B&W Research Thread

I have no idea if this has already been mentioned, but the so called Sheer Force glitch that disabled Life Orb recoil has not been fixed in the Western versions (yet).

Just sayin'

A small update on the GTS fail swear filter situation. For some reason, someone on Serebii is having trouble trying to trade his Archeops, pretty much exactly how we have trouble trading Cofagrigus, Skuntank, and Marshtomp. I cannot for the life of me see the possible profanity in "Archeops", though.
Nor can I, especially seeing as how I traded one earlier in the week. I have had problems with Marshtomp though.

Also, from the front page's unanswered bit, Clear Smog's effect does not work on immune Pokemon.
Tested using Garbodor on Klink in Chargestone Cave. The real question is Substitute, but I can't get that till winter.

This is the new formula for calculating experience in the Black and White games.

Whenever a Pokémon defeats another Pokémon in an internal battle, each Pokémon that participated in the battle against it gains Exp. Points (or experience points). The number of Exp. Points a Pokémon gains this way is based on a formula shown below. Each multiplication and division given is rounded down unless noted otherwise.

Exp. Points = (sqrt(X)*(X*X))*Z/(sqrt(Y)*(Y*Y))+1

where:
  • X = opponent's level + opponent's level + 10
  • Y = opponent's level + participant's level + 10
  • Z = (opponent's base experience * opponent's level / 5), rounded down. If this is a Trainer battle, Z is multiplied by 1.5 and rounded down. Then, if at least one Pokémon in the player's party is holding Exp. Share, Z is halved and rounded up. Z is then divided evenly, rounded down, among all participants, and again among all Pokémon in the player's party holding Exp. Share. (Thus a Pokémon can earn more Exp. Points both by being a participant and by holding Exp. Share.)
  • "sqrt(N)" means "the square root of N". The result of the square root function is not rounded and is accurate to the nearest 1/4096.
If a Pokémon has a different 32-bit Trainer ID and/or OT name from the player's, the experience it earns is multiplied by 1.5, or if it also comes from a different language version from the player's, by 6963/4096, and rounded to the nearest whole number. If the Pokémon is holding Lucky Egg, the experience it earns is multiplied by 1.5 and rounded to the nearest whole number. If the player received the "Exp. Point Power" from another player, and that power is active, the experience the Pokemon earns is multiplied by the following ratios and rounded down:
Power ↓: 50/100; Power ↓↓: 66/100; Power ↓↓↓: 80/100; Power ↑: 120/100; Power ↑↑: 150/100; Power ↑↑↑, Power S, Power MAX: 200/100.​
Thanks, poccil; this seems to be correct.
The fact that it has to be in Hexidecimal to get the completely accurate answer is annoying, though.

My best guess to why you can't trade Archeops and Marshtomp is the "arch" portion of their name. I dunno, maybe it's some weird substitute for "crotch"?

Well, for Marshtomp, I would either guess the "ars" part, like "arse" (British for "ass") or the "sht", like "shit".

No idea for Archeops though.

It's probably not a swear filter; I put the same word that's in Cofagrigus in another Pokémon's name experimentally, and I put it on the GTS (but took it off and renamed it back after) Did the same thing with the F-bomb but it accepted it.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Not sure how much it matters, but if an in-game Illumise steals your Lucky Egg with the move Covet, you get it back after the battle.

DeagleBeagle

Banned deucer.
Assurance will deal 2x dmg if the foe was previously damaged in the same turn. In doubles its essentially the slower teammate deals more damage with Assurance, but in singles you can only replicate this effect if the foe was hit through recoil, switched into SR, etc.
Alright I figured it out now. Has to be SAME TURN. And in doubles it was just confusing at first and I didn't really read each thing carefully. Before I thought Assurance basically always doubled if the foe had less than 100%, always. But then I realized that was wrong. They had to have had their health taken away within the same turn; not say first turn and then a few turns later you decide to use Assurance against that pokemon.

Ok so it appears to work totally different than Payback and Smogon saying it worked similar to pay is extremely misleading. It took a very long time for me to clarify and understand this. I hope Smogon will not use misleading suggestions in the future. Long story short, Assurance is a bad move in doubles, and in singles it is only good for one hit after the foe gets hit by SR. Because after that assurance will not double. Only for one time.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
They must have changed the catchmechanics behind Transform.

In Gen 4 if Ditto transformed into a Magikarp, all it would take is 1 or 2 Ultra Balls to catch it, since Ditto would use Magikarp's catch rate.

In Gen 5, I've about had a Ditto that transformed into a Magikarp Struggle to death while I throw Repeat Balls at it.

I don't think they did, I just caught two ditto, both times I sent out my level 5 mareep (from white forest) for it to transform into. Then I'd send out my haxorus, use false swipe, then throw a pokeball.
Both times the pokeball caught it first try.

Old news. To compensate, it's base damage was also reduced from 4th gen.
Sometimes GameFreak's logic defies me. Why use a weak move on someone using Protect, when you can at least do something useful while they protect i.e heal/free switch/set up/sub etc. Its respectable if it was at least 80 damage

Sometimes GameFreak's logic defies me. Why use a weak move on someone using Protect, when you can at least do something useful while they protect i.e heal/free switch/set up/sub etc. Its respectable if it was at least 80 damage
When you use Feint on a pokemon that uses Protect, the effect is nullified from the rest of the turn. In doubles this allows the Feint user's teammate to hit a pokemon using Protect hard, giving it strategic value. I believe Omegadonut was using a Feint+Explosion strategy in VGC a few years ago.

Regardless i don't think the change makes much difference aside from breaking Focus Sash.

I've had a very strange experience involving Sigilyph and Whirlwind. I was in the Desert Resort and a wild Lv20 Magic Guard Sigilyph appeared. I switched to my female Lv23 Motor Drive Blitzle (which is from another trainer if that matters) and when it used Whirlwind on me, it failed. I proceeded to capture it.

Then I withdrew the Sigilyph from its box and took it back to the Desert Resort to see if I could reproduce that against random Pokemon. I succeeded in Whirlwinding everything for a while, but then this one Sandile appeared that I couldn't Whirlwind no matter what. I tried about 5 times in a row and it kept failing. I got distracted when it appeared and didn't notice if it was a Moxie or Intimidate Sandile.

Eventually another Magic Guard Sigilyph appeared. I immediately switched to my Blitzle again and it's Whirlwind failed four times. In both battles I had Paralyzed the enemy Sigilyph with Blitzle's Thunder Wave but on this fight it Whirlwind on the switch, so the Paralysis doesn't seem to have anything to do with it. However, when I switched back to my own Sigilyph, its Whirlwind succeeded.

It seems someone else has experienced this before. http://www.gamespot.com/ds/rpg/pokemonds3/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-58395932&pid=989552

EDIT: Just encountered a Lv22 male Intimidate Sandile. Whirlwind failed. Going to capture it to see if it's immune to a wild Sigilyph's Whirlwind too. It opened up the fight with Sand Tomb, and I believe the previous Sandile had as well.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've had a very strange experience involving Sigilyph and Whirlwind. I was in the Desert Resort and a wild Lv20 Magic Guard Sigilyph appeared. I switched to my female Lv23 Motor Drive Blitzle (which is from another trainer if that matters) and when it used Whirlwind on me, it failed. I proceeded to capture it.

Then I withdrew the Sigilyph from its box and took it back to the Desert Resort to see if I could reproduce that against random Pokemon. I succeeded in Whirlwinding everything for a while, but then this one Sandile appeared that I couldn't Whirlwind no matter what. I tried about 5 times in a row and it kept failing. I got distracted when it appeared and didn't notice if it was a Moxie or Intimidate Sandile.

Eventually another Magic Guard Sigilyph appeared. I immediately switched to my Blitzle again and it's Whirlwind failed four times. In both battles I had Paralyzed the enemy Sigilyph with Blitzle's Thunder Wave but on this fight it Whirlwind on the switch, so the Paralysis doesn't seem to have anything to do with it. However, when I switched back to my own Sigilyph, its Whirlwind succeeded.

It seems someone else has experienced this before. http://www.gamespot.com/ds/rpg/pokemonds3/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-58395932&pid=989552
I believe Whirlwind and Roar always fail against a Pokémon that has a higher level than you. That's how it's been for a while, I think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)