Pokémon Aurorus

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Serebii got some of this guy's egg moves and they are Barrier, Discharge, Haze, Magnet Rise, and Mirror Coat. Serebii doesn't however show what to breed these with to get the egg moves yet.

I think Barrier could help, not sure how much, but Barrier basically doubles its Def right?

Discharge is cool if you want a chance to paralyze them, I'd still use T-Bolt though.

Haze is cool, but Roar and Whirlwind are better.

Magnet Rise removes its Ground weakness, awesome.

Mirror Coat could be good, but I don't think people are gonna waste their time using special attacks against this when they could probably KO it with Bullet Punch.

Probably still more to come! Thoughts?

Aurorus's Return, counting the Refrigerate boost and STAB, has a BP of almost 200. Although I don't know how good it would be to even go Physical with Aurorus.

I honestly don't see much use for this thing other than a second Snow Warning user when it's available. It's slow, has garbage defense, and an absolute garbage defensive typing. It gets some neat toys thanks to refrigerate, sure -that Return gimmick looks neat- but it's overall just kind of... bleh.

Also, lol hyper beam

I honestly don't see much use for this thing other than a second Snow Warning user when it's available. It's slow, has garbage defense, and an absolute garbage defensive typing. It gets some neat toys thanks to refrigerate, sure -that Return gimmick looks neat- but it's overall just kind of... bleh.

Also, lol hyper beam
Problem I have with hie, it that its like eggucutor, its good on paper, but has way to many weakness, but this on has a double to fighting and steel, which are everywhere

Garchompi

Banned deucer.
There is no reaosn not to run Hyper Beam on a Refrigerate Choice Specs set when Aurorus already has perfect coverage Nature Power, Thunderbolt and Hidden Power. What else are you going to run as its 4th move anyway?

There is no reaosn not to run Hyper Beam on a Refrigerate Choice Specs set when Aurorus already has perfect coverage Nature Power, Thunderbolt and Hidden Power. What else are you going to run as its 4th move anyway?
There is no reason to run TB over STAB freeze dry unless you're worried about hitting ice types. Nature power, Freeze Dry, HP, and Ancient power (or hyper beam, if you feel you can pull it off with your team.)

So I tried breeding Earth Power on it... but it doesn't get it :( there goes the coverage against Steels...

From using it I can say that Freeze Dry and Ancient Power are a must. You could use Thunderbolt instead of Freeze Dry but like I said in my long post about it I like Freeze Dry more (it's also 15 BP stronger; it's like comparing Scald to Surf, just that you don't have to think about the burn chance, since TBolts Paralysis happens as often as Freeze Drys Freeze).
And the Rock move is so important... so many things wall and try to set up on you if you don't have it. It's important to hit SE on some things. And if you get to raise your stats (yes, it does happen sometimes...), then it's even better...

Also, lol hyper beam
It doesn't have "garbage" defense. It's definitely not unusable. It can have 267 if you max it (+nature), and while that doesn't seem too great you have to couple it with the HP stat. 450 HP is really good. And with its good special defense you could even run it as a special wall for some things. Waters also can't mindlessly fight against it because they have to watch out for Freeze Dry, so it's not like you don't have anything for things that try to hit you SE.

Water, Ground and Grass are super effective on it, but they won't just switch in since you can defend yourself with STAB super effective Ice moves.
It really only needs to watch out for Fighting and Steel types...

I tried running a set with weakness policy since it does have quite a few weaknesses (and not all of them should KO it with its good bulk), but I dunno... I never want to switch it into something SE and if I'm already in battle my opponent will choose/switch to Scizor/Fighting thing to hit me so it's not really something it can survive... (I run max special attack+, and some speed, with Rock Polish [RP on the SE hit so you get 2x atk, spatk and speed])

Most of the time it seems like dead weight on the team though. A different set could be a little more useful, but it's just not that great...

It really only needs to watch out for Fighting and Steel types...
For that, it can learn Psychic through TM.

Was considering this setup:

Pokemon: Aurorus
Type: Rock/Ice
Ability: Refrigerate
Nature: Timid
Item: Wise Glasses
Move1: Calm Mind
Move2: Freeze Dry
Move3: Thunderbolt
Move4: Psychic
EVs: HP: 4, SpA: 252, Spe: 252

Might not be the best setup, but it covers a lot of bases with it.

For that, it can learn Psychic through TM.

Was considering this setup:

Pokemon: Aurorus
Type: Rock/Ice
Ability: Refrigerate
Nature: Timid
Item: Wise Glasses
Move1: Calm Mind
Move2: Freeze Dry
Move3: Thunderbolt
Move4: Psychic
EVs: HP: 4, SpA: 252, Spe: 252

Might not be the best setup, but it covers a lot of bases with it.

Don't want to sound mean but EVERYTHING is wrong with this set.

You run thunderbolt to hit water types which freeze dry also does. So no need for both unless your trying to hit skarm or heatran.

Secondly you have don't have any strong stab (nature power)

Also if Weise glasses is usually inferior to all other items. If your boosting lefties is good for longivity or life orb for power.

There is no reaosn not to run Hyper Beam
fixed.
Don't want to sound mean but EVERYTHING is wrong with this set.

You run thunderbolt to hit water types which freeze dry also does. So no need for both unless your trying to hit skarm or heatran.

Secondly you have don't have any strong stab (nature power)

Also if Weise glasses is usually inferior to all other items. If your boosting lefties is good for longivity or life orb for power.
Imho, a Calm Mind Set isn't a good idea to begin with because of the terrible defensive typing. Even at +6, ANY physical attacker with fighting or steel coverage can come in and OHKO it as long as it's faster, which isn't hard to accomplish given its 58 BST in Speed.
I personally would probably rather go with Choice Specs and HP Investment; You come in on something that can't hurt you too much, get off a strong hit and switch right out.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Can we stop hyping up fucking Hyper Beam please. The Recharge turn is bad, and it always will be bad. You can bitch that the enemy +6 Gyarados will miss Stone Edge but this doesn't make Hyper Beam any better. I swear to god ill start infracting posts that needlessly "hype up" Hyper Beam as the saving grace of Aurorus because like....it isn't.

Hyper Beam is still shit. Period.

Can we stop hyping up fucking Hyper Beam please. The Recharge turn is bad, and it always will be bad. You can bitch that the enemy +6 Gyarados will miss Stone Edge but this doesn't make Hyper Beam any better. I swear to god ill start infracting posts that needlessly "hype up" Hyper Beam as the saving grace of Aurorus because like....it isn't.

Hyper Beam is still shit. Period.
It isn't the worst option on Aurorus. Sure it is a bit gimmicky, but if someone feels like they have all of the coverage they need through other moves, it becomes perfectly viable to use hyper beam as a late game option. While I agree it was over hyped earlier in the thread, I personally belive that any use of this pokemon in OU will be gimmicky at best and so you may as well use the gimmick to its fullest wallbreaking potential whether it's usefull to or not.

It isn't the worst option on Aurorus. Sure it is a bit gimmicky, but if someone feels like they have all of the coverage they need through other moves, it becomes perfectly viable to use hyper beam as a late game option. While I agree it was over hyped earlier in the thread, I personally belive that any use of this pokemon in OU will be gimmicky at best and so you may as well use the gimmick to its fullest wallbreaking potential whether it's usefull to or not.
What you're basically saying is that usage of Aurorus is pretty unorthodox, so you might as well go the whole hog and use its most preposterous options.
There have been way too many arguments against Hyper Beam's usage. You shouldn't be trying to break walls with 99 base Sp.A anyway. If it's not useful, don't use it; Nature Power is a much better option if you really want to use Refrigerate so much.

What you're basically saying is that usage of Aurorus is pretty unorthodox, so you might as well go the whole hog and use its most preposterous options.
There have been way too many arguments against Hyper Beam's usage. You shouldn't be trying to break walls with 99 base Sp.A anyway. If it's not useful, don't use it; Nature Power is a much better option if you really want to use Refrigerate so much.
If Im not mistaken its more powerful than victini's v-create which does in fact break walls. What should Aurorus run after nature power, ancient power, and maybe thunderbolt. It already gets ridiculous coverage off of those three moves and a specs set, if that becomes a set, would love a little late game power. Like I said though its as much a gimmick as using aurorus in the first place in OU. Just makes her more fun to use which is the only role I see aurorus filling in the first place in OU.

I think you missed the main argument against hyperbeam: it gives your opponent a free turn, which can easily translate to 'you lose' in any tier. Just because it has no more options doesn't mean you have to give it something bad. Does it learn any support moves at all? I'm pretty sure it learns thunder wave, dragon tail, light screen, reflect and haze, all of which are infinitely better than hyper beam and perfectly viable on a non-choiced offensive pokemon. And on a choiced set, why can't you run both freeze dry and nature power.

It's unfortunate that Aurorus' strengths in its stats are almost solely in its tanking ability, because it has among the worst defensive dual-types in the game… it sucks even worse because both are pretty good as ATTACKING types. After a bit of experimentation, I'm finding that a supportish set is what Aurorus typically does best. Its offensive power is okay, but it doesn't get a lot of moves and it's too slow to attack things without dying first a lot of the time... So this is what I came up with, and actually had some degree of success with:

Aurorus @ Leftovers
Refrigerate | Calm | 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpDef
- Nature Power / Ice Beam / Freeze Dry
- Thunder Wave
- Encore
- Substitute

The object of this is to come in on a special attacker or support Pokemon (since Aurorus' special bulk is better, and Fighting/Steel are MUCH less common as attacking types; you should pretty much run away from almost anything physical for fear of running into one or more of its many physical weaknesses), paralyze it with Thunder Wave so it's slower than you, and Encore it to trap it into a useless move while you either Sub up and kill it or switch out to something else.

Ideally, you also put or keep up a Sub as the opponent switches its paralyzed/encored mon out, enabling you to survive a hit to paralyze or ice the next thing. It's succeeded in crippling a FEW things for me, though I usually need to send in a defogger or a spinner afterward to clean up the mess that the Encored opponent makes with Spikes or Tspikes or what have you. At least it SORT of works, though. I think it's about the best that this thing can get until Snow Warning is released, unfortunately.

Someone mentioned using return in a physical set earlier. But why not try to take advantage of it's fairly good bulk and it's access to Thunderwave, and Rock Slide to make a paraflinch set?

Aurorus @ Kings Rock
Ability: Refrigerate/ Nature: Careful/Impish
252HP ???Sp Def/Def 4Atk

-Thunderwave
-Rock Slide
-Return
-Substitute/Encore/Reflect/Attract/Magic Coat

I can't see Aurorus being much of a powerful attacker so it seems to me it would be better at annoying people by throwing out a thunderwaves, and rockslides to trip your opponent up. Rockslide has a pretty decent chance to flinch at 30% I'd have it holding a King's Rock to help with those flinching chances. Return gets a pretty high power boost as well from both a 30% boost from refrigerate, plus STAB boost. So even though Aurorus's attack stat is lower than it's other stats it would still be a pretty powerful attacking move. The last slot is mostly for support. With substitute you could throw out a substitute first turn so you can set up Thunderslide. Encore works much the same way if you can trap your opponent into a status move. And Attract could stall them even better. Magic Coat is a damage option to take advantage of it's slow speed if you take a big hit.

Other options for that last Slot are Reflect for extra defense. Dragontail to force poke's out, and possibly sandstorm if you want to bulk it up that way.

I would guess that Togekiss does this a lot better. I'm mostly trying to find a way to make Aurorus useful. I haven't tried this set yet. And it lacks a way of recovering health. But you could probably pair it up with a pokemon with a healing move like wish or Healing pulse. I also think putting him on a Sandstorm team would help Aurorus greatly as it makes her even more bulky.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I think somebody at the office had a personal vendetta against this thing when it was made (why?), and was determined to not give it anything good. It has a usable spatk stat (99) and a really cool ability, but no special moves to be seen (why?)

I think the best option for this thing is to use some kind of CB/Life Orb/Toxic Orb(?) set, since using its great physical movepool (why?) with its okay atk stat (77) makes it hit about as hard as Talonflame (who has an atk of 81):

-Return/Facade
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Rock Polish?

On the bright side, a base 102/140 Ice STAB from 77 atk are great in NU, and it gets edgequake. If you can somehow get a Rock Polish off (you need to wait a turn if you're using Facade anyway), it might sweep. However, one mach punch will probably hit so hard that it goes back into a fossil. GF seems to be a big fan of wasted potential

Last edited:
What about Weakness Policy and Rock Polish with Snow warning? As long as you keep it away from steel and fighting hits and priority the bulk can likely get at least (and liekly at m ost) one rock polish in and when they prey on the weaknesss, you will get +2 in spatk. Add that with perfect accuracy blizzard and you may have a decent lower-tier lategame sweeper

What about Weakness Policy and Rock Polish with Snow warning? As long as you keep it away from steel and fighting hits and priority the bulk can likely get at least (and liekly at m ost) one rock polish in and when they prey on the weaknesss, you will get +2 in spatk. Add that with perfect accuracy blizzard and you may have a decent lower-tier lategame sweeper
Seems unlikely to succeed in any tier where Bullet Punch or Mach Punch exists (which... I think... ...is all of them). Its special movepool is too shallow, and its physical Attack is too weak, I'd argue, even with Choice Band.

I'm tellin' you guys, I think the support set I posted is going to be about the only plausible way to go with this thing. I had a fair bit of success with it.

About the only other thing I can imagine working is like a RestTalk set with like Nature Power and Tbolt or something, but it has just SO many weaknesses that there's not much you'd want to stay in against.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)