswine.
I want to try xatu, even tho he has a bad matchup agaisnt steel and rock he can also bounce status and good immunity to ground which most teams need.

Deej Dy

Verified Ladder Scurb 乁( ◔ ౪◔)ㄏ
Xatu is godly, make sure to have a rock/ice/electric resist though. Ghost is nice as well, I find Audino is a nice teammate to take the assortment of special hits and Siesmatoad, Steelix or Ferroseed to take the physical attacks.

I'm considering returning to pokemon with the NU tier (partially because it has a lot of my favourite pokemon and partially because I've always had the impression that NU has an awesome community) and I'd appreciate some miscellaneous info and tips.

Which pokemon are especially dangerous? Which have to be played around carefully rather than outright countered? What are the most relevant speed tiers? Which team archetypes are popular?

I played a lot of BWUU and a tiny bit of BWNU, plus some XYUU and some early ORAS OU.

I'm considering returning to pokemon with the NU tier (partially because it has a lot of my favourite pokemon and partially because I've always had the impression that NU has an awesome community) and I'd appreciate some miscellaneous info and tips.

Which pokemon are especially dangerous? Which have to be played around carefully rather than outright countered? What are the most relevant speed tiers? Which team archetypes are popular?

I played a lot of BWUU and a tiny bit of BWNU, plus some XYUU and some early ORAS OU.
Which pokemon are especially dangerous:
Hey man welcome to NU. Honestly "threats" come in such a large variety, and we do our best to keep them in order through a grading system known as viability rankings here - http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-nu-viability-rankings.3523692/
it should give you some sense to the threat makeup of the tier.

Which have to be played around carefully rather than outright countered:
Again this somewhat depends on your own team and how it is prepared to match with certain threats. For example, offensive teams don't typically pack outright counters, but instead pokemon that can remove each others checks / counters. IDK how to word it, but it ultimately depends on how large a threat is to a specific team.

What are the most relevant speed tiers:
While we really don't consider speed tiers by relevancy, in NU 110, 95, 80, 65, 50 are all pretty crowded. http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-nu-speed-tiers.3515004/ thats the full list of all relevant speed tiers.

Which team archetypes are popular:
I'd definitely argue Bulky Offense and Balance reign supreme in the current metagame due to the massive amount of bulky hard hitters that saturate hte metagame, although NU's versatility allows other playstyles such as HO, Stall, Weather, etc. all to succeed when played correctly.

Hope this helps, welcome to NU.

Thanks!

I guess my second question would be; where can I view current usage statistics for tiers (specifically RU and NU)?

Hey guys, I've currently been using an Electivire set I found in the forums (Specially based mixed expert belt, thunderbolt, flamethrower, hp grass, earthquake, lure for seismatoad and also handles lilligant and mantine that give my gatr trouble ) and have found it an excellent lure and extremely hard to switch into when my opponents predict scarf or specs. Recently however I lost a battle where my expert belt Electivire failed to ko a M-Steelix leaving it with 1%.
To my question, other than not being weak to water/ Rock moves, in the current meta what does Electivire do that magmortar cannot, (ie specific mons it out speeds etc) or is magmortar the superior choice?

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hey guys, I've currently been using an Electivire set I found in the forums (Specially based mixed expert belt, thunderbolt, flamethrower, hp grass, earthquake, lure for seismatoad and also handles lilligant and mantine that give my gatr trouble ) and have found it an excellent lure and extremely hard to switch into when my opponents predict scarf or specs. Recently however I lost a battle where my expert belt Electivire failed to ko a M-Steelix leaving it with 1%.
To my question, other than not being weak to water/ Rock moves, in the current meta what does Electivire do that magmortar cannot, (ie specific mons it out speeds etc) or is magmortar the superior choice?
Electivire has base 95 Speed while Magmortar sits at an awkward 83. Their damage outputs are relatively similar, but I feel tht Magmortar tends to be more appealing because of its ability to put lilligant to a complete stop; in that vital spirit ignores sleep power. I don't know off the top of my head what important pokemon evire outspeeds that Magmortar doesn't, I'd check this resource out: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-nu-speed-tiers.3515004/

Magmortar has huge special attack, allowing it to nab many ohkos and 2hkos with a Life Orb or Choice Specs; while Electivire isn't as powerful besides its strongest move Wild Charge which offers undesireable recoil.

Electivire fails to knock out many Pokemon who only take neutral hits, and with the 4mss you're going to miss out on beating a handful regardless of what coverage options you choose. Whereas Magmortar is 2hkoing or OHKOing the entire tier with Specs Fire Blast, Thunderbolt, Psychic and HP Grass.

An electric immunity in Evire and a potent speed booster from Motor Drive allowing it to outpace the entire tier bar Scarfers is pretty good, although it desires more power.

I would go for Magmortar since it can destroy every wall without having to gamble with coverage options or die to recoil.

Last edited:

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Electivire has base 95 Speed while Magmortar sits at an awkward 83. Their damage outputs are relatively similar, but I feel tht Magmortar tends to be more appealing because of its ability to put lilligant to a complete stop; in that vital spirit ignores sleep power. I don't know off the top of my head what important pokemon evire outspeeds that Magmortar doesn't, I'd check this resource out: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-nu-speed-tiers.3515004/
Electivire also has Vital Spirit to avoid getting put to sleep as motor drive isn't to too useful.

Electivire has a couple of things over Magmortar that would make you consider it; faster, volt switch, access to taunt, and gets different a different STAB + immunities.

Those aside Magmortar just has an incredible damage output compared to Electivire as it has a better special movepool compared to Electivire's physical move pool. I would recommend paring Electivire with Spikes as like you noticed it misses out on a few KO's that spikes help put those Pokemon in range of.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)