Ask simple questions here! [READ ORIGINAL POST before posting]

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
When I try to backup my teams it comes up as a large block of text instead of something I can paste into a pokepaste. Is there an easy way to solve this?

You have too many teams, so to prevent your browser from freezing and crashing when you open the backup/restore all page, it gives you your teams in a compressed format known as packed format. You can import a packed team into showdown just like an unpacked one, you can also restore all your teams from that large list of packed ones.

As for saving it to pokepaste, why can't you just save it there? Its just text like anything else. The only thing is you wont be able to scroll through and view the details on the pokemon easily. If you actually can't consider an alternative storage medium like emailing yourself, pastebin, or saving it to a text file on your computer.

Not sure where to go to find out a good learning format for new players. is there any non outdated threads or videos i missed. (I know how to use showdown its just just learning to play the game)

Last edited:
Idk if this is a bug or not, but I'm the curious type so I'm trying to figure out what is happening.

I logged in on Smogtours today and saw that my teambuilder was empty. Then I got onto main, and saw that my teambuilder had all the stuff on it. But when I selected Gen 1 OU as the format to challenge an opponent (on main), it said I had no Gen 1 OU teams to select from. I had to play someone on stours so I copy-pasted 3 teams on there. I was in a rush so unfortunately, I do not have a screenshot from this time when it said on both domains that I had no Gen 1 OU teams to play with.

Now later, I log out and pick a different alt. On main everything is normal, I can select any team to play someone in Gen 1 OU, but the 3 teams I pasted aren't there. Whereas on Smogtours, the builder has only those 3 teams. The issue I had with selecting a team for ladder on main...is that a bug?
Also, I made a new account on another computer, will update with screenshots later: cookies were the same between main and Smogtours. Why did the teams I made get deleted from Smogtours on my home computer?
main.png

smogtours.png

Edit: It seems changing alts had no effect, it was just a coincidence.

Last edited:
What is the actual probability on whether a 2-5 hit multi-hit move will roll 4 or 5 hits when the user is holding the Loaded Dice?

Hello,

Why can't Basculegion use aqua tail in showdown?
I tried several formats in gen IX
Serebi & Bulbapedia states, that it can learn the attack (through breeding according to bulbapedia)

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Hello,

Why can't Basculegion use aqua tail in showdown?
I tried several formats in gen IX
Serebi & Bulbapedia states, that it can learn the attack (through breeding according to bulbapedia)
I'm not finding Aqua Tail on Basculegion on either site listed, are you sure your not mistaken?

It only gets it in PLA and can't keep the move when transfered to SV.
Ok, but why can't I use it in the Format "National Dex AG" (Gen 9)? I think / thought that I can use attacks from other Gens / Games before, too.
Or do I have to use an other format for it?

Ok, but why can't I use it in the Format "National Dex AG" (Gen 9)? I think / thought that I can use attacks from other Gens / Games before, too.
Or do I have to use an other format for it?
Nat Dex doesn't include moves Pokemon only get in BDSP or PLA for some reason.

How do I pull up the thing to show my elo like you do in suspect tests? Is there any penalty to resetting your win/loss rate? On a broader spectrum, is there a list of chat commands anywhere?

Irpachuza

You didn't get this far by giving up, did you?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Random Battle Lead
How do I pull up the thing to show my elo like you do in suspect tests? Is there any penalty to resetting your win/loss rate? On a broader spectrum, is there a list of chat commands anywhere?
/rank (optionally you can do /rank, [format], or input the command on a battle of the desired format, to see only the points of that single one).

No, there is really no penalty as what usually matters are ELO and GXE. Be careful of doing so on suspects, though, as the number of games played delimits the threshold you should thrive for, so try no to reset them there.

A general list of commands can be found with /help, and you can see different instructions from most commands by using /help [command]

/rank (optionally you can do /rank, [format], or input the command on a battle of the desired format, to see only the points of that single one).

No, there is really no penalty as what usually matters are ELO and GXE. Be careful of doing so on suspects, though, as the number of games played delimits the threshold you should thrive for, so try no to reset them there.

A general list of commands can be found with /help, and you can see different instructions from most commands by using /help [command]
It doesn't reset your GXE? Does that mean that if I'm doing badly, I have to make another alt to get that 80% GXE?

I want to use pokemonshowdown's API to conduct a doubles battle based on vgc rules, but I cannot use my own team. I can only use the teams that have been saved in my account. And every time I connect, I need to manually select a team, which is very inconvenient.

The error returned to me is: This format requires you to use your own team.||- If you're not using a custom client, please report this as a bug.

So I want to know how to access the saved teams in the account through the API and join the battle directly?

Hecate

Be the serpent under't
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmer
PS Admin
I want to use pokemonshowdown's API to conduct a doubles battle based on vgc rules, but I cannot use my own team. I can only use the teams that have been saved in my account. And every time I connect, I need to manually select a team, which is very inconvenient.

The error returned to me is: This format requires you to use your own team.||- If you're not using a custom client, please report this as a bug.

So I want to know how to access the saved teams in the account through the API and join the battle directly?
Call https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/api/getteams while logged in to get the sparse list of your teams (teamid, list of mons[]).
Then when you're going to battle, call https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/api/getteam with a teamid provided to get the full team. Send it to the server with /utm (to the websocket), then start a battle search with /search.

Hello! Thanks for all your hard work, I love Pokemon Showdown. I was wondering, me and my friend like to play chess where we have a day or two to take our moves, but the Pokemon Showdown room expires after 15 minutes. Is there any way to disable the room expiring so that we can come and go and take our turns whenever we want? Thanks for your help!

Mathy

F░U░R░R░E░T░ I░N░ B░I░O░
is a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Hello! Thanks for all your hard work, I love Pokemon Showdown. I was wondering, me and my friend like to play chess where we have a day or two to take our moves, but the Pokemon Showdown room expires after 15 minutes. Is there any way to disable the room expiring so that we can come and go and take our turns whenever we want? Thanks for your help!
Thanks for the kind words :) This is a really good idea but sadly the sim is just not built for it. It's designed to be held in RAM while you send commands and play; trying to make it a correspondence game would require saving the entire state of the battle or replaying it turn for turn each time, neither of which we have the resources for. It's easy with chess because the states of the game, and how player choices affect them, are extremely simple compared to a game like Pokemon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)