B&W Research Thread

Which Pokemon does Zoroark's Illusion Copy? It was originally thought to be the second pokemon in the party, but there is a video in the Zoroark thread that says otherwise. It is the last pokemon, the one after Zoroark...?

According to Serebii, Bull's Eye (Aiming Mark) allows the user to hit the target even if the target's type would otherwise prevent it. I remember someone claiming they tested it and could not hit Ghost-types with normal moves, but I think they may have been mistaken considering we have two sources saying the same thing.

What are the base power/mass stages for heavy bomber[m484] and heat stamp[m535], are they the same as for grass knot/low kick?

skarm

I HAVE HOTEL ROOMS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
According to Serebii, Bull's Eye (Aiming Mark) allows the user to hit the target even if the target's type would otherwise prevent it. I remember someone claiming they tested it and could not hit Ghost-types with normal moves, but I think they may have been mistaken considering we have two sources saying the same thing.
stellar busted this.

Also, guys and gals, there are four pages here (only) at the moment. Yet we have many duplicate questions already. Would it kill everyone to skim through to make sure they haven't been asked earlier today?

Mummy: When a pokemon hits Desukaan with a contact move and gets Mummy, does it keep it for the rest of the battle or loses it after switching out?

Healing Heart: In a Triple Battle, if both of your teammates have a status problem, does Healing Heart has a chance to cure both, or only one randomly? Does the position affects which teammate can be healed and which can't?
http://www.serebii.net/abilitydex/eccentric.shtml

skarm

I HAVE HOTEL ROOMS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Mummy: When a pokemon hits Desukaan with a contact move and gets Mummy, does it keep it for the rest of the battle or loses it after switching out?
I played through the game with the Sarcophagus Pokemon and played enough trainers that used it. When you contract Mummy a simple switch cures it and reset it back to your regular ability.

No, they do not. Their abilities also don't revert from the effects of Mummy/Simple Beam/etc.

Why are people using this as a second Q&A thread?

Also, I'll be testing abilities tomorrow. I'll be using codes to change abilities, so please give me a list of things to test, I have about an hour or so because of a spare.

This is NOT directed at the general public, but at the older members. I'm not going to check your every whim, I'm going to check things which need to be tested.

Death Incarnate said:
Why are people using this as a second Q&A thread?
Yeah, you're right on the money there. I just "warned" a couple duders for that, so let's make this very clear: this is not a "make the researchers answer simple questions that I could find the answers to somewhere else / ask questions about things that almost definitely identical to their gen 4 mechanics / ask questions that have been asked four times already because I'm too lazy to go find the answers myself" thread. At LEAST read the freaking original post...

Research is extremely important to what we do here at Smogon - we need this information to even really start theorizing about this game, let alone trying to make ideal teams or programming simulators. Stop shitting up this thread, if you have something that needs to be researched, great, post it, we need to consolidate what information we need to find. But for god's sake, stop asking stuff that doesn't belong in this thread.

Consider this an open warning.

On a lighter note now that I finally got my copy of the game in the mail yesterday I'm blowing through rather quickly so I should be able to help research in a day or so.

Upstart

Copy Cat
What happens when an electric type attack his a ground pokemon with lightning rod? Does the immunity or the ability activate first?

Since the grass starters ability can be self induced I was whethering competitive spirt can be self induced? Also if a pokemon has competitive spirit and is intimidated is his attack +2 negating the drop all together or is it plus 1 as it is dropped and then gains plus 2?

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Sloshed, andrea, and I have had our Dream World research stalled because the Dream World site crashed. It should be up within the next week and hopefully we can continue to learn more about the Dream World.

Also, I'll be testing abilities tomorrow. I'll be using codes to change abilities, so please give me a list of things to test, I have about an hour or so because of a spare.
There's a list in the OP of a few abilities, but I've been dying to find this out:
Do abilities like Minus, Plus, and Flower Gift work in Rotation battles if the conditions are met?
Drizzle, Sandstream, Snow Warning, and Drought activate if the Pokemon is sent out, but not the active Pokemon in a Rotation Battle?
If you can't hack your game for Plus/Minus then catching a pare of Gearl and entering them in a rotation could be used to test it too, seeing Gearl can have either + or - as an ability....

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
From this video:

Cosmetic change: Life Orb now shows some text telling you about the damage (that SEEMS to be the case, anyway)

Cosmetic change: Explosion now kills you first, then it hits the opponent. You can see it at 8:17. Previously, the opponent died before you, yet your HP bar stayed at 0.

Question(s):

What's the point of the "Wing" items (right here within the Vitamins section) when we already have the regular vitamins? Do they boost over 100 EVs each? Do they work on Level 100 Pokémon? Or are they exactly the same as the classics and are just wasting space?

Is Acid Weather in the game? To be specific, if there is a weather effect or other field effect going and a switching Pokemon is killed by Pursuit, is there a cascade of field effects like there was in Plat/HGSS? If so, in what order is the field effect cascade?

on the move 'Troll' or 'Sing A Round', which i've just been testing (albeit shakily):

serebii describes the move as "It attacks the opponent with song. If everyone sings together you can use the move in successive turns and have its power increase."

obviously this is a rather confusing description, so i've been seeing what it means exactly.

the power of the move is not boosted solely from having pokemon with Troll in your party. i had 6 of the tadpole thingies in my party and the move didn't do any more damage than with 1.

the power of the move is not boosted from having pokemon with Troll in your party and using the move in succession with the same pokemon. again, same damage.

the power of the move is not boosted by having a pokemon use Troll, switching out, and then having a second pokemon use Troll. tested this about 3 times and had the same outcome: the second pokemon using Troll does no more damage than the first one (and yes, they have the same Special Attack stat)

the power of the move does appear to be boosted if your opponent used Troll the turn prior. again, need to test this more than once, i was trying to test the third scenario and it seemed to do much more damage when an enemy tadpole thingy used Troll before me. this is definitely correct and i'd hazard a guess that it doubles the power of the move (an Otamaro (tadpole) took off 19 damage from mine whereas i probably only did 8-9 with each hit. however, i haven't accounted for differences in Special Defence).

very shitty move it seems. it may be solely useful for double / triple battles as the fourth scenario suggests, i'd take it that any pokemon on the field using Troll boosts the power of the second or third Troll. i can't reliably test this in a double battle though.

oh, and as for this

3. How frequently does the move Dragon Tail cause the foe to switch? Is the switch performed at random, or does the trainer have a choice in who is sent out?
i don't know the frequency but from experience the switch is performed at random.

TwistedSpoon - I remember reading something, pre-release, about how this item now makes Gravity and Trick Room be active for two more turns. Is that true?

Evolution Stone - "A piece of Evolutions wonder. If held, a pre-evolved Pokemon's Defence and Special Defence increase."
Does it only work on first stages/babies or does it work on second stages that can still evolve (such as Chansey and Porygon2)? By how much are the defenses increased?

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
-> Wonder Room switches everyone's Defense and Special Attack stats.
Apologies for second-guessing, but I'd read elsewhere that it switched Defense and Special Defense. Can you confirm that it's Defense and Special Attack?

On an unrelated note, my copy has shipped, so hopefully I'll be participating in the research soonish. Although this is my first import game and my Japanese is very poor, so we'll see how fast I can get up and running.

skarm

I HAVE HOTEL ROOMS
Apologies for second-guessing, but I'd read elsewhere that it switched Defense and Special Defense. Can you confirm that it's Defense and Special Attack?

On an unrelated note, my copy has shipped, so hopefully I'll be participating in the research soonish. Although this is my first import game and my Japanese is very poor, so we'll see how fast I can get up and running.
Don't apologize - I thought it was weird too. However, I read this on Serebii, which at times is highly unreliable and gives poor translations. I would have thought Defense and Special Defense as well, or Defense and Attack, not two stats on the end of the spectrum.

Granted if it pans out my original thought wasn't correct I'm going to be disappointed - the Sarcophagus with 417 Defense at Maximum screams for possibly poorly translated Wonder Room.

Life Gamble: It would be nice to know what are the exact mechanics for this move, i.e. the damage output depending on your HP etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)