Battle Mechanics Research

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
Sorry if it's been cleared before, but does Knock Off do more damage if the item can't be removed(due to sticky hold, Arceus+plate, Genesect+drive, or Giratina+griseous orb)? Also, if it the held item is Rocky Helmet, does the user get damaged from it? And is Sticky Barb removed or does it stick to the user?

Sorry if it's been cleared before, but does Knock Off do more damage if the item can't be removed(due to sticky hold, Arceus+plate, Genesect+drive, or Giratina+griseous orb)? Also, if it the held item is Rocky Helmet, does the user get damaged from it? And is Sticky Barb removed or does it stick to the user?
It will still be boosted only if it failed due to Sticky Hold.
The user gets damaged by Rocky Helmet, and if the user faints on the attack, the Rocky Helmet won't be removed.
And I am unaware of what happens with Sticky Barb, but I assume that it's activated.

Question, does freeze dry bypass Wonder Guard? The best way I can think to try this would be a soaked shedinja being targeted by the move

This may or may not be obvious, but I found out something neat regarding Magic Room:
it negates the effects of Arceus's held plate and changes its type back to Normal. amended, only the move Judgement reverts to the normal type under Magic Room's influence.

However, Arceus will not change color when this happens.
proof: W4XG-WWWW-WWW7-FK5H
This may or may not be a thing for you Doubles Ubers enthusiasts to play around with.

Gerard
Freeze Dry will hit Shedinja if its type is changed to water.
proof: VENG-WWWW-WWW7-FK56

Last edited:

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
This may or may not be obvious, but I found out something neat regarding Magic Room:
it negates the effects of Arceus's held plate and changes its type back to Normal.
However, Arceus will not change color when this happens.
proof: W4XG-WWWW-WWW7-FK5H
This may or may not be a thing for you Doubles Ubers enthusiasts to play around with.

Gerard
Freeze Dry will hit Shedinja if its type is changed to water.
proof: VENG-WWWW-WWW7-FK56
Weird. It works for Arceus plates but not MegaEvos, I guess? How about Giratina-O?

Weird. It works for Arceus plates but not MegaEvos, I guess? How about Giratina-O?
/Le Nah
Giratina-O remains unaffected by Magic Room.
I had mine attack my own Klefki with Steel Wing before and after Magic Room's activation.
There was no change in damage ranges after Magic Room went up.

"140+ Atk Giratina-O Steel Wing vs. 236 HP / 36+ Def Klefki through Reflect: 81-95 (45 - 52.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
(81, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95)"
Bolded numbers denote the damage Klefki took.

Then I had Mamoswine use Earthquake when Klefki fainted; Giratina-O kept its ability Levitate.

I guess Magic Room doesn't affect items that change a Pokemon's base stats and/or ability.
I sorta figured it'd be the case for Giratina-O too. Bleh.

I wonder what wacky thing I'll find out totally by accident next.

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
Magic Room:
it negates the effects of Arceus's held plate and changes its type back to Normal.
I hope I'm not out of line, but are you sure about that last part?

The message after Milotic's Blizzard still claims that it is a super effective hit; maybe Magic Room only negates the Plate for Judgment's effect, but not for Multitype.

I'd suggest testing with a possible immunity.

I hope I'm not out of line, but are you sure about that last part?

The message after Milotic's Blizzard still claims that it is a super effective hit; maybe Magic Room only negates the Plate for Judgment's effect, but not for Multitype.

I'd suggest testing with a possible immunity.
I was mistaken, yeah, I completely forgot about blizzard dealing double damage to Arceus.
Arceus's Judgment move changes to the Normal type under the effects of Magic Room if it has a plate;
it still retains its typing for all other instances, including using its other moves for STAB if it has any.

Tested with my Klefki, Arceus-Ghost, and Giratina-O.
Under Magic Room's influence the following happened:
Judgement did not affect Giratina-O
those stupid monkeys in le nah were able to lick arceus for double damage
Klefki's Return did nothing to Arceus-Ghost.
Arceus-Ghost's shadow claw KOed Klefki; if it lost its STAB on that move, Klefki would have lived despite being 42 levels lower.

Can you test the possibility that switching out a Xerneas into a Zygarde, keeps the effect of Aura Break lowering the damage of fairy moves for that turn.

I noticed this as a possibility earlier, but since I rarely play in-cart, I keep forgetting to actually test this for sure.

Lord Lugia

Banned deucer.
Can you take the megastone from a pokemon with moves like Trick or Thief?
Does doing so on an already mega-evolved pokemon revert them? (I'd be so suprised if this were the case)
Does Magic Room prevent mega-evolution from occuring?
No, you cannot steal mega-stones in ANY form... I've tried them ALL... switcheroo, trick, thief, to no avail...

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Does Flower Veil prevent status of all grass types on the user's side? Including or excluding the user if it's not grass type? Or does it only prevent status on the user?

I don't know if this has been discussed yet or not, but I was recently battling against a Sceptile in a doubles battle in the Battle Maison. I had Reuniclus and Scrafty on my side of the field, and he had a Cryogonal for his other Pokémon. So Sceptile used Leaf Storm on my Reuniclus, and managed to knock it out; however, what's strange is that he didn't get a Special Attack drop from doing so. Is there a logical explanation for this/can anyone else confirm this?

I don't know if this has been discussed yet or not, but I was recently battling against a Sceptile in a doubles battle in the Battle Maison. I had Reuniclus and Scrafty on my side of the field, and he had a Cryogonal for his other Pokémon. So Sceptile used Leaf Storm on my Reuniclus, and managed to knock it out; however, what's strange is that he didn't get a Special Attack drop from doing so. Is there a logical explanation for this/can anyone else confirm this?
when you say it didn't get a special attack drop, do you mean you didn't see the message "Sceptile's Special Attack harshly fell!", or that it didn't deal reduced damage on a subsequent attack? for the former, the only thing that came to mind was mist now blocking self-inflicted stat drops, but a quick test disproved that, so idk. for the latter, there's a sceptile with leaf storm and white herb, so it's entirely possible you just didn't see the messages for whatever reason.

either way, a battle video would help immensely if you had one.

when you say it didn't get a special attack drop, do you mean you didn't see the message "Sceptile's Special Attack harshly fell!", or that it didn't deal reduced damage on a subsequent attack? for the former, the only thing that came to mind was mist now blocking self-inflicted stat drops, but a quick test disproved that, so idk. for the latter, there's a sceptile with leaf storm and white herb, so it's entirely possible you just didn't see the messages for whatever reason.

either way, a battle video would help immensely if you had one.
Unfortunately, I don't have a battle video, but I didn't see any message (it just went to the "select next Pokémon" screen, and I was paying attention the entire time), and no one used Mist in the battle.

Does Flower Veil prevent status of all grass types on the user's side? Including or excluding the user if it's not grass type? Or does it only prevent status on the user?
As someone running a Grass team in Unrated Battle Spot, it protects all Grass-types on your team from paralysis/burn/sleep/freeze/poison and stat drops. It's ignored by Mold Breaker/Teravolt/Turboblaze. It does not protect the user if the user is not Grass-type (Florges).

Speaking of the Grass team, how the fuck does Sceptile survive Mega Pinsir's Return? Turn 2 of this video: K9NW-WWWW-WWW7-YG96

According to Showdown: 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Sceptile: 366-432 (250.6 - 295.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

And even with absolute minimum Attack: 0- Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Sceptile: 278-330 (190.4 - 226%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:
Giratina-O remains unaffected by Magic Room.
I had mine attack my own Klefki with Steel Wing before and after Magic Room's activation.
There was no change in damage ranges after Magic Room went up.

"140+ Atk Giratina-O Steel Wing vs. 236 HP / 36+ Def Klefki through Reflect: 81-95 (45 - 52.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
(81, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95)"
Bolded numbers denote the damage Klefki took.

Then I had Mamoswine use Earthquake when Klefki fainted; Giratina-O kept its ability Levitate.

I guess Magic Room doesn't affect items that change a Pokemon's base stats and/or ability.
I sorta figured it'd be the case for Giratina-O too. Bleh.
Did you test if the 20% bonus on Ghost and Dragon attacks was negated by Magic Room? While you clearly prove Giratina-O stays in its form even when Magic Room is active, it may be possible that the bonus provided by the Griseous Orb is negated even though it's a pokemon-specific item and one part of its effect isn't negated.

Cobalt314
The only explanation I can think of would be that Sceptile already was at -6 (which is unlikely, since you would probably have noticed this anyway). Other than that, I don't have any idea what could prevent the SpA drop completely from happening.
Assuming the possibility you overlooked something, an alternative explanation to White Herb might be the activation of Overgrow. If you were surprised by an 'impossibly' high damage next turn, Overgrow may have caused it despite the SpA drop actually happening. It's just a theory though, and if you explicitly noticed the lack of a message, and not a higher than expected damage (or it wasn't in Overgrow range, or it didn't attack after the turn in question), it's obviously wrong.

Yo guys, I don't own the original game so I was wondering wether abilities activate before or after hazards damage. Let's say I send my Mega Alakazam against a Competitive Milotic and Sticky Web is on the field. Do I trace Competitive before the speed drop, consequently raising my Sp. Atk., or not?

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Abilities activate after hazards - for example, if your Politoed dies to Spikes damage when it switches in, it will not change the weather to Rain.

Beat Up: This move is dependent on the base Attack stat of each Pokemon in the party. If one of your Pokemon receives a base Attack stat boost (due to Mega Evolution), will the corresponding hit from the Mega also receive an increase in base power?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)