B&W Research Thread

[Free Fall]
If target has Flying type or Lavitate, Free Fall always Fail.

[Telekinesis]
If you use Telekinesis to target, Target will not hit any Ground move like Lavitate.
If target hit by Knock Down, Telekinesis always FAIL.

I was hoping that Leaf Guard had been upgraded to work like Hydration and cure Rest, but I just checked and actually Leaf Guard now prevents Rest from working at all. What a shame. My video has a lot of dropped frames that I can't find a way to work around with my webcam, so sorry about that, but it should still be understandable.

Hydration still works as before.

Confirmed Tail Glow now raises the user's SpAtk (at least) three levels.
This is just for clarification, Tail Glow raises User's SpAtk by +3 (no +4 / +5):

Turn 1: Smeargle used Tail Glow (+3 SpAtk), Yorterrie used Leer

Turn 2: Smeargle used Nasty Plot (+2 SpAtk, putting at +5 SpAtk), Yorterrie used Leer

Turn 3: Smeargle used Cheer Up (+1 Atk / +1 SpAtk, putting at +6 SpAtk), Yorterrie used Tackle

Turn 4: Smeargle used Tail Glow, message noticing that Smeargle's SpAtk can't go higher.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Further on with the Ditto research, another Wild Ditto transformed into my Steel Arceus and retained the Steel typing (and sprite). However, as it is not holding an Iron Plate, its Judgment was Normal-typed (it had no effect on Giratina-O)

Free Fall appears to sort of work on Flying types.

Checked with untransated version, results were identical.

In doubles, Lugia used Freefall on Ononokusu, success.
Next turn, Lugia brings it down, dealing damage, and then his Togetic used Mirror Move on Lugia, thus using Freefall.
Took me up as normal, but the second turn did no damage.

As such, Freefall activates normally on Flying types, but does not do damage on the second turn. It is unknown whether the same is said for Levitaters.

*EDIT* Just saw MINSC's post, I guess it doesn't work on Levitate either.

Also, though you added it on its own, you forgot to add Freefall to the substitute synopsis as well.

Further on with the Ditto research, another Wild Ditto transformed into my Steel Arceus and retained the Steel typing (and sprite). However, as it is not holding an Iron Plate, its Judgment was Normal-typed (it had no effect on Giratina-O)

Wow O_o

That's odd, I wonder what other things he'll copy in the transformation. A low priority thing to test (because it has absolutely zero significance, in fact it probably isn't worth testing <.< ) would be if he transforms into Castform's weather form first, or transforms into castform and then transforms into his weather form like regular (because the ability would kick in)

Onto my clarification question:

"Confirmed: Echo Voice is initially 40 power; but if used at least once a round will increase to 80, 120, and 160 power on consecutive rounds."

Does this mean Echo Voice caps out at 160? And consecutive rounds are still counted regardless if a Pokemon was KO'd before another user attacked?

TM67 Vengeance.

It's been confirmed to increase in BP after the turn which a pokemon on your team has fainted.
Example for clarity -
Nattorei used Explosion!
It's not very effective... Nattorei fainted!
R.B.G. sent in Warubiaru!
Warubiaru used Vengeance! Warubiaru took Vengeance on the foe's Forretress!
The foe's Forretress fainted...

Confirmed: Rechargable Battery does not activate through motor drive. Sorry Electivire.

If you send out two zoroarks, like in double battles, they copy the same pokemon.

Ditto's Excentric seems to copy stat boosts.

Can someone confirm how the ability Poison Hand works?

Does it work like Poison Point? Does it need contact moves to work? What's the percentage of thie ability kicking in (assuming it has any kind of percentage)?

Gamageroge is the only pokemon that has the ability outside of Dream World, just to remember.

Can someone confirm how the ability Poison Hand works?

Does it work like Poison Point? Does it need contact moves to work? What's the percentage of thie ability kicking in (assuming it has any kind of percentage)?

Gamageroge is the only pokemon that has the ability outside of Dream World, just to remember.
Poison Hand causes all contact attacks used by the Pokémon with it to have an approximately 30% chance of poisoning, though it's unknown whether it stacks with moves that already poison. It is just regular poison.

"Confirmed: Echo Voice is initially 40 power; but if used at least once a round will increase to 80, 120, and 160 power on consecutive rounds."

Does this mean Echo Voice caps out at 160? And consecutive rounds are still counted regardless if a Pokemon was KO'd before another user attacked?
According to the research post that the confirmed line linked, it maxes out at 200 base power.

Echo Voice's maximum base power is 200. and...... Ah.......I coudn't understand. ㅠㅠ

in double battle

[First Turn]

X used Echo Voice, and X fainted. (BP 40)
Y used different move.

[Second Turn]

Y used Echo Voice. (BP 80)
Echo Voice's base power boosted.

Do you understand?

Am i the only person who read the description of Pressure Band and has a different opinion on what it does than most people?

Pressure Band: Increases the damage of moves that constrict the opponent.
To me this isnt talking about all trapping moves at all as most people are automatically assuming... instead it means exactly what it says, moves that constrict. that use "pressure" to cause damage. just as there are moves that use weight, and other moves that use speed difference, and more similar would be moves that use "contact" such as punches and kicks, this is probably a brand new mechanic.

If i am correct in my assumption, the moves included would be:
Wrap, Bind, Constrict, Crush Grip, Vicegrip, Submission, Wring Out, Clamp, Bite, Crunch, Fire Fang, Ice Fang, Thunder Fang, Bug Bite(?), Pluck(?), Hyper Fang.

these moves include every move i saw that would possibly cause damage by using some type of pressure. Vicegrip is obvious as a Kingler would squeeze you in his claw. Constrict, Wrap and Bind are all moves usually given to snakes who squeeze you in the long tail like a boa constrictor. All of the biting moves would technically use the pressure of the teeth shutting tightly together to cause damage, which would count i think? and things like Crush Grip, Wring Out, Clamp and Submission just seemed to fit with the theme of my idea.

If anyone agrees with me, i think this move should be tested to see exactly what gets boosted. i would suggest NOT TESTING THIS USING BIND, WRAP or CLAMP as they fall into both my idea and everyone's general assumption. test if the move Constrict, Vicegrip or Bite are boosted, or even Crush Grip and Wring out as all of these seem like logical moves to receive a boost.

breh

強いだね
Am i the only person who read the description of Pressure Band and has a different opinion on what it does than most people?

To me this isnt talking about all trapping moves at all as most people are automatically assuming... instead it means exactly what it says, moves that constrict. that use "pressure" to cause damage. just as there are moves that use weight, and other moves that use speed difference, and more similar would be moves that use "contact" such as punches and kicks, this is probably a brand new mechanic.

If i am correct in my assumption, the moves included would be:
Wrap, Bind, Constrict, Crush Grip, Vicegrip, Submission, Wring Out, Clamp, Bite, Crunch, Fire Fang, Ice Fang, Thunder Fang, Bug Bite(?), Pluck(?), Hyper Fang.

these moves include every move i saw that would possibly cause damage by using some type of pressure. Vicegrip is obvious as a Kingler would squeeze you in his claw. Constrict, Wrap and Bind are all moves usually given to snakes who squeeze you in the long tail like a boa constrictor. All of the biting moves would technically use the pressure of the teeth shutting tightly together to cause damage, which would count i think? and things like Crush Grip, Wring Out, Clamp and Submission just seemed to fit with the theme of my idea.

If anyone agrees with me, i think this move should be tested to see exactly what gets boosted. i would suggest NOT TESTING THIS USING BIND, WRAP or CLAMP as they fall into both my idea and everyone's general assumption. test if the move Constrict, Vicegrip or Bite are boosted, or even Crush Grip and Wring out as all of these seem like logical moves to receive a boost.

Quite sure that it's been confirmed to boost trapping moves' powers. However (if it's not already on this thread and I haven't overlooked it Dx), by how much does it boost them?

breh

強いだね
Can someone check the effect Light Metal has on Gravity and/or Magnet Rise?
Er... light metal is an ability that halves the pokemon's weight. What does this have to do with gravity (which, unless it was changed, does not change the pokemon's weight) or Magnet Rise (which works regardless of the user's weight).

Quite sure that it's been confirmed to boost trapping moves' powers. However (if it's not already on this thread and I haven't overlooked it Dx), by how much does it boost them?
It doesn't seem to have been tested anywhere in this thread as to what this item actually does (and nowhere else that I can find: I found some Pokejungle post from September 18th (in other words, right around when we started getting info, but before much actual testing had been done) saying that's what it supposedly did, but no tests))--I've found talk about it in this thread, but no actual testing. That being so, unless it really was tested somewhere that I'm missing (or someone did test it, but just forgot to/didn't know to post their results here), I believe it boosting trapping moves is very unlikely and instead, it's likely to boost the moves listed in this flag, as that would make far more sense (as these moves are much more connected to pressure than trapping moves). In any case though, I'd really like to see some confirmation as to what this item does, either way.

breh

強いだね
Unfortunately, this doesn't seem like the case. The move perish song has this flag if I understand correctly..

Flag b16:0x08 (“Hadouken Flag”) notes:
All directly damaging moves that are either Flying-type or have 'はどう' (Hadou) in their name, except Air Cutter, plus Perish Song
Detailed breakdown:
All flying-type damaging moves have it EXCEPT Air Cutter
Perish Song has it.
Aura Sphere and Water, Dark, and Dragon Pulse have it. These are moves with 'はどう' in their Japanese name.

This flag that you're mentioning corresponds to this:
Original Post said:
Confirmed The following moves can hit non-adjacent targets in Triple Battles: Gust, Wing Attack, Fly, Peck, Drill Peck, Sky Attack, Aeroblast, Perish Song, Aerial Ace, Bounce, Water Pulse, Pluck, Aura Sphere, Dark Pulse, Air Slash, Dragon Pulse, Brave Bird, Chatter, Heal Pulse, Free Fall, Acrobat, and Windstorm.
All these moves are flagged by it and are allowed to hit non-adjacent targets in triples.

Perhaps we're misinterpreting pressure to mean something else? Instead of physical pressure, maybe emotional pressure?

Is the japanese for the item the same for the ability? If not then I'd gamble we could even interpret the text as something else. If it is, maybe it's talking a completely different context.

Regardless only testing will confirm anything =/

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Perhaps we're misinterpreting pressure to mean something else? Instead of physical pressure, maybe emotional pressure?

Is the japanese for the item the same for the ability? If not then I'd gamble we could even interpret the text as something else. If it is, maybe it's talking a completely different context.

Regardless only testing will confirm anything =/
Pressure: プレッシャー (Puresshaa)
Pressure Band: しめつけバンド (Shimetsuke Bando)

しめつけ = pressure, clamping, tightening, fastening / to tighten, to press hard

Yeah, no way it's not the Pressure Band.

Assuming that the B/W formula is the same as in D/P/Pt, this narrows the power range to 108-111 power. Which is pretty safe to say that it the power is 110, or double.
Has the formula already been tested? I think a "quick" way to see if it's the same as last generation's formula is to make a couple (or a lot) of tests with regular attacks (so that the tests aren't afected by anything that the tester isn't counting with), see how much damage is done and then compare with the damage the Smogon Damage Calculator gives. If any damage in the game falls out of the percentage range given by the damage calculator, then the damage formula for this generation is different.

Of course, it may not be conclusive to say that this generation's damage formula is the same as last generation's one if the test sample isn't big enough.

Busted Solid Rock Damage by super-effective moves is halved. Damage by super-effective moves is only reduced by one-third, not one-half.
Last generation the damage was reduced by 1/4, as seen here. Checking this thread no one mentions a change. Has it really changed, or is it a typo?

I looked through the this thread to check what I asked here. I'm sorry if any of this has been tested already and I skipped it by mistake.

Has the formula already been tested? I think a "quick" way to see if it's the same as last generation's formula is to make a couple (or a lot) of tests with regular attacks (so that the tests aren't afected by anything that the tester isn't counting with), see how much damage is done and then compare with the damage the Smogon Damage Calculator gives. If any damage in the game falls out of the percentage range given by the damage calculator, then the damage formula for this generation is different.

Of course, it may not be conclusive to say that this generation's damage formula is the same as last generation's one if the test sample isn't big enough.

Last generation the damage was reduced by 1/4, as seen here. Checking this thread no one mentions a change. Has it really changed, or is it a typo?

I looked through the this thread to check what I asked here. I'm sorry if any of this has been tested already and I skipped it by mistake.
Nobody really knows how much damaged was halved by Solid Rock last generation. Smogon says 1/4, Serebii says 1/2 and Bulbapedia says 1/3.

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
I don't know if this was brought up or not already, but I have a question on Pokemon that have the ability Levitate as one of their 2+ abilities. In Wi-Fi battles, Pokemon that are not airborn making a sort of crashing effect into the ground, while Pokemon with Levitate sort of hover without hitting the ground. Therefore I was wondering, do Pokemon that have Levitate as one of their abilities (such as Bronzong) hit the ground when it isn't using Levitate, while hovering when it is using Levitate? (All this would mean in essence is being able to tell whether the opposing Pokemon's ability is Levitate or not).

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It hasn't. That was me remembering incorrectly. Fixed the description.

Though you have a point. I'd like some extra confirmation on Solid Rock.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)