Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Read FAQ in First Post Before Asking

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question about EV training in Gen V.

So Pokemon at Level 100 CAN be EV trained now? Including event Pokemon? and is this facilitated using the "Wings" or whatever they're called?

Yes, yes and not necessarily. They will now gain EVs even at LV 100. So you can send your clean Arceus to B/W and let him kill 252 Patrats for max Attack.

Evening, I have a couple of new questions that I hope people can answer :).

2. Farming Thundurus for the correct nature. I'm about to undertake this process right now. And there are a few issues around this. The way I picture it is that I could just use the masterball on it and cut the game if it is not the correct nature. However are there other pokemon out there that I should rather save the masterball for?
Only if you want less hassle. The way I see it the only poke's worth using your MB for are legendary's and roamers. Unless you're playing with Ubers, then Thunderus is probably the best use of it.

And while I can use this link and see that Timed or Naive/Hasty are the best natures for the mentioned builds it does not help me as I lack to experience to see the real underlying differences to those builds.
The reason you'd run Naive/Hasty is used over say Timid, so it doesn't lower Attack. And on the mixed set you use the Attack for Hammer Arm.

I realize that it may seem as if I'm biting over a bit to much here, but for me it would be absolutely game breaking if I one week from now were to find out I had "messed up" by selecting an incorrect nature.
While it may not kill you, you might not be faster then something that had the proper nature, and it might kill you. :/ Why take the chance?

3. What is and how does Pass orbs from the DW work?
In the Entralink, you can do missions when there are people near you, in the circle surrounding the Entralink. Pass Orbs can be used here to help you in-game. Info here.

I know that my way of playing the game by aiming for the best outcome in any given scenario may seem like a horrible way to play the game, but it's what I like to do :).
Far from horrible. It's admirable. It's how people win.

I am going to running a very defensive Kecleon set with only ONE attacking move. What move would be the best? I was thinking Aerial Ace, but I really don't know.

What are good ways to deal with Volcarona? I get reallly pissed when one comes in on a pokemon I know can't do much to it, so either I hit and do not OHKO or switch, and it gets a Quiver Dance no matter what. And f*ck that thing when it gets 2 quiver dances, it ko's everything. How can I stop it, (besides Azumarill Aqua Jet, I know of that)

edit: and what the hell can OHKO it? My 376 attack muscle banded metagross's earthquake doesnt KO.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
@Winston:
1. Use Stealth Rock. It chips off half of its health per switch-in. Having a weather of your own also really helps you check Volcarona. That means Tyranitar or Politoed. (Tar can actually take a +1 Bug Buzz IIRC)

2. 376 attack muscle banded metagross is ass. Get a better metagross with +attack nature. muscle band is pretty shitty item as well. bad+bad=bad

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
What are good ways to deal with Volcarona? I get reallly pissed when one comes in on a pokemon I know can't do much to it, so either I hit and do not OHKO or switch, and it gets a Quiver Dance no matter what. And f*ck that thing when it gets 2 quiver dances, it ko's everything. How can I stop it, (besides Azumarill Aqua Jet, I know of that)

edit: and what the hell can OHKO it? My 376 attack muscle banded metagross's earthquake doesnt KO.
1. Stealth Rock + Any priority other than Mach/Bullet Punch
2. Excadrill with Rock Slide
3. Heatran with HP Rock (yeah, I know)
4. Gyarados pretty much walls Volcarona, but it depends on the Hidden Power.
5. Conkeldurr can take a hit at +1 iirc and Stone Edge for the kill.
Other than Lati@s, which gets pwned by an hp ice if it is used, does anyone know any viable counters for chlorosaur?
Just wanting to add on to this-
Rain Dance Tornadus is actually an excellent check for all sun teams, setting up Rain Dance on a Ninetales that hits it for pathetic damage, then spamming Hurricane. Almost nothing on a sun team can switch into Hurricane.

Stealth Rock and a physical attacker. Or a fire type. I counter it usually with Kabutops or Ninetails. But yeah, it's not a big deal as long as you have out a Pokémon that can force it to attack rather than Quiver Dance. It typically can't take a Stone Edge from anything with decent attack after Stealth Rock.

As for my Kecleon question, I'm looking for an attack move that's just plain going to hit. The rest of the set takes a lot of prediction already, and I need a way for him to be able to just finish something off if he needs to. I was thinking either Return or Aerial Ace to surprise a fighting type switch in and allow him to fight ghosts. Thoughts?

376 attack muscle banded metagross is ass. Get a better metagross with +attack nature. muscle band is pretty shitty item as well. bad+bad=bad
I have adamant nature, and I poured EV's into defenses. He takes a hit really nicely on either side and still can 2HKO most things if not OHKO on super effective hits. He's just a tank role.

And I do use stealth rocks. Guess I'll just phaze volcarona out so he dies the next switch in.

And I do use stealth rocks. Guess I'll just phaze volcarona out so he dies the next switch in.
If they are smart, that would leave Volcarona with 1 HP. But most of what counters it depends on its Hidden Power. For example, it can't do much to Dragonite without Hidden Power Ice and it can't scratch Heatran without Hidden Power Ground

I'm new to the Stall play style but I am attempting to build a stall team. Which set up would work better:
ScarfTar, Vaporeon, Forretress, Latias, (Gengar?)
OR
ScarfTar, Jellicent, Forretress, Latias
And help would be appreciated.

*Also, would a spin blocker be absoutely necassary?

I'm new to the Stall play style but I am attempting to build a stall team. Which set up would work better:
ScarfTar, Vaporeon, Forretress, Latias, (Gengar?)
OR
ScarfTar, Jellicent, Forretress, Latias
And help would be appreciated.
Scarftar is bad. use band or specially defensive mixed
I would go with Vaporeon to pass wishes because Latias does not want a move slot on recover and Forretress and T-Tar cannot heal except for pain split and rest respectively.
However, if you dont care for your HP stat, Jellicent is good for spinblocking.

Scarftar is bad. use band or specially defensive mixed
I would go with Vaporeon to pass wishes because Latias does not want a move slot on recover and Forretress and T-Tar cannot heal except for pain split and rest respectively.
However, if you dont care for your HP stat, Jellicent is good for spinblocking.
I am using ScarfTar because without it Thundurus walks all over me. And ScarfTar isn't all that bad.. Thank you though, I think I'll stick with Vappy

So I caught me a Sassy Thundurus after having killed the elite 4. It hurts on several levels as I just can't play a "broken" pokemon. My save is at a point where it will be sassy no matter what.

What are my options here? Do I really have to restart my game so that I can get a Timid one by saving before the talking to the old lady? Im unable to play with it as it's not in its best state..

Damn it..

-Kess

You can no longer catch one in that playthrough that isn't Sassy. You can always trade or if you have more cartridges for generation 5 you can trade your good Pokés to that one and restart

So I caught me a Sassy Thundurus after having killed the elite 4. It hurts on several levels as I just can't play a "broken" pokemon. My save is at a point where it will be sassy no matter what.

What are my options here? Do I really have to restart my game so that I can get a Timid one by saving before the talking to the old lady? Im unable to play with it as it's not in its best state..

Damn it..

-Kess
Trust me - I heard that the hardest (or "most time-consuming", if you want to think of it that way) things to RNG in 5th Gen are Tornadus/Thundurus. I'd highly suggest to just trade for one.

What ability would be better for Scarf Haxorus? He hits 430~ speed so outspeeds anything noteworthy that also isnt carrying a scarf. And max attack gives him 430~ attack, which is just raw power. He hits really well. I use rivalry because the attack boost really can help, but there are annoying things that are nongender and some female gendered, so I'm wondering if I should go for mold breaker when the opponent switches to a levitatemon predicting my EQ.

Trust me - I heard that the hardest (or "most time-consuming", if you want to think of it that way) things to RNG in 5th Gen are Tornadus/Thundurus. I'd highly suggest to just trade for one.
People seem to line up to trade with new players so I'm sure that wouldn't be hard to pull off :). "Do you need a female Snivy or a male zorua to go with those 300 shinys with perfect IV's?" :)

I spent 4 hours today on trying to sort the Thundurus. Now 4 hours is not a lot of time to put into this, but as it is rather game breaking it would have been nice if Game Freak had just given legendary's a preset nature or something. Im sure people would disagree with me on that, but this is truly game breaking for me. To such an extent that it may actually turn me off the game.

Luckily I got me a Jolly Zekrom on my first try, but that fight is so much easier to redo if you get the wrong nature. And I caught him with my first quick ball.

But I have a feeling that the IV's probably aren't top notch.

While I find the randomness of the game awesome, it also seem to make it so much harder to get into the game for a new player. I can see how understanding the rules and battling would be a tad much, but its really nothing compared to the effort of getting that top notch pokemon. :)

-Kess

Ok I have a Action Replay and I was wondering if I use the wild pokemon modifier code to fight Blissey for Ev Training if my game will still be able to participate in VGC and upload battles to GTS.

You can no longer catch one in that playthrough that isn't Sassy. You can always trade or if you have more cartridges for generation 5 you can trade your good Pokés to that one and restart
Yeah I noticed.. My younger brother has the black version hence why I got the white one myself so trading away is an option.

It probably wouldn't take that long to replay the game if you did not bother with items much or gathering pokemon.

Also I guess it could probably do it with just 3-4 pokemon in total. Hi Sandile!

-Kess

Ok I have a Action Replay and I was wondering if I use the wild pokemon modifier code to fight Blissey for Ev Training if my game will still be able to participate in VGC and upload battles to GTS.
It'll be legal, but (sorry for suggesting this but it's allowed in the Wi-Fi section) why not just use the x900 recovery item one, and put each of EV Wings in the first spot for each activation so you have 900 of all EV Wings?

Hello all. I have recently developed a core that I believe is relatively solid. This core includes Vaporeon, Forretress and Latias. Besides Thundurus, is there anything that this core seems weak to? I am considering abandoning the core altogether unless someone believes it has some potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)