BH Balanced Hackmons Central Resources

Illusio

Bold and Brash
Thanks. Although I literally just found it after I posted it. By the way, what is going on with this. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-745588237 The opposing Fairy Arceus was immune to spectral thief while when Chansey transformed into the fairy arceus, super power hit it for super effective damage. Is there something I am missing?
Arceus is only Fairy-typed when it has the ability Multitype and is holding a Pixie Plate. Otherwise, it is just a skin difference for Arceus-Normal.

I'd like to make some suggestions for the VR:

First off, Arceus: B Rank -> B+/A- Rank
I actually don't get this. Arceus has possibly the best balanced stat spread of every Pokemon and can do almost anything. As a Poison Heal user, it's about as good but admittedly not better than Slaking and Regigigas, sacrificing raw power for additional speed and bulk that makes it even harder to kill than the other two. Being pure Normal is a fantastic typing that grants immunity to Spectral Thief and grants minimal weaknesses, allowing it time to set up or support along with its fantastic defensive stats. It can be outclassed by others, but it is by itself one of the most versatile and reliable Pokemon to use for almost any situation.

I'd also like to mention some other abilities for Pokemon in the VR:
Gengar-Mega -> Dazzling and Adaptability: Why are these not here? It makes MGar unable to be revenge killed by -ates after it sets up with Shell Smash OR grants a free power-up to both Sludge Wave and Judgement/Moongeist Beam. These should at least be mentioned.
Tyranitar-Mega -> Unaware: Surprisingly, MegaTar can pull this off. Its typing gives it winning matchups against some prominent boosters like MRay and Regigigas and it ignores the Diamond Storm boost stolen by Spectral Thief. It's a niche ability choice that can royally screw the specific sets its meant to check.
Kyogre-Primal -> Primordial Sea: Love it or hate it, this turns POgre into an instant offensive threat, giving it a buff to Steam Eruption and priority Water Shuriken while granting perfect Thunder and negating V-Create. It's not as useful as the other abilities and it isn't Water Bubble, but it's a damn crime not to mention this because it gets the job done.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Arceus: B Rank -> B+/A- Rank
I actually don't get this. Arceus has possibly the best balanced stat spread of every Pokemon and can do almost anything. As a Poison Heal user, it's about as good but admittedly not better than Slaking and Regigigas, sacrificing raw power for additional speed and bulk that makes it even harder to kill than the other two. Being pure Normal is a fantastic typing that grants immunity to Spectral Thief and grants minimal weaknesses, allowing it time to set up or support along with its fantastic defensive stats. It can be outclassed by others, but it is by itself one of the most versatile and reliable Pokemon to use for almost any situation.
this nom is pretty good and reasonable, but i personally disagree with it

the problem with defensive arceus sets is that they provide mediocre defensive utility to the team because arceus only has 1 resistance (ghost). they find themselves forced to run abilities like prankster and soundproof so all the offensive threats don't just 2hko them on the switch.

additionally, arceus struggles to counter gengar, the primary offensive ghost in the metagame. normalize sets force it to run a specific set like ghostium z spectral thief or prankster glare (while other defensive pokemon like kyogre only need to run revelation dance), while other gengar variants run secret sword, which does a million to arceus.

offensive arceus is a good set, but whenever i use it, it gives the opponent basically a free turn when it tries to set up. what i mean by this is that arceus doesn't threaten anything at +0 because it hits nothing super effectively.

tail glow arceus struggles with mmx and mmy outspeeding to revenge kill it, while shell smash is disappointingly weak even at +2. unlike mons like mmx, arceus can't pressure unaware or prankster users because it can't hit super effectively.

arceus is decent, but i think you're just overstating how good it is at everything. in my eyes, it's fine where it is.

A couple of things on the Speed tiers.
Include +1 Max speed MMY
558 Speed tier is wrong should be neutral nature
Add +1 Max speed MMX+MGar
538 speed tier is messed up mmx should be same as mgar
394 speed tier is messed up Mgar should be same as MMX
359 speed tier is messed up should be neutral natured unboosted
Add Unboosted Max Speed kartana
Add Max speed and neutral speed scarf Chansey
For Role Compendium
Add MMY, MMX, Ultra-Necro, kartana, maybe Pogre to Tinted Lens
Add Kartana to Tough Claws
Maybe add PrimSea Pogre to wall breakers?
Add tina to Prankster
Add ferro to Unaware
WTF is normalize @ ghostium z not improof
Maybe add PH in general to self improof?
For Viability Rankings.
Prankster tina should be ranked over magic bounce maybe over ph but fur coat should be gone
Who uses Fur Coat pogre now Unaware should be over fur coat
Add Dazzling/Adapt to MGar
I think FF should be above Prank on Regi
Add mold breaker to Gigas
FF Solg is definitely better than Prank and probably Regen too (Drop this btw)
I don't think Tinted Lens should be higher than Regen and Bounce, Fur Coat is probably even better
Never heard of Magic Bounce Ttar add Unaware instead
FF over Prank on Aegi, maybe add Mold Breaker
FF should be over Unaware on Ferro
Add Illusion to MChomp
I think Unburden is better than Dazzle on Kart
Drop Xurkitree I have never seen one it should be B- or C
Raise Celesteela to B?
I think this is it there might be stuff I missed but w/e

Unaware and Fur Coat are perfectly viable on Arceus. Or, at least they worked for me. Unaware can steal boosts and then Boomburst back on most offensive threats. Fur Coat walls physical attacks better than Fur Coat Chansey, even if Eviolite is intact, and is more free to run other items and can actually do damage to offensive Pokemon, albeit at the cost of not taking special attacks as well.

One must also not forget the classic Multitype Spooky Plate Arceus. Yes, it takes both item and ability slot, but it's perfectly Imposterproof, doesn't care about Trick/Knock Off unlike Gengar, and actually has the bulk to run Q.Dance over Smash or Glow if it so chooses. It lacks Gengar's immediate power though.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
To be honest I am not sure if anyone will agree, but I think of this as a decent option for Audino-Mega, specifically:

Stamina.

The Logic behind this suggestion.
This ability works on this specific Pokémon for the following reasons:

-Immunity to Spectral Thief * (Imposterproof)

-Immunity to Dragon Tail *(Imposterproof)

-Immunity to Core Enforcer *(Imposterproof)

-Slow Baton Passes can underspeed other pivot Parting Shot/U-turns, etc., enables it to not fear Ground Immunity (Volt Switch vs Groudon/Zygarde) or Spiky Shield/Baneful Bunker (U-Turn), and pairs well with both Spectral Thief and Stamina.

-Stamina allows it to use its accumulated boosts to survive Sunsteel Strike.

-Stamina works great against Skill Link or Beat Up (King’s Rock Greninja)

-Audino-Mega is the best Normal/Fairy Type and has just enough Defenses to make it viable.

-Stamina’s boosts can be Baton Pass to boost Power Trip, Stored Power, or make setting up like Geomancy, Quiver Dance, etc. better.

-Stamina can consistently regain +Def whether Hazed or Taunted, and doesn’t waste turns or a moveslot.
Versus Fur Coat:
-Switch into a weak move and accumulate boosts (like U-Turn/Fake-Out)... but don’t switch into a strong, super effective physical attack, let them switch into you.

-Mold Breaker, Photon Geyser, Sunsteel do not bypass accumulated boosts, and that means you can heal up as they don’t KO you.

-In contrast, now Unaware works like Mold Breaker in a sense, but most Unaware users are Defensive.
I typically use Spectral Thief, Dragon Tail, Shore Up and Baton Pass with Leftovers (pairs well with Misty Terrain Giratina). *Dragon Tail handles Normal types that are Immune to Spectral Thief (except itself for Imposterproofing).

Last edited:
this nom is pretty good and reasonable, but i personally disagree with it

the problem with defensive arceus sets is that they provide mediocre defensive utility to the team because arceus only has 1 resistance (ghost). they find themselves forced to run abilities like prankster and soundproof so all the offensive threats don't just 2hko them on the switch.

additionally, arceus struggles to counter gengar, the primary offensive ghost in the metagame. normalize sets force it to run a specific set like ghostium z spectral thief or prankster glare (while other defensive pokemon like kyogre only need to run revelation dance), while other gengar variants run secret sword, which does a million to arceus.

offensive arceus is a good set, but whenever i use it, it gives the opponent basically a free turn when it tries to set up. what i mean by this is that arceus doesn't threaten anything at +0 because it hits nothing super effectively.

tail glow arceus struggles with mmx and mmy outspeeding to revenge kill it, while shell smash is disappointingly weak even at +2. unlike mons like mmx, arceus can't pressure unaware or prankster users because it can't hit super effectively.

arceus is decent, but i think you're just overstating how good it is at everything. in my eyes, it's fine where it is.
As I said, I acknowledge that Arceus can be outclassed by others at certain roles in the metagame. My argument is that Arceus should be given some more respect for its ridiculous versitility even in BH, being able to fulfill many roles with its nearly-unrivaled stat spread and acting as competition for some already-viable sets like Regigigas/Slaking. Of course there are problems with using Arceus as there are for using ANY Pokemon in BH, a tier where virtually nothing is perfect!

I honestly think OM! has a point with Stamina over Fur Coat. Given Mega-Audino's mechanics, it seems like an objectively better choice and I can't believe I didn't think about that. The only flaws I can see with it is that it does not provide immediate defense protection like Fur Coat does, it can give Imposter sets a bigger buff and harder time to kill than Fur Coat, and it can still be affected by Haze, but most of those flaws can be negligible depending on the situation.

Ren

i swore lips were made for lies
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Giratina @ Toxic Orb / Darkinium Z / Griseous Orb / Leftovers
Ability: Poison Heal / Magic Bounce / Comatose / Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Core Enforcer / Spectral Thief
- Stealth Rock / Spectral Thief / Dragon Tail / Entrainment
- U-Turn / Parting Shot
- Shore Up

I am far from an active contributor to resources but can this be divided into separate sets? Darkinium Bounce is imo bad and Toxic Orb shouldn't be slashed with any of those other abilities, and Entrainment shouldn't be slashed with Poison Heal because its main purpose is to remove Poison Heal from said sweepers...

Apologies for the one liner but I saw this and I wanted to post about it.

I would like to submit a sample team for this metagame. (Perish Trap Zygarde Balance), I will give a brief description of each pokemon roles in the team

Zygarde: the standard perish trap, this was designed to be incredibly tanky. as the nature implies it works as a check for certain physical attackers and can trap walls and kill them with perish song, Safety goggles are for spore spammers, such as Deoxys-Speed

Rayquaza: my Wallbreaker / Revenge Killer. Aerilate Boomburst with specs allows to 2HKO most walls in the meta. with Espeed revenge killing the weakened mon, with Overheat / Draco meteor for coverage

Aegislash: My steel / Flash Fire mon, it is my Poison heal counter / Improof of MMY. it can steal sweepers stats with spectral thief and be a hazard support with entrainment for utility use.

Heracross: Heracross is my late game cleanup mon of the team, with a great Priority STAB moves of Leech Life and Drain Punch, it can do ridiculous amounts of damage Unboosted, with Sunsteel strike for Shedinjas and the occasional fairy mon. but when boosted. Heracross's attack can reach insane levels. despite the fact, its walled by stuff like Giratina and Zygarde so it is not recommended that you use this midgame

Kyogre: Kyogre was designed to wall certain special setup sweepers and counter Normalize Gengar. with aromatherapy to prevent status users from crippling the team.

Mewtwo: Mewtwo is my Fake-speed and Main Shedinja counter for the team, with Ice beam taking out mega Rayquaza and photon geyser beating Shedinja. it does not need a +Speed nature due to its Dazzling, also making it my Improof for heracross

So thats the team! I Hope you consider adding my Sample team to the thread!​

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
I would like to submit a sample team for this metagame. (Perish Trap Zygarde Balance), I will give a brief description of each pokemon roles in the team

Zygarde: the standard perish trap, this was designed to be incredibly tanky. as the nature implies it works as a check for certain physical attackers and can trap walls and kill them with perish song, Safety goggles are for spore spammers, such as Deoxys-Speed

Rayquaza: my Wallbreaker / Revenge Killer. Aerilate Boomburst with specs allows to 2HKO most walls in the meta. with Espeed revenge killing the weakened mon, with Overheat / Draco meteor for coverage

Aegislash: My steel / Flash Fire mon, it is my Poison heal counter / Improof of MMY. it can steal sweepers stats with spectral thief and be a hazard support with entrainment for utility use.

Heracross: Heracross is my late game cleanup mon of the team, with a great Priority STAB moves of Leech Life and Drain Punch, it can do ridiculous amounts of damage Unboosted, with Sunsteel strike for Shedinjas and the occasional fairy mon. but when boosted. Heracross's attack can reach insane levels. despite the fact, its walled by stuff like Giratina and Zygarde so it is not recommended that you use this midgame

Kyogre: Kyogre was designed to wall certain special setup sweepers and counter Normalize Gengar. with aromatherapy to prevent status users from crippling the team.

Mewtwo: Mewtwo is my Fake-speed and Main Shedinja counter for the team, with Ice beam taking out mega Rayquaza and photon geyser beating Shedinja. it does not need a +Speed nature due to its Dazzling, also making it my Improof for heracross

So thats the team! I Hope you consider adding my Sample team to the thread!​
Blue Flare over Overheat, (10 base power is too minimal to care); Clanging Scales over Draco Meteor; actually you may as well just give it Contrary, and then you could give it another item.
Dragon Ascent could go over Boomburst, and V-Create over Overheat so you could stay in and KO while picking up speed. V-Create, Draco, Dragon Ascent, Superpower.

Alternatively, Oblivion Wing over Boomburst could be used with Overheat if you want to just max out Special Attack and sweep. Oblivion Wing, Draco, Overheat, Leaf Storm (Gyarados, Kyogre, Swampert, Slowbro, Tyranitar, Diancie).

Last edited:

Duckymomo Senior

Banned deucer.
Not sure if this is right thread but I'd like to post a team that doesn't include a Kartana and has still done well. This team was based off of a gen 6 team and was moderately updated.

Rayquaza-Mega @ Choice Specs
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Boomburst
- Blue Flare
- Moongeist Beam
- Volt Switch

Yveltal @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Trick
- Knock Off
- Shore Up

Tyranitar-Mega @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Will-O-Wisp
- Knock Off
- Diamond Storm

Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Misty Surge
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- V-create
- Earthquake
- Synthesis

Aegislash @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Prankster
Sassy Nature
- U-turn
- Haze
- Destiny Bond
- Shore Up

Registeel @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Flash Fire
Sassy Nature
- U-turn
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Shore Up

Now I know that Choice Scarf Flash Fire Yveltal will likely raise some eyebrows especially since the team already has a Flash Fire mon and Celesteela exists so allow me to explain: 100% of all (competent) players will know that Celesteela is Flash Fire since you have a Pdon that needs improofing. However, they will likely not assume that Yveltal is Flash Fire since it is uncommon. Many players will use Vcreate on your Yveltal when they imposter you thus allowing you to Knock Off they're Eviolite and turning Specs MRay Boomburst into a 2hko for later on.

Furthermore, Choice Scarf is just hilarious late game. People with Safety Goggles steel types or Zygod will stay in on Yveltal and get tricked a Choice scarf. You can also u-turn on a Mega Mewtwo Y or Mega Gengar and proceed to outspeed and ohko them unexpectedly as long as they don't boost speed on that turn.

The rest I think is pretty self explanatory. Either Ttar or Regi improofs MRay. Make sure you only use Shift Gear once if they have an imposter that's still alive or it'll kill you. You can run min speed on Mega Ttar to avoid Core Enforcer before a Shift Gear but I prefer not to because if you do that you're not fast enough after one boost.

This is by no means my best team but it is a fun team. It can get you a moderately decent GXE of 90% and a fairly respectable ELO of around 1750 if used correctly but if you're aiming for the universally accepted requirements of being considered officially "good" (1850+ ELO and 93%+ GXE) then I would recommend using a stall team. Anyways I hope this isn't a complete waste of everyone's time and hopefully some people have better luck using this team than me.

Recent Replays: I only decided to do this today so I haven't saved many replays yet but I might edit some more in later.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-749820465 (vs Greenheroes)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-749754305 (vs ElMustacho)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-747399787 (vs free my man tele)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-749913610 (Round 2 vs Greenheroes)

*This team will not work low ladder. Make sure you use HO to get to at least 1550 before trying out this team because if you use this in the 1300-1400s you'll get annihilated by mono chansey (speaking from experience here).

Last edited:

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
ok first off get cress back on the vr please

i've used some of the really niche defensive pokemon in d rank like muk-a and mega scizor and there's no reason they should be ranked above cress. if anything cress got better with the transition to usum (that was a long time ago but w/e) because moongeist beam mmy has fallen out of favor with photon geyser's introduction. prankster cress is a better set than regenvest, but both are definitely at least d rank worthy. soundproof, unaware, and fur coat are also kinda cool too (although i haven't used them as much).

cress differentiates itself from other psychic-type walls because of its typing and mixed bulk. it doesn't have mega slowbro's low special bulk or lugia's stealth rock weakness. if you want a psychic wall, cresselia is your go-to mon.

you might argue that psychic walls don't have much of a role in the metagame, but the cool thing about cress in particular is that it can check lots of sweepers thanks to its unique set of weaknesses. while pokemon like zekrom or offensive dialga can easily overwhelm common walls like giratina or primal kyogre, cresselia can handle these pokemon save for z-moves simply because it's not weak to their attacks.

mega sableye to b-

the reason why i'm making this nomination isn't because of any metagame change in mega sableye's favor, it's because of a new set (not sure if i was the first to find it but that really doesn't matter): poison heal.

Sableye-Mega @ Toxic Orb
Relaxed / Sassy Nature
- U-turn
- Core Enforcer / Worry Seed
- Knock Off / filler
- Spiky Shield / King's Shield

this set is good because it combines regenvest sableye's ability to retain momentum with every other sableye's ability to counter ph regi, and as a bonus this one is even immune to sleep.

ph sableye is a lot harder to kill than ph giratina/zyg because it doesn't share their core enforcer weaknesses and it's really slow. i'd argue that in terms of walling defensive foes, it's almost ph audino tier (core enforcer from giratina does 30, but you have a shield move and you can do decent damage in return), except it's also really slow and gives you a ph regi counter. the list of offensive threats this set hard walls is pretty small, but it's excellent at getting momentum so i believe it's a b- worthy set.

below are a couple of replays with this set:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-750682287
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-750950582

ok first off get cress back on the vr please

i've used some of the really niche defensive pokemon in d rank like muk-a and mega scizor and there's no reason they should be ranked above cress. if anything cress got better with the transition to usum (that was a long time ago but w/e) because moongeist beam mmy has fallen out of favor with photon geyser's introduction. prankster cress is a better set than regenvest, but both are definitely at least d rank worthy. soundproof, unaware, and fur coat are also kinda cool too (although i haven't used them as much).

cress differentiates itself from other psychic-type walls because of its typing and mixed bulk. it doesn't have mega slowbro's low special bulk or lugia's stealth rock weakness. if you want a psychic wall, cresselia is your go-to mon.

you might argue that psychic walls don't have much of a role in the metagame, but the cool thing about cress in particular is that it can check lots of sweepers thanks to its unique set of weaknesses. while pokemon like zekrom or offensive dialga can easily overwhelm common walls like giratina or primal kyogre, cresselia can handle these pokemon save for z-moves simply because it's not weak to their attacks.

mega sableye to b-

the reason why i'm making this nomination isn't because of any metagame change in mega sableye's favor, it's because of a new set (not sure if i was the first to find it but that really doesn't matter): poison heal.

Sableye-Mega @ Toxic Orb
Relaxed / Sassy Nature
- U-turn
- Core Enforcer / Worry Seed
- Knock Off / filler
- Spiky Shield / King's Shield

this set is good because it combines regenvest sableye's ability to retain momentum with every other sableye's ability to counter ph regi, and as a bonus this one is even immune to sleep.

ph sableye is a lot harder to kill than ph giratina/zyg because it doesn't share their core enforcer weaknesses and it's really slow. i'd argue that in terms of walling defensive foes, it's almost ph audino tier (core enforcer from giratina does 30, but you have a shield move and you can do decent damage in return), except it's also really slow and gives you a ph regi counter. the list of offensive threats this set hard walls is pretty small, but it's excellent at getting momentum so i believe it's a b- worthy set.

below are a couple of replays with this set:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-750682287
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-750950582
I'm not entirely sure you can call Poison Heal sab a new set when it has been in use since march. Okay march might not sound that long ago, but I'm talking about march 2015.
As to it's viability I couldn't really say since I've only used it once and promptly deleted the team in question.

More importantly why is Cresselia unranked? Its typing isn't the best defensively, but 120/120/130 bulk has got to count for something. It resists Psychic and Fighting aka mewtwo STABs which lets it check the majority of sets from both mewtwos with an ability such as prankster, as well as it's natural bulk allowing it to check a significant number of threats. Being weak to u-turn and overshadowed by pogre in most situations as a generic special wall hold it back, but it deserves at least D (although I'd have said possibly C but one step at a time). Couldn't agree more with SL42 about this.

I'm not sure why Aegislash is listed as a pogre check, is there some water absorb set I don't know about? Even the defensive pogre have a (somewhat slim) chance to 2hko after rocks with spectral.

Now on to the really important stuff:
Imposter-Proof Setup Sweepers:
{Multitype w/ Spooky Judgment, Normalize w/ Ghostium-Z, Poison Heal w/ Status}
There are no words for how much pain this causes me.

Duckymomo Senior

Banned deucer.
I was not aware that this "vr ranking" thing existed until recently and for the most part I think it's pretty accurate but there are a few noticeable flaws that I think should be addressed. I will start at the top and work my way down so I don't miss anything.

Kyogre-Primal A+ to S:
Pogre is pretty much invincible on the special side unless it's a Xurkitree (rare) or Sceptile (uncommon). The dreaded regenvest set is just so good and it's pretty much on every stall team cause it's broken. Pheal adds offensive pressure and it takes core enforcers like a champ unlike regigigas. It's unaware and fur coat sets aren't bad either and can be really annoying to offensive mons. It is weak to Kartana (but what isn't?) and zekrom.

Mewtwo-Mega X A+ to B+:
MMX is extremely overrated. With the banning of Psychic Surge it's pretty much useless. Yes there is Photon Gayser but that doesn't really accomplish anything for it since it's worse than both sunsteel and moongeist. MMX also doesn't really have a good ability anymore like MMY does. Basically if ur using it for a Psychic type it's outclassed by MMY and if ur using it for the Attack just use Kartana since it isn't walled so easily.

Slaking A to B-:
There's really no reason to use Slaking over Regigigas unless ur running final gambit but I really don't think final gambit is A level material.

Groudon A- to B:
While it is still a pdon which is God level, it is far, far worse since I basically have one set that's easily walled and hard to improof.

Kangaskhan A- to B:
While it can easily destroy unprepared stall teams, it's pretty garbage versus offensive mons so if ur up against HO or balance it's basically fucking useless.

Gyarados-Mega B+ to B-:
Gyarados is also overrated like MMX. It objectively has better typing than Ttar but I prefer offensive Ttar which outclasses offensive gyara and defensively Yveltal is just better so there's really not much reason to be using this mon.

Arceus B to B+:
It's harder to kill Arceus than u think and it's better offensively than you'd think too. It also has a ton of viable sets similar to Mray which makes it scary to play against.

Kartana B to A+:
I really don't know how Kartana could possibly be considered on the same level as Sceptile or in what universe it has the same offensive presence as Xurkitree but here we are. Kartana is undoubtedly the best physical attacker in the metagame and it decimates entire teams with ease. It has even more viable sets than Mray and arguably has the same function as a pdon with less fortunate typing. It does struggle slightly against special attackers but that's why we have regenvest mons and steel types. Kartana may have slight problems against HO but if ur opponent has just one defensive mon something will die when u send in kart.

Xurkitree B to C+:
Some people say Kartana is too slow to be good but they're wrong. Xurkitree, however, is. It's boomburst hits harder than zekrom but zekrom is way better for obvious reasons and Mray/MDiancie are better as Specs -ate users. Even Kyurem W is better than Xurkitree idk how it's ranked lower.

Celesteela B- to B+:
Celesteela definitely isn't the best steel type but it's better than ferrothorn imo. Ppl will know it's flash fire for sure but they will with ferrothorn too. Celesteela is more similar to Aegislash in that it's relatively niche but still fairly decent even though its outclassed by registeel and solgaleo.

Slowbro-Mega B- to B+:
Slowbro is also relatively niche but it's definitely a little underrated too. Soundproof and fur coat sets are both difficult for some teams to break and it fits well on stall teams. Also it has respectable special attack so u can run sets like the legendary GLOWBRO (TM) to surprise kill things and Sap Sipper to troll Kartana.

I won't get into the C or D ranks for now since I haven't really used those mons enough to know if they're ranked correctly but I hope people consider my suggestions for the S through B ranks since i have a lot of experience with the ladder and using those mons.

anaconja

long day at job
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
I'm not nearly as good at BH but I'll just throw out my opinions here, feel free to take these with a grain of salt though

I was not aware that this "vr ranking" thing existed until recently and for the most part I think it's pretty accurate but there are a few noticeable flaws that I think should be addressed. I will start at the top and work my way down so I don't miss anything.

Kyogre-Primal A+ to S:
Pogre is pretty much invincible on the special side unless it's a Xurkitree (rare) or Sceptile (uncommon). The dreaded regenvest set is just so good and it's pretty much on every stall team cause it's broken. Pheal adds offensive pressure and it takes core enforcers like a champ unlike regigigas. It's unaware and fur coat sets aren't bad either and can be really annoying to offensive mons. It is weak to Kartana (but what isn't?) and zekrom.

Mewtwo-Mega X A+ to B+:
MMX is extremely overrated. With the banning of Psychic Surge it's pretty much useless. Yes there is Photon Gayser but that doesn't really accomplish anything for it since it's worse than both sunsteel and moongeist. MMX also doesn't really have a good ability anymore like MMY does. Basically if ur using it for a Psychic type it's outclassed by MMY and if ur using it for the Attack just use Kartana since it isn't walled so easily.

Slaking A to B-:
There's really no reason to use Slaking over Regigigas unless ur running final gambit but I really don't think final gambit is A level material.

Groudon A- to B:
While it is still a pdon which is God level, it is far, far worse since I basically have one set that's easily walled and hard to improof.

Kangaskhan A- to B:
While it can easily destroy unprepared stall teams, it's pretty garbage versus offensive mons so if ur up against HO or balance it's basically fucking useless.

Gyarados-Mega B+ to B-:
Gyarados is also overrated like MMX. It objectively has better typing than Ttar but I prefer offensive Ttar which outclasses offensive gyara and defensively Yveltal is just better so there's really not much reason to be using this mon.

Arceus B to B+:
It's harder to kill Arceus than u think and it's better offensively than you'd think too. It also has a ton of viable sets similar to Mray which makes it scary to play against.

Kartana B to A+:
I really don't know how Kartana could possibly be considered on the same level as Sceptile or in what universe it has the same offensive presence as Xurkitree but here we are. Kartana is undoubtedly the best physical attacker in the metagame and it decimates entire teams with ease. It has even more viable sets than Mray and arguably has the same function as a pdon with less fortunate typing. It does struggle slightly against special attackers but that's why we have regenvest mons and steel types. Kartana may have slight problems against HO but if ur opponent has just one defensive mon something will die when u send in kart.

Xurkitree B to C+:
Some people say Kartana is too slow to be good but they're wrong. Xurkitree, however, is. It's boomburst hits harder than zekrom but zekrom is way better for obvious reasons and Mray/MDiancie are better as Specs -ate users. Even Kyurem W is better than Xurkitree idk how it's ranked lower.

Celesteela B- to B+:
Celesteela definitely isn't the best steel type but it's better than ferrothorn imo. Ppl will know it's flash fire for sure but they will with ferrothorn too. Celesteela is more similar to Aegislash in that it's relatively niche but still fairly decent even though its outclassed by registeel and solgaleo.

Slowbro-Mega B- to B+:
Slowbro is also relatively niche but it's definitely a little underrated too. Soundproof and fur coat sets are both difficult for some teams to break and it fits well on stall teams. Also it has respectable special attack so u can run sets like the legendary GLOWBRO (TM) to surprise kill things and Sap Sipper to troll Kartana.

I won't get into the C or D ranks for now since I haven't really used those mons enough to know if they're ranked correctly but I hope people consider my suggestions for the S through B ranks since i have a lot of experience with the ladder and using those mons.
Kyogre-Primal: I'm not really sure about this one. Yes, it's really bulky - I run Unaware on all my semistall teams and it tanks special hits like a champ. 100/90 is pretty bad though, which prevents it from walling mixed attackers. imo I'd keep at A+.

Mewtwo-Mega-X: I'd disagree. Mewtwo-Mega-Y, while having that 140 Speed to beat stuff like Gengar-Mega, doesn't have dual STAB, while Kartana can't beat Flash Fire steels unless it runs something like Close Combat. Adaptability is super powerful, 2HKOing Giratina with Photon Gayser, and as stated by i think Gurpreet Patel (Sent you a Friend Request), Kartana essentially only uses Sunsteel Strike as its STAB (it's likely not to use Power Whip, if it even uses it, unless it uses Tinted Lens), effectively giving it one STAB. Mewtwo-Mega-X's STABs, however, hit much of the tier at least 1x effective. It's not nearly as good after Psychic Surge was banned, but it's still very threatening. I'd drop it to A- (with Audino-Mega) or B+ (with Gyarados-Mega and Fur Coat Chansey).

Slaking: Agree. With a paltry 65 Special Defense and an average 100 Speed, it's not getting off a very good Final Gambit, either.

Groudon: I'm leaning towards disagree. Having a 160 base Defense really helps against revenge -aters, and the only mons that can safely switch in are Giratina, Zygarde-Complete, Slowbro-Mega, and Flash Fire Celesteela, and even then Groudon can run surprise stuff like Ice Beam, Fleur Cannon, or Bolt Strike. It is really slow for a sweeper, though, and hard to improof as you mentioned. I'd move it to B+ or B.

Kangaskhan(-Mega): I disagree. While it does struggle against offensive teams, they are more rare than balanced, semistall, and stall teams due to the overall bulky nature of the metagame. Doing a guaranteed 75% to any switch-in can be downright deadly to the defenses of any team.

Gyarados-Mega: I disagree. It being resistant to both Sunsteel Strike and Moongeist Beam is its main selling point, which both Kyogre-Primal and Yveltal envy. Additionally, Tyranitar-Mega is bogged down by its myriad to weakness (especially to Steel, Water, and Ground, all common types), and is not resistant to its own Rock STAB, unlike Gyarados-Mega, giving the latter a niche in Poison Heal sets.

252 SpA Arceus Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gyarados-Mega: 130-154 (32.9 - 39%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Gyarados-Mega: 93-109 (23.6 - 27.6%) -- 77.7% chance to 4HKO

252 SpA Arceus Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Yveltal: 174-205 (38.1 - 44.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Yveltal: 93-109 (20.3 - 23.9%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
(psa: dont use boomburst + espeed arceus)

This shows that Gyarados-Mega is more bulky (in terms of defenses); since Yveltal is weak to Stealth Rock, it will have usually have less health than Gyarados-Mega (342 compared to 394).

Arceus: I haven't used or seen this enough to have a definitive answer, so I'll skip this one.

Kartana: I'd agree that it's better than it sounds, but not that it's on the level of stuff like Giratina and Kyogre-Primal. Sure, its Steelworker-boosted Sunsteel Strike is super powerful, until it meets any Flash Fire steel type and gets walled to hell and back. Tinted Lens is also pretty good, but then it gets walled by Zygod and Giratina unless it runs Ice Hammer.

Rayquaza: tinted lens, contrary, aerilate, triage, quick feet, prankster
Kartana: tinted lens, unburden, adaptability, steelworker
:megathink: (this is fairly subjective so dont quote me on this)

I'd move it to B+ or a generous A-.

Xurkitree: Agree. Lack of dual typing really hurts it, and it doesn't have the bulk to make up for its lack of speed.

Celesteela: Agree. While it doesn't have the bulk of Registeel, it has the perk of avoiding Precipice Blades and Earthquake and taking neutral from Thousand Arrows. Also Registeel and Solgadusk don't completely outclass Aegislash because Aegislash is immune to Fighting types and takes 1/4 from U-Turn.

Slowbro-Mega: Agree. It literally has the best unboosted physical bulk in the game (besides Avalugg lol). While it is weak to Knock Off, Spectral Thief, and U-Turn, it cteams Mewtwo-Mega-X and most -atespeeders super easily.

uh fin i guess

while Kartana can't beat Flash Fire steels unless it runs something like Close Combat.
until it meets any Flash Fire steel type and gets walled to hell and back.
While it's true that you have registeel and solgaleo (which is becoming endangered in the current meta anyway) who can do this:
252+ Atk Choice Band Steelworker Kartana Sunsteel Strike vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Registeel: 153-181 (42 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Steelworker Kartana Sunsteel Strike vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Solgaleo: 195-229 (40.7 - 47.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (and it can be +def)
There's also other steel types who are not so fortunate:
252+ Atk Choice Band Steelworker Kartana Sunsteel Strike vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Celesteela: 183-216 (45.9 - 54.2%) -- 48.4% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Steelworker Kartana Sunsteel Strike vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Celesteela: 201-237 (50.5 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (I included both natures to be fair and bc both are fairly common)
252+ Atk Choice Band Steelworker Kartana Sunsteel Strike vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Ferrothorn: 169-199 (48 - 56.5%) -- 33.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (+def just about lives with lefties assuming no chip at all)
252+ Atk Choice Band Steelworker Kartana Sunsteel Strike vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Aegislash-Shield: 153-181 (47.2 - 55.8%) -- 82% chance to 2HKO

If by to hell and back you mean gets 2hkoed with a tiny amount of chip when I guess you're right.

That being said flash fire registeel isn't uncommon and kartana does suffer against a lot of offensive stuff not to mention sunsteel strike feels like it has -18pp sometimes.

I'd support a rise to B+ but probably not higher.

On the Slaking thing: I can see the motivation behind putting slaking and regigigas in the same slot, but slaking just doesn't work as well in pretty much the only set worth using. It does have a niche of better physical bulk making it more resistant to imposter which is nice, but theres so much stuff the spdef means it can't set up on where gigas can. But either way I can see why it's better not having two almost identical mons right next to each other and ranking them separately and it isn't much worse in all honesty.

Won't say any more bc I have an exam in 23 mins.

A bunch of prospective changes as well as questions to the set pedia. Feel free to discuss.

Arceus
Add Magic Bounce sweeper (quiver dance/Boomburst/Judgment/Recover), with icicle plate. You get Magic bounce support that also offensively checks a number of nasty mons if icicle plate, the main one being Rayquaza-mega even +3 Oblivion wing or specs Boomburst can't KO from full). Once all steel types are removed it sets up pretty effectively as well, and its bulk is impressive (check out my post in creative and underrated sets for calcs). It also absorbs knock off since it can't lose its plate, and is imposterproofed by any Ghost-type. The main problem with the set is that it's slow, requiring at least a turn to be threatening. Still a worthy set and one I've used on a number of teams with success.

Audino-mega
utility: add spikes to the second move options.
Unaware: why is entrainment listed here? I've never seen it used the few times I've even seen unaware mega audino being used. I might even argue that this set doesn't deserve a spot here, because it can barely switch into anything unless it's imposterproofing something.

Dialga
Remove references to King's Shield on the Tail Glow sets. It just wastes a turn and you're not staying in on strong physical threats like MMX or even Diancie-Megaanyway. I would also slash Dragon Tail with Core Enforcer on this set as the phasing can really annoy people if they get their Diancie-Mega blown out when the Doom Desire hits. Core is definitely more consistent though.
Add Fur Coat set (@Steelium-Z, recover, Core Enforcer, Knock Off / Doom Desire / Counter, Anchor Shot / Doom Desire). It serves as a universal counter to PH Regigigas, and with Counter can:
* surprise KO MMX (252 Atk Choice Band Adaptability Mewtwo-Mega-X Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Dialga: 336-396 (83.1 - 98%) -- guaranteed 2HKO),
*recover-stall Groudon-Primal (252+ Atk Groudon-Primal V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Dialga in Harsh Sunshine: 198-234 (49 - 57.9%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO),Precipice blades does 43-51%
If yu use Anchor Shot you can also kill any variant of Mega ttar, even Choice Band.

Diancie-Mega
Mixed Pixilate: Add Groundium-Z to the items options, before Life Orb and maybe even before Goggles. That's because you can sort of bluff Pixie Plate if you use it. Actually Goggles is a horrible item for this set, probably worse than Life Orb.

Ferrothorn
Switch the set order. No one uses Unaware Ferrothorn. I've seen more Prankster Ferrothorn than Unaware Ferrothorn and it's not even on here.

Groudon
Split the sets into Bulky Setup and Shell Smash. They play very differently. The Bulky set can actually run an impish or careful nature; the added bulk lets it survive some hits after chip damage like +2 regigigas facade, which deals 81-96% with a neutral nature but only 74.5-87% with Impish. The bulky set usually runs Shift Gear/Stealth Rock, Precipice Blades / Thousand Arrows, Synthesis / U-Turn, and V-Create / U-Turn, which lets it pressure defensive cores. It also can offensively check Mega Diancie.
The Shell Smash set usually runs Shell Smash, Thousand Arrows , Bolt Strike / Sacred Fire, Fleur Cannon for optimal coverage. Run Bolt Strike to beat Unaware Primal Kyogre, or Sacred Fire for strong sun-boosted stab.
Gyarados-Mega
The assault Vest set has Choice Band slashed on it for some odd reason

Kartana
Steelworker: The moveset should be Sunsteel, V-Create / Close Combat, Bullet Punch / Trick / U-Turn, Bullet Punch / Trick / U-Turn. Tinted Lens is also a viable ability for the band set.

Kyogre-primal
Poison Heal: This should be modest nature. You miss out on outspeeding base 145 such as Beedrill and Mega Sceptile, but the power gain is worth it. Slash Revelation Dance and Water Spout with Scald, and Ice Beam and Moonblast with Freeze Dry. I think that the Poison Heal sets should be combined. THey aren't really that different.
Specs Wallbreaker: Add Primordial sea as a possible ability.

Necrozma-Dm
Unburden: Change Precipice Blades to Earthquake. The miss chance makes it not guaranteed imposterproof. Earthquake kills Imposter just as well.

Rayquaza-mega
Choice Specs Aerilate: Replace Magma Storm with Moongeist Beam. That 75% accuracy is very bad, and a lot of steels are running Flash Fire anyway. Though they all die to Boomburst unless they have vests so maybe that's a moot point. Also slash Core Enforcer with Draco because it's easier to spam.
Triage: The set should be Oblivion Wing, Moongeist Beam / Giga Drain / Substitute, Tail Glow / Shell Smash, Spore / Drain Punch / Moongeist Beam / Earth Power

Zekrom
Imposterproof setup is no longer Imposterproof because Judgment doesn't become Electric type due to Galvanize. It stays Normal Type. So Imposter can still 2hKO you.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
zygarde-c a+ to a

zygarde-c has gotten a lot harder to justify over giratina recently. it's a less solid check to mons like ph regi and cb adaptability mmx, and with the resurgence of sturdy shedinja you usually want giratina on your team to check it better. offensive ph zygarde has completely died out by this point, and giratina actually puts on more pressure thanks to stab spectral thief.

solgaleo a to a-

i'm not saying solgaleo is a bad mon, i just don't think it's that much better than other steels like celesteela and registeel. sure, it gives you more bulk and no fighting weakness, but the high speed and the spectral thief weakness are really bad.

shedinja b+ to a-

shed has seen increased usage on the ladder as people have figured out that the support needed is absolutely worth it because of how valuable completely and utterly shutting down certain pokemon is. highlighter's shed balance and my semistall are examples of shed teams that have found success on the ladder.

necrozma-dusk b+ to b

defensive necrozma is almost completely outclassed by solgaleo at this point imo. flash fire and prankster variants are starting to overshadow regenvest (which is still good but not that good), and necrozma dusk has a really hard time staying healthy without regen because it's slower than giratina.

offensive dusk mane is decent, the main problem i have is that every single variant relies on boosting. cb necrozma isn't a set; it gets shut down by imposter and flash fire steels. if you see a necrozma on hyper offense, you can just send in your prankster user every time.

blaziken-mega c to b-

this mon is definitely on the same level as stuff like kyuw. most teams don't have a switchin for cb lens at all because of fc giratina pretty much dying out. being able to threaten ff steels and ttar is also fantastic. FRIED CHICKEN ALL

deoxys-a b- to c

deoxys a has the biggest 4 moveslot syndrome i've ever seen. first off you need life orb and tough claws or neuroforce with v-create to ohko steels at +0 or else they kill you with uturn. you need bolt strike or ogre kills you. you need knock off and +speed or mmy kills you. you need cb+claws+spectral thief or mmx kills you. you need dazzling or you die to priority. mons like audino and giratina can take a hit and ohko back. you need stab. you want sleep and even then you need sleep turns. you want sash but then you don't 2hko giratina with ice beam. you want setup but that requires a free turn and GOOD LUCK GETTING THAT

outspeeding and ohkoing mmy as well as preventing imposter from switching in is nice, but this mon just needs too many things. with mmy/mmx/other offensive mons you can do stuff more easily thanks to the higher bulk.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
zygarde-c a+ to a

zygarde-c has gotten a lot harder to justify over giratina recently. it's a less solid check to mons like ph regi and cb adaptability mmx, and with the resurgence of sturdy shedinja you usually want giratina on your team to check it better. offensive ph zygarde has completely died out by this point, and giratina actually puts on more pressure thanks to stab spectral thief.

solgaleo a to a-

i'm not saying solgaleo is a bad mon, i just don't think it's that much better than other steels like celesteela and registeel. sure, it gives you more bulk and no fighting weakness, but the high speed and the spectral thief weakness are really bad.

shedinja b+ to a-

shed has seen increased usage on the ladder as people have figured out that the support needed is absolutely worth it because of how valuable completely and utterly shutting down certain pokemon is. highlighter's shed balance and my semistall are examples of shed teams that have found success on the ladder.

necrozma-dusk b+ to b

defensive necrozma is almost completely outclassed by solgaleo at this point imo. flash fire and prankster variants are starting to overshadow regenvest (which is still good but not that good), and necrozma dusk has a really hard time staying healthy without regen because it's slower than giratina.

offensive dusk mane is decent, the main problem i have is that every single variant relies on boosting. cb necrozma isn't a set; it gets shut down by imposter and flash fire steels. if you see a necrozma on hyper offense, you can just send in your prankster user every time.

blaziken-mega c to b-

this mon is definitely on the same level as stuff like kyuw. most teams don't have a switchin for cb lens at all because of fc giratina pretty much dying out. being able to threaten ff steels and ttar is also fantastic. FRIED CHICKEN ALL

deoxys-a b- to c

deoxys a has the biggest 4 moveslot syndrome i've ever seen. first off you need life orb and tough claws or neuroforce with v-create to ohko steels at +0 or else they kill you with uturn. you need bolt strike or ogre kills you. you need knock off and +speed or mmy kills you. you need cb+claws+spectral thief or mmx kills you. you need dazzling or you die to priority. mons like audino and giratina can take a hit and ohko back. you need stab. you want sleep and even then you need sleep turns. you want sash but then you don't 2hko giratina with ice beam. you want setup but that requires a free turn and GOOD LUCK GETTING THAT

outspeeding and ohkoing mmy as well as preventing imposter from switching in is nice, but this mon just needs too many things. with mmy/mmx/other offensive mons you can do stuff more easily thanks to the higher bulk.
In regards to deoxys-a b- to c:
“You need life orb and tough claws or neuroforce with v-create to ohko steels at +0 or else they kill you with uturn.”

What about Desolate Land? 50% Boost without the item. Focus Sash can be used now.

“You need bolt strike or ogre kills you.”

If you want more accuracy and will use Desolate Land, Solar Blade works well, and also threatens Tyranitar-Mega, and Diancie-Mega, not to mention Swampert-Mega.

252 Atk Life Orb Deoxys-Attack Solar Blade vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Kyogre-Primal: 382-452 (94.5 - 111.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

“You need knock off and +speed or mmy kills you.”

Desolate V-Create, without an item, does even more damage without needing an extra coverage move:

Deoxys-Attack V-create vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Mewtwo-Mega-Y in Harsh Sunshine: 484-569 (116.3 - 136.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

“You need cb+claws+spectral thief or mmx kills you.”

Not really.

252 Atk Life Orb Deoxys-Attack V-create vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Mewtwo-Mega-X in Harsh Sunshine: 387-456 (93 - 109.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

“You need dazzling or you die to priority.”

Yes, same with Pheromosa, but people use her for Skill Link, and other sets... and she has weak Defenses and much less threatening offensive stats.

“Mons like audino and giratina can take a hit and ohko back.”

252 Atk Life Orb Deoxys-Attack V-create vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Audino-Mega in Harsh Sunshine: 329-387 (80.2 - 94.3%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Ya, about half the time...

As for other moves, what about Hustle?

252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Deoxys-Attack Sunsteel Strike vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Audino-Mega: 367-432 (89.5 - 105.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Deoxys-Attack Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Giratina: 455-536 (90.2 - 106.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Deoxys-Attack Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Kyogre-Primal: 460-543 (113.8 - 134.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Deoxys-Attack Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Yveltal: 442-523 (96.9 - 114.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

“-You need stab.
-You want sleep and even then you need sleep turns.
-You want sash but then you don't 2hko giratina with ice beam.
-You want setup but that requires a free turn and GOOD LUCK GETTING THAT”

-Hustle = STAB Equivalent.
-Now you can 1HKO the “checks”, so no need for sleep.
-You may want Sash and you can use it with Desolate Land... Otherwise you can can 1HKO Giratina with Life Orb and Hustle Outrage...

-Set up isn’t needed since you have all 4 coverage moves that you could need to handle what it needs to handle. So there isn’t a 4 moveslot syndrome...

Afraid of a 20% miss, well isn’t Bolt Strike 85% accuracy? While a Hustle boosted Fusion Bolt is equivalent to 150 Power at 80% Accuracy.

-Sunsteel Strike (Audino-Mega 1HKOed)
-Outrage (Giratina OKed)
-V-Create
-Fusion Bolt (Kyogre/Yveltal 1HKOed)

Yes Outrage is a free switch-in for Fairy Types, just like V-Create is a free switch-in for Flash Fire, and Bolt Strike (and Fusion Bolt) is a free switch in for Zygarde, P-Groudon, etc.
P.S. Not promoting a set per say, just acknowledging that Deoxys-A, when provided my considerations, will be able to 1HKO all of the Pokémon you said it couldn’t, with just 4 moves...

Last edited:
In regards to deoxys-a b- to c:
“You need life orb and tough claws or neuroforce with v-create to ohko steels at +0 or else they kill you with uturn.”

What about Desolate Land? 50% Boost without the item. Focus Sash can be used now.(1)

“You need bolt strike or ogre kills you.”

If you want more accuracy and will use Desolate Land, Solar Blade works well, and also threatens Tyranitar-Mega, and Diancie-Mega(2), not to mention Swampert-Mega.

252 Atk Life Orb Deoxys-Attack Solar Blade vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Kyogre-Primal: 382-452 (94.5 - 111.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

“You need knock off and +speed or mmy kills you.”

Desolate V-Create, without an item, does even more damage without needing an extra coverage move:

Deoxys-Attack V-create vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Mewtwo-Mega-Y in Harsh Sunshine: 484-569 (116.3 - 136.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO (3)

“You need cb+claws+spectral thief or mmx kills you.”

Not really.

252 Atk Life Orb Deoxys-Attack V-create vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Mewtwo-Mega-X in Harsh Sunshine: 387-456 (93 - 109.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

“You need dazzling or you die to priority.”

Yes, same with Pheromosa(4), but people use her for Skill Link, and other sets... and she has weak Defenses and much less threatening offensive stats.

“Mons like audino and giratina can take a hit and ohko back.”

252 Atk Life Orb Deoxys-Attack V-create vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Audino-Mega in Harsh Sunshine: 329-387 (80.2 - 94.3%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Ya, about half the time...

As for other moves, what about Hustle? (5)

252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Deoxys-Attack Sunsteel Strike vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Audino-Mega: 367-432 (89.5 - 105.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Deoxys-Attack Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Giratina: 455-536 (90.2 - 106.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock (6)

252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Deoxys-Attack Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Kyogre-Primal: 460-543 (113.8 - 134.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO (7)

252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Deoxys-Attack Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Yveltal: 442-523 (96.9 - 114.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock (7)

“-You need stab.
-You want sleep and even then you need sleep turns.
-You want sash but then you don't 2hko giratina with ice beam.
-You want setup but that requires a free turn and GOOD LUCK GETTING THAT”

-Hustle = STAB Equivalent.
-Now you can 1HKO the “checks”, so no need for sleep.
-You may want Sash and you can use it with Desolate Land... Otherwise you can can 1HKO Giratina with Life Orb and Hustle Outrage...

-Set up isn’t needed since you have all 4 coverage moves that you could need to handle what it needs to handle. So there isn’t a 4 moveslot syndrome...

Afraid of a 20% miss, well isn’t Bolt Strike 85% accuracy?(8) While a Hustle boosted Fusion Bolt is equivalent to 150 Power at 80% Accuracy.

-Sunsteel Strike (Audino-Mega 1HKOed)
-Outrage (Giratina OKed)
-V-Create
-Fusion Bolt (Kyogre/Yveltal 1HKOed)

Yes Outrage is a free switch-in for Fairy Types, just like V-Create is a free switch-in for Flash Fire, and Bolt Strike (and Fusion Bolt) is a free switch in for Zygarde, P-Groudon, etc.
P.S. Not promoting a set per say, just acknowledging that Deoxys-A, when provided my considerations, will be able to 1HKO all of the Pokémon you said it couldn’t, with just 4 moves...(9)
Following numbered answers reference numbers added in quoted text.
1) Right, but all your calcs except one assume you have a life orb, so you aren't using a sash. You can't bring both a sash and a life orb. This is obvious but all your calcs (bar one) only works with an orb, with the effect of having 0 survivability or no OHKO on stuff.
2) Diancie Fakespeeds and Deo-a loses. MG sets with a sash can smash on deo-a and outspeed.
3) Scoring an OHKO with a physical move against mmy isn't exactly a benchmark given how 106/70 bulk is paltry by BH standards. That's not a good example.
4) Pheromosa is ranked C, which is the rank proposed by Gurpreet Patel (Sent you a Friend Request). Admitting that Deo-a needs Dazzling just as Pheromosa does, for the same reasons, is a good point for its proposed change in tier. Which expresses the low viability of deo-a.
5) Hustle is high risk high reward. 100% of OHKO after rocks means nothing if hustle makes the attack miss. And it will die to most of the stuff the opponent will throw at it.
6) What? The first one wasn't enough. What? Outrage? Aside the fact that you are relying on:
*The item slot.
*The ability slot.
*Giratina not running def+.
*SR on the field.
*Giratina not running FC.
*Hitting the 80% because of hustle.
*Predicting that Giratina will stay in on Deo-a.
**Maybe instead of Tina it was Zygarde because it has better bulk stat-wise and that isn't going to die to Outrage.
You are going to be locked into that. If whatever switches in isn't a fairy, it's free set-up for the switch in, free momentum or disabling Deo-a (WoW, Nuzzle, Beak Blast stuff like this).
7) (appears twice because relevant twice) Hustle Fusion Bolt does less than Neuroforce Bolt Strike and the latter is more accurate. Deo-a doesn't even need neuroforce because without it it has still >90% chance of OHKO on kyogre. It hasn't this luxury on yveltal but in case of Neuroforce, Yveltal (the one you posted) is OHKOed without SR up.
8) If one is "afraid" of 85% accuracy (I usually am for example), then 80% accuracy is not going to be used at all. Let's not use what is strictly outclassed (referring to 7 and 8).
9) ...and the item. And the ability. And assuming a neutral defensive nature. And assuming that they don't run Fur Coat (ok that doesn't apply to sunsteel but it has 4 targets, top, and 2 of them may run priority anyway). And Stealth Rocks. And avoiding the missing chance of Hustle.

All of that, and then while eviolite imposter won't switch on it or even stay on it because it's suicidal, a scarfed one will kill it. The same isn't true to (unboosted) MMX or MMY, for example.

Edit: grammar.

Last edited:
I would like to point out, as I do in any Deo-A discussion, that the Deo in question's bulk is so terrible that is cleanly OHKOed by Caterpie.

252+ Atk Caterpie Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Deoxys-Attack: 324-384 (106.5 - 126.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

(And if anyone wants to play the "Oh, but its super effective" card, then I'll play the "Caterpie has friggin' base 30 attack!" card.)

Deo-A literally has no safe switch-ins in the meta except against Pokemon lacking both attacks and status moves. Therefore, it can only come in as a lead, after a teammate death, a pivot, or on a prediction. Most VR Pokemon can at least get away with no support on occasion, but Deo-A finds support mandatory in every scenario where it is not leading, just to get in. Even if that "support" is the teammate knocking itself out. Focus Sash helps, but you absolutely need hazards clear and you're gonna struggle to find OHKOs without any boosts.

IMO, except in metas where Deo-A is overwhelmingly powerful and can run teams with nothing but itself, such as the CFZ meta, it should never be above a C because of the team support it needs. (And C is being generous, IMO.) Especially since its best moves and abilities (Huge Power, Protean, Parental Bond, Psychic Surge, and CFZs) have been steadily culled from the meta over the years regardless of whether it was the primary abuser or not.

The problem with Deo-A is it faces heavy competition from MMY, MMX, and UNecro. Not only are their bulk much higher, but they hit harder and/or have a secondary stab to help breaking. The speed tier doesn't matter too much, as the only notable mons being Sceptile, +1 Hoopa-U, MMY, MGar, MMX. And UNecro is bad anyways so the only benefit of Deo-A over MMX is outspeeding MGar and MMY, which is a pretty minor benefit compared to much higher bulk and damage output as well as STAB to beat general steels.

I would like to request that Metagross-Mega be evaluated for placement. Here's a few sets:

Sets:
Bulky Offensive Sweeper:
Metagross-Mega @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Sunsteel Strike
- Spectral Thief
- Horn Leech/Drain Punch/Leech Life

This set is made to abuse the combination of bulk and speed that Metagross-Mega possesses. Shift Gear gives a great boost to it's already decently good speed. Due to it also having great bulk, it can reasonably use Horn Leech, Drain Punch or Leech Life to heal itself. Spectral Thief and Unaware are used as Improofing. The combination not only helps protect against Imposter, it outright punishes Imposter users. Unaware makes it so that the Imposter can't use the benefits of Shift Gear or any other stat boosts that Metagross has, and Spooky Spectral Thief allows Metagross to punish the Imposter by essentially using the Imposter to double it's own stat boosts. Sunsteel Strike is used for the same reason you would run it on any other set.

Offensive Shift Gear:
Metagross-Mega @ Leftovers
Ability: Steelworker
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Photon Geyser
- Sunsteel Strike
- Punishment
This set still has Leftovers due to Metagross' bulk, making the set slightly harder to deal with. Steelworker makes Sunsteel Strike a lot more powerful, making it better as a wallbreaker. You could use Adaptability if you wanted a boost to Photon Geyser as well, though it is highly discouraged. Punishment allows it to punish Stored Power/Power Trip users. It can also punish Cosmic Power users.

Offensive Pivot:
Metagross-Mega @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Tinted Lens/Neuroforce/Scrappy
Jolly Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Sunsteel Strike
- Photon Geyser
- Drain Punch
Yes, the Ability is interchangeable. This set can be switched in on most setup sweepers and lock them down when used as an offensive pivot. The Weakness Policy makes it even more effective as a pivot or sweeper. Sunsteel Strike and Photon Geyser are there for obvious reasons. Drain Punch allows it to last longer and recover from damage it could take from a switch.

I would suggest putting it in C rank, as it has quite a few counters. I would enjoy seeing any reasons for it being better than C rank, or worse. Or if there is a completely different set for it that is much better than any of my listed sets. Please be civilized in any criticisms of this post.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)