Ask simple questions here! [READ ORIGINAL POST before posting]

okay so node build doesnt seem to work anymore, every time i edit a .js file in a -dist. folder and run node build it doesnt reflect in the primary folder. is there any way to fix this? thanks

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
okay so node build doesnt seem to work anymore, every time i edit a .js file in a -dist. folder and run node build it doesnt reflect in the primary folder. is there any way to fix this? thanks
Thats because the build folder is whats being built by node build. Its built from the typescript files elsewhere in the repo. Your actually just wiping out any changes you make in the JS files when you start the server up. To make edits, change the typescript files and not anything in a dist folder.

Why is imprison preventing me from taking back my turn? It always greys out there options I can't pick anyway so what's going on? My thought process usually involves choosing something and then fixing it when I think of a better play, and imprison is causing me to lose advantage and possibly even games due to this effect that doesn't make sense.

Attachments

Why is imprison preventing me from taking back my turn? It always greys out there options I can't pick anyway so what's going on? My thought process usually involves choosing something and then fixing it when I think of a better play, and imprison is causing me to lose advantage and possibly even games due to this effect that doesn't make sense.
When your opponent has Imprisoned you, you can't use any of the moves that they know. However, the actual game doesn't tell you which moves those are until you try to select them - which is to say that the fact that you're able to select a move at all gives you information about your opponent. But remember that you can't cancel your move in the actual game! In other words, which moves you can select is something you can't know without committing to use that move for the turn, as long as it's possible.

In the official games, since you can't cancel a move, this actually affects the way that you play.
If you try to use a move, you are advancing the game state by essentially asking "is this allowed?" or "does my opponent also know this move?" - just by even attempting to choose a move, you are progressing the game by irreversibly changing what you know and what actions are available to you. If the move can't be selected, you gain the ability to try another one and also learn that your opponent knows the same move. If the move can be selected, you lose the ability to select a move in exchange for learning that your opponent does not know the same move. You're always making progress by selecting a move.
On the surface, this doesn't seem all that different from any other move, because you already can't cancel an action in-game - but actually, if every time you attempt to select a move tells you something, then being able to go back on that lets you check all four possibilities at the same time, which is a tangible difference from the cartridge! Just try to think of a situation when you could use this to your advantage - like if you want to know if the opposing Mew has Stealth Rock, but you don't actually want to use Stealth Rock. If you're playing on cartridge, you have to take a risk to find out - if you select Stealth Rock to "test" whether Imprison allows it, and the opposing Mew does have Stealth Rock, then you've learned that information and you still get to pick a move... but if the opposing Mew doesn't have Stealth Rock, you'll be stuck using Stealth Rock whether you like it or not. On Showdown, if you could cancel your move, it would just be a matter of being fast enough - you could click Stealth Rock, see that Mew doesn't have it, and then back out and pick something else anyway.
That's why Showdown doesn't let you cancel certain actions in cases like this - because it would actually be changing how the game works and even allowing you to "cheat" just to accommodate for it, whereas normally it's only a matter of convenience.

(It's the same reason that you can't cancel a switch if you're facing an opponent that might have a trapping Ability or might not, like Gothitelle - if the game showed you that you could switch and then just let you cancel, you would know that you weren't trapped but could still carry on with some other move, whereas if you were playing in the real game, you would have no way to confirm that it didn't have Shadow Tag if you wanted your action that turn to be an attack.)

What if I want to setup a custom client to bind some custom forms and fakemons to their sprites, that are contained in a repository that is different from the ones on "https//play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/...", is there any tutorial on how to setup a custom client that uses custom sprites?
I just need to know what line of code has to be modified, bc I found this but I'm not sure that modifying it is enough to show a custom sprite as I've seen some settings about animations and all that stuff.
I think PS coders should update the code to show custom sprites by setting up something on server side, as there are many users that would find it useful for their servers.

Related to the previous question, but where is the code that handles displaying minisprites? I wanted to see if I could take a crack at this suggestion. (Granted the images I have aren't the best recolors)

Anything else I would need before I attempted this?

Lionyx

メラミ
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
I'm having trouble understanding something. I have a Gothitelle with Taunt and Protect in VGC 2020, whenever I try to use it, the options for Taunt and Protect are greyed out, in every situation... what is going on? Is this a bug?
Is your held item an Assault Vest? This prevents status moves from being used.

So can I ask questions about bots here?

I'm having trouble getting mine to work, i.e using moves or sending chats.

If I try
Code:
ws.send("/choose move " + move + "|" + RQID);
then I get the result
|popup|Your message could not be sent:||||2||||It needs to be sent to a user or room.
however if I specify the room and try
Code:
ws.send("battle-gen8randombattle-" + RoomID + "|" + "/choose move " + move + "|" + RQID);
then I get this
|pm| USERNAME|~|/error /choose - must be used in a chat room, not a console
How do I make sure it runs in the chat room, not the console, and am I missing something here?

Hello, I just ran across a very unusual battle situation in a Random Battle, and I wasn't sure whether this was a bug in Showdown (a divergence from how the cartridge games play) or actually the way this strange situation would play out. Sorry if this is not the right place to post, I'm just unsure whether this is actually a problem or not. Anyway, here's the replay... Replay

On turn 7, my Cramorant hits his Mr. Rime with Surf, bringing it down to 24% HP. His Mr. Rime then uses Rapid Spin, dealing 17% to my Cramorant. This triggers my Gulp Missile, which knocks out his Mr. Rime. The Stealth Rocks I laid down a few turns earlier are not cleared by his Rapid Spin.

If I'm understanding correctly, my Gulp Missile was activated after the damage of Rapid Spin but before its secondary hazard-clearing effect. Because Mr. Rime fainted after the Gulp Missile, the secondary effect did not activate and the SR were not cleared.

Needless to say, this had a big impact on the rest of the match, but I'm mainly interested in whether this is working as intended. My gut reaction was to expect SR to go away, because Rapid Spin did indeed connect and deal damage. Any insight you all might have is much appreciated.

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
My gut reaction was to expect SR to go away, because Rapid Spin did indeed connect and deal damage.
Unsure. With rapid spin -> rocky helmet/rough skin -> faint hazards are not cleared so this may also be the case here but it needs research.

Unsure. With rapid spin -> rocky helmet/rough skin -> faint hazards are not cleared so this may also be the case here but it needs research.
Interesting. It seems like there is a priority list beyond the familiar one for moves. Priorities for different secondary effects is a very subtle matter.

In this battle, my opponent named their mons after digimon, and their sprites became unrecognizable. It forces you to keep very careful track or constantly mouse over the sprites and it gets pretty annoying. It's definitely like a cheese thing because they're playing for OLT. My question is, would it be possible to like remove this feature on standard ladders or something? Is it even a feature?

Edit: Oops sorry, thanks DrPumpkinz !

Last edited:
In this battle, my opponent named their mons after digimon, and their sprites became unrecognizable. It forces you to keep very careful track or constantly mouse over the sprites and it gets pretty annoying. It's definitely like a cheese thing because they're playing for OLT. My question is, would it be possible to like remove this feature on standard ladders or something? Is it even a feature?
You posted the battle room instead of the replay, but nothing weird shows up in the replay, so here's a screenshot of the end screen of the battle. Thankfully the room hadn't expired.

digimon showdown.PNG

Is bad sportsmanship a valid reason to report someone on Showdown? I'm a stall player so bad sportsmanship from frustrated opponents is unfortunately kind of common for me to see, so the option would be appreciated.

Is bad sportsmanship a valid reason to report someone on Showdown? I'm a stall player so bad sportsmanship from frustrated opponents is unfortunately kind of common for me to see, so the option would be appreciated.
I feel like in your particular instance, those people would just as quickly report you for the same reason, because "ooga booga aaron no let me ohko aaron mean"

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
PS Admin
If someone is breaking the rules in your battle (in chat, in PMs with you, ect) feel free to report them! Stall is not banned, and users do not have a right to harass others because they dislike the play style you are using. If your unsure if they are breaking the rules, feel free to report anyways and mention that your unsure if its breaking a rule. I'm sure a moderator would be happy to take a look and clarify things.

Heya, have been getting fed up with some stuff rn on PS!. Darned thing won’t let me login, and when it finally does after 5 mins of spamming my username, when I attempt to try to type a message in a chat, bada-bing-bada-boom I’m disconnected. Oh, and it’s not my wifi either. Tested it out on a few other online games and it worked perfectly fine.

Some way i can make a folder for formats or some teams in mobile because i can't ( I can only Whit PC Version Of This Site Enabled) but some hoe i can do without the option ?
Screenshot_20200828-083408_Chrome.jpg

is there a reason why /roomlog and /chatlog are only available to RO's (or other staff ranks i dont know)
Those commands are reserved for staff members whenever an evaluation of some sort needs to be done. They are available to Room Drivers (%) and above - the users who have any permission to look back on the room's history to search for evidence in situations that require logs proof of some sort.

Also, roomlogs is essentially the same as viewing older logs through /modlog , which again, is only entrusted to staff members..

Technically, since viewing older logs through /modlog requires % or above, you wouldn't be able to access them through /roomlogs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)