B&W Research Thread

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
People wanted me to test the sleep status reset just for posterity's sake. I entered a wild double battle and this is what happened:

Code:
Denchura used Sucker Punch. But it failed!
Doredia used Sleep Powder. Denchura fell asleep.

Denchura is fast asleep. (1)
Doredia used Butterfly Dance.

DAI withdrew Denchura. DAI sent out Shanderaa.

DAI withdrew Shanderaa. DAI sent out Denchura.

Denchura is fast asleep. (2)

Denchura is fast asleep. (3)

Denchura is fast asleep. (4)

Denchura is fast asleep. (5)

Denchura is fast asleep. (6)
I can confirm that the sleep counter is reset upon switching.

I'd like to know exactly how locked into moves you are with choice items in a rotation battle. Are you locked until you switch or rotate out?

Has anyone re-tested Rest, keeping all this in mind? Does it really last for three turns now?
Rest lasts two turns and the Pokémon awakes at the third turn like it always used to be.

Tested this 20 times by using Hypnosis with the fellowing results(refering to the turn Venusaur woke up):

1 turns: 0 (immediate wake up)
2 turns: 8
3 turns: 2
4 turns: 10
5 turns: 0

It seems that sleep indeed only lasts 3 turns anymore. Quite interesting is the fact that 2-turn sleeps only happened twice, though it's possible this is just coincidence.
I have tested 50 times using Spore on Exploud.

Wake-up turn:
Turn 2: 18
Turn 3: 14
Turn 4: 18

This time results are more balanced, so it seems that each possibility has an equal 33,3 % chance to be picked.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Not going to bother testing any more as research done by me has consistently been ignored.
I appreciate your testing; I just don't necessarily acknowledge most posts because that would needlessly fill up the thread with 'thank you' posts. I hope you continue to test things, but it's up to you.

One of the things I'm really curious about is how far different abilities can reach in triple battles. We know Intimidate can only hit adjacent opponents. What about Frisk, Forewarn, Anticipation, etc?

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Not going to bother testing any more as research done by me has consistently been ignored.
I'm very sorry I skipped over many of your research posts in the thread; I don't know how I managed to do that so many times. I'm currently in the process of making sure you're being credited for all the discoveries you posted before anyone else.

In the future though, I would appreciate it if you posted your test methodologies - what Pokemon you used, what moves were used, and in the case of poorly-understood game mechanics like Rotation Battles, their postions. Etc., etc. It makes it much easier for the researchers to identify, if anything, something that might have been wrong with your test methods. Or if it leaves unanswered questions. I know it may seem pointless and redundant, especially when it seems like a simple and straightforward test, but it's a good habit it get into and I might make it required for this thread. Still, it was my fault I didn't stop and ask you for further info on your tests.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Almost sure: Effect Spore activates on every single goddamn contact move. 20 hits of poisoning, sleeping and paralysis, with the twenty-first not activating due to it being a Rock Throw (non-contact move) just can't be a coincidence.

EDIT -- Ah hell, the 22nd move did not activate it. Jesus, Tamagetake, stop trolling me...

Tentative: I haven't faced many Emongas yet, but Static hasn't been activated once by any contact move... unless the hit fainted Emonga. So, now it would have a 100% activation rate, but only when fainting. Can anyone confirm/disprove this ?_?

Almost sure: Effect Spore activates on every single goddamn contact move.

Tentative: I haven't faced many Emongas yet, but Static hasn't been activated once by any contact move... unless the hit fainted Emonga. So, now it would have a 100% activation rate, but only when fainting. Can anyone confirm/disprove this ?_?
How much have you tested these?

I appreciate your testing; I just don't necessarily acknowledge most posts because that would needlessly fill up the thread with 'thank you' posts. I hope you continue to test things, but it's up to you.

One of the things I'm really curious about is how far different abilities can reach in triple battles. We know Intimidate can only hit adjacent opponents. What about Frisk, Forewarn, Anticipation, etc?
It mostly bothers me that though I did testing on Illusion, it wasn't added to the first post until someone else tested it.

Janobii using Tackle against a wild Tamagetake:
1st turn - nothing
2nd turn - nothing
3rd turn - Effect Spore activated, Janobii was put to sleep.

I'm confused about Trick. Has it always worked like this? The part of interest is from 00:53 to 01:53.
It most definitely did not! This is a great find! This is how the Shoddy glitch functioned in early Platinum... I guess that's how Trick really works from now on!

To summarize what happened in the vid:

Pokemon A Tricked its Choice item onto Pokemon B who also had a Choice item. Then the next turn, Pokemon A was free to select a move other than Trick.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Janobii using Tackle against a wild Tamagetake:
1st turn - nothing
2nd turn - nothing
3rd turn - Effect Spore activated, Janobii was put to sleep.
Meh, confirming. Now Effect Spore doesn't activate by any means.

...Unless, of course, I'm actually facing Regeneration Tamagetakes? But that wouldn't make sense, it's a DW ability after all.

He doesn't want you to say thank you after every test, he simply wants the OP updated. If you have put hours in doing research on a particular subject only to see that the OP seemingly doesn't even bother to edit the main page with your results can be really frustrating, making you feel as if your work isn't needed.

I'm certain that's not what omegadonut intended but it does give that kind of impression

That being said i have researched Lucky Star, Slip Though, Make Friends, Dustproof and Griseous Orb so the op can be updated

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yes, i just tested it

Using a pokemon with the slip through ability in a double battle

Dragon claw failed on Protect
Toxic failed against both substitude and safeguard
Substitude still took the damage from dragon claw
Extremespeed failed on fast Guard

In other words, slip through doesn't bypass any of those.
Were you targeting your opponent or your ally?

Were you targeting your opponent or your ally?
My ally, it was my Dragonite with Slip Through against my Lugia with Safeguard/Protect/Substitude/Fast Guard
I'll test Wide Guard and defence boosting moves tomorrow.

Are there any major game mechanic differences between attacking your opponent and your ally?
I need to know as i'm testing basically anything by attacking my ally in double battles

next tests (just a few hits, 2-3 will be enough against each, maybe even just one hit against each)

they don´t have to have 216 defense (less is OK, more is not) for a damage calc., just able to survive the hit...if you start with the lightest (test in the order I wrote them, start with garchomp...or with camerupt, doesn´t matter) and
see a jump in damage, you don´t have to test heavy bomber on the following pokémon in that group, skip them and start with the first pokémon in the next group

example: the damage jumps between shelgon and spiritomb, skip dusknoir and sala and continue with tyranitar
I did it twice against each pokemon, just to verify if i calculated the damage right.
All these pokemon have 216 defence as i found it easier to see the cutoffs (i suppose this is easier for you as well).
I couldn't do Dusknoir as my pokesav can't let it have 216 def or lower so i replaced it by Graveler(105kg)

Results List

snorlax heavy bomber

vs camerupt (220kg, 1/2 damage): 30-26 damage
vs gyarados (235kg, 1/2 damage): 18-17 damage -> cutoff

<- to find where the BP jumps from 40 to 60

vs machamp (130kg): 76-72 damage
vs lickilicky (140kg): 76-74 damage
vs kingdra (152kg, half damage): 39-35 damage
vs milotic (162kg, half damage): 30-27 damage -> cutoff

<- to find where the BP jumps from 60-80

vs salamence (102.6kg): 96-87 damage
vs Graveler (105kg, 2x dmg): 192-186 damage
vs spiritomb (108kg): 92-101 damage
vs shelgon (110.5kg): 91-88 damage
vs rhyhorn (115kg, 2x dmg): 182-186 damage
vs scizor (118kg, 1/2 dmg): 39-38 damage -> cutoff

<- to find where the BP jumps from 80 to 100

vs exploud (84kg): 104-118 damage
vs tauros (88.4kg): 112-117 damage
vs charizard (90.5kg, 1/2 damage): 58-53 damage
vs garchomp (95kg): 89-85 damage -> cutoff

<- to find where the BP jumps from 100 to 120

My ally, it was my Dragonite with Slip Through against my Lugia with Safeguard/Protect/Substitude/Fast Guard
I'll test Wide Guard and defence boosting moves tomorrow.

Are there any major game mechanic differences between attacking your opponent and your ally?
according to serebii, the ability says "slips through your opponent's walls and attacks" so testing on a teammate shouldn't work since it isn't technically your opponent. And by walls, i feel like that means attacks will hit through Reflect and Light Screen

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
according to serebii, the ability says "slips through your opponent's walls and attacks" so testing on a teammate shouldn't work since it isn't technically your opponent. And by walls, i feel like that means attacks will hit through Reflect and Light Screen
Generally, attacks that can target your opponent can be used to target your ally, even if Serebii specifically says "opponent". Still, Slip Through would be a detriment to your own team if you had a Seviper with Earthquake and it hit your own allies even though they Protected\had a Substitute up or whatever. Best to retest this with a human opponent.

EDIT: Also, sadly, the Spiky-Eared Pichu cannot be transferred to Black\White.

Going off of the Trick video, what happens when you use Trick on a Pokemon and it fails because it's holding Mail/Giratino-O/Arceus with a Plate? Does it still lock you into Trick or can you choose another move?

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus

Cosmetic change
:

Quick Claw now displays an actual message upon activation, rather than just making a generic item activation.

I have several things that I think should be tested:

In rotation battles, can you target one of the in-active back row Pokemon? (Like, can Tabuune hit Pokabu with Heal Wave if Tabuune is the active Pokemon and Pokabu is in the back)

In Rotation Battles, do abilities like Healing Heart activate and affect in-active Pokemon if the Healing Heart wielder is the active Pokemon?

Does the attack Gift Pass work if the enemy is holding an item?

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Encourage - Can you use Giga Impact along with Encourage and not have recharge next turn??
Rotom-S - Does Gravity remove both Levitate AND the Flying type, or just one??

1.If a pokemon with sturdy falls below full health and gets back to full health roost,leftovers,Rest w\e will Sturdy still work?

2.Is it reusable? Like for example Heatran Fire blasts Skarmory which survives by 1 hp and then Skarmory uses rest...Now will sturdy work again?

3.Is it stackable with Focus sash? Like yah same scenario as before but if you have a Focus Sash as your item will it work the 2nd time? This is ofcourse if the answere of question 2 is No.
It's all in the OP. It is reusable, as long as you have full-HP. They do not stack. Focus Sash and Sturdy are used at the same time, wasting the Focus Sash.

Encourage - Can you use Giga Impact along with Encourage and not have recharge next turn??
No. Giga Impact still makes you charge, and it gets no boost. Recoil (like from Flare Blitz) and stat drops (Like from Close Combat) also don't count.

Hey, dunno if this is a glitch or not, and has pretty much no use competitively, but I thought it would be interesting to post anyway.

When teaching a Pokemon a new move, the new move has the PP of the old move. For example, my PEEP (pigeon final evo) learned Return just now, and I overwrote Roost, and Return had 10 when I had not even used it yet. This is probably to prevent TM abuse for infinite PP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)