Battle Mechanics Research

So, it seems Thrash and Outrage work differently, for some reason. Could both you, Level 51 and Tase test both moves again in Link Battles?
I tested Petal Dance against a Sap Sipper (who was already in play, not switching in) and Petal Dance did indeed cancel. Afterwards I realized it would probably be worthwhile to test all three moves each in two scenarios (already in play vs. switching in), and I also didn't think to save the video of my battle. It's really late now, but if someone hasn't done all this by tomorrow then I'll be glad to test it all then.

Tested using toxic orb overcoat duosion in a wild battle.
Duosion has 88 HP.
Damage: 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30.

EDIT: Tried poisoning by an ally in doubles, got similar results.

Overcoat does not influence toxic damage.
Would it be fair then to say the Toxic damage reset is actually a side effect of Roost? From the way it was described it'd make more sense than Overcoat having a random effect like that. Probably worth checking over if the same thing happens with Recover/Moonlight etc.
I've noticed a glaring inconsistency between what people in the general UT threads are saying about Outrage and Fairy-type switch-ins, and what actually occurs in-game (at least, when playing on Battle Spot) regarding this interaction. I've seen most people stating that when a Fairy switches in on Outrage, the Outrage user will not be locked into the move--that instead, the move is canceled and the user can choose a different move or switch out on the next turn.

However, this has not been my experience on Battle Spot. I have, in fact, been locked into (non-Choiced) Outrage against a Fairy-type switch-in, with the move continuing until the user becomes confused, just as the move would work against a target who is not immune.

Sorry if this is old news; I searched the thread beforehand and didn't see it mentioned, and I haven't seen many people acknowledging this in general either.
I saw something similar to Level 51 in battle maison, with Thrash and Ghost types.

Seems to be that the rampage simply doesn't end once it hits something immune but continues locked in but something else important worth checking comes to mind. In pre-Gen 6 Thrash type moves when hitting something immune on the last turn of the rampage or being prevented in any way such as sleep would still result in confusion.

However if the rampage was prevented in anyway on say the first or second turn of a three turn attack then the confusion would not occur, it could be different for the other moves.

In a double battle, it looks like Future Sight is spot-locked similar to Leech Seed. Also, if a pokemon standing in the targeted spot faints on the turn it's supposed to hit, the attack won't go through. I don't know if it's always worked like this. The BP increase got me curious on the mechanics though.

Would it be fair then to say the Toxic damage reset is actually a side effect of Roost? From the way it was described it'd make more sense than Overcoat having a random effect like that. Probably worth checking over if the same thing happens with Recover/Moonlight etc.
Just tested this in a doubles match with talonflame with Greninja as partner. Roost did not affect Toxic damage in any way, regardless of whether Roost was used just before or right after being poisoned(or even on the second or third turn while poisoned, might I add).

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Maybe it's a property of Overcoat that affects recovery moves? Either that or it's a property of Big Pecks or Weak Armor, or the earlier report was wrong. Can someone test these out?

Maybe it's a property of Overcoat that affects recovery moves? Either that or it's a property of Big Pecks or Weak Armor, or the earlier report was wrong. Can someone test these out?
No, Overcoat doesnt affect recovery moves, I was spamming Recover with Duosion in my earlier post. I dont think Roost would be given different treatment, though I dont have Mandibuzz to test it out.

To be honest I dont really think Big Pecks or Weak Armor would influence any such thing in any way.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
If Assist can no longer call Roar, can someone check if Sleep Talk no longer calls Roar/WW as well?

Smack Down

This move is 50 base power. I went into the doubles cafe in Lumoise City with

Carbink
Rock/Fairy
27 Attack stat

Used Smack Down against Hawlucha
Fighting/Flying
37 Defense stat

The move consistently did 10-13 damage. Smack Down does not increase base power when hitting a Flying-type pokemon.

Repeated testing on hordes of Foongus, who all had Effect Spore. If I find that the opposite's the case, I'll update.
That sounds pretty solid. If you've hit 50 or so Effect Spore enemies without a single instance of activation, the odds of that happening with a 30% chance of getting statused would be less than one in a million.

All right, so, I switched to using a Chesnaught since he's not immune to Poison, Paralysis or Sleep, but now I can't check to see whether they have Effect Spore or Regenerator (I was previously using a Carbink with Skill Swap and watching as they hit me with Feint Attack; very tedious, but also accurate since I can guarantee I have Effect Spore). The chances of them having Regenerator, though, are quite low.

So, using Power-Up Punch, Poison Jab, and a few instances of Wood Hammer, I've hit 39 of them, with not a single status condition.

Afterwards, I switched over to my Doublade and hit the last one with False Swipe. After 9 freaking hits, I was finally put to sleep. Switched back to Chesnaught to finish it off with Poison Jab. Still nothing. (I'm holding a Metronome, and I don't have the hidden ability. Doublade's got an Eviolite.)

Confirming that even the damaging trapping moves like Infestation cannot trap Ghosts.

Went to a Double Battle at Le Nah and used Fire Spin on my Aegislash; the text read "Aegislash was trapped in the fiery vortex!" and it took damage at the end of the turn, but it was able to switch the next turn. To make sure this wasn't some quirk of using it on my own team, I brought in a Hippopotas and used Fire Spin on it next, and it was unable to switch.

All right, so, I switched to using a Chesnaught since he's not immune to Poison, Paralysis or Sleep, but now I can't check to see whether they have Effect Spore or Regenerator (I was previously using a Carbink with Skill Swap and watching as they hit me with Feint Attack; very tedious, but also accurate since I can guarantee I have Effect Spore). The chances of them having Regenerator, though, are quite low.

So, using Power-Up Punch, Poison Jab, and a few instances of Wood Hammer, I've hit 39 of them, with not a single status condition.

Afterwards, I switched over to my Doublade and hit the last one with False Swipe. After 9 freaking hits, I was finally put to sleep. Switched back to Chesnaught to finish it off with Poison Jab. Still nothing. (I'm holding a Metronome, and I don't have the hidden ability. Doublade's got an Eviolite.)
Here's an idea: Get a pokémon with Trace, catch one of those Foongus with Effect Spore, and get engaged in a double (Or triple battle) with a partner with weak contact moves. It's easier than gambling for status due to the possibility of Regenerator

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Testing Outrage vs. glorious Fairies.

Turn 1
Charizard switched in.
Gardevoir switched in.
Charizard used Outrage!
[lol no damage]
Gardevoir used Calm Mind!
-------
Turn 2
Gardevoir switched out.
Hydreigon switched in.
Charizard used Outrage BUT WAS NOT LOCKED IN, MY FRIEND IS DUMB
-------
Turn 3
Hydreigon switched out.
Gardevoir switched in.
Charizard used Outrage!
[lol no damage]
Charizard is confused!
-------
Turn 4
Charizard switched out.
Aegislash switched in.
-------
Turn 5
Gardevoir switched out.
Abomasnow switched in.
Aegislash switched out.
Charizard switched in.
-------
Turn 6
Abomasnow switched out.
Gardevoir switched in.
Charizard used Outrage!
[lol no damage]
-------
Turn 7
Gardevoir switched out.
Abomasnow switched in.
Charizard used Roost!
-------
turn 8
Abomasnow Mega Evolved!
Charizard used Outrage!
Abomasnow used Wood Hammer!
-------
Turn 9
Abomasnow switched out.
Gardevoir switched in.
Charizard used Outrage!
[lol no damage]
[no confusion either]
-------
Turn 10
Charizard used Roost!
[ragequit]

So, what I gather from this switchfest is that

1. If an immune pokémon switches in on the first or second turn, or is already in the field, the Outrage user will not be locked the next turn.
2. Outrage will inflict confusion every time it ends, regardless of an immune pokémon switching in.
3. I have no idea what happens if Outrage somehow misses. If it does, you're using Evasion and should be banned so to hell with you.
4. This game is shit.

Video proof: HADW-WWWW-WWW2-BA8Z

And yes, I know it's "lebensraum", that was a mistake on my part

Hey guys, I did some testing on stuff I saw that did not seem quite right.

First of all I would like to confirm once and for all that if a fairy switches in to Outrage you do not get locked, regardless of what turn of Outrage it is (if it was the last turn you do still get confused).

Second I saw all over this site people just assuming tough claws was a 20% boost without any proof. So I tested it. I used entrainment on a charizard x for testing the unboosted damage.

Damage:No tough claws

average = 54.81

Damage: Tough Claws

average = 70.57

boosted/unboosted = 1.29%

30% boost.

Last edited:

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Oh, I thought it was a 50% boost. Boring.

So, [generic contact ability] = 30%, [jaw ability] = 50%, [pulse/aura ability] = 50% too. What about Iron Fist, Reckless, Sheer Force and any other ability I forgot now?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)