Battle Mechanics Research

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I'm not entirely sure about when it was proven, but we know it to be true. A specific post that I remember (I might be able to find it for you, but for now I will quote) states that a pokemon (I think it was Starmie) that shouldn't have outsped MegaGengar did, and that is because you do not get the mega stats until the turn after megavolving.
I'm pretty sure all offensive and defensive stats get a boost the moment you Mega Evolve, due to experience. The only one we don't know is Speed, and it's only relevant to Electro Ball and Gyro Ball.

I'm not entirely sure about when it was proven, but we know it to be true. A specific post that I remember (I might be able to find it for you, but for now I will quote) states that a pokemon (I think it was Starmie) that shouldn't have outsped MegaGengar did, and that is because you do not get the mega stats until the turn after megavolving.
Turn order has always been set before any move in the battle is done (this was specially obvious in doubles that Tailwind, Icy Wind, etc... didin't alter the speed order until the next turn), but stats haven't been proven to remain the same afaik

Tested Sheer Force and Life orb. If you use a sheer force applicable move, the life orb damage is negated. I didn't do a damage calc to see if the life orb boost was still working, but I think it's safe to assume the mechanic is the same as Gen V.

You probably already knew this, but couple people in other forums and the first page of this thread were asking.

Well, I COULD be wrong. As you said, your quote only mentions turn order, it does not prove that I am wrong about the stats remaining the same.

Do you have another quote that proves all the stats change? If not then I would think that the stats stay the same until next turn, because turn order is based on speed and it makes no sense for only the speed to remain the same. It also makes no sense that the turn order is decided before megavolution because what if you were to use a priority move? That rule would force you to go slower than the opponent even if you used bullet punch on the turn you megavolved.

I do. When I tested tough claws damage, the first turn I megaevolved I recorded the damage. The damage was within 2 points of the first turn damage the second turn, and it was 2 points lower. This is impossible if the stats did not change until the second turn. You can also tell when fighting the E4 if your using a special move the turn gardevoir evolves. I used an attack it has no hope of surviving un-evolved and it always lives it.

As far as turn order being decided before megaevolving this is true. I outspeed the gardevoir the first turn and it outspeeds me the second, every time (note my stats have changed by lvl up between E4 runs so it can't be a speed tie). The turn order is decided after moves are selected so move priority is taken into account, but not your stat changes. So if you are slower, but megaevolve and bullet punch your bullet punch will still have +1 priority. It is also worth mentioning that someone confirmed in this thread that if you megevolve and select pursuit and your opponent switches out, you will megevolve before your pursuit and still have the increased stats when dealing the damage on the pursuit, despite the fact that normally megaevolving happens after switching.

When your pokémon mega evolves are its current stats raised or is it given new base stats. If so, then you could baton pass your mega evolved pokémon's stats onto another pokémon allowing for dangerous combos. Or using haze could eliminate the usefulness of mega evolution outside of abilities.
It changes the base stats. It does not work like stat stages. At the very least baton pass does not pass anything, tested with Mega Mawile.

I don't think this has been posted here yet, but one of my friends just informed me that EVs now max out at 252 per stat instead of 255. He assures me he has tested it, but you guys might want to confirm for yourself.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't think this has been posted here yet, but one of my friends just informed me that EVs now max out at 252 per stat instead of 255. He assures me he has tested it, but you guys might want to confirm for yourself.
While I have not gone out of my way to test this, from my experience just training Pokemon, I feel confident saying that yes, this is true. I have had guys maxed out in one stat (tells me so from a super training bag), and only a couple points away in another, when I would beat a hoard giving me like 50 EVs. Even with both of those stats now definitely maxed out, I still was able to get 6 more from a large super training bag of a third stat. So while it seems the max is still 510, insuring 2 will always be wasted, the individual stat max is most likely 252 now.

Just made an account to report this in, given I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else: Wide Guard and Quick Guard appear not to lose success rate with consecutive uses like they used to. I saw a Mantine use Wide Guard in Le Yeah four times in a row, and I just went and tested Quick Guard and got seven uses in a row. Sorry if this just hasn't been added to the original post or is wrong or something: I encourage people to test it out for themselves, since all you need is a pokemon with the relevant move and somewhere to get into a battle.

Additionally, the description now reads "The user protects itself and its allies from priority moves" for Quick Guard. No mention of a failure chance if used in succession.

EDIT: Just tested 15 Quick Guards in a row, zero failures. Will now check how it interacts with Protect. I'm guessing Wide Guard will be similar whatever happens, but I don't have anything on hand to test that with.

EDIT 2: A preliminary sample of five Protects followed by Quick Guards suggests Quick Guard after Protect also does not suffer from failure. However, I can confirm that Protect after Quick Guard is susceptible to failure, meaning it's likely Quick/Wide Guard still count as "protection" moves, but don't have the failure chance themselves.

Last edited:
I know for a fact that Super Training can only max out at 252 per stat, but I have no idea in terms of standard EV Training. I wager it's the same, but I haven't felt like accidentally screwing up my EV training to test as of yet. I'll test it right now and edit in my results when I'm done.

However, it's not a particularly big deal if normal EV Training still maxes at 255. All you'd need to do is do 5 Horde battles against pokemon that give 1 EV per with Pokerus and your Power Item ([1 base + 4 from power item] * 5 pokemon * 2 from Pokerus = 50 EVs per Horde battle) and then use one session of Level 1 Super Training to get the remaining 2 points.

Standard EV training does indeed also cap at 252 EV points per stat. The cap is still 510 total per pokemon.

Last edited:
I double checked with him, he says he tested it with horde battles and he got 252, 252, 6 without taking off the power item to get just 2 EVs in either of those stats that were max.

I double checked with him, he says he tested it with horde battles and he got 252, 252, 6 without taking off the power item to get just 2 EVs in either of those stats that were max.
Just finished up testing. I put a Power Anklet on a Breloom with 0 EVs and did 7 Horde Battles against a combination of Wingulls and Mareep. Definitely got over 255 potential EV points.

Had Breloom punch a Reset Bag, and it said that Breloom lost 252 Speed EVs. So yes, EVs now cap out at 252 per individual stat instead of 255. The maximum total is still 510.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I did a quick test on this, and I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this but...

Payback is still only 50 Power against a switching target, not getting any boost in power.

Ingrain + Ghost Type = Switch? Trevenant for example..

Also, does swticheroo work with Mega Stones? Specifically thinking of a Pokemon holding Focus Sash, and an ally (in double Battle) holding the Mega Stone that could allow the ally to Mega Evolve.

Last edited:
Ingrain + Ghost Type = Switch? Trevenant for example..

Also, does swticheroo work with Mega Stones? Specifically thinking of a Pokemon holding Focus Sash, and an ally (in double Battle) holding the Mega Stone that could allow the ally to Mega Evolve.
Mega Stones cannot be taken or otherwise disturbed, be it through Trick, Knock Off, Thief, Switcheroo or Covet. I don't even think you can Fling them.
That said, what about Embargo and Magic Room? Has anyone tried that?

Just finished up testing. I put a Power Anklet on a Breloom with 0 EVs and did 7 Horde Battles against a combination of Wingulls and Mareep. Definitely got over 255 potential EV points.

Had Breloom punch a Reset Bag, and it said that Breloom lost 252 Speed EVs. So yes, EVs now cap out at 252 per individual stat instead of 255. The maximum total is still 510.

Huh. Wonder what will happen if you use Pokémon Bank to transfer a Pokémon with 255 EVs. Would it just lose 3 EVs in the transfer?

(I do realize that there's no way to test this yet; just some food for thought.)

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Mega Stones cannot be taken or otherwise disturbed, be it through Trick, Knock Off, Thief, Switcheroo or Covet. I don't even think you can Fling them.
That said, what about Embargo and Magic Room? Has anyone tried that?
I tested Magic Room earlier on, and it doesn't negate Mega Stones. By a similar logic, neither would Embargo, but that must definitely be tested.

Facts about kangaskhan's mega evolution (tested by me):
1:If mega kangaskhan uses a move that would fail if used twice the child does not use it (example: attract, weather changing moves, protecting moves, status inflicters, etc.)
2:Moves that switch traits with the target like skill swap cannot be taught to kangaskhan, ergo what would happen if said moves were used remains a mystery.
3:The juvenile kangaskhan's attacks inflict half the damage of the adult's.
4: If mega kangaskhan uses a attacking move that changes either kangaskhan or the targets stats like power up punch or rock tomb the stats are changed twice but if kangaskhan uses a move like leer that changes stats without dealing any damage it only hits once.
5: The juvenile kangaskhan CAN attack on the turn kangaskhan mega evolved.
6: Effects like paralysis through moves like thunderbolt can be inflicted by kangaskhan's child.
7:The baby kangaskhan can preform critical hits.
8: The child kangaskhan does apply weakness and resistance in its attacks.
Conclusion:
The baby kangaskhan only exists to preform attacking moves. In fact, one can guess that baby kangaskhan doesn't even use said move. It probably is programmed to just copy the damage and stat changes before halving the damage it's mother did and then applying weakness and resistance. But a kangaskhan with power up punch could prove a worthy sweeper.

Last edited:

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Interesting quirk with paralyze and Mega Evolution. You can Mega Evolve and become fully paralyzed that same turn:

Turn 1: Opposing Pokemon uses Thunder Wave, Mawile is paralyzed.
Turn 2: Mawile evolves into Mega Mawile! Mawile is fully paralyzed and doesn't attack.

Also, Memento will trigger Defiant twice: Once for the Attack drop, and once for the Special Attack drop.

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
How about circle throw? Would that shuffle two opponents? Does the baby act before or after the switch?
that was tested earlier this thread along with a bunch of the above probably, it deals damage twice and only shuffles the one Pokemon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)