Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
So your first 5 are weak to the three main strategies? Sounds like a solid team.

Protip: One mon won't cover you against everything, I'd start looking at your already made choices before worrying about the last slot.
Sorry I am not really pro. So what is the perfect team that covers all strats? Maybe i didn't word my question correctly. I have 5 mons that work great and can overcome many strats that I have seen at regional tournaments and the like, however there is 1 spot remaining. Should you be playing a TW, TR, or the next "top" team of T-wave, which sixth spot pokemon from my original list would you be most worried about, not that you wouldn't be focusing on the other 5 or anything. Just looking for a simple answear this time, and not unhelpful criticism based off little to no knowledge of the whole situation.

Thanks

Ok guys, I have an important question. I was sure I had understood it before, but I might have it wrong. For the national vgc, how exactly will the swiss round work? I know you won't get out if you lose once, but would you end up versing the same player twice? I'm asking because much of my strategy depends on surprise, and if I know I can't counter the opponent's strategy and he knows he can counter mine, it would really make it much harder, because then you'd have to gear your team to be able to use 2 or maybe even 3 different strategies to catch opponents by surprise.

Ok guys, I have an important question. I was sure I had understood it before, but I might have it wrong. For the national vgc, how exactly will the swiss round work? I know you won't get out if you lose once, but would you end up versing the same player twice? I'm asking because much of my strategy depends on surprise, and if I know I can't counter the opponent's strategy and he knows he can counter mine, it would really make it much harder, because then you'd have to gear your team to be able to use 2 or maybe even 3 different strategies to catch opponents by surprise.
Wait, if your team relies on surprise and you will eventually be playing best 2-out-of-3, how is that going to work out? And I think it all depends on your opponents win/loss, that's how they see who you go up against. Although, I don't think they'll put you up against someone you already faced in swiss. Possibly they might in best out of 3 eliminations from someone you faced in swiss, but don't quote me on that.

Sorry I am not really pro. So what is the perfect team that covers all strats? Maybe i didn't word my question correctly. I have 5 mons that work great and can overcome many strats that I have seen at regional tournaments and the like, however there is 1 spot remaining. Should you be playing a TW, TR, or the next "top" team of T-wave, which sixth spot pokemon from my original list would you be most worried about, not that you wouldn't be focusing on the other 5 or anything. Just looking for a simple answear this time, and not unhelpful criticism based off little to no knowledge of the whole situation.

Thanks
The one thing I can think of is whimsicott. You can set up tailwind to counter tailwind, tr to counter tr and safegaurd to block twave or spore. But TTS was right, if you ream is weak to a lot then just adding whimsicott wont make it a whole lot better. A good team plays well in and out of TR and TW. I recommend giving one of your mons (a genie if you have it) substitute to stall out TR and TW also.

In the swiss rounds you only face one opponent one time each. Lets say you have 7 matches, you face 7 different people. Now if you make it to the finals then it is 2 out of 3, meaning surprise wont be as good. Also if you face someone in finals who you faced in swiss (not too likely but still possible) then surprise is definitely not on your side. You might want to have a surprise aspect, but not rely on that aspect. You could even set it up so there are two surprises or something. Surprise teams are good but make sure you got a back up also.

How many speed evs do I need to invest into a jolly landorus with choice scarf to outspeed a max speed/timid nature non scarfed whimsicott?

Actually I need to outspend a max speed scarfed jellisent?

How early should I arrive on Friday for the LCQ? I live in Indianapolis, so it's no big getting there at any time, and I'm not worried about parking (we're going to be parking somewhere else and walking anyway), but I want to make sure we get a place in line and get to participate. We'll be in the Masters division.

Also anyone know any attractions in Indianapolis? Museums and other stuff for example?
I know this was asked like 5 days ago or something, but there are some cool museums around here. The world's largest children's museum (of course good for enjoying as a family with children) is here. It's a really interesting place and has an IMAX theatre.

There's the Indianapolis Museum of Art which always has some cool exhibits, a beautiful arts garden, and a bar. It's a good place to go on a date, or just go and see for yourself. I love this place, personally!

There's also the Eitljorg, a museum of American Indian and Western stuff... I like it a lot.

And of course the Indiana State Museum :)

The shopping mall is somewhat an attraction, but it's nothing spectacular, but a place to hang out. There's a Gameworks video arcade there with some cool stuff (House of the Dead 4 machine! And uh, lots of racing games, including a Mario Kart GP or whatever machine, 3 or 4 Dance Dance Revolution mixes, novelty games, etc. They have an Initial D machine that floats around like a ride when you play, lolol)

Of course, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway is here. I'm not really into all the racing stuff, so I don't know what kind of events or races are happening this weekend. There's also a zoo.

Plus the downtown scene (cafes, restaurants, bars, whatever) is colorful and amiable.

Well, that's just stuff I think of when I think of Indy. I'm sure there's a bunch of really famous, important, or attractive things I'm forgetting. There are plenty of cool parks and stuff, too. My band performs evenings at parks around the Indianapolis area once or twice a month, but we just had a performance last week and won't be doing anything this week. There's also, of course, sports and stuff, but considering the Pokemon event will be taking a lot of your time, I doubt you'll be buying tickets to concerts or games.

How early should I arrive on Friday for the LCQ? I live in Indianapolis, so it's no big getting there at any time, and I'm not worried about parking (we're going to be parking somewhere else and walking anyway), but I want to make sure we get a place in line and get to participate. We'll be in the Masters division.

I know this was asked like 5 days ago or something, but there are some cool museums around here. The world's largest children's museum (of course good for enjoying as a family with children) is here. It's a really interesting place and has an IMAX theatre.

There's the Indianapolis Museum of Art which always has some cool exhibits, a beautiful arts garden, and a bar. It's a good place to go on a date, or just go and see for yourself. I love this place, personally!

There's also the Eitljorg, a museum of American Indian and Western stuff... I like it a lot.

And of course the Indiana State Museum :)

The shopping mall is somewhat an attraction, but it's nothing spectacular, but a place to hang out. There's a Gameworks video arcade there with some cool stuff (House of the Dead 4 machine! And uh, lots of racing games, including a Mario Kart GP or whatever machine, 3 or 4 Dance Dance Revolution mixes, novelty games, etc. They have an Initial D machine that floats around like a ride when you play, lolol)

Of course, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway is here. I'm not really into all the racing stuff, so I don't know what kind of events or races are happening this weekend. There's also a zoo.

Plus the downtown scene (cafes, restaurants, bars, whatever) is colorful and amiable.

Well, that's just stuff I think of when I think of Indy. I'm sure there's a bunch of really famous, important, or attractive things I'm forgetting. There are plenty of cool parks and stuff, too. My band performs evenings at parks around the Indianapolis area once or twice a month, but we just had a performance last week and won't be doing anything this week. There's also, of course, sports and stuff, but considering the Pokemon event will be taking a lot of your time, I doubt you'll be buying tickets to concerts or games.
Wow, thanks for the tips :D we'll be sure to check out the art museum when we're not pokemoning (that might be all of the time, unfortunately).

Masters line starts getting tickets at 1 PM, and i don't think it will be full. 12:30 should be good if you're feeling nervous, or even 12. I think 11:30 would be wasting your time a little bit.

Wait, is this true? The words "apparently met" mean the Pokemon is hacked and not legal to enter Nationals?
No, that means someone else caught/hatched/transferred the Pokémon. I don't see why they wouldn't allow that (although if it has your exact OT and ID and says "Apparently met" then it's hacked).

No, that means someone else caught/hatched/transferred the Pokémon. I don't see why they wouldn't allow that (although if it has your exact OT and ID and says "Apparently met" then it's hacked).
It is possible for two people to have the same OT and ID and possible to even have the same SID, so it probably won't say it is hacked or you can explain to them what the problem is like JRank did with mattj's Weavile last year.

It is possible for two people to have the same OT and ID and possible to even have the same SID, so it probably won't say it is hacked or you can explain to them what the problem is like JRank did with mattj's Weavile last year.
Did he get disqualified?

Edit: Oh, aww.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Masters line starts getting tickets at 1 PM, and i don't think it will be full. 12:30 should be good if you're feeling nervous, or even 12. I think 11:30 would be wasting your time a little bit.
I disagree vehemently. Never underestimate how many pokenerds are going to show up for this, get there at LEAST an hour beforehand.

Wait, is this true? The words "apparently met" mean the Pokemon is hacked and not legal to enter Nationals?
The issue with the above-mentioned Tornadus isn't that it was 'apparently met', but rather that it was apparently met at level 35, when Tornadus is supposed to appear at level 40.

Whew. Ok, thanks everyone. You put out a mini freak-out that was happening in my brain lol. I had made some trades and some of my planned Nationals Pokemon have the "apparently met" tag. Is there somewhere I can check to see that the Pokemon were met at the appropriate level?

Whew. Ok, thanks everyone. You put out a mini freak-out that was happening in my brain lol. I had made some trades and some of my planned Nationals Pokemon have the "apparently met" tag. Is there somewhere I can check to see that the Pokemon were met at the appropriate level?
Just use Serebii.

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/location/641.shtml

^ as an example. You can also upload them to pokecheck and run their legality checker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)