B&W Research Thread

RBG*:

That's because the confusion attack in generation 4 is a Normal-type attack, so it's affected by Chilan Berry. What matters for the purpose of the damage-reducing berries here is the type of the confusion attack, not the type of the attack the Pokemon would have used (such as Earth Power).

* For generation 4, I state that "The self-inflicted confusion attack is a Normal-type physical attack".
* For generation 4's Chilan Berry, I state that "As the holder is damaged by a Normal-type attack against the holder [no matter who used that attack], that attack's damage is halved".
* For generation 5, I state that "The self-inflicted confusion attack is a physical attack [and] has no type".
* For generation 5's Chilan Berry, I state that "As the holder is damaged by a Normal-type attack by another Pokémon against the holder, that attack's damage is halved".

Today I was using the soft-reset method trying to inherit SpA IVs (one parent had a Power Anklet and the other an Everstone), thinking that it worked like in past generation, that is (taken from the gen 3-4 breeding guide):
- Save in front of the Day Care man.
- Take the Egg.
[...]
- If it doesn't have the desired gender/nature/ability, save in front of the Day Care man again (there should be another Egg waiting for you, which was produced while you hatched the first one) and repeat the process until you get a suitable baby.
- If it does have the desired gender/nature/ability, but it doesn't have the desired IVs, soft reset the game (START+SELECT+A+B) and take the Egg again (gender/nature/ability won't change, only the IVs), hatch and check the IVs, repeat the process until you get the IVs you want.

But I found that all the hatched pokemons surely didn't have more than 17 SpA and had the same stats at lvl1, so I checked two of them and I found that they had exactly the same IV.

Did this breeding mechanic change in BW or am I missing something?

Today I was using the soft-reset method trying to inherit SpA IVs (one parent had a Power Anklet and the other an Everstone), thinking that it worked like in past generation, that is (taken from the gen 3-4 breeding guide):
- Save in front of the Day Care man.
- Take the Egg.
[...]
- If it doesn't have the desired gender/nature/ability, save in front of the Day Care man again (there should be another Egg waiting for you, which was produced while you hatched the first one) and repeat the process until you get a suitable baby.
- If it does have the desired gender/nature/ability, but it doesn't have the desired IVs, soft reset the game (START+SELECT+A+B) and take the Egg again (gender/nature/ability won't change, only the IVs), hatch and check the IVs, repeat the process until you get the IVs you want.

But I found that all the hatched pokemons surely didn't have more than 17 SpA and had the same stats at lvl1, so I checked two of them and I found that they had exactly the same IV.

Did this breeding mechanic change in BW or am I missing something?
It changed in BW2, actually.

Kinda sucks, huh?
It's a programming error. The 2nd, 3rd, etc. eggs are fine though.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Hi, I don't know if this is the correct place to post this or if it's already been trested, but we came across something interesting in #genvuu recently: Wonder Skin Venomoth vs Roar / Taunt.

According to Smogon's page on Wonder Skin, it only blocks status moves 50% of the time. Now, we define status as Burn / Poison / Freeze etc, but Bulbapedia defines "Status Move" like this. Some people are telling me that Wonder Skin affects Roar / Taunt on Pokemon Showdown, and when we tested it on PO, it didn't work that way.

Basically, I'm requesting one an in-game test of this (those two moves specifically, but it would be useful to also test with things like Scary Face, etc, to be thorough) so that PS can correct it if it's wrong.

If anyone picks this task up, could you please VM / PM me and keep me informed? This is kind of a big thing in UU, lol.

EDIT: Never mind, we tested it. It works just like that in-game.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Using the definition Bulbapedia has, not just on Burn / Paralysis / Sleep / etc-inducing moves.

So PS has it right.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Let's say I have a Flying Gem Drifblim. Drifblim uses Acrobatics to knock out the opponent, using up the Flying Gem and activating Unburden. Choice Scarf Imposter Ditto comes in to revenge kill Drifblim. Who will move first?

tl;dr Does Imposter copy the Unburden boost, and is this conditional on the Imposter Pokemon holding an item?

Let's say I have a Flying Gem Drifblim. Drifblim uses Acrobatics to knock out the opponent, using up the Flying Gem and activating Unburden. Choice Scarf Imposter Ditto comes in to revenge kill Drifblim. Who will move first?

tl;dr Does Imposter copy the Unburden boost, and is this conditional on the Imposter Pokemon holding an item?
Further generalization:
Does Transform copy the Unburden boost, and is this conditional on the Imposter Pokemon holding an item?
Don't forget Smergle and Mew.

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader

Further generalization:
Does Transform copy the Unburden boost, and is this conditional on the Imposter Pokemon holding an item?
Don't forget Smergle and Mew.
Transform does not copy an Unburden boost because it is not a stat stage boost like a Motor Drive boost or similar. Since the Transformed Pokemon just gained Unburden, it would need to lose an item to activate the Ability for itself.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hello. I am wondering if Sitrus Berry activates part-way through a multi-hit attack such as Icicle Spear or after all 5 hits?

On Smogon's Cloyster VGC 2012 analysis, it says it activates part-way through, but when Cloyster used it against my Cresselia on Showdown, the Sitrus Berry did not activate. I have not found any other answers on Smogon or Google.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hello. I am wondering if Sitrus Berry activates part-way through a multi-hit attack such as Icicle Spear or after all 5 hits?

On Smogon's Cloyster VGC 2012 analysis, it says it activates part-way through, but when Cloyster used it against my Cresselia on Showdown, the Sitrus Berry did not activate. I have not found any other answers on Smogon or Google.
It will activate part-way through, yes. Showdown is bugged in that regard.

Alakapimp just found out that if you Encore a Tormented Pokemon into using the same move it used last turn, it will NOT fail and work as normal.

It will activate part-way through, yes. Showdown is bugged in that regard.

Alakapimp just found out that if you Encore a Tormented Pokemon into using the same move it used last turn, it will NOT fail and work as normal.
Have you tested this the other way round, i.e. if a pokemon is encored and then tormented, what will happen? It's just that if I recall correctly (and this may or may not be relevant) on shoddy battle in gen 4, it would work one way round but not the other.

A grounded Poison-type pokémon removes Toxic Spikes switching in.
A Air Balloon Poison-type pokémon doesn't remove Toxic Spikes switching in (without Gravity).
But what happens if the pokémon is in play and the balloon gets broken? Are TSpikes removed or does the pokémon need to be switched back and forth?

(I can't test it in game, it happened on PS and I don't want to report a false bug)

Manitary:

In that case, the Toxic Spikes are not removed. Toxic Spikes has its effect only whenever an opposing Pokémon enters the battle, not at any other time, especially not when a Poison-type Pokemon's Air Balloon pops. I've tested that myself in-game.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
In a doubles battle, let's say you have s Stantler with Intimidate and an other Intimidate user. I chose Stantler because it is the only Intimidate user that can learn Skill Swap. If Stantler uses Skill Swap on its teammate, will Intimidate activate twice?

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
In a doubles battle, let's say you have s Stantler with Intimidate and an other Intimidate user. I chose Stantler because it is the only Intimidate user that can learn Skill Swap. If Stantler uses Skill Swap on its teammate, will Intimidate activate twice?
No, because Skill Swap will fail if the user and target have the same Ability. If you try this strategy on an ally with anything other than Illusion, Multitype, or Wonder Guard, Intimidate will activate once each time it is swapped between them.

Have you tested this the other way round, i.e. if a pokemon is encored and then tormented, what will happen? It's just that if I recall correctly (and this may or may not be relevant) on shoddy battle in gen 4, it would work one way round but not the other.

This was a while ago but I guess you didn't get an awnser...

I just tested this in Pokemon white 2 and encore + torment causes the opponent to Struggle I went into a wild double battle against a venipede and purrlion on route 20 with my Samurott and Sandile. Turn 1 Samurott OHKO'D Venipede with Ice Beam while Sandile Sand attacked Purrlion. Purrlion went for scratch and missed. Turn 2 Samurott Encored Purrlion followed by and Sandile Tormenting it. Purrlion went for scratch again and missed. Turn 3 to avoid ko'ng Purrlion I made Samurott Encore Sandile and Sandile Tormented Samurott. When it came to purrlions move it used Struggle. Turn 4 I ko'd my Sandile with samurott and then Purrlion used Scratch again.

so I have established that Encore + Torment does make the opponent Struggle but after Struggle the Pokemon is free to use their Encore locked move again (in this case scratch)

Just noticed something happen on the Pokemon Showdown simulator and I thought it'd be important to confirm whether this happens in the game or not.

When I was spectating a battle this guy uses Entrainment to change a Brelooms' ability from Poison Heal to Traunt. The Breloom had been on the field for some time before this, and when its ability was changed it took a massive amount of toxic damage, as if it had been building the whole time Breloom was on the field despite its effects being completely changed by Poison Heal.

I thought it would be prudent to test whether or not this happens in the game normally. Unfortunately I don't have to resources to test this easily myself at this time, so I was hoping someone else would do it for me.

Question is: Does the damage counter for toxic keep climbing even when the Pokemon is immune to the damage due to their ability (Magic Guard, Poison Heal any other abilities I'm missing). If so, when the ability is removed how does this affect the damage done by Toxic?

I searched the OP and couldn't find any evidence this had been researched so I thought I had better post about it.

Not mentioned in the OP: I was trying to find a way to duplicate items, and decided to test the interaction of Pickup and Recycle in doubles, together with Pickup+Pickup in triples (where it was easier to set up the test than in doubles). My results were that once a Flung item has been Picked Up, it can no longer be Recycled, nor Picked Up by other Pokémon; as such, Pickup seems to work in a similar way to Thief.

I haven't tested with Harvest yet, due to not having any mons to test with. (Of course, duplicating berries is less valuable than duplicating various other items.)

callforjudgement:

That's because Pickup resets the last item consumed for another Pokemon when the Pokemon with Pickup restores an item: " this Pokémon receives a copy of the 'last item consumed' ... and that item is reset". This affects future effects of Pickup, Harvest, and Recycle, all three of which affect the "last item consumed".

This was known behaviour in DPPt, but Zarel asked for someone to test it in 5th gen, so I did; I figured it couldn't hurt to post here because of that, in case anyone is ever curious (after all, curiosity is how this got tested again in the first place). It's not a new change, though, since this is apparently how it functioned in 4th gen (according to the site, anyway -- I didn't actually test it in 4th gen).

Earthquake cannot hit an underground Pokémon (i.e. using Dig and in the semi-invulnerable state) if that Pokémon is immune to Ground.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)