Ask simple questions here! [READ ORIGINAL POST before posting]

How do custom games work? I see an option to challenge someone to a custom game, but how do I actually customize it?
It's not the game that's custom, it's what you bring. So, via import export, you can set your pokemon to level 9999, give them 24 moves, any ability, all evs, and any item. You can also use formes from the start, like just clicking Mega Rayquaza or Darmanitan-Zen. Unlike Balanced Hackmons, which is a metagame, Custom Game is for testing; thus, everything is legal, including abilities such as Wonder Guard a sim-only move called Magikarp's Revenge. You may also find that people use custom game to play certain <other metagames> not available on the main server.

It's not the game that's custom, it's what you bring. So, via import export, you can set your pokemon to level 9999, give them 24 moves, any ability, all evs, and any item. You can also use formes from the start, like just clicking Mega Rayquaza or Darmanitan-Zen. Unlike Balanced Hackmons, which is a metagame, Custom Game is for testing; thus, everything is legal, including abilities such as Wonder Guard a sim-only move called Magikarp's Revenge. You may also find that people use custom game to play certain <other metagames> not available on the main server.
I see. So, if I wanted to, I could...

Use unreleased mega stones?
Use mega stones on any Pokémon?
Agree with others to play obscure OMs not coded as official formats?

I'm thinking of playing some interesting metas with a friend of mine, like OU "mega stone bank".

EDIT: I know mix and mega is on the ladder, but is it possible to challenge to a version with, for example, stone x unbanned?

I see. So, if I wanted to, I could...

Use unreleased mega stones?
Use mega stones on any Pokémon?
Agree with others to play obscure OMs not coded as official formats?

I'm thinking of playing some interesting metas with a friend of mine, like OU "mega stone bank".

EDIT: I know mix and mega is on the ladder, but is it possible to challenge to a version with, for example, stone x unbanned?
The first is possible.
The second is not.
The third is possible.

Check on http://rom.psim.us/ if you want to use unreleased stones, unless urkerab has patched that.

Hey, sorry if this has been asked before, but since PS displays HP as xx%, I want to know how it rounds numbers?

Say there was a pokemon with 1000 max HP, how would PS display it's health for these totals: 1230, 1250, 1290

Say there was a pokemon with 1000 max HP, how would PS display it's health for these totals: 1230, 1250, 1290
How would it have 1230-1290 HP if its max was 1000?

If you're a player, then your own Pokémon's exact HP is shown directly, but the client also shows you a percentage. In this case, the percentage is calculated by the client and rounded to 1 decimal place.
When watching formats using the HP Percentage Mod, PS rounds towards 99%: 971-980 would display 98%, 981-999 would display 99%.
Other formats round towards 1/48.

How would it have 1230-1290 HP if its max was 1000?

If you're a player, then your own Pokémon's exact HP is shown directly, but the client also shows you a percentage. In this case, the percentage is calculated by the client and rounded to 1 decimal place.
When watching formats using the HP Percentage Mod, PS rounds towards 99%: 971-980 would display 98%, 981-999 would display 99%.
Other formats round towards 1/48.
Sorry, one too many zeroes on these numbers. 123 125 and 129.

I know I can see the exact number on my pokemon, but afaik I can't for the opponent's? The reason for this question is that effects like SR do exactly 12.5% damage (if their max HP mod 8 is 0) but their HP is displayed as either 12% or 13%

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Sorry, one too many zeroes on these numbers. 123 125 and 129.

I know I can see the exact number on my pokemon, but afaik I can't for the opponent's? The reason for this question is that effects like SR do exactly 12.5% damage (if their max HP mod 8 is 0) but their HP is displayed as either 12% or 13%
Those numbers would be rounded up shown as 13% since its a multiple of 8. If it's not a multiple of 8, it would show up as 12% since the game tries to get 1/8 of your max health, gets a decimal, floors the number & that's the damage done to you. The damage done to you would not be 12.5% or higher & so the game rounds to 12%.

Are all Pokemon Showdown matches logged?

I wanted to mess around with match histories for a personal project: building a Pokemon AI based on machine learning. The first step for such an AI would be getting a big corpus of match logs from strong players.

It would also be fun to do analysis on team composition this way: see what Pokemon show up frequently with other Pokemon, or see if certain Pokemon like Magnezone win much more often when specific other Pokemon show up on the opposing team.

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Are all Pokemon Showdown matches logged?

I wanted to mess around with match histories for a personal project: building a Pokemon AI based on machine learning. The first step for such an AI would be getting a big corpus of match logs from strong players.

It would also be fun to do analysis on team composition this way: see what Pokemon show up frequently with other Pokemon, or see if certain Pokemon like Magnezone win much more often when specific other Pokemon show up on the opposing team.
You can save replays of your battles at the end of a match, as well as find replays of others. These can be found on the replay database here

You can save replays of your battles at the end of a match, as well as find replays of others. These can be found on the replay database here
Okay, thanks. So replays must be saved manually by individual players, but it looks like lots of players do this.

Should I contact someone in particular to ask for a copy of the entire (public) replay database? Or is there a bulk download API?

truedrew

Banned deucer.
Is it possible to have an admin check all the alts that are registered by a user (for example I want to know exactly what alts I have registered since I do not remember them all) and if so where would I go around contacting admins since I do not want to post in other admin requests without clarity

I just tried to talk in a chatroom on the main server and the following message was displayed:
"Due to spam from your ISP, you can't speak except to staff."
Was there a range ban in my area? I'm confused since I almost never chat... The account I was using wasn't autoconfirmed, but the room I was trying to talk in (Rate My Team) didn't seem to have moderated chat on since it didn't say anything about it when I tried to talk.

Ceteris Paribus

I am inevitable.
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I just tried to talk in a chatroom on the main server and the following message was displayed:
"Due to spam from your ISP, you can't speak except to staff."
Was there a range ban in my area? I'm confused since I almost never chat... The account I was using wasn't autoconfirmed, but the room I was trying to talk in (Rate My Team) didn't seem to have moderated chat on since it didn't say anything about it when I tried to talk.
Yeah this seems to be most likely an IP ban which someone from your area might have caused. I suggest you go to the help room on PS! and talk to one of the Moderators (@) regarding this, they may be able to help you out further.

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is it possible to have an admin check all the alts that are registered by a user (for example I want to know exactly what alts I have registered since I do not remember them all) and if so where would I go around contacting admins since I do not want to post in other admin requests without clarity
It is indeed possible, but for security reasons (e.g. if you're on a public IP) and because admins are very busy as a whole, they don't do it in cases like this.

If you need an admin, talk to a moderator in Help, who will either direct you to/contact an admin or explain why admin help isn't needed/appropriate.

boxofkangaroos

this is the day of the expanding man
Legitimately curious: is Showdown legal? Clearly it uses all of the Pokemon characters, which are obviously intellectual property of Game Freak. Does Showdown use some sort of license in order to use the characters legally?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)