Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually have to agree with Zog to an extent. But I do think Taunt is useful against pure supporters, because then you've basically taken them out without letting your opponent send something else in to replace it.
Something like sableye or whimsicott would become useless ones taunted...but in most cases you're better off KOing it or just ignoring it and taking out your opponent's other three.

Zog isn't entirely wrong about Taunt not being very useful in some situations, but nobody should believe his comment about "assume your opponent is terrible", especially at a high-level tournament like Nationals or Worlds. It's best to play safe whenever you can and don't take any risks until you can asses your opponents playstyle and how they usually predict.

I don't think this got answered so here it is again.
how do I know if 2 Pokemon do well together on a team or 6 Pokemon thanks
There's no quick, easy or definitive answer to that. It takes experience, practice, and know how to build a good team. However, learning some basic tactics and synergy would be a good place to start, so I recommend reading some articles here on Smogon, particually this one:
http://www.smogon.com/bw/articles/double_battles

I have a question. What would be better for my team, a DW Blaziken and a cresselia or a breloom and a cresselia? How about a Lucario and a Cresselia? Or, would it be better to scrap that and go with togekiss and Garchomp?

Edit: I would like to clarify that it is a follow me Togekiss.

I have a question. What would be better for my team, a DW Blaziken and a cresselia or a breloom and a cresselia? How about a Lucario and a Cresselia? Or, would it be better to scrap that and go with togekiss and Garchomp?

Edit: I would like to clarify that it is a follow me Togekiss.
What's the rest of the team? We can't really make a good call without it.

The rest of the team is going to be latios, Haxorus, Metagross, and my last slot is up for choice, and those aforementioned pairs are for my opening pair. Usually, the four Pokemon I will take in are the pair, Latios, and Metagross. Haxorus seems a bit frail for this. Latios' special attack can come in handy, while Haxorus could be substituted if I deem that the opposing team has no physical walls.

To everyone before: I wasn't really saying that Taunt was the best move ever, but it still is a good move against stopping supporters and stopping some setups such as Shell Smash Cloyster, and can guarantee that your opponent won't Protect-stall the next couple of turns. The Encore/Taunt strategy is also one that I think is a bit underused, and can be very deadly.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The rest of the team is going to be latios, Haxorus, Metagross, and my last slot is up for choice, and those aforementioned pairs are for my opening pair. Usually, the four Pokemon I will take in are the pair, Latios, and Metagross. Haxorus seems a bit frail for this. Latios' special attack can come in handy, while Haxorus could be substituted if I deem that the opposing team has no physical walls.
Instead of maxing out your Attack EVs on Haxorus, you should put them into HP and defenses, to boost survivability. Its base Attack is already so sky-high that adding EVs will not significantly change its damage output.

breh

強いだね
@Thadenvy:

Wait, so is your team x/x/Latios/Haxorus/Metagross/x? Do you have three mons that you've cemented or four?

hi there! I don't know if this question was mentioned already but...how about a sub-forum or at least a thread about VGC 2013 to discuss the metagame and for pokemon analisys?? :D

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
hi there! I don't know if this question was mentioned already but...how about a sub-forum or at least a thread about VGC 2013 to discuss the metagame and for pokemon analisys?? :D
We won't have anything for VGC 13 until we know the rules. Discussion of it would go in this forum when it's announced, and a VGC 13 Analyses section will be made in C&C.

@Breh I have three mons cemented, but I think I've decided to have a Metagross and Latios be my opening pair, so I have Haxorus, and three mons to be decided.

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What do you guys prefer, Hitmontop or Scrafty as a fake out user?
Well it depends on the rest of your team, but from first glance hitmontop has more utility. Scrafty is outsped by many other fake outers so he could very well just get flinched himself. Hitmontop can run intimidate for support or even run a life orb and technician to just get off a good chunk of damage on an opponent. That being said, I used to run speed EVs on scrafty to outpace some common FOers in the meta.

What do you guys prefer, Hitmontop or Scrafty as a fake out user?
Scrafty's main use is on trick room teams, as it has lower speed and more bulk. In general, though, Hitmontop is more popular because it has intimidate, a very powerful STAB move in Close Combat, and access to wide guard. However, Scrafty has the ability to ohko latios and do significant damage to Cresslia. Still, I would recommend Hitmontop over Scrafty for pretty much any team that isn't trickroom. If you want, you could definitely try out both Pokemon on your team and see which one works better.
Hope that helps :)

edit: yeah, and fighting weakness definitely sucks :P

I'd say Hitmontop, definitely. Although Scrafty can effectively check Latios and Cresselia, and gets STAB with its Dark-type move of choice Crunch (Top's Sucker Punch doesn't), it's very weak to Fighting, one of the most common move types in VGC. Plus, Hitmontop's abilities are, as said before, much more useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)