Ask a Simple Question Get a Simple Answer - RU Edition

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
If you're thinking of making a topic that can be answered with one post, please post it here instead. New threads should be for discussion!

When posting in this thread, follow the following guidelines:

1. Your answers should contain at least a brief explanation, even if it was the simplest of questions.

2. While answering Yes/No question, please quote the question you're referring to. It gets confusing otherwise.

3. At least do a simple google search before asking the question here.

4. This is already in the Smogon and Stark forum rules, but I will reiterate again do not discuss ROMs or other illegal things.

5. Do not ask for Action Replay or other external device codes. Use Google for that.

Frequently Asked Questions
What does [move / item / ability] do?
Check the links in this topic before asking. http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78983
Also read the first post here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79340

What is RU?
Read my Smog article here to get a basic overview of the metagame at the time of posting.

Is there going to be NU?
Yes, just as soon as usage stats and tier changes happen for the next round.

Is there going to be RU C&C?
Yes, just as soon as we get some of the broken stuff out of the tier, so stay tuned for that!

Is there going to be a suspect test?
As of right now I can't tell you. I was asked to not start a suspect test, and I wouldn't want to until the usage tier shifts happen anyway. So bear with me in this regard.

Can we breed Dream World Abilities?
From the research thread:
CONFIRMED Breeding a Dream World female parent with any male parent (but not vice versa) has a chance of giving the offspring its respective Dream World Ability. It is unknown whether Ditto counts as the female for this purpose, and we won't know until DW Ditto is released. (Maverick Hunter, 0mastar\The Shadow Knight)
Can you use Rotom's alternate forms over Wi-Fi?
Yes.

I've been running a Mandibuzz/Tangela/Claydol/Clefable defensive core. It works for everything except yanmega. (Clefable can't switch into speclens bug buzz when it's lower than 80%. I've been looking for improvements, but I haven't found one.

Can anyone give a suggestion?

edit: first post wooooot

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
As you already have a generic Special Wall, I'll say not Munchlax (who gets forced to rest and become setup fodder anyways), or other Normal-type special walls for that matter. Lesser known checks include things like Specially Defensive Subroost Moltres, (which you might try, but requires SR off the field at all times), Eviolite Golbat (redundant with Mandibuzz) and Eviolite Lampent (which you might try--if you're spiking up like other defensive teams, you'll need a spinblocker-but it can't block the most common spinner in Blasty). All of them quad-resist Bug Buzz, and Air Slash is a lot weaker. The fact that you force it to Air Slash instead allows you to use Clefable with moderation as well-- still, they aren't perfect checks (aka, Air Flinch Hax). In fact, I don't think there is a single 'mon that you can throw out in front of Yanmega and not fear anything. But then, I might be missing something.

Eviolite Lampent looks good, I'll try it. Thanks! Even though I only use SR on my team, SR is another way of checking Yanmega.
SpD Mandibuzz also checks Yanmega as my own mixed set even functions in tanking the hits provided that SR is gone on your own side of the field

Stratos

Banned deucer.
SpD Mandibuzz also checks Yanmega as my own mixed set even functions in tanking the hits provided that SR is gone on your own side of the field
clearly someone isn't considering that bravebird recoil will make you a suicide bomber, or that you become weak to Bug once you roost.

As for Mega counters, a quirky yet great one is Electrode. He gets soundproof, resists airslash, and outspeeds with electric typing.

clearly someone isn't considering that bravebird recoil will make you a suicide bomber, or that you become weak to Bug once you roost.

As for Mega counters, a quirky yet great one is Electrode. He gets soundproof, resists airslash, and outspeeds with electric typing.
Some other good ones are
-SpD Roselia with Sludge Bomb or HP Rock
-Haven't tried it yet but Golbat could probably work
-Scarf Typhlosion is you double switch (which is pretty easy to predict)
-Mr. Mime because it's immune to Bug Buzz and has a good SpD stat

edit: Electrode is a check not a counter because it shouldn't be switching in on Specs Air Slash.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Some other good ones are
-SpD Roselia with Sludge Bomb or HP Rock
-Haven't tried it yet but Golbat could probably work
-Mr. Mime because it's immune to Bug Buzz and has a good SpD stat

edit: Electrode is a check not a counter because it shouldn't be switching in on Specs Air Slash.
Idk about you but the only Mega i've been seeing recently are Speed Boost

Guys, let's face it. SpecsLens is practically uncounterable, bar a few gimmicky pokes that have no real impact on the tier. Sure it has checks, but not many pokes can switch into a Bug Buzz/ Air Slash, whichever hits harder (which is really what you use to see if its a proper counter, i.e. Eviolite Roselia might be able to come in on Bug Buzz, but it can not come in on Air Slash, so it is not a formal counter, much like Gliscor is not a counter to, say, Specs Thundurus). And, going back to the definition of broken "Being able to sweep through a large amount of teams with relative ease," it does just that. Can we please stop asking "what counters Yanmega"

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Guys, let's face it. SpecsLens is practically uncounterable, bar a few gimmicky pokes that have no real impact on the tier. Sure it has checks, but not many pokes can switch into a Bug Buzz/ Air Slash, whichever hits harder (which is really what you use to see if its a proper counter, i.e. Eviolite Roselia might be able to come in on Bug Buzz, but it can not come in on Air Slash, so it is not a formal counter, much like Gliscor is not a counter to, say, Specs Thundurus). And, going back to the definition of broken "Being able to sweep through a large amount of teams with relative ease," it does just that. Can we please stop asking "what counters Yanmega"

munchlax says hi to the specs lens set and either phazes or sets up on it (i use curse :0 )

Double switch? On a Yanmega? So you switch to your pivot (lol pivot against Yanmega) to find out what set it is running: If it is SB then you switch to Typhlosion and... it's outspeeding you. If it's TL then you switch to Typhlosion and... Typhlosion is OHKOed by a resisted attack... The word 'counter' is being used pretty loosely there.

Evio Golbat sounds interesting though; but I'm sceptical because all these bulky Flying types like Mandibuzz sound great on paper with recovery and phazing and support moves but they always disappoint because of Stealth Rock putting them in 2HKO range.

And clearly someone is considering that Toxicstalling can be used as well lol. Let's stop with these arguments already :D

Don't take my word for at, as I'm just guessing, but I believe that tiers will be updated after suspect voting for OU takes place, as they'll (probably) have to change the tiers to kick Thundurus/ Excadrill (Thundurus was almost banned last round, Excadrill has been suspect from the very beginning) out, and they'll also change up UU and RU while they're at it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)