Pokémon Barbaracle

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's got pretty good base stats, so what about just not using Shell Smash?

I slapped An Assault Vest on my Barbaracle, and it's shown to work really well. Monstrous 115 Defense and 86 Sp. Defense is definitely not too bad, especially when boosted by Assault Vest.

105 Attack isn't the greatest, but its still really good, and not quite in need of boosting.
Assault Vest is a generally poor item that should only ever be used over Leftovers in very specific situations.

I can't believe GF makes a pokemon that looks like this. It looks so scary, if I were a kid, I wouldn't be able to play pokemon for weeks. o.o

Well, back to topic: What does it have over the other Water-Typ shell smasher?
If you want to talk about the defensiv prospectiv, all other Shell Smasher usually are leading and have a Focus Sash or Study (Carracosta).
Cloyster and Carracosta get in most cases at least one shell smash, have piority, reliable moves and they can go mixed if nessecary. Omastar and the Clamperl-Evolutions can go special and have something to boost their speed (swift swim, breaking armor) not to mention, again, reliable movepool. Carracosta and Omastar have even the same typing.
Not trying to say it is bad, but I believe the other shell smasher have more to offer than some "Hands with Eyes that grow on Rocks".
The only set I can see here functioning is hone claw to make its moves effective. I was going to think about a choice band set but with moves like stone miss or cross chop that could take advantage of its ability Tough Claws speak for themselves.

I tried to make an interesting set:
-Adamant nature
-Sniper ability
-252 EVs to Atk and Def, 4 going to HP
-Scope Lens
-Moveset of:
--Cross Chop
--Stone Edge
--Shadow Claw
--Hone Claws
Any suggestions/changes?

Accuracy is defenitely a problem with Barbaracle's sweeping, and so is power. What about:
Lum/whtHerb/Sash
Whatever spread fits your team. Bulky to setup more, or offensive to go with one boost.
Hone claws
Shell smash
StoneEdge
Razor shell
This gives you both options. If you can come in on something that can't touch you, say talonflame, you setup whatever is most needed on the switch. Depending on the situation, you can get both. Water and rock get great neutral coverage.

Also, has anyone considered a bulky spread with bulk up and infestation???

I was wondering can Barbaracle learn Stealth Rock or is that something we'll have to wait until the Pokémon Bank is released to know?

If so I'd suggest a lead with:

Focus Sash, Adamant, Tough Claws, 252 Atk/252 Spe/4HP

Stealth Rock
Shell Smash
Razor Shell
Stone Edge

I used to run a Crustle with this kind of setup (Sturdy in lieu of the Sash) and it worked pretty well, allowing you to set up a SR or go straight for Shell Smash and get some momentum by catching the opponent off guard (with Barbaracle being even better in this regard, having a decent speed when doubled). Obviously it's not perfect, being weak to priority fighting moves and not enjoying taunt, but it has fairly decent coverage and under the right circumstances would allow you to hit the ground running.

Well, back to topic: What does it have over the other Water-Typ shell smasher?
With the exception of Cloyster, Barbaracle has much higher speed than other Shell Smash users. From experience last gen that becomes really important when trying to figure out how survivable it will be in the long run. Still Cloyster, with skill link, probably fulfills this role better.

Last edited:
My set for barbaracle:

Razor shell- stab, tough claws boost, lowers def

Brick break- tough claws boost, breaks screens, coverage

Shadow claw- tough claws boost, high crit hit rate, coverage

Shell smash- instant sweeper

Likely tier for him is RU/UU because of his weaknesses to common move types (ground, fighting, grass). Definitely not on the same level as cloyster as a shell smasher

Ghost-fighting is perfect neutral coverage. Cross chop is unreliable, as is stone edge. put him in the sand if you want to bulk up his spdef and he can become a wrecking ball (which would work well with bulk up and a shell bell if you could pull a few off without getting slaughtered). Put him in the rain to wreck ground types and fire types, but swift swimmers with grass moves (notably hpgrass) will give you trouble. Toxicroak cannot wall this set and will likely fall to a smash boosted shadow claw. He will perform terribly in the sun because of chlorophyll abusers and solarbeam from fire types.

By the way, I would not recommend night slash over shadow claw because of justified switch ins and because toxicroak will resist your full moveset

Last edited:
Honestly I've been pretty darn pleased with Barbaracle on the whole. So far I've actually managed to sweep 2 entire people's teams with very little effort. I was packing max atk and speed evs with an Adamant nature, and my set was a bit on the gimmicky side (Razor Shell, Rock Slide, Shell Smash, and Power-up Punch) but it did wonders. I remember one time in particular my opponent switched in on Barbaracle, I set up Shell Smash and my White Herb kicked in. After that the poor guy ate a Power-up Punch, instantly KOing his TTar and...it didn't get any better for them from there.

Honestly I've been pretty darn pleased with Barbaracle on the whole. So far I've actually managed to sweep 2 entire people's teams with very little effort. I was packing max atk and speed evs with an Adamant nature, and my set was a bit on the gimmicky side (Razor Shell, Rock Slide, Shell Smash, and Power-up Punch) but it did wonders. I remember one time in particular my opponent switched in on Barbaracle, I set up Shell Smash and my White Herb kicked in. After that the poor guy ate a Power-up Punch, instantly KOing his TTar and...it didn't get any better for them from there.
Power-up punch is actually a very good idea on barbaracle for wall-breaking, especially against strong defensive walls that try to toxic stall or spam recovery moves like moonlight to pp stall. Do keep in mind that your rock slide is not tough claws boosted and that your full moveset is walled by toxicroak, which can ohko with STAB brick break/drain punch

Last edited:
Power-up punch is actually a very good idea on barbaracle for wall-breaking, especially against strong defensive walls that try to toxic stall or spam recovery moves like moonlight to pp stall. Do keep in mind that your rock slide is not tough claws boosted and that your full moveset is walled by toxicroak, which can ohko with STAB brick break/drain punch
Ah, yes I'm aware of the not boosted by Tough Claws deal. Not the Toxicroak thing, though. Appreciate that bit, so thanks! Usually I like running dual STAB, but in this case it's probably safer to run Earthquake. Makes Aegislash and Mawile think twice before switching in on you as well, so that's always a plus in my book.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
What I love most about Barbaracle is that it has just enough bulk to be able to tank moderately powerful hits and boost on them. Even at incredibly low health percentages, its ability to outspeed everything but Deo-S and any Scarfer slower than base 93 after a boost makes it deadly, especially if priority users are removed from the match first. Unfortunately, playing it aggressively like this means it can't really sweep when holding a Life Orb, as it will just kamikaze in a couple turns. I've found Lum Berry pretty useful on it personally, as it allows Barb to switch in on Talonflame and even Choice-locked Heatran without fearing a burn from their Fire moves and quickly set up and sweep.

This is one of the new Pokemon I was most genuinely hyped to use, but was kinda let down by how easily killed he is with all his weaknesses and slowness if he doesn't have a Shell Smash up. I don't think he's exactly easy to use, but he's incredibly lethal once he gets that shell smash.

As a sidenote, Gourgeist/Trevenant resist or are immune to every single one of his weaknesses. Gourgeist makes a pretty solid teammate for it in my experience, since it can tank a shitload of hits and reduce the opponent's damage output with will-o-wisp or light screen to make it easier for Barbaracle to set up.

What I love most about Barbaracle is that it has just enough bulk to be able to tank moderately powerful hits and boost on them. Even at incredibly low health percentages, its ability to outspeed everything but Deo-S and any Scarfer slower than base 93 after a boost makes it deadly, especially if priority users are removed from the match first. Unfortunately, playing it aggressively like this means it can't really sweep when holding a Life Orb, as it will just kamikaze in a couple turns. I've found Lum Berry pretty useful on it personally, as it allows Barb to switch in on Talonflame and even Choice-locked Heatran without fearing a burn from their Fire moves and quickly set up and sweep.
Putting a shell bell on him can greatly increase his survivability, but status can ruin his sweep capability. Heal bell support is highly recommended if you have such support on your team

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
I wouldnt run adamant with so many scarf genesects roaming.

Dual screens are pretty damn good with any sweeper, but especially so for barbaracle, priority cant touch you with screens up. Also, I strongly prefer EQ to cross chop because of the high level of aegislash usage.

So I've been running the scope lens set, and was wondering what the best EV's would probably be.
Barbaracle @ scope lens
Sniper
Jolly
Stone Edge
Cross Chop
Night Slash
Rock Polish

can i just say, that barbaracle is the worst looking pokemon game freak has ever made.
Slurpuff.
Sorry I just had to defend him. Anyway, with my experience, getting a shell smash up is hard due to the many ways opponents can defeat him (grass moves, other SE, status, phazing, bulky resists[Tangrowth). Dual screens is a good option but unreliable. White herb and lum berry are one time use, so if you're phased you cannot use them to setup another sweep. Life orb helps break walls, but doesn't help surviving strong hits.
What is the general consensus as to the most useful item to setup with?

While I hate judging a pokemon by its design, I have to say that barbaracle looks a million times less retarded than its preevolution.

"You said the cement wouldn't dry for at least an hour!"
"I thought it would! Believe me, I do not want to spend the rest of my life stuck here with you!"

While Barbaracle's more like

"Yeah, I've got eyes on my hands. Wanna see them up close?" *Uses Cross Chop on your face*

So I've been running the scope lens set, and was wondering what the best EV's would probably be.
Barbaracle @ scope lens
Sniper
Jolly
Stone Edge
Cross Chop
Night Slash
Rock Polish
That set is walled by toxicroak unless you swap night slash for shadow claw. Since critical hits got nerfed, and since barbaracle has a modest 105 base attack, you won't hit that hard without some kind of attack boost ( bulk up, hone claws, shell smash, etc) and will fall to a bulky pokemon with a grass, fighting, ground, or electric move, which includes the vast majority of pokemon in all tiers because they are all common coverage moves

Best EV's for a sweeper are usually 252Atk, 252spe, 4hp

That set is walled by toxicroak unless you swap night slash for shadow claw. Since critical hits got nerfed, and since barbaracle has a modest 105 base attack, you won't hit that hard without some kind of attack boost ( bulk up, hone claws, shell smash, etc) and will fall to a bulky pokemon with a grass, fighting, ground, or electric move, which includes the vast majority of pokemon in all tiers because they are all common coverage moves

Best EV's for a sweeper are usually 252Atk, 252spe, 4hp
Yeah, that's what I've been using. And IMO, crits didn't get nerfed, they got balanced. They may do less damage, but its way easier to get them. This set relies on a 50% crit rate, but doesn't need to waste a turn boosting to get that. Just from the usage I've done, sniper sets (while best done by kingdra) are great wall breakers and thanks to rock polish and pretty decent bulk, barbaracle can take it a step further and sweep. I will take your advice about the shadow claw though, don't know what I was thinking with the night slash.

so tried out barbaracles role as a support pokemon

Kind of a gimmick. It's the fuck your choice scarf genesect barbaracle

Barbaracle
Ability: Pickpocket
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Switcheroo
- Stone Edge
- toxic
- Earthquake

basically if you have a team thats weak to physical scarf/banders, this guy can come in and steal it.

I tested this guy ingame and I find it terribly underwhelming.

Even after a shell smash he doesn't do enough damage.
And I run it fully invested in speed and atk (jolly with focus sash).
Maybe I should run EQ instead of night slash.
...It hits harder than Cloyster does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)