Ask a Simple Question Get a Simple Answer - RU Edition

Quagsire vs Seismitoad

Pardon the incredible briefness of this post but just why does Quagsire slot in an entire tier above Seismitoad?

From what I can tell, not only does Seismitoad have vastly better stats (trumping Quagsire in every regard bar special defence which Quagsire wins out in by ten). But he also has access to stealth rock.

I understand that Quagsire has access to unaware but is that really enough to put him so far above everyone's favourite little seismic frog friend?

Unaware is an insane counter to boosting sweepers. Quagsire also has Recover, and Stockpile/Curse for added trolling. Seismitoad is a better sweeper, but with stats like theirs, sweeping really shouldn't be your goal.

Ahh so Quagsire's unaware makes him a fantastic counter sweeper (if I may coin a phrase). In that case is there anything that Seismitoad can do due to him being just to slow and weak to sweep?

Seimitoad is a very good Rain Dance sweeper, something that Quagsire cannot pull off. It has just enough power to get the KOs it needs under Rain, and his small yet precise movepool grants him all he needs in order to pull off a successful sweep. His Electric immunity and good bulk make it farely easy for him to pull off a Rain Dance, and from there go to town with Hydro Pump (or Surf), Earth Power and Sludge Wave. Simply use a Modest nature with max Speed and SpAtk and it shouldn't let you down.

Seismitoad can also pull off a Defensive set, as thanks to his Water immunity when you opt for Water Absorb, it's a wonderful Kabutops counter. You can decide whether to focus on physical or special bulk though, depending on what your team needs. And as you mentioned, unlike Quagsire it has access to Stealth Rock.

Ahhh, so seismitoad really can perform a useful function on more rain dance oriented teams, and whilst I suppose he does have stealth rock quasire's gotten recover so it's a bit of a blow for blow.

Alright thank you all, I'll go off and ponder some more methods that our toadish friend could use to escape from the grisps of his amphibian oppressor.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
just a tip: contrary to popular belief Rain Dance Seismitoad doesnt have to be used on a full Rain Dance team to be effective, it does just fine as a standalone on other offensively oriented teams. It doesnt need to have teammates to set up rain for it, as its bulky enough to set up rain itself, especially with its good defensive typing. So keep that in mind when trying to build a team with him :>.

In terms of sheer sweeping potential what are the best pokemon in the tier?

Also what are some effective wall breakers besides Nidoqueen?

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
In terms of sheer sweeping potential what are the best pokemon in the tier?

Also what are some effective wall breakers besides Nidoqueen?
Wallbreakers:

Druddigon (offensive stealth rock set or LO)
Moltres (LO or Specs)
Escavalier (CB)
Absol (LO)
Emboar (Scarf or CB)
Aggron (CB)
Magmortar (LO)
Typhlosion (Specs)

Sweepers:

Entei (CB, LO, or Flame Plate, or Calm Mind)
Sceptile (LO)
Lilligant (LO Quiver Dance)
Cinccino (CB or LO)
Durant (Hone Claws LO or CB)
Gallade (Swords Dance)
Zangoose (Toxic Boost)
Fraxure (Dragon Dance)

Those are just some examples. Most of the really offensive Pokemon in the tier can serve either role depending on the set you use or who you pair them with. You can take a look here to get a feel for the "best" Pokemon in the tier for the ones I didn't list out.

Since the general metagame SQSA is pretty much neglected and the NU forum still does not have a SQSA, can we question you in here?

Edit: Thanks. No idea why they have to give that particular SQSA another name than in the rest of the forum.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
There really isn't anything in the tier that can really fill the void left by Cresselia, it simply did too much.

However, the mon that comes the closest is definitely Uxie. It remains an effective answer to Nidoqueen and is generally seen as the best all-purpose support mon in the tier. Mesprit is also a good alternative.

If you're looking for a bulky Psychic with reliable recovery, then Musharna is the only thing that comes close to being able to do what Cresselia did, though its Spikes vulnerability and generally lower bulk means its not as effective in any role as Cresselia was.

Yonko7

Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
is a Contributor Alumnus
There really is no 'replacement' for Cresselia per say; her defenses combined with a [semi]reliable recovery move makes her nigh incredible to break down. That being said, the closest one can to getting a member similar to Cresselia is Uxie, which can similar Defenses, but lacks recovery and base HP stat. Uxie does have some advantages to Cresselia in that it can U-Turn out, and set up Stealth Rock, so it's more of a team player.

Edit: Ninja'ed by Oglemi ;-;

Thanks guys, that'll work,
Oh and I do have another question:
What are some of the best Special sweepers in this tier?

whats a good team to good agenst a pure stall team?
You can't safely make a team that is "good" against stall without basically pigeonholing a team to being effective against only stall teams, but there are certain Pokemon, such as Gallade (Swords Dance or Substitute + Bulk Up), Nidoqueen, Expert Belt Magmortar, and Bulk Up Braviary, that all are potent threats to most stall teams, finding several opportunities to switch in and threaten the majority of common stall-based Pokemon =)

So i'm going to make a ru trick room team, and I was wondering if I should use klingklang or escavalier in it. The problem with not including klingklang is that he provides the team with a very usefull dark weakness(unlike most setters) and I'm thinking my current two setters may not be enough to maintain a pretty consistant trick room. Any input appreciated. Thanks.

Note- Other team members include dusknior,aggron,slowking,eelektross,and hariyama.

Oglemi

Borf
Klinklang is a lackluster Trick Room setter since he's not very defensive nor very offensive when he can't boost with Shift Gear.

You seem to already have two Dark resists in the team. I would use Escavalier if you're set on using either it or Klinklang. You should be focusing on having sweepers that will allow for the most damage output in the shortest time-span, and you seem to be accomplishing that with Aggron, Hariyama, and Escavalier.

I would reevaluate using Eelektross since it's not particularly strong when compared to the other three or Slowking, and it's pretty much useless without any Speed outside of Trick Room.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)