Resource Ask a simple question get a simple answer: RU edition

Lord Death Man

i cant read
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
other people didn't mention why, but the problem with gyro ball on TR mega steelix is that a lot of mons you want to hit with gyro ball can dodge a 2hko from even a -speed megalix because they're also incredibly slow. Aromatisse really stands out because it's already stalling your precious few TR turns to begin with.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Can anyone tell me the best Trevenant's set? The Smogon Dex is outdated and I'm aware Harvest Sitrus Berry is a bad set
I haven't used it since before moth dropped, but its basically the same meta now, I liked Choice Band Natural Cure when I ran it last time (Shadow Claw / Wood Hammer / Earthquake / Horn Leech | Trick). But I'm not sure if that's actually the best set, a wisp colbur set is probably viable but faces huge competition from Gourgheist, OTR is also possible, but again Gourgheist-XL gives it competition, which is why I feel CB capitalizes best on its traits to give it some sort of niche.

Hey, I have tons of experience in OU and UU and played very little RU but want to really start getting competitive in the tier. Why exactly are the current S ranked mons so dominant in this tier? And what A ranked mons define the meta the most?

Ping_Pong_Along

Bitches love underscores
Tyrantrum is S rank because it has recoil-less STAB Head Smash off of a base 121 Attack. There's also a pretty decent variety of options it has, including Choice Band, Choice Scarf, and even Rock Polish or Dragon Dance, though Rock Polish and Dragon Dance have been losing popularity. Mega Steelix is an incredible tank that fits on every playstyle barring hyper offense. It's also a solid check for the Tyrantrum since it has a 4x resistance to Rock attacks. Meloetta has about seven different sets, all of which can be really effective. Its too most common right now are Choice Specs and Calm Mind. It's difficult to tell which one is being used, which is very dangerous. It also has few checks and can often find a way to break through the ones it does have.

All of A rank is rather meta defining. I'd say Durant and Alomomola are two pretty meta defining mons. Durant can absolutely ruin teams and Alomomola is an incredible wall that can defeat many common wallbreakers and pass insanely potent Wishes. I'd also put Fletchinder in there as it is the lord of late-game sweeping. Emboar fits too since it can break through pretty much anything. If it weren't for all the recoil damage it takes, Emboar would likely be too powerful for RU. Flygon is easily the best hazard removal in RU and can go either offensive or defensive. Hitmonlee, Delphox, Houndoom, and Virizion are also really powerful and meta defining.

Lord Death Man

i cant read
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Key A mons imo that were missed:
Glalie is a ridiculous wallbreaker with very few switch ins and really gives balance teams a headache, and can also lay down spikes if you have one of the rare mons that does beat it 1v1
Tangrowth is either a very bulky defensive wall or a potent special attacker who heals as it switches out, which gives it ridiculous longevity, and you can never really be sure which until it attacks. AV fits in between those two and can help it scout pretty decently
Sigilyph is immune to hazards and burns/poison, which gives it several threatening sets that set it apart from other psychic types - Flame Orb Calm Mind being a big stand out
Scrafty is hard to check on accident and can live all sorts of ridiculous hits with no HP investment, but is really slow and sort of weak before using Dragon Dance

Is there a list somewhere that explains the various bans from the tier? In particular, I was wondering about why Zoroark was banned.

Hello everyone! I'm kinda new to the forums but I have a little experience with battling already, the thing, What is the best "style" to aim for? I was mostly thinking of making a team based around Flygon since it is my favorite pokemon, and I tried a balanced team on showdown but it just doesn't shine... I see that with pokemon such as Alomomola, quite a few regenerator users stall could be an option, but there are pokemons like exploud that I personally struggle with, mainly since it just hits too hard... Is Hyper Offense Viable now? Or What are good teammates for Flygon? Thank you in advance!
EDIT: One more little thing: Are there anyRU RMTs? I kinda cant find them on the RU section other than the outdated sample ones.

Last edited:
What is the best way to counter trick room in RU? Mega bannette can learn taunt, but it doesn't thrive well against cofagrigus, which is something I have been encountering in trick room as of late.

Also, why is Gallade RU while his mega form is OU/BL, but some other OU/BL megas' base forms are in the OU/BL tier, like Manectric etc?

atomicllamas

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What is the best way to counter trick room in RU? Mega bannette can learn taunt, but it doesn't thrive well against cofagrigus, which is something I have been encountering in trick room as of late.

Also, why is Gallade RU while his mega form is OU/BL, but some other OU/BL megas' base forms are in the OU/BL tier, like Manectric etc?
Trick Room is generally a sub par style, that really only matches up well against Hyper Offensive teams. On more balanced / bulkier teams, switching counters into their heavy hitters in order to waste turns is generally the best bet, as well as trying to cripple / wear down the setters as much as possible. For more offensive teams its harder to deal with TR once its up, but you can easily limit TR teams to setting up TR once with the right amount of offensive pressure, and then they tend to flop to offense outside of TR. Generally Dark types such as Houndoom, Drapion, and Sneasel are pretty effective at limiting TR to being set once or twice, and Drapion and Houndoom can manage to run taunt if you are really concerned (though its generally not worth it for Houndoom, and rarely worth it for offensive Drapion).

As for the Gallade thing, right now Gallade is RU because it isn't seeing enough usage in UU or OU to be in either tier (OU because Mega Gallade is good but has so much competition for the mega slot, UU because Mega Gallade is not allowed and regular Gallade is mediocre). So because Mega Gallade is not OU by usage, and it is not allowed in UU (banned) and regular Gallade does not have enough usage to be UU, it is in RU. Mega Manectric on the other hand is OU because it receives enough usage to be OU, and therefore its base form doesn't drop.

In the near future (think Pokemon Z), we are planning on switching the way we tier, such that megas and their bases are tiered separately. So for example, Mega Manectric could be OU while regular Manectric is RU or NU.

DKFirelord

Back this time I swear!
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hello everyone! I'm kinda new to the forums but I have a little experience with battling already, the thing, What is the best "style" to aim for? I was mostly thinking of making a team based around Flygon since it is my favorite pokemon, and I tried a balanced team on showdown but it just doesn't shine... I see that with pokemon such as Alomomola, quite a few regenerator users stall could be an option, but there are pokemons like exploud that I personally struggle with, mainly since it just hits too hard... Is Hyper Offense Viable now? Or What are good teammates for Flygon? Thank you in advance!
EDIT: One more little thing: Are there anyRU RMTs? I kinda cant find them on the RU section other than the outdated sample ones.
I find Flygon to be good on more offensive teams and balance if you having problems with it try Defog Special Flygon , E-Power Draco Meoter Roost/ Fire Blast and Defog. Yes Hyper Offense is Viable and I have an RU RMT if you want to check it out its in my signature their's also some more in the RU RMT tag.

Trick Room is generally a sub par style, that really only matches up well against Hyper Offensive teams. On more balanced / bulkier teams, switching counters into their heavy hitters in order to waste turns is generally the best bet, as well as trying to cripple / wear down the setters as much as possible. For more offensive teams its harder to deal with TR once its up, but you can easily limit TR teams to setting up TR once with the right amount of offensive pressure, and then they tend to flop to offense outside of TR. Generally Dark types such as Houndoom, Drapion, and Sneasel are pretty effective at limiting TR to being set once or twice, and Drapion and Houndoom can manage to run taunt if you are really concerned (though its generally not worth it for Houndoom, and rarely worth it for offensive Drapion).

As for the Gallade thing, right now Gallade is RU because it isn't seeing enough usage in UU or OU to be in either tier (OU because Mega Gallade is good but has so much competition for the mega slot, UU because Mega Gallade is not allowed and regular Gallade is mediocre). So because Mega Gallade is not OU by usage, and it is not allowed in UU (banned) and regular Gallade does not have enough usage to be UU, it is in RU. Mega Manectric on the other hand is OU because it receives enough usage to be OU, and therefore its base form doesn't drop.

In the near future (think Pokemon Z), we are planning on switching the way we tier, such that megas and their bases are tiered separately. So for example, Mega Manectric could be OU while regular Manectric is RU or NU.
Thank you for the information. Two more questions.

Which section would I post my RU teams in to get help with?

Are there any RU pokemon that are being considered for suspect testing/suspect tested atm?

atomicllamas

Thank you for the information. Two more questions.

Which section would I post my RU teams in to get help with?

Are there any RU pokemon that are being considered for suspect testing/suspect tested atm?
Try here. Make sure you check out the rules first though.

There is very likely to be a Tyrantrum Suspect test after the tier shifts are released unless there is a major shift.

Hey I really wanna share my RU team I made recently. I wanna know where I can get post this officially to get some good feedback on my team and suggestions to make it better.

Hey I really wanna share my RU team I made recently. I wanna know where I can get post this officially to get some good feedback on my team and suggestions to make it better.
hey man, you can post it in the RMT subforum, where its visible for all and a team rater can rate. welcome to smogon n_n

Why is Swanna unranked on RU viability rankins? I've been testing it and I can't see why. Pelipper is bulkier but Swanna has a bigger offensive pressure and 98 for a speed tier is quite nice, although Flygon outspeed it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)